Wedding Woes

Friday Friday

CharmedPamCharmedPam member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited August 2017 in Wedding Woes
(sung to the tune of Rebecca Black's song)

What's going on this weekend?  We have tickets for Annabelle tonight.  Woohoo.  I had the standard tickets purchased but then decided for the "Completely Captivating" theater in hopes the more money you pay the more serious you are about the movie and won't talk throughout it.  I told my friend in NY about it and said "I would hope if you're paying $16 a ticket you wont talk to your date through the whole thing".  She said "they're $22 here and yeah, they still talk and text through it".

d'oh.

edit for: Saturday we're hanging around with some friends, maybe going to a festival and Sunday - nada.  I do plan to clean my garage though.  keyword: plan.

Re: Friday Friday

• Hopefully sleeping tonight.  I'm exhausted from this week.  Between an extremely painful period, dealing with the bugs, and work, I'm just drained.

We're going out of town for another show on Saturday.  Get to see on of my BFFs from college who has a fabulous new apartment downtown in the city with a pool on the roof.  Come back on Sunday to 13 Ikea boxes of furniture.  Hopefully we can at least get the bed put together in time to sleep on it.  This week has been a relationship test and I guess this will be the final.  :D
  • @CharmedPam I just googled Annabelle and I'm terrified.  Good luck!

I don't do movies often so I usually don't even know what is out.  I want to see Detroit, but I'm torn.  1.  It was shot in Boston, which pisses me off.  2.  From what I've heard, it leaves a ton of the backstory out (the way the Big 3 moved their plants out of the city and into neighborhoods that weren't integrated, leaving black residents jobless) and leaves the impression that Detroit is still the same way.  Don't get me wrong, we have a huge racism problem that is still lingering from a combination of many things, but Detroit is a thriving and growing city and I'm sick and tired of only getting negative news.
  • Working from home today (on my own computer...which means more activity on forums). 

Friends are coming over tomorrow for a tabletop roleplaying game (Star Wars), then local music festival. I'm stoked but already exhausted. One of these weekends I'll have off and be able to actually rest.

@kimmiinthemitten what are you getting a tattoo of?
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited August 2017
    @VarunaTT,  catch up on your sleep, girl!
    @kimmiinthemitten, good luck on your tattoo!  H and i were discussing getting one this year and I said I wanted to wait to see if I could hit near- goal weight first.  Kinda like a reward - but also kinda for the reason of the artist not needing to see my back fat (want it on my shoulder blade).  Bus tour sounds fun!

H and i do nothing but movies!  I keep seeing Detroit but have no idea what it is.  Never saw a trailer. Maybe we'll see that one day?  It would piss me off about it being filmed in Boston too!  Not only is Annabelle a horror movie, apparently completely captivating has new theater sound and visual technology for it.  Don't know what it means, but why not test that out on a horror movie? 

edit: words

• I've never heard that Friday song.  I did hear it is obnoxious, but I somehow escaped it.  ;)

I have to go to Costco tonight.  IDK if I'll go alone or if DH and DefConn will join me.  I have to bake cookies, marinate chicken, and make pasta salad. 

Tomorrow, we're going to my friend's parent's house for the afternoon/overnight.  I might try water skiing for the first time ever.  I like her parents, but they're not going to be there and I'm not complaining.  

Sunday, we'll come home and chillax.  :D And probably watch some preseason football.  DH is very happy that it's all ramping up (even though we may have another shitty season with Luck's status completely questionable). 
  • @CharmedPam I just googled Annabelle and I'm terrified.  Good luck!

I don't do movies often so I usually don't even know what is out.  I want to see Detroit, but I'm torn.  1.  It was shot in Boston, which pisses me off.  2.  From what I've heard, it leaves a ton of the backstory out (the way the Big 3 moved their plants out of the city and into neighborhoods that weren't integrated, leaving black residents jobless) and leaves the impression that Detroit is still the same way.  Don't get me wrong, we have a huge racism problem that is still lingering from a combination of many things, but Detroit is a thriving and growing city and I'm sick and tired of only getting negative news.
    I'm also really torn about Detroit.  It's taking some heavy criticism from some of the PoC activist blogs I follow b/c of how it was made, what stories it leaves out, and the director.  Part of me just wants to read the book it was based off of to educate myself on the situation and leave it at that.
  • Yay Friday, let's hope we don't start a war with the  DPRK before then. 

No set plans, H isn't sure if new job does happy hours/work drinks so we're playing things by ear. It does seem like the place that would do it, so who knows. If not we're going to Shakespeare in the Park; it's Macbeth so it's a fun one. There's a rooftop beer and BBQ event tomorrow we might check out as well. 

Monday I leave for a three day training in Albany so I think we're going to try and have a relaxing weekend. 

@kimmiinthemitten, I feel the same way about Buffalo as you do about Detroit; it gets portrayed as this poor, snowy, rundown city with nothing innovative happening and that couldn't be further from the reality. Sure there are still tons of problems including racism and segregation, homelessness, and wage stagnation, but there is a lot of good, too. Also, post a pic of that tattoo!
  • @JediElizabeth I'm getting a purple/yellow pansy.  This was my inspiration pic I sent him, but I want more yellow and more of a "face."

That's beautiful! Good luck!
  • @charmedpam, it's about the riots in Detroit in 1967.  

@varunatt I know, it's tough.  It's a story that needs to be told, and you can't really address the entire, complex situation without going into a Gettysburg length movie, and who wants to sit through that?  But how can you address the riots without addressing everything that led up to it?

I hadn't heard the criticisms of the director though, what were those?

From the people I know who did see it, they say you leave feeling unsettled, so I do appreciate that it doesn't gloss it over and give everything a happy ending.  I need to just suck it up and go see it for myself.
  • Not a whole amount. SSDD at work.
    Finally washed my blanket last night, and tonight I'll likely wash some sheets to change them tomorrow.

Allergies are being a dick, so I'm all sniffley :(

Tomorrow I'm going to a bridal shower that in a few people's thoughts, shouldn't be happening.

I believe I mentioned this before. My mum is hosting the shower, on request of one of MOH who lives oot. My mum wanted to just have a nice dinner out, considering this is the bride's 2nd marriage and it's a small wedding.
    Like, she wanted to invite people to shower that weren't invited to wedding .... those people politely declined {mentioning the situation to my mum, who understood}

Anyways, OOT MOH said "oh I wanna do a shower for Bride but you have to host it."
    I gave my mum crap for agreeing, especially since it's a huge issue trying to get everyone together to plan things.

Guhh .... I have a lot of rage against this OOT MOH but I'll play nice.

Sunday M and I are probably going downtown to see a bunch of the things for the Canada 150. One place I definitely want to see is called MosaiCanada. It's a bunch of sculptures made of plants. If you follow my instagram, you'll see them. I'll probably be vlogging, so I can link once it's uploaded to youtube if anyone is interested.
    {#shamelessplug if you wanna check out my youtube channel, username is bunnycart}
  • @CharmedPam  Urg we need to clean our garage too :( M realized it's getting bad this morning. We may have found source of the fruit flies fortunately/unfortunately

@VarunaTT  sounds like a fun weekend, hopefully you can get some time to rest. How is the bug situation going?

@kimmiinthemitten  was going to ask what tatt, but saw photo. Pretty!! Where are you getting it done?? {body part I mean}

@JediElizabeth  yay for WFH ;) Rest is for the weak! Lmao
  • @MissKittyDanger It's going.  K finally had a straight up panic attack about it, that I know she's been trying to hold off, last night.  Basically, we got home after the heat treatment and still found 3 live bugs.  Did some googling and it's not unusual to find a few live ones and they are considered to be critically wounded.  We also found where they were nested and holy wow, they were way worse than I thought.  K vacuumed, we emptied the canister, double bagged the trash, took it out and washed out the canister.  This morning she actually found more dead ones where she vacuumed, so I'm hoping her mind is eased a bit.  I told her to stay off Google, b/c she keeps freaking herself out about it.  

We're going to vacuum again tonight and the furniture that was infested/treated was wrapped in plastic and is out as of 7 am this morning, so hopefully this is the killing stroke.  She's feeling pretty guilty b/c we think they either came from her old roommates or from her old client.  New furniture and pillows are in on Sunday, new comforter coming in today, haven't found any in the laundry, clothes have all been laundered and put in bags pre-treatment, so I think we've done all we can.  

@kimmiinthemittenvery basically, that it's another white director telling a PoC story.  And some of the resulting criticism of that story, questioning if it's this way b/c the director is white and oblivious to what she was doing or chose it consciously, etc.  It's been mostly constructive criticism based around working while black in Hollywood and I've appreciated it.  I'm just not sure what to do about it.  
  • @VarunaTT  well at least it's progress! Yah, google can be evil sometimes :( That's good you found their 'nest' :) My uncle kept getting bugs in his old place, but found out it wasn't his place it ended up being the apartment across from his.
    I'm not sure, but I've heard they're like lice and prefer clean to dirty.
  • @kimmiinthemitten and @charlotte989875, don't even get me started on location stereotypes and poor location choices for movies/tv.  So many examples that irritate me, but I will restrain myself.  Though please, please, please.  No more "reality" shows about the Louisiana swamps.  Most of us have our teeth, wear shoes outside, and drive cars.  And don't need subtitles for people to understand us.  Really, really.

@MissKittyDanger, yay Canada 150!

Not much going on for the weekend.  I should probably go grocery shopping.  But probably won't, lol.  Catch up on rest and relaxation, as usual.  I'm just not getting enough during the week.

Oh!  I do want to schedule a plan of attack with H for our upcoming Chicago trip.  When we first scheduled it, we did a lot of general we want to go here, here, here.  Times 100.  And we want to try this, this, this.  Also times 100, lol. 

I'm thinking about buying one of those "passes" for a lot of the attractions.  But they're spendy.  We bought one for our NYC trip and, although I wasn't sorry we did, we really only saved a little money.  And just barely.  If we'd skipped the most expensive attraction we did, and we almost did skip it, we would have lost money on the deal.  Though another perk of those things is line skipping at some places and it's also nice to just whip out the cards instead of fumbling for cash or a credit card...yet again, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @varunatt my mom had bed bugs at her old HUD apartment, I'm so sorry for you both.  They are awful.  We got her a new mattress and pillows with bed bug proof covers, they were helpful at keeping them from infiltrating her bed and may buy K some peace of mind.

There's a similar discussion about businesses in Detroit as the downtown becomes more gentrified.  At the start of the expansion of white businesses, a prominent black businessman said "we had decades and failed to do it."  But when is enough enough?  When is it too much? Something had to happen, but it needs to be done with a diverse leadership, so there's a diverse consumership; which we're missing.  I mean Dan Gilbert's company is under much deserved scrutiny for their "see Detroit the way we do" advertisement featuring all white people, but the fact that it made it that far speaks volumes IMO.
  • @short+sassy Michigan had film tax incentives that our current Governor got rid of, which led to the movie being filmed elsewhere.  They were pretty much a wash financially, but most believe it would have long term positive results on our tourism industry, which is a huge part of our economy.  

We need well known spokespeople, and when someone like Mark Wahlberg likes the place so much he invests his business there, it speaks volumes more than our ads do.
  • Today is our final day of inservice before school officially starts on Monday.  My classroom is pretty well set up and I just need to get a few more things together to be ready.  I'm still in denial that school is actually starting next week.  I think it will hit me when I see all the students in uniform heading into my room.  There are some on campus this week for orientation, but they're not in uniform.  (I teach at an all-girls Catholic school.  They wear the stereotypical plaid skirt.)

I'm trying to decide when to get a pedicure (priorities, I know).  My toes look gross, so this weekend would be good.  On the other hand, I may want to "save" it for next weekend as a reward for getting through the first week.  

This is our first "normal" weekend in a while, so we need to get stuff done around the house.  I think we're going to see Despicable Me 3 this weekend.  
  • O forget, what grades do you teach @holyguacamole79
  • @kimmiinthemitten THANK YOU.  I had no idea they made those.  I just hit Amazon and have a mattress cover and pillow covers being delivered to my mom's on Saturday so we can put them on the new stuff on Sunday.  Between that, new comforter, pillows, and couches, I'm hoping everything is okay.
  • I'll catch up in a few.  I just came back from a doctor's appointment (early lunch) and found out my favorite in house salesguy had resigned.  Just left.  I didn't get to say good bye.  I'm in shock. And I'm legit sad. 

• @CharmedPam  Urg we need to clean our garage too :( M realized it's getting bad this morning. We may have found source of the fruit flies fortunately/unfortunately

@VarunaTT  sounds like a fun weekend, hopefully you can get some time to rest. How is the bug situation going?

@kimmiinthemitten  was going to ask what tatt, but saw photo. Pretty!! Where are you getting it done?? {body part I mean}

I have some stuff that I just want to give away.  It works - but it's just laying in my garage.  elliptical.  TV. parallel bars, doggie stairs....do I post something on nextdoor saying it's on the curb?  Is that how it works?  I have the app but never used it!

• 15 bottles of wine were just delivered to my house.  All I'm waiting on is the replacement HP box set (this is set number 3 for me) to arrive, and I'm set.

@VarunaTT, sorry to hear about the bed bugs, but I'm glad that's pretty much resolved now.  Bugs are gross.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• @short+sassy Michigan had film tax incentives that our current Governor got rid of, which led to the movie being filmed elsewhere.  They were pretty much a wash financially, but most believe it would have long term positive results on our tourism industry, which is a huge part of our economy.  

We need well known spokespeople, and when someone like Mark Wahlberg likes the place so much he invests his business there, it speaks volumes more than our ads do.

Louisiana gave away the farm on film tax incentives.  It's a topic of debate locally.  But, wow, it blossomed a whole new industry in just the last decade.  And NOLA added a new nickname..."Hollywood South".  I've seen reports from a number of places that there are more movies produced here now than in CA.  But I can't imagine that's true and give it a huge side-eye.

With that said, and I realize this is a tv show not a movie, but NCIS: New Orleans is primarily filmed in Los Angeles.  Not here, lol.  I guarantee you that big, fancy NOLA office in the French Quarter they have going on is a Hollywood set.  It's a very, impressive and well done set.  It's accurate.  But they're certainly not paying $15K-$20K/month in rent for the real deal, when they can recreate the same thing at a studio.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 15 bottles of wine were just delivered to my house.  All I'm waiting on is the replacement HP box set (this is set number 3 for me) to arrive, and I'm set.

@VarunaTT, sorry to hear about the bed bugs, but I'm glad that's pretty much resolved now.  Bugs are gross.
    I'm on #2 and it's on it's way out. The books not the movies. Although I could use a replacement for those, too. 
  • @CharmedPam  Never used an app, we typically just donate to Canadian Diabetes Association. They have a bin near my mum's, so we just drop stuff there - or put it on the curb so people can pick up.
  • @charlotte989875, I got the library bindings this time, so hopefully the shelf life is better. 

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited August 2017
    @CharmedPam  Never used an app, we typically just donate to Canadian Diabetes Association. They have a bin near my mum's, so we just drop stuff there - or put it on the curb so people can pick up.

That's a good idea, but the elliptical wont fit anyone's car.  On our street, we have a lot of people driving around looking for stuff on the curb. Especially metal.  You'd think the people driving around for scrap metal are collecting gold.

@VarunatTT, from what I gather you're saying - bed bugs = money spent.  My H should be put up in a bad Chicago hotel for work (but he doesn't have to, he comes home to me) which is notorious for bedbugs!  I'm scared one of his coworkers will get get it and spread it. 

I have some stuff that I just want to give away.  It works - but it's just laying in my garage.  elliptical.  TV. parallel bars, doggie stairs....do I post something on nextdoor saying it's on the curb?  Is that how it works?  I have the app but never used it!

You can also post it on Craig's List.  They have a "free stuff" category.

I've heard FB usually has a page like that for most areas, but I've never investigated it.

But if people regularly scrounge for curbside stuff, you probably don't even have to bother.  I just put stuff out on the curb and, if it isn't gone in a few hours, then I'll post the freebie ads.  It's always gone before I need to, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker