Wedding Woes

What A Wednesday!

Re: What A Wednesday!

• apollymi said:
    @charlotte989875 Oooh maybe I'll give them a try!
    When I signed up this spring there was a 30 day free trial and I think it was $99/year (which was WAY less than what I was paying for the gym). 
  • Tying to catch up on 2 weeks worth of WW and work. My mom, sis and her kids were here visiting the week before last, and I was at church camp all last week. Monday Dr appt out of town and yesterday dentist. I feel like I'm running around like a crazy person.

The renter from hell stories make me glad we sold instead of renting my grandmothers house after she died.
  • I know, I miss those broads!

Today I rushed into the office for a Skype call (why can't we just talk on the phone) that was postponed.

The 3 Day is only 10 days away, so when I got to my cube I had travel sized toilet paper, carabeners, ice packs and a cool towel also sitting there.  Later someone dropped off two sleeping pads and a bag.  If our team wasn't company sponsored people would think I'm about to go off the grid!

@sparklepants41 don't sell yourself short, that is a Bachelor of Science in Journalism;).

@charlotte989875 I used to love Yoga.  And then I got cats.
    Ha yes! I'm a scientist (of sorts) lol!!!
  • I know, I miss those broads!

Today I rushed into the office for a Skype call (why can't we just talk on the phone) that was postponed.

The 3 Day is only 10 days away, so when I got to my cube I had travel sized toilet paper, carabeners, ice packs and a cool towel also sitting there.  Later someone dropped off two sleeping pads and a bag.  If our team wasn't company sponsored people would think I'm about to go off the grid!

@sparklepants41 don't sell yourself short, that is a Bachelor of Science in Journalism;).

@charlotte989875 I used to love Yoga.  And then I got cats.
    Every cat owner understands this lmfao

Fun story: I tried doing yoga at home for awhile. I still sometimes do it, but I do it when cats aren't around.
    One day I had Angel doing figure-8's around my arms/legs while in downward dog, Penny playing with my hair and occasionally nipping at it. Meanwhile M is on the couch laughing and being useless lmao
  • H got a job offer!!! The pay is (slightly) less than he wanted by the benefits are amazing; unlimited paid time off, flexible hours, catered lunches, paternity leave, candy dispensers, casual dress, moving reimbursement. It's a good day. 
    reaction excited awesome yay screaming GIF

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    H got a job offer!!! The pay is (slightly) less than he wanted by the benefits are amazing; unlimited paid time off, flexible hours, catered lunches, paternity leave, candy dispensers, casual dress, moving reimbursement. It's a good day. 
    Congrats! you had me at candy dispensers.  Or wait maybe that would be a bad thing
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2017
    H got a job offer!!! The pay is (slightly) less than he wanted by the benefits are amazing; unlimited paid time off, flexible hours, catered lunches, paternity leave, candy dispensers, casual dress, moving reimbursement. It's a good day. 
    Congrats.  I'd like January 1-2018 to Dec 30th 2018 off please.  I'll work the 31st....if like, it's open?
    edit: free lunches may make up for the lower pay.....

Sounds like a great place to work for!

• H got a job offer!!! The pay is (slightly) less than he wanted by the benefits are amazing; unlimited paid time off, flexible hours, catered lunches, paternity leave, candy dispensers, casual dress, moving reimbursement. It's a good day. 

Are you in GA? This sounds like DD's benefits at a job she started recently. Her's also has a company store they can get candy/drinks food from for up to $250 a month! I wish I had their benefits.
    Are you in GA? This sounds like DD's benefits at a job she started recently. Her's also has a company store they can get candy/drinks food from for up to $250 a month! I wish I had their benefits.
    That's awesome. We're in Buffalo, NY now. I wish my job had these benefits, too. But at least he can bring home candy for me. Oh and cereal dispensers, fresh coffees/teas/pops, and fresh fruit. All for the taking. 

Yes!!!!  I'm so glad everything has worked out so great for both of you on the job front.  Plus, you all got to move back to Buffalo.  Between your H and @pegasuskat's DD, I feel like where I'm working now is Draconian, lol. 

Tying to catch up on 2 weeks worth of WW and work. My mom, sis and her kids were here visiting the week before last, and I was at church camp all last week. Monday Dr appt out of town and yesterday dentist. I feel like I'm running around like a crazy person.

The renter from hell stories make me glad we sold instead of renting my grandmothers house after she died.

LMAO, I can understand that sentiment.  But I actually love owning rental property.  I'll have the ability to retire before I'm 50, if I wish.

And most tenants are awesome.  I just don't bore you all with details of "My 3 out of 4 tenants with rent due on the first paid it on time!  Oh, that 4th one.  They paid two days late on the 3rd, lol."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi Strangers!

@sparklepants41  sending going home vibes to you!

@charlotte989875 - i hate yoga.  Not my thing.  I do like pilates on the reformer though.  I have one at home.    It's more my thing.

@pegasuskat - yay for DH's new job.  

I do  wonder though, is unlimited paid time off one of those things that sounds good on paper, but you do not really get to use vacation time like you think?    Candy dispensers?    I would gain my 30 pounds back.  Ha

I've been really busy.    Back is about 90% back to normal.  Hikes and walking are find.  Even most lifting.   Sitting long periods still hurts.      

I just did a quick 4 mile hike.  Tomorrow I was to do an awesome hike, but they pulled me from that hike to do the easier hike.   Apparently the one of the other guides is not happy I'm doing the harder hikes.   Pretty annoyed actually.  As she tells me every time I see her.

I'm not happy because the hike I'm now guiding I've done a bunch of times.  It's fairly close and it's my "workout hike" if I don't have time for a long hike.   The other one I've never done.  Plus we are leaving late and the hike is pretty exposed.   So it will be pretty hot.    Oh well, still getting paid to hike, just not as long as I would doing the other hike.  

I'm working a lot of hours the next few days, including 16 hours on Friday and then coming back in at 6:30 am the next day.    :open_mouth:    

Hopefully I will have off on Sunday (which would be the first in 13 days).   I've requested the day off and he said he will do what he can, but will not find out for sure until today or tomorrow.   If I do have off, 4 girlfriends and I are going to do a 14er.  Yay.  It will be a birthday hike of sorts, as my birthday is on Monday.

Hope all is well, trying to catch up on things before I go in later tonight.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    That's awesome. We're in Buffalo, NY now. I wish my job had these benefits, too. But at least he can bring home candy for me. Oh and cereal dispensers, fresh coffees/teas/pops, and fresh fruit. All for the taking. 
    we have a kitchen stocked with breakfast items, snacks, some lunch stuff and there is often leftovers from lunch meetings so you can eat for a free a lot. The downside is having free food available 24/7. I seriously gained 10 lbs working here bc I'm someone who can't resist if it is in front of me (or easily accessible).
    I've heard a lot of big tech companies have this so that way it's one less thing for employees to worry about.
  • kvrunskvruns member
    @lyndausvi unlimited vacation is an interesting concept in part because of what you mentioned. It depends on the culture as to whether or not it works. In some places people won't take any days off because they feel like it would be looked down upon, or they might take a little but would take far less than if they were given X amount of days. Employees end up being afraid of taking off too much time but having a use it or lose it # of days make it feel more ok taking time off. 

We have some clients who do it and I've helped draft a couple of policies. We keep tossing around the idea of doing it here but they won't bite the bullet. 
  • apollymi said:
    @sparklepants41 Good luck, I hope they let you go home! Obviously L&D will go much smoother for you if you're well rested, and it sounds like that's not happening for you at the hospital (I also can't sleep in hospitals :s )

@charlotte989875 How do you like the Beachbody videos? I've been looking for a good at home yoga video.

SSDD for me. My life is consumed by packing. My poor pup doesn't know what's going on haha. She just stares at me while I fill boxes. We're gonna have a BBQ up on our rooftop this Saturday (then we're loading the Uhaul Sunday, and on the road Monday morning!) so we'll get to see all of our in town friends one last time.

I've also been studying for my drivers test (embarrassing, I know). I've never needed it living in downtown Toronto, everywhere I need to go I can walk or subway. But since we're moving to the boonies, I figure I better get on it.
    I do like them, I have the whole Beachbody on Demand so I have access to all the programs and I like that I can rotate programs when I want. There are a couple Yoga and PiYo ones but I'm liking the Three Week Yoga Retreat one. 
    I love Beachbody OD!!!  I use it almost every day.  I've taken to Cize, even though I have no rhythm.   There's stuff I've liked more than others.  I wasn't into the Country or Core De Force.  I do like most of the yoga I've tried, PiYO, TurboFire, and Hard Corps. 
  • kvruns said:
    @lyndausvi unlimited vacation is an interesting concept in part because of what you mentioned. It depends on the culture as to whether or not it works. In some places people won't take any days off because they feel like it would be looked down upon, or they might take a little but would take far less than if they were given X amount of days. Employees end up being afraid of taking off too much time but having a use it or lose it # of days make it feel more ok taking time off. 

We have some clients who do it and I've helped draft a couple of policies. We keep tossing around the idea of doing it here but they won't bite the bullet. 

That's a good point!  I could totally see myself as one of those "I don't want to take too much time off, it will make me look bad."  I already do that with my sick time where I currently work.  And lose my sick days at the end of the year. 

However, I live in a state that makes "use it or lose it" vacation (not sick) policies illegal.  I have a set amount of vacation I accrue with each pay period.  If at any point in time I am laid off, fired, or quit, whatever vacation time I've accrued to that point has to be paid out to me.  It also rolls over from year to year, though my company caps it at 160 hours they roll over and will then pay out the rest, before the next annual period starts.

When I was laid off at my last company, I had over a month of vacation time that got paid out to me.  Handy, especially when I just lost my job!

But if a company never gave a specific amount of vacation time.  And it was just "take what you need, when you need it", then they'd never be in a position where they had to pay someone out. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There was one engineering firm I worked for who had free soft drinks and also free breakfasts on Tuesdays.  Plus they threw "lunch and learns" all the time.  The leftovers often landed in the breakroom shortly after lunch.  We also had a lot of vendors that spoiled us with food.  There was one vendor who brought doughnuts/muffins/bagels/pastries for breakfast every Friday.

Then the bottom dropped out of the oil and gas industry in 2009ish.  First, the Tuesday free breakfast stopped.  Then the soft drinks stopped.  Then, we all walked into our monthly corporate meeting around that time...and there were a 100+ Honeybaked Ham boxed lunches.  As opposed to the usual caterer with their staff, hot food buffet, and white linens.

The whole gist of that meeting was the company was in great shape.  Yes, times were hard, but they'd been through these downturns before.  It was just going to be some temporary belt tightening, but everyone's job was safe.  "We're a family.  They invest in their employees."  Anyone want to guess what happened next, lol?

And the layoffs started less than one month later, smh.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our company has a lunch or 2 a week so that's a huge bonus.  We also have a pea pod delivery.

We just got bought out this year so I dont know about any roll over vacation time and pay outs - but I unless you're new here, I'm sure ya'll know I use every last day of my vacation time for. um. vacations. 

• kvruns said:

That's a good point!  I could totally see myself as one of those "I don't want to take too much time off, it will make me look bad."  I already do that with my sick time where I currently work.  And lose my sick days at the end of the year. 

However, I live in a state that makes "use it or lose it" vacation (not sick) policies illegal.  I have a set amount of vacation I accrue with each pay period.  If at any point in time I am laid off, fired, or quit, whatever vacation time I've accrued to that point has to be paid out to me.  It also rolls over from year to year, though my company caps it at 160 hours they roll over and will then pay out the rest, before the next annual period starts.

When I was laid off at my last company, I had over a month of vacation time that got paid out to me.  Handy, especially when I just lost my job!

But if a company never gave a specific amount of vacation time.  And it was just "take what you need, when you need it", then they'd never be in a position where they had to pay someone out. 

That's a very good point.  Before we were bought out we had unlimited sick days but I was told "they do keep track of it" when I was first hired.  They may have kept track, but nothing was ever said if you were using to much.  Our new policy is just a PTO bank (which I'm OK with).  I used MAYBE 2 sick days a year.  There was was person who abused it in our office and I'm sure many at corporate.  But she was literally useless anyway so there was no reason for her to be around. 

• I've worked for resorts/hotels, clubs, restaurants.   Free meals (lunch or dinner) are a standard benefit.   Some times you only have 15 minutes to eat.  It's easy to run down to the employee dining room to grab a quick bite if you work at a hotel/club.  

Mom and pop restaurants often have a family meal before service.  The place I work in the winter gives us up to $26 per day to use towards lunch. If you don't use it all you do not get the balance.  It doesn't rollover to the next day either.  Each day is a new day.

Most days I only used about $20, sometimes I would grab a candy or cookie for later.    If you go over $26 (not hard to do because of the prices) you get a 50% discount on what you go over.   In the beginning of the season everyone is calculating what is on their tray before they go to the cashier.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    kvruns said:

That's a very good point.  Before we were bought out we had unlimited sick days but I was told "they do keep track of it" when I was first hired.  They may have kept track, but nothing was ever said if you were using to much.  Our new policy is just a PTO bank (which I'm OK with).  I used MAYBE 2 sick days a year.  There was was person who abused it in our office and I'm sure many at corporate.  But she was literally useless anyway so there was no reason for her to be around. 
    The way around it is the policy is written to say that you don't accrue days, that way you don't have to pay it out. Or for some states that require a certain # of paid leave (like California) you can word it to comply with that rule. So it says something like "we do not limit the amount of PTO employees take" and "PTO does not accrue like a traditional PTO bank and thus will not be paid out upon termination". You also have to add in language to work with FMLA and Short term disability policies if you don't want someone having a fully-paid medical break (or at least if you want your STD policy to be able to kick in)
  • Our company has a lunch or 2 a week so that's a huge bonus.  We also have a pea pod delivery.

We just got bought out this year so I dont know about any roll over vacation time and pay outs - but I unless you're new here, I'm sure ya'll know I use every last day of my vacation time for. um. vacations. 

I used to track vacation time of all the employees on our project.  Which was extra fun because the company (out of MD) had a "lose it or use it" vacation policy.  And we had project employees in about 10 different states.  Some, like mine, where those policies were illegal by state law.  So the company had to make exceptions for those people.  So I had to run two spreadsheets, lol.  One spreadsheet with all employees.  And the other spreadsheet with only the employees in "use it or lose it" states.

Once I started seeing patterns, it was actually an interesting study on people's behavior.  There were two kinds of employees.  The ones who used their vacation time almost as fast as they got it.  And then there were the "vacation hoarders".  Who might take a day here or there, but really never used vacation time unless they were going on an actual big vacation out of town.

It was shocking, but there were very few employees who were in the middle of those extremes.  And I tracked about 100 people, so it was a decent sample size.

I'm a vacation hoarder.  I generally don't like taking vacation time unless I am GOING somewhere.  For the last three years, I've "forced" myself to go places, so some of my vacation time didn't get paid out to me at the end of September.  Three years ago, I went to NYC for 6 days.  And still had 8 hours paid out to me before it rolled over.  Last year, I went to Boston for a week.  I barely made it under the "160 hours" mark by September.  This year, I went to Tahoe for a few days and I'm going to Chicago for a week in August.  I'm still going to fall at about 147 hours to roll over by the end of Sept., lol.  Not bad!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wish we had unlimited vacation time, but they are very liberal with paid sick time (take it if you need it), and our department is pretty flexible with WFH and flex time - as long as you do your work well, and meet your deliverables/schedule, they're happy. Most of our team works 9/80, and I will take early calls from home rather than trying to get to the office for 7am. I also WFH on migraine days and put in as much effort as I can. Days like yesterday, when I had calls from 7am-330pm, with no break, I just WFH. 

Some people can be bitchy about it because the WFH policy generally does not extend to our contractors (they do get 9/80 and flex time) - but it had resulted in some complaints because "it's not fair."

I used to track vacation time of all the employees on our project.  Which was extra fun because the company (out of MD) had a "lose it or use it" vacation policy.  And we had project employees in about 10 different states.  Some, like mine, where those policies were illegal by state law.  So the company had to make exceptions for those people.  So I had to run two spreadsheets, lol.  One spreadsheet with all employees.  And the other spreadsheet with only the employees in "use it or lose it" states.

Once I started seeing patterns, it was actually an interesting study on people's behavior.  There were two kinds of employees.  The ones who used their vacation time almost as fast as they got it.  And then there were the "vacation hoarders".  Who might take a day here or there, but really never used vacation time unless they were going on an actual big vacation out of town.

It was shocking, but there were very few employees who were in the middle of those extremes.  And I tracked about 100 people, so it was a decent sample size.

I'm a vacation hoarder.  I generally don't like taking vacation time unless I am GOING somewhere.  For the last three years, I've "forced" myself to go places, so some of my vacation time didn't get paid out to me at the end of September.  Three years ago, I went to NYC for 6 days.  And still had 8 hours paid out to me before it rolled over.  Last year, I went to Boston for a week.  I barely made it under the "160 hours" mark by September.  This year, I went to Tahoe for a few days and I'm going to Chicago for a week in August.  I'm still going to fall at about 147 hours to roll over by the end of Sept., lol.  Not bad!

Interesting.

It's been a long time since I've had PTO.  When I did I used it and unpaid time off.  But my jobs have always allowed that.  I take time off when it was naturally slow and the company was looking to cut hours.  I helped them out by taking unpaid time off.  (I save a portion of my paycheck for these times.

DH does get PTO, at lot actually.   Just no real time to use it.  Summer and holidays are his busiest times so he can't take off.   When the club is closed he takes 10 days or so, but it leaves him 3-4 weeks.  

Even then he has so much unofficial comp time they don't always make him take PTO.    For example, from May to August he will only take 1-2 days off total.   No standard 2 days off a week (i.e weekends for most people), nope, he works 7 days a week for months in a row.   When the club slows down in the fall he can take his standard 2 + another day and they don't make him use PTO.

• lyndausvi said:
    Interesting.

It's been a long time since I've had PTO.  When I did I used it and unpaid time off.  But my jobs have always allowed that.  I take time off when it was naturally slow and the company was looking to cut hours.  I helped them out by taking unpaid time off.  (I save a portion of my paycheck for these times.

DH does get PTO, at lot actually.   Just no real time to use it.  Summer and holidays are his busiest times so he can't take off.   When the club is closed he takes 10 days or so, but it leaves him 3-4 weeks.  

Even then he has so much unofficial comp time they don't always make him take PTO.    For example, from May to August he will only take 1-2 days off total.   No standard 2 days off a week (i.e weekends for most people), nope, he works 7 days a week for months in a row.   When the club slows down in the fall he can take his standard 2 + another day and they don't make him use PTO.

I had a HS friend who was an accountant with one of the Big 6 firms.  They are insanely busy in the Fall.  12+ hour days, often including Sat.  Fairly busy in Spring.  But summer is dead slow. 

Her company tracks the hours each salaried employee works over 40 during the busy season.  And "comps" them those hours to be taken at another time of the year, preferably summer.  In fact, she was hired out of college and got her job offer around graduation in May.  But her start date wasn't until Sept. 1st, lol.  Because they don't need anyone in the summertime.  She was actually excited about that.  She just moved back in with her mom, with the confidence of starting her career in September.  And, as she put it, "Got ONE more summer off before having to be an adult." lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had a HS friend who was an accountant with one of the Big 6 firms.  They are insanely busy in the Fall.  12+ hour days, often including Sat.  Fairly busy in Spring.  But summer is dead slow. 

Her company tracks the hours each salaried employee works over 40 during the busy season.  And "comps" them those hours to be taken at another time of the year, preferably summer.  In fact, she was hired out of college and got her job offer around graduation in May.  But her start date wasn't until Sept. 1st, lol.  Because they don't need anyone in the summertime.  She was actually excited about that.  She just moved back in with her mom, with the confidence of starting her career in September.  And, as she put it, "Got ONE more summer off before having to be an adult." lol. 

Soooo I wouldn't do well there.  The only time I want to be at work is in the Summer when they can run the a/c and not me :)  I usually like to get away in the winter to hotter climates where they think its "cold" (I'm looking at YOU Southern California!) and I think it's perfect.  And then in the fall.  Spring sometimes too.  Summer is my time to work!