Snarky Brides

Am I just free accommodation?

So I have a quite good very old friend who contacted me to say could she come and stay with us; we live in Paris so this happens a lot, on her European travels. She's coming next week.

She has then told me that she won't be coming to our wedding no real explanation why (I know you don't have to get one but would have been nice!). And I was talking to her just today and she's talked about all the things she's going to do in Paris whilst she's here without my FI and me. Normally wouldn't bother me but I'm kinda annoyed. You have the funds to come to Europe but chose to come at another time from the wedding (I know it could be that she couldn't get time off in September and can now) and I'm beginning to think she just wants to use us as a free place to stay!! I'm so annoyed she's one of my oldest friends!

Re: Am I just free accommodation?

• I would be annoyed if I were in your shoes. That's at the very least odd behavior, if not rude.

I don't have any advice, but I can see how that would hurt.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I hate houseguests.  We're in NYC (outerborough, but a half hour train ride into "the city") and I get lots of requests to crash on the couch.  Nope.

Your friend is free to travel at a time most convenient for her (who knows what her work schedule is like? Her personal life/responsibilities at home?).  I'm sorry that you feel hurt though- especially from one of your oldest friends.  You should share with her that you feel used. 

• eileenrob said:

I hate houseguests.  We're in NYC (outerborough, but a half hour train ride into "the city") and I get lots of requests to crash on the couch.  Nope.

Your friend is free to travel at a time most convenient for her (who knows what her work schedule is like? Her personal life/responsibilities at home?).  I'm sorry that you feel hurt though- especially from one of your oldest friends.  You should share with her that you feel used. 

Same! For the first time in a while friends coming to NYC didn't ask to crash with me when they came to visit/for a convention. Though that might be because the con was in Bklyn and I live in Queens (if you couldn't guess from my username :P)

I have the smallest of apartments, there's no room for you!
  • ei34ei34 member

eileenrob said:

Same! For the first time in a while friends coming to NYC didn't ask to crash with me when they came to visit/for a convention. Though that might be because the con was in Bklyn and I live in Queens (if you couldn't guess from my username :P)

I have the smallest of apartments, there's no room for you!

Yes I know you're in Queens :) I am too. To be fair, I got a lot more requests when I was single (and then married) living in Forest Hills.  Now we're in northeast Queens and although our home is a nice size, the three toddlers deter most people.  
    Ugh yeah Bklyn-Qns travel sucks!
  • It seems she does just want to stay with you for this vacation.

I would be a little bummed we couldn't spend more time together, but not offended or like she was "using me for my house" or something. So this is more of a sightseeing trip vs. a friend visit. Cool. It sounds like y'all are spending some time together, right?

I mean the alternative is that your good friend books a trip to Paris and just books a hotel and tells you about her plans that don't include you. Which is more hurtful?
    *********************************************************************************

• I know that she's probably not doing any of it to hurt me. 
    But she seems to have avoided the question of the wedding the few times I've brought it up with her. 
    Also, she lived in Europe for two years (the Hauge) and has travelled extensively here. Semester at University in Germany, and a few trips back. Plus the trips she's on now also includes a bunch of other places so it's not sight-seeing at all. She catching up with friends the whole time she's here. 
    I could be just going over the top a bit because it's 97 degrees here at 23h so the heat might also be getting to me.

• I know that she's probably not doing any of it to hurt me. 
    But she seems to have avoided the question of the wedding the few times I've brought it up with her. 
    Also, she lived in Europe for two years (the Hauge) and has travelled extensively here. Semester at University in Germany, and a few trips back. Plus the trips she's on now also includes a bunch of other places so it's not sight-seeing at all. She catching up with friends the whole time she's here. 
    I could be just going over the top a bit because it's 97 degrees here at 23h so the heat might also be getting to me.

And it sounds like you are one of them. She may have other things planned, yes. It doesn't sound (to me anyway) like she's treating you as an airbnb...she just wants to see other people too. 

It sounds like there are lots of other people she can stay with, so she's probably wanting to stay with you to spend additional time with you. At least that's how I'd look at it. 

Honestly, it seems like you're hurt she's not coming to the wedding and you wish her trip was just to have friend time with you. It's ok to feel that, but IMO it's a little over the top to say "well if you aren't hanging out with me 100% of the time you're here, you can't stay with me" KWIM? If you do that, it sounds like she'll be like "uhhh alright then....I'll just stay with someone else I'm visiting here." 
    *********************************************************************************

• I lived in lower Manhattan for years and I would get super annoyed with people just looking for a free place to stay in the city. I loved having friends visit and I was happy to let them stay but it can feel like people are using you for your location. I stopped saying yes to people I wasn't really close to (also I hate having people in my tiny space that are just acquaintances). But if a friend didn't at least want to have a dinner with me I'd be hurt. But I also couldn't drop everything any time someone came to town I sill had work and obligations so I didn't want to spend 100% of the time with out of towners. 
  • So she is going to hang out with us a bit. I think its more that she's coming two months out from the wedding. I'm kinda annoyed that she didn't prioritise the wedding of one of her oldest friends - I think I've known her for like 30 years. I don't know why she's coming now and not to the wedding because she's super quiet whenever I sort of talk about it.

I would have at least liked her to say like KahluaKoala said hey sorry I can't make it because XYZ but I'm coming this time can I stay. I think mostly because she's coming so close to the wedding.

Also, I know that this is a bit irrational so I'm telling you guys and not her.

• So she is going to hang out with us a bit. I think its more that she's coming two months out from the wedding. I'm kinda annoyed that she didn't prioritise the wedding of one of her oldest friends - I think I've known her for like 30 years. I don't know why she's coming now and not to the wedding because she's super quiet whenever I sort of talk about it.

I would have at least liked her to say like KahluaKoala said hey sorry I can't make it because XYZ but I'm coming this time can I stay. I think mostly because she's coming so close to the wedding.

Also, I know that this is a bit irrational so I'm telling you guys and not her.

I mean, weddings are important life events for your friends. Good to be there if at all possible. But they also take up a lot of time. I'm sure she'll get to see far more of you on this trip than at your wedding, and quite possibly much more of any friends who may not be invited to your wedding.

If I were going to spend the time and money to travel to Paris and had a lot of friends in Paris, I would want to come when I could actually see them.

• I mean, weddings are important life events for your friends. Good to be there if at all possible. But they also take up a lot of time. I'm sure she'll get to see far more of you on this trip than at your wedding, and quite possibly much more of any friends who may not be invited to your wedding.

If I were going to spend the time and money to travel to Paris and had a lot of friends in Paris, I would want to come when I could actually see them.

I fully agree with this. 

However, one thing I didn't quite get from the post- did she ASK if she could stay with you? Or did she TELL you she was coming and expected to stay? That difference is a huge deal to me personally. 
    One of my friends is historically maybe a little too generous, and it got her to the point where people just assume they can crash with her  at any given time. Fine for our early twenties, not fine now! One of our mutual friends expects to crash (with her own husband) for an entire weekend. They're 30-somethings with professional jobs and frankly there's no excuse for them not getting a hotel. Don't cheap out and take advantage of your friend's hospitality. So this friend finally put her foot down and said she and her own husband would barely be around that weekend but would be more than happy to meet them for dinner one night...hint hint

• So Update!!

So the last time my friend visited a few years ago she happened to meet my FI's cousin and they go along well.

Well the weekend just past we were at a family event where we saw him and I mentioned that she was coming and that perhaps we could all do something. To my great surprise he said 'yeah I know I'm seeing her on Sunday night.'

Am I crazy that, that seem supper shady? That she would be meeting up with the cousin of my FI and not have mentioned it at all?? To be faire maybe it got organised whilst she's been travelling and she'll mention it to me after she arrives but in that case its more weird that she hasn't been in contact with me to organise anything.

Just seems a bit weird. 

Should I tell her that he (the cousin) has been leaving broken heart all over paris?
  • No way would I tell her. She is seeing a dude one night during a vacation. It's not like she is moving to be with him. Let her have her fling. :)
  • I honestly don't care if she see's other people. And it's not just some guy - it's my FI cousin with whom he and I are really close.

If I was going to visit her and see her cousin I would tell her - 'hey I'm going to see your cousin on X day' 

It's strange to have a fling with a guy technically in my family (tobe) and not say anything. If she wants to hook up with anyone I'm all about it, she can do as she pleases but it's just a bit odd in this instance to sort of do it behind my/our back.

It's just that I have no idea what's she's planning to do whilst she's here she's arriving on Wednesday and I haven't heard from her in almost a month but she's clearly worked out her hooking up whilst she's here.

Ok, so I'm clearly bringing out (her's and my) past friendship into this trip. I haven't and don't intend to say anything about any of it to her. This was just for me to rant but all its done is make me feel shitty so never mind.

• So Update!!

So the last time my friend visited a few years ago she happened to meet my FI's cousin and they go along well.

Well the weekend just past we were at a family event where we saw him and I mentioned that she was coming and that perhaps we could all do something. To my great surprise he said 'yeah I know I'm seeing her on Sunday night.'

Am I crazy that, that seem supper shady? That she would be meeting up with the cousin of my FI and not have mentioned it at all?? To be faire maybe it got organised whilst she's been travelling and she'll mention it to me after she arrives but in that case its more weird that she hasn't been in contact with me to organise anything.

Just seems a bit weird. 

Should I tell her that he (the cousin) has been leaving broken heart all over paris?

How is this shady? Like, at all? She's staying with you, spending time with you, and also seeing other people including, apparently, a guy she's into. Good for her. And good for you. I hate having houseguests who expect me to hang with them all the time and entertain them. I gotta job?
  • ei34ei34 member
    The only thing worse than a houseguest is a houseguest that has no plans made and expects to be with me at all times/wants me to entertain them.  What's shady about having plans??  And hanging out with the cousin sounds like a hookup- I wouldn't go out of my way to share that until maybe right before I went to meet him?  
  • OH MY GOD. You are making a mountain out of a molehill. You are borrowing trouble. You are creating a storm and preparing to get upset when it rains.

Here's the attitude you adopt for this visit: "I am so excited for one of my closest, oldest friends to come visit me. I understand she's only here for a short time and wants to see lots of people, so I'll talk to her about choosing a couple of 'friend dates' to earmark time together. If I think she's in danger of being hurt, I will give her a heads up. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to having fun together."

BOOM. DONE. Now seriously, staaaaahhhhpppp creating a drama tornado. You're letting yourself get sucked in and consumed by it. 
    Image result for let it go gif

• How do we get from she's made plans with him for dinner/an evening to their obviously hooking up and she's got s thing for him? Seems like a leap to me. Even if she does want a one-nighter she's and adult who can make her own choices. 

I agre with @LondonLisa that it sounds like you're just looking for ways to be annoyed with her. She's traveling, she'll probably fill you in on the details, and if she's anything like me and my friends she probably doesn't want to overstay her welcome or be too much of a burden on you and is trying to plan things outside of the apartment so she's not bothering you/monopolizing your time. You also said she used to live in Europe or travel there quite a bit? She probably can't make this trip often and wants to see as many people as she can. 

If you want a specific dinner/time/event with her why are you waiting for her to plan it? Friendships are two-way streets and if you want something to happen, arrange it with her. 
  • You don't own your FI's cousin. Obviously they have been communicating since the last time they met and are now friends independently - she didn't need to clear it with you, mention it to you, or have you set up a meeting just because you happen to be close to this person and have introduced them. It's not in any way shady.

If you are concerned about your friend, you are welcome to mention how cousin operates, but I really don't think it's an issue. She knows she's only there for a limited time. Only if she's at your apartment talking about the LDR she sees would it become something where you may want to lower her expectations. Beyond that, I think she's a grownup and fine.
  • Yikes. At first I was on your side like, yeah that's a shitty thing to do. I have a friend who thinks she can stay with us any time, and even asked about bringing a date to our house when I also had a friend in town (we said no). 

But honestly, it does seem like you're kind of just looking for ways to be salty with your friend. Can't you ask her what her plans are or tell her you hope to spend some time together while she's in town? I do understand being a little bummed she's coming now and not for your wedding, but an invitation is not a summons, and people are free to travel when & where works best for them. My uncle didn't come to our wedding because his girlfriend wanted to go "somewhere warmer" and apparently the southeast US isn't on the way to anywhere warm *sarcasm.* They took a vacation a few hours away from us like the week after the wedding. I said nothing.

Talk to your friend! But in the meantime, cut her a little slack if you want to maintain that relationship. 
  • Australian_girl_in_Paris said:

I honestly don't care if she see's other people. And it's not just some guy - it's my FI cousin with whom he and I are really close.

If I was going to visit her and see her cousin I would tell her - 'hey I'm going to see your cousin on X day' 

It's strange to have a fling with a guy technically in my family (tobe) and not say anything. If she wants to hook up with anyone I'm all about it, she can do as she pleases but it's just a bit odd in this instance to sort of do it behind my/our back.

It's just that I have no idea what's she's planning to do whilst she's here she's arriving on Wednesday and I haven't heard from her in almost a month but she's clearly worked out her hooking up whilst she's here.

Ok, so I'm clearly bringing out (her's and my) past friendship into this trip. I haven't and don't intend to say anything about any of it to her. This was just for me to rant but all its done is make me feel shitty so never mind.

I'm confused about the bolded. Yes he's your FI's cousin, but honestly. You're concerned she's potentially going to hook up with him behind your back? Does she need to get express written permission from you first? She wants to hook up with him - good for her! Let her get hers - who wouldn't want a hot European fling? Who she sleeps with should really have no bearing on you. 

Also - you say you haven't heard from her. Have you reached out to her yourself? Have you planned anything? This would be the perfect opportunity to send her an email and say "I'm so excited you'll be here tomorrow! Not sure what you have planned while you're here, but I would love to hang out and catch up while you're here! Let's grab dinner tomorrow night and maybe Thursday we can do XYZ Fun Thing!"
  • If you want to keep this friendship, talk about your feelings around the trip with her, in a non-accusatory way. Say, "I feel. . ." rather than "You're using me for free accommodations." 

As for FI's cousin, MYOB.

• Everyone's got a BEC, that's what this girl seems to be for OP.

This is the greatest, thank you for introducing this into my life. Currently my job is my BEC. 

• Everyone's got a BEC, that's what this girl seems to be for OP.

I'm freaking dying. I need this in my life.