Flowers

is this actually a limited flower budget????

Our flower budget is at about $2k (maybe more if necessary). I've contacted a few florists with my budget, guest count and floral needs (bouquet, boutonnieres and centerpieces: most being candles) and I haven't gotten much of a response. I am far from the DIY person, in fact, I'd like to avoid that completely if I can, with the exception of invites, thank you cards and seating cards. Is this budget reasonable for an all-inclusive (tax, set-up) type deal with a florist? Our wedding is in Long Island, NY.

Re: is this actually a limited flower budget????

• kahluakoalakahluakoala member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2018
    I would like an answer to this as well! I haven't started contacting florists yet, but my wedding is in NYC (the boroughs, not Manhattan) and my budget is around $3k and I am also not a DIY person and am looking for something very similar to you - mostly candles, a few succulents or greenery, very simple. Bouquets and bouts for 5 BMs and 2 GMs.

I am having 200 guests, which will be 20 tables, and my wedding in early spring 2019 - how many guests do you have and when's your wedding?

The advice I've gotten from friends who have recently planned weddings was that their florists was their most difficult vendor - not as adept on email, not as responsive through theknot or weddingwire, made mistakes in estimates and things (like, addition mistakes), most attempted upselling. I'm not looking forward to it, but also don't plan to spend my wedding week gluing hot gluing silk flowers to mason jars or stalking Michaels for deals so idk what to do.
  • I think $2000 is a bit on the low side. DD had a Chicago wedding with 5 BM, MOB, BOG, GMOG 17 centerpieces (floral + candles) and of course her bouquet. The cost was a bit over $3000 and that was considered lower end 3 years ago. Her florist was wonderful and very responsive and helpful. DD didn't have specific flower requirements she just gave the florist a color palette and told her to do her most economical work.
  • Our flower budget is at about $2k (maybe more if necessary). I've contacted a few florists with my budget, guest count and floral needs (bouquet, boutonnieres and centerpieces: most being candles) and I haven't gotten much of a response. I am far from the DIY person, in fact, I'd like to avoid that completely if I can, with the exception of invites, thank you cards and seating cards. Is this budget reasonable for an all-inclusive (tax, set-up) type deal with a florist? Our wedding is in Long Island, NY.
    I think it depends on the size of your wedding. I think our budget was close to that but I only had two bridesmaids and 65 guests. Also we DIYed all the flowers.
  • So our October 20 wedding is about 150-160 people; 4 bridesmaids 5 groomsmen; family isn't getting flowers to honor them in any way otherwise I'd be spending A LOT more. I have no specific flower requirement and my color palette would be white/ivory and greenery. I did get a quote for just flowers (no set-up, taxes) for $2500 and honestly if they send me a full quote that includes everything and it's at about $3k I think we're willing to do it just so I don't have to worry about it. This is probably the thing we care least about, our venue has a beautiful view and a pretty great garden on its own. 
  • Your budget might be a little low for your area. Something you could try to do to stay in budget is to do floral arrangements for only half the tables For the other half, do lanterns or ask the florist if they can use scrap greenery to make a "wreath" for candle arrangements (for cheap!).

Taxes are a given, but if you have a venue coordinator, you may want to ask if putting arrangements on table is included in THEIR fee. If it is, you only need to pay the florist to deliver the flowers, not set them up.

You can also ask what size bouquets they're quoting and clarify that you want small bouquets for the BMs.

You might also be able to save by nixing the boutonnieres and getting simple ones from Kroger (like $10/ea).
    *********************************************************************************

• Hi @fahlalalala

I grew up on Long Island- left when it was time to go to college :)  I live in NJ now, which is one of the most ridiculously priced areas when it comes to weddings (or, just in general, actually- lol)

My total flower spend came to $6500.  $2000 on Long Island/metro NY/NJ is going to be pretty low...  some florists will be able to work with you, for sure, but you may have to do a lot of searching/reaching out.  You may have some more success if you are able to up your budget a little bit (can you cut a little from somewhere else?), or are willing to take on some DIY elements.

Good luck!  Happy planning! 
  • I think that’s low for your area. I might try leaving it out of initial emails and seeing if you get a better response. 

• Your budget will be tight, but certainly doable unless you have specific flowers in mind.  Concentrate on colors, not on specific flowers.  What time of year?  Tulips are cheaper in spring.  Chrysanthemums are great in fall.  Ask a florist about lower cost ideas.
    My own wedding featured carnations and daisies, with just a few roses.  My grandmother was so thrilled with the look, she asked to take home the altarpiece to use at her party the next day!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • For the area and the size wedding and bridal party you have, I do think $2k is on the low side.  My wedding flowers in northern NJ were $2k at most (probably less), but I also had a smaller wedding. 

I do think that $3k would be sufficient, though, as long as you don't want anything too elaborate and are willing to incorporate some non-floral items. Your venue sounds very nice on its own, so you probably don't need all that much. I totally sympathize on not wanting to do the DIY thing - I didn't either!

• I was recently quoted $1700 on bloominous which is AMAZING IMO. Fiance and I are going to rely on his retired parents to help us get it all done. His mom LOVES flowers-- I've honestly never seen someone keep flowers, not plants, alive for so long. A friend/bridesmaid also volunteered to help. Wish me luck on my one and only creative DIY endeavor. 
  • First things first, you're going about the budget process a bit wrong...  Your florist doesn't set the budget, you do.  Your florist tells you what you can get for the money that's closest to your vision which means a bit of give and take especially on your part for achieving the look.  Your budget is absolutely doable, even in higher budget areas, you just need to be flexible and firm.  "I have a $2000 budget maximum after tax, I need XYZ of this that and the next thing."  As another suggested, I'd edit the centerpieces aspect and work with your florist there as all tables do not need to be the same, but there does need to be cohesion, and if the $2k is what you can afford, be firm about it and focus on where the floral arrangements will make the most impact (your centerpieces this is not)...  Remember this is a business transaction, not an emotional purchase.

• MesmrEwe said:
    First things first, you're going about the budget process a bit wrong...  Your florist doesn't set the budget, you do.  Your florist tells you what you can get for the money that's closest to your vision which means a bit of give and take especially on your part for achieving the look.  Your budget is absolutely doable, even in higher budget areas, you just need to be flexible and firm.  "I have a $2000 budget maximum after tax, I need XYZ of this that and the next thing."  As another suggested, I'd edit the centerpieces aspect and work with your florist there as all tables do not need to be the same, but there does need to be cohesion, and if the $2k is what you can afford, be firm about it and focus on where the floral arrangements will make the most impact (your centerpieces this is not)...  Remember this is a business transaction, not an emotional purchase.

I think the problem was, OP was emailing florists like, "my budget is $2k" and they're not getting back to her...
  • MesmrEwe said:
    First things first, you're going about the budget process a bit wrong...  Your florist doesn't set the budget, you do.  Your florist tells you what you can get for the money that's closest to your vision which means a bit of give and take especially on your part for achieving the look.  Your budget is absolutely doable, even in higher budget areas, you just need to be flexible and firm.  "I have a $2000 budget maximum after tax, I need XYZ of this that and the next thing."  As another suggested, I'd edit the centerpieces aspect and work with your florist there as all tables do not need to be the same, but there does need to be cohesion, and if the $2k is what you can afford, be firm about it and focus on where the floral arrangements will make the most impact (your centerpieces this is not)...  Remember this is a business transaction, not an emotional purchase.

I think the problem was, OP was emailing florists like, "my budget is $2k" and they're not getting back to her...
    That method won't work anywhere!  Actually have to go visit the florist.  Too many scams out there and very well written ones at that...
  • I'm here to update you all!! I was able to work with my budget and found Black Dahlia in LI to decorate our wedding. They are super nice and reasonable with prices. Contact them ASAP!!
  • I think that’s low for your area. I might try leaving it out of initial emails and seeing if you get a better response. 

I agree