Just Engaged and Proposals

1.4 ct to 3 ct Ring

LPinVegasLPinVegas member
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
Mods, if posted in wrong area please move, this was the only section where I saw reasonable traction on rings:

Wife and I have been married 4 years, but have known each other and been engaged much longer. I'm looking to upgrade her original engagement ring from a 1.4 diamond to a 3 ct diamond. However, my concern when looking at these rings is it's a pretty big jump in size and I'm afraid she won't like it.

She's conservative, not flashy, classy in dress, from very humble beginnings. Size 4.5-5 ring finger, long fingers and the setting is basically solitaire engagement ring with a band and both bands have diamonds down each side, each band is thin.  We'll be keeping her original ring so I suppose if she's going someplace that she may feel uncomfortable wearing it she could always wear the original.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I attached a picture similar to the upgrade including the 3 ct stone.

Re: 1.4 ct to 3 ct Ring

• @InLoveInQueens - Yea, thought about that, however I really want it to be a surprise, she catches on to stuff like that very quickly, however, maybe when we're out and I see someone with a large ring I could comment on it and see what she says . . .
  • This seems like a lot of money to spend on something your wife didn't really ask for IMO.

This isn't really a ring board - you might want to check out pricescope or even wedding bee for lots more ring related chat.
  • It's a very big jump in size and 1.4 is a good size already. If you're not sure she'd like the bigger size (I wouldn't), forgo it and maybe get her a new band or earrings. A e-ring can be very personal and she may not be willing to trade it out.

• It's a very big jump in size and 1.4 is a good size already. If you're not sure she'd like the bigger size (I wouldn't), forgo it and maybe get her a new band or earrings. A e-ring can be very personal and she may not be willing to trade it out.

Ditto. Personally, I dislike large engagement rings. I specifically wanted something small and flat. I would not be happy if H just decided to get me a larger ring. I would wear it rarely if at all. I don't understand why you would want to get her a large ring if you know she probably won't like it. Why not spend the money on something you know she'd like? A different kind of jewelry, perhaps? Put it toward a nice vacation? 

Ditto. Personally, I dislike large engagement rings. I specifically wanted something small and flat. I would not be happy if H just decided to get me a larger ring. I would wear it rarely if at all. I don't understand why you would want to get her a large ring if you know she probably won't like it. Why not spend the money on something you know she'd like? A different kind of jewelry, perhaps? Put it toward a nice vacation? 

Same. I didn't necessary *love* the ring FI picked out, but he did it on his own and it is mine. If he tried to replace it now I would be pretty heartbroken because this is my engagement ring and always will be. Maybe consider buying her a nice right hand ring or another gift that you know she wants? If she hasn't asked for it, she may really dislike the new ring and not want to hurt your feelings about such a gift. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2017
    I have been wearing my engagement and wedding ring for 41 years.  I would not be happy if DH "surprised" me with a  larger diamond, even though we could easily afford it now.  He did buy me a diamond wrap ring for our 25th anniversary that enhances the basic solitaire.  Maybe you could look at something like it?

https://www.twobirch.com/0-5-carat-anniversary-style-ring-wrap-enhancer-prd-tb-wrap-0024-rg-h/?gclid=CjwKEAjw4vzKBRCt9Zmg8f2blgESJADN5fDglrfnr2rjheq8TZsQlz_oJQGEw_PBN--W2hU0xgDRsBoC3FLw_wcB

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • There are 1000 other things I would want rather than an expensive new ring. A trip, having the house professionally cleaned, a new saddle, new patio furniture, spa day, sailing lessons, yoga retreat, etc. What are your wife's hobbies? I bet she would enjoy something associated with that rather than a ring upgrade. 
  • So I would change my ring eventually. H and I have actually talked about that though. My BIL just upgraded my SIL's setting and band (kept original diamond) for something bigger and she loves it. There's nothing wrong with wanting to change your ring just like there's nothing wrong with never changing it. But it should be want she wants not what you want to do for it. If you're worried that she won't like it I'd opt for a different gift or talking to her about it before you do it. 
  • I would describe myself as conservative, not flashy, and dresses simply. I barely wear a stitch of make up, love wearing flip flops all of the time, and usually keep my hair pulled up in a pony tail. I wear a size 4 ring. My e-ring diamond is larger in size and it doesn't really seem to match my personality per se, but I LOVE it! However, it's all very much a personal preference. So, I wouldn't recommend just doing it if you aren't sure she'd like it. I recommend just talking to her about it. Yes, it ruins the surprise, but there are just some things that require a little more discussion IMHO.

• Thanks to all for the feedback, sound advice all the way around. Going to try and get her near a jewelers and do some window shopping and see if she'll give me some feedback without giving it away.

Thanks to everyone, and thanks for putting-up with a post that isn't really spot on for this section.

My wife and I reside in Vegas so any couples who may need some feet on the street regarding venues etc. out here don't hesitate to send us a PM.
  • SP29SP29 member
    I would try and feel her out before doing this.

My personal response is- why?

Some women would love an upgraded e-ring, or a new ring for a special anniversary. Other women feel very sentimental to their e-ring and wouldn't want anything instead, even if it is something smaller/simpler than they could afford now.

1.4ct is already a large stone. 3ct is HUGE, IMO. Personally, I wouldn't get the upgrade unless you know (has she hinted at all? commented on other peoples' rings or pictures?) she would be interested in it.

Myself, I wouldn't want an upgraded e-ring. However, I would love a second band with a bit of bling, or a right hand ring. Or, other piece of jewelry.

Or, spend that money on a nice vacation for the two of you.
  • I would be very upset by this. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    I love my ring and wouldn't want it changed/upgraded, although I don't really get sentimental over most physical things so I'm not against upgrading in general.  Is this something your wife would want?  Better to ask her instead of surprising her- I imagine the surprise was when you proposed with the original ring?
  • Personally, I don't think you should change it without asking her. Maybe instead of an upgrade, you could go for a redesign or custom jewelry piece? I saw some nice personalized jewelry ideas on this site. It's obvious you want to make her happy - just ask her what she prefers :blush:
  • @LPinVegas How sweet of you to want to do this for your wife :) I'm sure she would love the sentiment of it, regardless of how she feels about the ring.

Personally, I'm in love with my engagement ring. Not because of the size, style, etc. but because every time I look at it I think about the proposal and it makes me smile. I'm super attached to it for this reason, and I'd be reluctant to trade it out for a new one. Have you thought of an anniversary band?
  • Why don't you ask her and maybe go to the store and pick it out together. Than both of you can be happy. I think it would be a fun experience.