Wedding Woes

Thursday?

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited May 2017 in Wedding Woes
This weather is ridiculous.  And I might need to build an ark because it feels like it will never.stop.raining.  There are areas around us that I've never seen flood that are currently flooded.  

Yesterday was my day off.  I worked a little in the morning and then went out shopping. I never got a nap like I really wanted.  Such is life. 

We need to start working on an end of school year project for DefConn this weekend.  They're doing the 'Kindy 500' race and we have to make him a race car out of a shipping box.  I think it's going to be fun.  

Re: Thursday?

• Seriously, so. much. rain. We actually have a flood watch. 

Other than that tons of grading, meeting with students, and other end of the semester fun. So ready for the weekend. H is going out of town, but I'm going out with a few friends to hibachi and then to a bar with old school arcade games. And more grading. 
  • @mrsconn23  we've been getting crazy rain too. I laugh because one area of my city that is known for "old money" is flooded like crazy!
    Arc might be an idea ...

@charlotte989875  WHOO Old school arcades! Playing up that #throwbackthursday ;)

Not a whole lot last night. Starting tonight is when we've gotta get on top of stuff.
    Tonight we're going over list of groceries. M isn't big on sandwiches and I've been just bringing bagels/english muffins to work to go with the pb I have. It started after I was out with stomach problems and just continued.
    We're going to try the idea of more like nibbles - veggies, cheese, crackers, dip, etc - with occasional sandwiches or left overs.

I also accidentally tossed my wedding ring behind my dresser and as I was hunting for it, discovered SO MUCH FUR AND DUST underneath!

I have to vacuum upstairs anyways .... *sigh*

I'm off tomorrow, and suddenly it's busier than expected. Allergist, then groceries, stopping at my mum's, bank, lunch {burritos because cinco de mayo!} and possibly a couch.

Have to start going thru boxes because M's lunch kit {says 'Bazinga!' on it :)!} is in a box still ... might be using it. I wanna at least get it out.

Saturday we're suppose to go to poutine fest .... we'll see on weather.

Sunday we're getting a table from my coworker. Suppose to rain like mad :( But we'll see what happens.
  • I'm trying to work on my professional development plan for work, and I'm really struggling.  They want me to actually think about how I want to get from where I am now to a supervisory position.  All I can think is, "Can I please just be allowed to settle into THIS job and figure out how to become proficient at this before we start trying to shove 'leadership opportunities' down my throat?"  I understand completely why my supervisors are encouraging this, but I want to get from here:

to here:

before I start thinking about the next step in my career.  I have barely been here 6 months.  That learning curve still looks like Mt. Everest.

So this is fun.

Tonight is probably a little gardening, weather permitting.  I'm debating on whether I should go to the book club meeting tonight or not.  I read the book.  Hated it, but I read it, so maybe I will.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• @mrsconn23 that sounds fun!

H and I got into a fight last night because he seems overly worried about buying a house. He's up for a promotion and I'm on my way to a new job, so it's going to be fine. Actually, even without those, it's going to be fine. We literally just need to cancel cable to be have our bills be the same. As he was fretting for the umpteenth time about the new mortgage payment, I said, "If you're not ready, we can wait." That set him off because apparently it was the third time he's had to tell me that he wants to buy the house, etc, etc. After trying to explain why I was upset (being condescended to), I shut down. I see no point in continuing if you can't get your point across. He kept thinking it was his words and I couldn't get him to understand it was his tone. IDK if he thought about it after I went to bed because he sent me a text apologizing. I went out and told him that WE have to talk better to each other, because I'm guilty of it too. 

I can't remember which of you just went through this, but damn...why does buying a house have to be so damn stressful and relationship testing?
  • @DrillSergeantCat  I literally went through the SAME with M when buying a house. The day after we moved we got into a huge argument because we were both so stressed out, and without knowing it, had also been talking to me in a condescending way.
    Which turned to him saying I wasn't helpful at all with moving - I had suggested movers, but noooooo - and I explained that I spent majority of the day having a migraine and panic attacks, hence lack of help. {to which he got mad I didn't tell him ... blah blah blah. Cue the tears from me ... hour later it was fine.}
    At least the arguments are getting out now and hopefully it's smoother going forward.
  • @DrillSergeantCat, we went through this about 6 months ago.  It was stressful for us because it we were doing it all long distance, and it was just a bad time in general (new jobs, the move, trying to turn our other place into an income property, all the family drama, etc.).  We definitely had our disagreements on location and price and everything.  I wanted a formal living room and dining room, he said it was wasted space.  I wanted 4 bedrooms and a nice kitchen, he wanted lots of land.  I told him I would take 3 bedrooms with a space to add/finish if we wanted AND land, he wanted MORE land (no, just kidding, he was totally fine with my compromise).

But he also did a lot of worrying because we essentially doubled our mortgage, he wasn't convinced I'd get approved for a second (bigger) loan, he also wanted to rent before we bought so we could feel out the area (which I understood but knew wasn't going to happen because no one will rent to someone who owns a Doberman), there was a whole lot of miscommunication throughout the closing process that added stress...  So his anxiety about money and the loan and all the other things I hadn't thought would be an issue added to my anxiety, which was already at a breaking point because of the new job.

I think home-buying, whether it's the first time or the 30th time, is just a stressful event.  It's a lot of money, especially up front, and the moves themselves are just hard.  And it's not up to us whether or not the loan is approved at all, so the lack of control and say and influence we have is even more stress.  That, for us, was probably the biggest stressor.

Our communication wasn't great (it still isn't, but it's vastly improved), so that didn't help, either.  I'll lay a lot of that blame on me, because I know I was extremely volatile with all that was going on in my life.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Oh my goodness, I am actually having to WORK today.  I'm worried about the shock to my system, lol.

And it's so "Murphy's Law".  For the last few months, there hasn't been much and I spend a lot of my days doing nothing.  But I'm taking tomorrow off, so that already pushed both my weekly and monthly reports needing to be done by today.  So, I'm already busy yesterday and today.  Then, out of the blue, ANOTHER department I support dropped a big project on my lap that needs to be done today.  Lately, most weeks have been nothing or a couple hours here and there.

It will all get done.  Someway, somehow.  Probably with me working through some of my lunch and working late, lol.  But at least I have a 3-day weekend!  That is what is getting through.

It's been crazy rain here, as well.  Though it looks like most of it is has passed.  I have to give kudos to my Izzy dog.  Like a lot of dogs, she is afraid of thunder.  She doesn't have bad behavior at least, but she just looks upset and becomes a major snuggler.  She normally sleeps at the foot of my bed.  I woke up because of the storm in the middle of the night and saw she was awake.  I motioned for her to come up next to me at the top of the bed.  Y'all, she was shaking a little and her heart was beating really fast because she was so scared!  But she was still being a good girl and staying on her end of the bed until she was given permission to come to the top.  Needless to say, she got lots of snuggles and soft, soothing words from me!   

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @NiceKindaSpice  tbh I would feel offended with the test as well. Is it with the new president this is happening, or is this a company thing?

Ahhh the emotional parts of a wedding. I don't miss it lol but there will be a lot of random pieces that will make you emotional .... always hard to tell if it's good or bad ;)
  • @Heffalump  yikes! I've heard it's nerves that can cause that - idk how true that is but hopefully you don't have too many issues and can heal well!! :(
    That bow tie though <3!

• Tonight is probably a little gardening, weather permitting.  I'm debating on whether I should go to the book club meeting tonight or not.  I read the book.  Hated it, but I read it, so maybe I will.

hey, go and talk about why you hated it.  That's something! 
    I really need to join a club.  Not a book club, because you probably have to like reading do join, right? but like...another meet up group where I'm not home most nights just watching TV.

• @mrsconn23  that sounds like a fun project! 

@NiceKindaSpice that's super irritating!  My friend, who is an English teacher had to take, some tests to be hired as a freelancer at a language school because there were some grammar mistakes in her CV (I think it was something like a comma was used inconsistently).  Anyways, she found a bunch of grammatical mistakes in the language school's test.  Yay for dresses!!

The wind is atrocious. I biked for five kilometers with the worst head wind in an open field -- arrived to pick the kids up a sweaty mess.  It's now about the rain, and they've chosen this moment to go outside and play football. An hour ago it was sunny....

It's Liberation Day tomorrow!  They celebrate the Canadians came in and liberated them from the Nazis. Does this earn me breakfast in bed from DH?  J/k. 

• @Heffalump  yikes! I've heard it's nerves that can cause that - idk how true that is but hopefully you don't have too many issues and can heal well!! :(
    That bow tie though <3!

Yeah, chickenpox virus lurks in your body for decades, then wakes up one day and decides to attack your nerves.  It's awesome. :\
  • @NiceKindaSpice, I generally try to grow everything.  Pretty much the only thing I haven't tried is fruit trees, since we likely won't be in one place long enough for them to mature to fruiting.  That's probably the absolute biggest killer for me with the job I have, the mobility requirement.  It has been one of my lifelong dreams to have a yard filled with peach, pecan, and apple trees.  

This year, we have several varieties of tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers, zucchini, corn, green beans, peas, broccoli, kale, lettuce, carrots, some herbs in the veggie garden.  Raspberries and blackberries near the house.

On the flower front, we have a million rose bushes, hydrangeas, glads, irises, tulips (my favorites), all manner of lilies, wildflowers, and daffodils, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Gardening is one of my biggest passions.  I can't decide if DH likes it because of me, or because he actually genuinely likes it.  No matter--I'll take it.

--Philip Pullman

• Heffalump said:

@Heffalump  yikes! I've heard it's nerves that can cause that - idk how true that is but hopefully you don't have too many issues and can heal well!! :(
    That bow tie though <3!

Yeah, chickenpox virus lurks in your body for decades, then wakes up one day and decides to attack your nerves.  It's awesome. :\

I had a former coworker who developed shingles in her early 50s.  From what I remember her telling me, the disease can vary substantially from a mild case to a severe case.  Hers was pretty mild and I hope yours is also!

I think it took about 4-5 weeks to run its course, but she only missed a few days of work here and there.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @DrillSergeantCat we had the same stuff when buying a house. It's such a big purchase it hits all the freak out buttons (at least for H). 

@Heffalump, that really sucks. All the comfort foods for you. 

• Heffalump said:

@Heffalump  yikes! I've heard it's nerves that can cause that - idk how true that is but hopefully you don't have too many issues and can heal well!! :(
    That bow tie though <3!

Evil chickens virus
  • @DrillSergeantCat I hope you guys find some stress relief soon!

@Heffalump Get well soon! Hopefully they gave you an antiviral that'll shorten the duration effectively. Also, that bow tie is so cute!!

@MissKittyDanger No, it's a requirement for the marriage visa for the U.K., where I'm gonna move to be with my FI. 

@Joney When I was young, my father took me on a house call to a plutocrat's home. The gentleman had a number of successful businesses and was in the process of conglomeration so needed to create a board. He invited me to peruse the library in his study while my father checked on his wife and he went through resumes. He was discarding some so quickly. I was curious and when I asked, he said he just threw out any with spelling or grammar mistakes. 
    Your friend's story reminded me of that.

Do you get Liberation Day off? Any plans? 
  • @atomicblonde I have an apple tree in my backyard, but it's in such poor shape that the apples never get very big. Fortunately, this year, it didn't bloom much so there shouldn't be a bunch of rotten apples in my yard. Also, I agree with @CharmedPam go to book club and talk about why you hated the book.

@Heffalump one of my best friends gets shingles quite often. She's 41 and has been getting them for at least 2 years. I remind people of this when they argue that chickenpox is "just" a children's disease and refuse the vaccine for it.

Thanks all for your support. The last time I bought a house, it was just me. All the times before that, my ex did the buying because "my credit wasn't good enough and it would hurt our chances of getting a mortgage." BS. This is all tying back into the stuff my ex used to say to me. So every time H voices a concern, I feel like I'm dragging him into something he doesn't want to do and worry that someday he'll resent me for it.
  • I had to do my Skype interview yesterday in my work office because of the ripping apart of the bathroom. My wall is shared with our secretary, who sits right against it. I hear everything in her office and she presumably can hear things in mind. I was aware of this with the interview, but didn't have a lot of choice on where to do it. 

So today when I go in to get my mail I ask how she's doing and she says, "well kind of sad" so I ask her what's wrong and she say's "well I was eavesdropping during your interview yesterday and I'm sad that you might be leaving. I understand why, but still sad. I won't say anything to anyone".  

I just don't know what to say. She could have turned up her music so she didn't listen to my conversation. She could have not mentioned anything to me. I just feel like this is pretty intrusive. Also, my department doesn't know I'm looking to leave, hopefully it stays that way, but c'mon. What's the etiquette on departments with thin walls? 
  • @DrillSergeantCat  it's funny about the chicken pox vaxx because I had no idea there was one until my coworker was saying there was one. Also there's also now a shingles vaccine :)
  • @NiceKindaSpice  ohhh! I didn't know there were requirements. That's crazy!
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    This woman at work is driving me up a wall.  She reminds me so much of the bastard boss I had at the mill.  Lies, asks for A but expects me to know she really wanted B, interrupted constantly on a conference call.  ugh.

The weather is horrid.  We have a chance of a wintry mix Saturday!  I'm going to have to wear winter gear to a soccer game in May! 6let had a field trip to the zoo today so I had to actually by him a rain coat. 

• 6fsn6fsn member
    @Heffalump I had chicken pox at 17 (for prom), bells palsy at 22 (in the middle of senior project) and shingles at 29 (when DH proposed)

• 6fsn said:

@Heffalump I had chicken pox at 17 (for prom), bells palsy at 22 (in the middle of senior project) and shingles at 29 (when DH proposed)

Making sure child birth was easiest one? That just sounds painful and horrible :(
  • 6fsn6fsn member

6fsn said:

Making sure child birth was easiest one? That just sounds painful and horrible :(

Well with my first I had to have an open appendectomy at 23 wks!
  • @levioosa Congrats on the job!!

• 6fsn said:

6fsn said:

Well with my first I had to have an open appendectomy at 23 wks!

New hero :O! What a friggen trooper you are!