Budget Weddings Forum

One glass for the night

I want to do the one glass for the night and have guests keep them as favors. My question is how does this work logistically? Does it work out with guests switching from wine to water to beer, etc...? Do you typically serve water in bottles? Do you have a station to wash out your glass?

Answers

• I want to do the one glass for the night and have guests keep them as favors. My question is how does this work logistically? Does it work out with guests switching from wine to water to beer, etc...? Do you typically serve water in bottles? Do you have a station to wash out your glass?
    Bad idea, and unsanitary, too.  Nobody wants to keep your glass as a wedding favor.  Plastic cups work fine.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • flantasticflantastic member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2018
    Seconded that no one wants the glass, especially if they have to carry it wet out of the venue. Also agree that it's unsanitary, especially considering there's not going to be a good option for drying them even if you have a "washing" station.

I've also double-fisted (with water) - keeping myself sober enough by drinking water along with my alcohol. One glass makes that difficult.

Just do plastic or paper cups. I appreciate if they're able to be put in recycling containers at the end of the night. I appreciate that more than I want a souvenir glass from any wedding I've ever been to. You don't need favors; if you're looking to save money, skip them, because no one will notice as long as your party is fun.
  • I want to do the one glass for the night and have guests keep them as favors. My question is how does this work logistically? Does it work out with guests switching from wine to water to beer, etc...? Do you typically serve water in bottles? Do you have a station to wash out your glass?
    I don't think this works for a variety of reasons:
    -Guests misplace their glasses.
    -They switch drinks and one glass doesn't suit all.
    -Glasses break.
    -It's not sanitary to use the same glass for different beverages without the staff washing them in between.

Also, most of the time people don't want glasses as favors.   We have a couple shot glass favors that are now in the back of the cabinet and any monogrammed wine glasses (we got from vineyards) are the ones we use for picnics when we don't care if they break. 

I'd talk to your venue about this but would look into another option.
  • I’ve thrown out every single souvenir glass I’ve gotten from a wedding. Save the money and do paper/plastic disposable or rent glasses from a company. No one wants to wash their own cup and if you put it down you may end up picking up someone else’s. yuck. 
    To the bolded, it doesn't. 

I've been to a few weddings that tried to do this - back when mason jars and rustic was a "thing". People got the cups mixed up (yes, even when they were labeled), misplaced them, wanted a cup for water AND a cup for a drink, etc. And then you're taking home a wet, sticky cup at the end of the night? Nah. Most people leave them and then someone has to clean them all up anyway. It just doesn't work well logistically. 

You would be better off cutting your budget in another area so that you can afford cups. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I had one friend try to do this and it didn't work at all. The first thing was that no one knew they were supposed to use the glasses on the table that were engraved with the wedding date. The venue had a regular bar setup, and we all ordered beer by the pitcher and drank from the plastic pitcher (hi, Wisconsin drinkers are classy). One of the bartenders did eventually run and grab some plastic cups from somewhere else in the venue.

Besides the guest confusion, it's kind of gross to use the same glass for any combination of water/beer/wine all night, and if someone wants water along with an alcoholic drink they're SOL. And no one wants to bring home a wet sticky glass when they're all dressed up. I think that was partly why no one used the cups at the wedding I mentioned.
  • Although not a wedding, there is a Food and Wine experience event in my city every year that I typically attend.  It's dozens of winery booths with free samples.  You receive a wineglass when you first walk in and most people do use that for their free samples.  But then, sampling wine is the whole point of the event.  Some people leave the wineglasses there when they're done and do not keep them as a souvenir (they're nice and do have the event name/logo on them).  Or people can turn the dirty glass in on their way out and take a fresh, clean one as a souvenir instead.

Like other PPs have pointed out, the souvenir glasses are just not going to work out the way you all might hope and other glasses need to be available also.  People are going to be mingling, dancing, chatting, etc. and do not want to keep track of whose glass is whose.

Party favors are not necessary at all.  But, if you all want to provide one, the most popular kinds tend to be edible. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Something in a course I took on working with addictions and same for a safety class was "once you set your glass down, you never pick it back up" It's nothing personal, it's both a safety thing, and for those in recovery, it's to ensure sobriety (people think it's "funny" to spike their drink). 

Also, no one above the just moved out of their parent's house stage wants a random cup from your wedding... 
  • I was at a wedding that had this. I think it worked fine, however, they only had various infused waters, so the flavor difference didn't really matter. I don't know that it'd work super well transitioning. Personally, I hate the taste of leftover whatever in my cup flavoring my water. 
  • Last October my church had a rummage sale.  There was a big table of those engraved souvenir glasses.  We couldn't give them away!  DH took them to the recycling plant.  Is that what you want to happen?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I went to a wedding at a brewery and they had a souvenir glass for everyone. The glasses were clean and on a table by the exit, so you could take one as you left. They were not for using during the wedding itself. If you're into doing a souvenir glass, that's an option.

We used a cobalt-blue water glass to brighten up our table settings. They were at the place settings the way a water glass usually is. All of the bar glassware was normal clear glass, and people could get as many different drinks/glasses as they needed. I assume if for some reason someone needed a new water glass they could have just gotten a glass of water at the bar? I have no idea. But this was one way to have a "fancy glass" but still allow everyone to use as many glasses as they needed.
  • The reason there are different kinds of glasses for drinks is that some drinks need more or less space, or need their containers to have specific shapes. so that they have the right tastes. A drink that tastes good in one type of glass might not in another.

Also, some drinks don't mix well together. If you reuse glasses, the remains of one drink may get into, and possibly contaminate, the next drink. The resulting concoction may be gross!