Wedding Woes

Terrible Tuesday

2»

Re: Terrible Tuesday

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Last night we went for ice cream to celebrate grades and the soccer offer. Goat cheese and dried cherries. Oh man it was good.

Day 2 of Vbs. I had breakfast with friends and it was awesome and still hot. We're at the playground right now then doing a scooter/rollerblade ride and home for dinner. Then a baseball game. 

Im afraid if I get too much time to myself I'm going to end up 300 lbs. 

• kvruns said:

@DrillSergeantCat I've never heard of someone asking for floors to be refinished - that isn't really a repair IMO. Then again I think buyers ask for everything under the sun these days, hoping they'll get some of it

We asked for legit fixes (the drip in the basement sink and the garage door sensors) and were denied because the seller "didn't understand why he had to pay to sell his home."  He was a peach.  His realtor also said his rider mower was for sale, he told us in person it wasn't because he was taking it with him, then he bought a condo and tried to sell it on Craigslist.

Moral of the story:  People suck, especially when it comes to buying and selling a home.
  • Thank you, everyone. I hope for those of you whose day hasn't been today thus far, things will get better.

• We asked for legit fixes (the drip in the basement sink and the garage door sensors) and were denied because the seller "didn't understand why he had to pay to sell his home."  He was a peach.  His realtor also said his rider mower was for sale, he told us in person it wasn't because he was taking it with him, then he bought a condo and tried to sell it on Craigslist.

Moral of the story:  People suck, especially when it comes to buying and selling a home.

I'm perfectly willing to do the legit fixes. I was expecting to have to replace a couple outlets and fix the shower head that doesn't divert properly. If they'd have asked for the safety features to be put on the garage door opener, I'd have seriously considered that. However, asking for a $2,000 repair when you already are buying the house for $5,000 below asking is nonsense. 

@kvruns that is a fantastic point. I'm going to cancel that order!

@short+sassy I don't feel attacked really, but it pisses me off that just 3 days ago they said the garage door opener was not a concern and now it is. I'm having a friend come look at it to see if it can be rigged up to work again.

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    When we've bought we always ask for things that could affect structure/livability- the cracked brickwork, broken drawer, faucet. When we sold the last house we added a floor stipend to the listing because we knew it was ugly, but still livable. 

• 6fsn said:

When we've bought we always ask for things that could affect structure/livability- the cracked brickwork, broken drawer, faucet. When we sold the last house we added a floor stipend to the listing because we knew it was ugly, but still livable. 

I could understand that if they'd brought it up when they made an offer to purchase. The first time they saw it was the middle of the day and the rugs were in the same place so it's not like the scratches were hidden and this is a surprise. This just seems so petty. 

• 6fsn said:

It's not personal. It's ok they asked and it's ok to say no. 

Agreed.  This is a business deal - of course they're going to try to get the most for their $.  And you should say no to all those things you find unreasonable/cosmetic.  People are crazy.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2017
    Jen4948 said:

@charlotte989875, sorry to hear about your terrible day.

I'm doing ok today, but last Friday my mom told me that her cancer (melanoma) has spread to her bones. 

Since the, I wake up every day wondering if this is the day I'm going to get the call about my mom. Our relationship has been difficult at times, but I'm just not ready.

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom.  My cancer metastasized to my bones maybe about two years ago.  The Ibrance I have been taking daily has kept it from growing fast.  The stuff makes me sick to my stomach, but it is doing its job.  I have had cancer for about ten years.  It is amazing what they can do with new discoveries coming every day.
    Your Mom's cancer is not curable, but it is treatable.  She may have a lot more time than you think.  I'll keep you both in my prayers for more time on this earth.  Tell your Mom you love her while you still can. 

Best wishes.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @DrillSergeantCat - try doing a corporate relocation - we had to do $3K in repairs to get my company to buy our PA house, which doubled into $6K when the water pipe started leaking 3 weeks prior to closing. (They paid us what we paid for the house, plus all closing costs, so we really only lost the $6K, net.) We had the unfortunate luck to list right as the market dropped, and the one offer that we got fell through because we wouldn't budge on price. (Really, we did those people a favor because they couldn't afford the house and never would have gotten their mortgage approved.)

I asked for a ton of stuff (either as a fix or a price concession) when we bought down here. It's a negotiation, so I expected some items to be "no" and other to be "yes" but knew going in what we would settle for, and got it. We knew the company was paying all of our closing costs, so rather than a seller-assisted close, i asked for a bigger price concession on the house, and the big thing for me was the hot water tank. It was end of life, and literally one of the first things we did after moving in. The concession that I got covered almost 2/3 of the cost of a tankless - and since we got 1/3 back on taxes, it ended up being almost free. 

• CMGragain said:

Jen4948 said:

@charlotte989875, sorry to hear about your terrible day.

I'm doing ok today, but last Friday my mom told me that her cancer (melanoma) has spread to her bones. 

Since the, I wake up every day wondering if this is the day I'm going to get the call about my mom. Our relationship has been difficult at times, but I'm just not ready.

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom.  My cancer metastasized to my bones maybe about two years ago.  The Ibrance I have been taking daily has kept it from growing fast.  The stuff makes me sick to my stomach, but it is doing its job.  I have had cancer for about ten years.  It is amazing what they can do with new discoveries coming every day.
    Your Mom's cancer is not curable, but it is treatable.  She may have a lot more time than you think.  I'll keep you both in my prayers for more time on this earth.  Tell your Mom you love her while you still can. 

Best wishes.

Thanks. You too.
  • All the good thoughts to you @Jen4948
  • @*barbie* that sounds like a nightmare! Kudos on the tankless water heater, though! Fortunately, when I bought this house 2 years ago, the kitchen, bathrooms, floors, light fixtures, paint, half the entire back wall, and the floors were brand new. The heat and air were replaced in 2012 and I think the water heater was done then too. The roof was replaced sometime after 2010. So I got almost a brand new house!