Wedding Woes
Options

This guy is the worst.

Dear Prudence,
My wife and I were elated to find out we are going to have a daughter! We decided to discuss names last week and gave ourselves three days to prepare our ideas. I spent a ton of time on this, and even put together a presentation with each name and the reasons I liked them. I chose some important family names and some special names from literature and the arts—all of which I think would be beautiful. My wife showed up with a few names scribbled on the back of a grocery list as if she hardly even cared! Also her ideas were trashy, misspelled names like Lauryn and Bethonie and 18th-century presidents’ names like Madison, Taylor, and Polk. I was so disappointed in my wife for not taking this seriously, as I feel it is very important. Honestly, this episode has me questioning the foundation of our relationship, let alone raising a child together. Obviously, I can’t just leave now because I am committed to the child, but how can my wife and I get past this major red flag in our relationship? I have tried to discuss it with her and she doesn’t even think she has done anything wrong, so we are at a major impasse.

—Baby Name Blow-Up

Re: This guy is the worst.

• Options
    MUD. 10000000% MUD. There is no way this guy is for real.
  • Options
    Joney said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    Dear Prudence,
    My wife and I were elated to find out we are going to have a daughter! We decided to discuss names last week and gave ourselves three days to prepare our ideas. I spent a ton of time on this, and even put together a presentation (aka: world's worst power point) with each name and the reasons I liked them. I chose some important family names and some special names from literature and the arts (I have an insatiable need to prove I'm the smartest person in the room)—all of which I think would be beautiful. My wife showed up with a few names scribbled on the back of a grocery list as if she hardly even cared! (She's spending her time doing stupid stuff like groceries, unlike me.  *clicks to page 3 of power point: Hermione*). Also her ideas were trashy, misspelled names like Lauryn and Bethonie and 18th-century presidents’ names (seriously, I'm THE SMARTEST) like Madison, Taylor, and Polk. I was so disappointed in my wife for not taking this seriously, as I feel it is very important (unlike grocery shopping to provide sustinance for my unborn child). Honestly, this episode has me questioning the foundation of our relationship, let alone raising a child together. Obviously, I can’t just leave now because I am committed to the child, but how can my wife and I get past this major red flag in our relationship? I have tried to discuss it with her and she doesn’t even think she has done anything wrong (it took her weeks to realize I wasn't joking!!), so we are at a major impasse.

—Baby Name Blow-Up

Yup. This is exactly how I read this letter as well. 
  • Options
    As a crazy person I can understand how the littlest thing can have you questioning your whole relationship, for 30 seconds. Definitely not enough time to write Prudie. 
  • Options
    Total MUD. 
  • Options
    I keep coming back to this letter because it's so appalling to me.  It's like he's calling his wife an idiot because she would never understand that "Emma" could possibly be a shout-out to Jane Austen, so she needs a slide-show presentation to "get" it.

I dated a guy like that, once.  He NEVER acted like I had a brain.  I'd point to a cloud and say, "That cloud looks like a unicorn," and he'd say, "That's a cumulonimbus," and give me a 10-minute lecture on the cloud.  I got a new smartphone and was playing with all the functions, checking the apps, and he points to the QR scanner app, and said, "You know what that is?  It's a barcode scanner.  You hold the camera up to a barcode and it scans it and you can find the same product at other retailers.  Here, let me show you how it works."

We broke up.

This guys sounds like that ex.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    He's an asshole.  And a nut job.  How did Prudie respond?  Please tell me she put him in his place.

Might just be the couples in my family, but name picking goes: Wife: "I was thinking ___ for the baby's name" Husband: "sounds great"

• Options
    I keep coming to this .... lol

I'm also kinda stuck on the presentation part. Necessary? No.

I would jokingly do that with M if we were down to a couple names and were really not willing to budge and wanted other person to be convinced. But otherwise ... no need.
  • Options
    Oh dear.  How did Prudie respond?
  • Options
    @cowgirl8238  hahahaha I love the names people give cats when they're bad :')
  • Options
    Yes - we need the "How did Prudie Respond" for this one!

He's lucky she didn't Bobbit him...  They've got until a couple days after the baby arrives to name the baby (The little guy didn't have a name until the morning we were about leave the hospital - I wanted a different name than he got, but DS seemed to like his name better ;O)  It's one thing to disagree on spelling and insist as a must that "The kid be able to buy something with their name on it!".  The rest is narcissism on his part...  I wonder how Maddy will come around to him...
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    We didn't decide on Chiquita's name until we pulled into the parking lot of the hospital for my induction.   

This guy seems to be wound tighter than Cameron Frye. 
    It was the night before they left the hospital that my sister and BIL finally agreed on what to name the baby. 
  • Options
    Well, LOREN is a man's name, but LAUREN has always been a woman's name. Like Kerry and Carrie. Or Francis and Frances. So, you know. Spelling counts, IMO, but we all know how I feel about extraneous Ys and "creative" spellings. I can't even get weird for my characters, whose weirdest (not non-American, not non-British) name is Coventry. 

But Polk. You can't beat that. 
  • Options
    baconsmom said:
    Well, LOREN is a man's name, but LAUREN has always been a woman's name. Like Kerry and Carrie. Or Francis and Frances. So, you know. Spelling counts, IMO, but we all know how I feel about extraneous Ys and "creative" spellings. I can't even get weird for my characters, whose weirdest (not non-American, not non-British) name is Coventry. 

But Polk. You can't beat that. 
    I have a female friend named Kerry.
  • Options

baconsmom said:

Polk. 

That is all. 

tbh, that's what made it stand out as MUD to me...

That said, when our first niece was about to be born, MIL was going on and on about the worst baby names. Like Sullivan. For. A. GIRL. And I admit I kinda somewhat judge SIL for giving both her daughters R names with an improperly placed 'y' in them. And for naming the first one a boy's name. But they're not my kids and we're almost certainly not having any at all, so meh. I was probably more pissed at her H's dad's suggestion that they need to keep trying for more so they can get a boy 'to carry on the name.' Like one of the girls couldn't keep her last name for whatever reason. Or hell, neither one might even want kids. A boy might not either.
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

kvruns said:

They blasted him on HuffPost Parents fb page too!

Wishing you a healthy pregnancy @redwoodoriginal
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Max had a name the fastest.  When they told us he was 9 lb 8 oz we decided in the delivery room he was a Max.  The other 2 weren't named until just before leaving the hospital.
  • Options
    Man, I can't get this letter out of my head. I wish it was MUD, but I know douchey guys who would actually do something like this, so I don't have much hope it's fake. Fuck this guy. 

• Options
    Somehow I missed the presentation part. I can see his wedding proposal: 15 reasons you should marry me.