Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Bride with food allergies

Hey guys, I'm in the very early stages of planning and I've been looking at food and wedding reception venues. The biggest issue I'm having is that I have a severe soy allergy and my maid of honor has a very severe peanut allergy (we both carry epi-pens). I really want to have a buffet style meal, and me able to eat all (or at least most) of the food at my own dang wedding that I am paying for. I've never been able to freely eat at a buffet, and this is the one thing that is really important to me.  However, all the venues I have talked to so far say they can't get peanuts completely out of the kitchen (definite dealbreaker) and that I should go with a catering company. But the catering companies only say they can make me and my maid of honor separate plates, which I want to avoid. Any suggestions?

Re: Bride with food allergies

• Are there any restaurants near you that are allergen free? They might be able to offer catering services. How about a Mexican restaurant that caters? Peanuts aren't common in Mexican cuisine, and  I don't think soy is either (except as a meat substitute, but you wouldn't have to offer it).

You could also check with Whole Foods or similar grocers if you have one nearby. One of my coworkers has a daughter with 8 billion food allergies, and WF has been able to do smaller-scale catering for them (like parties in the home). If they're not able to scale up to a wedding, maybe they're aware of other vendors who are?

Also, this might be a silly suggestion, but what about places that cater to children? We have an awesome children's museum that holds after-hours events, so they have a really great catering service. I feel like places that provide food for kids are so sensitive now about being nut-free. They might also be able to offer suggestions of caterers they've used. Are there any local groups about parents of kids with allergies or something like that on Facebook? Hit them up for suggestions too.
  • I definitely agree about checking with restaurants, do you have any favorites that are (or can be) soy free and/or peanut free? Another option is to go with a caterer than can guarantee soy-free buffet, but so a separate plate for your MOH. Definitely not ideal but working with two severe allergies for the buffet might be more difficult than only one? I know you'd probably like to ensure she can eat freely from the buffet, too but it might be the case that it's either her or you, or played meals. 
  • Thank you so much for the input! I actually do have a restaurant that my fiance and I love, and they were the ones that told me I would most likely need to get a separate plate. But after reading some of the comments, I decided to explore my options further. I asked them to let me know which foods in their catering menu could be made soy free, and I'm going to hopefully pick from those to create my Buffet. I think I was throwing too many irons in the fire trying to worry about both allergies at once.
  • Thank you so much for the input! I actually do have a restaurant that my fiance and I love, and they were the ones that told me I would most likely need to get a separate plate. But after reading some of the comments, I decided to explore my options further. I asked them to let me know which foods in their catering menu could be made soy free, and I'm going to hopefully pick from those to create my Buffet. I think I was throwing too many irons in the fire trying to worry about both allergies at once.
    Soy should be relatively easy to do a buffet without but peanuts are an entirely different animal to deal with from the kitchen side of things.  It may really come down to not being able to get both of those accommodations in a buffet.  

I would also talk to your MOH about if/where she goes to eat out and the precautions she takes/what she says. I had the following allergies (all anaphylactic ... including me) at my wedding: shellfish, peanuts, strawberries and avocado. All the people go out to eat and have to work with restaurants who regularly use the ingredients. I just ensured that none of the menu items that I was serving included those ingredients and we were good to go.

*I know there is always a chance of cross contamination/risk of anaphylaxis when I eat out and I find that most places are really good with a heads up. I even been good with buffets when there is no shellfish on the specific event menu.

• I would love to know how you overcame this. Every caterer I talk to wants to build a menu that will kill me, make me a separate plate and then, I guess I don't hug or kiss anyone at my wedding? I'm crushed. 
  • I would love to know how you overcame this. Every caterer I talk to wants to build a menu that will kill me, make me a separate plate and then, I guess I don't hug or kiss anyone at my wedding? I'm crushed. 
    Welcome to the Knot! This thread is 5 years old and is considered a Zombie thread. If you want to discuss this topic now, start a new thread.