Wedding Woes

Ovary up and get that W-2

Dear Prudence,

I’m a recent college grad, and last year was a super turbulent one for me. In 2017 I had four jobs and lived in two states. Now it’s time to start doing my taxes, and I’m still missing a W-2 form. Of course, the W-2 I’m missing is from the worst job I had ever had.

I was briefly a waitress in a tiny, crappy breakfast diner very early in the year. The hours and work were horrific, and the people were some of the worst I have ever known. My co-workers and bosses were immature (think: purposely ignoring my questions or refusing to train me if they saw I got a better tip), incompetent (think: losing my Social Security number twice while trying to set up my paychecks and making me write it on the back of receipts for them), and flat-out mean (think: my boss making fun of my art degree to my face after a hard shift until I cried). The idea of calling them to ask them to send my W-2 is so stressful I can’t breathe. But I don’t think they’ll send it unless I call. The restaurant is walking distance from my parents’ house, and my paystub seems to list a third-party accountant. What should I do?

—An Anxious Ex-Waitress

Re: Ovary up and get that W-2

• Does the states not allow access online to get tax info?

In Canada, if you sign up then you can get all your tax info from previous jobs for that year, previous years, etc.

If that's an option, LW could go that route if they're just being dicks. Legally they have to submit it online ...

In Canada, if you sign up then you can get all your tax info from previous jobs for that year, previous years, etc.

If that's an option, LW could go that route if they're just being dicks. Legally they have to submit it online ...
    No. 

No. 
    Damn .... :\

I was not aware of this.  ((SMH in annoyance at the IRS)).  I've definitely had times when that would have been super helpful.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

I was not aware of this.  ((SMH in annoyance at the IRS)).  I've definitely had times when that would have been super helpful.
    It works well if you've moved, or for whatever reason you haven't gotten it in the mail.
    *shakes fist* damn IRS
  • I agree, LW, that job and the owners sound ridiculously horrible.

And?  You haven't even called the 3rd party accountant yet?  I'm sure that person/company is much more organized and might have the info you are looking for anyway.  Why haven't you at least contacted them?

Start there.  And if they refer you back to the restaurant, call there.  Or send an e-mail (if they have that available).  Plan out what you are going to say, if that give you a little more confidence.  Perhaps even look forward to politely pointing out how they have fallen down on the job, ie "as I'm sure you're aware, you were required to mail my W-2 out no later than Jan. 31, 2018." 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Whoa. If you can't call and ask for a W2 and still manage to breathe, you're either a super shitty adult who will likely be walked all over for the rest of your life, or you have serious mental health issues that need to be addresses stat.

So there are crap jobs. And mean bosses. And bad working conditions. Welcome to adulting. Now call and then do your taxes.
    Exactly.  If this paralyzes her, then she's got some real surprises in store as she moves through life.  

I'd love to hear the owners perspective on her as an employee...just sayin'.  ;) 
  • Have a friend or family member call if it's that bad?  Personally I think there's other things to fear, but this is a simple fix.  

• mrsconn23 said:
    Whoa. If you can't call and ask for a W2 and still manage to breathe, you're either a super shitty adult who will likely be walked all over for the rest of your life, or you have serious mental health issues that need to be addresses stat.

So there are crap jobs. And mean bosses. And bad working conditions. Welcome to adulting. Now call and then do your taxes.
    Exactly.  If this paralyzes her, then she's got some real surprises in store as she moves through life.  

I'd love to hear the owners perspective on her as an employee...just sayin'.  ;) 
    I was thinking the same thing. So her top complaints are that: the hours were bad (it's a breakfast diner, so she probably had to wake up early), people ignored her questions about training ("take the order, be nice to people, bring them their food....why do you have questions?"), they asked for her SSN more than once, and they made fun of her art degree. OH MY GOD, CALL THE POLICE! *eyeroll* this LW sounds like she needed/needs some toughening up.
    *********************************************************************************

TBF, this only works if a) the employer submits the T4 (our equivalent to W-2) electronically; b) on time by paper. Otherwise, you have to contact the CRA who gives the employer 2 weeks notice to produce said document or the business will be fined and audited. 
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2018
    I also want to know what "Refusing to train me if they saw I got a better tip" means.   If you got a good tip doesn't that indicate that the customer was pleased?

I'm in no way thinking that waiting tables is easy but I also wonder what the LW was expecting.

Also, if she lived in two states, can't she just call the accountant and phrase it as, "You may have the incorrect address for my W-2 on file.   Can you please confirm it was mailed to X?" 

• I can understand her anxiety.  Manager of my last job with Diva (narcissist, bullying, gaslighting, just outright cruel boss) e-mailed me something last fall and I had a panic attack just seeing the e-mail address show up in my inbox.  

I'd call the 3rd party accountant first.  Then follow the other steps @Ro041 linked to and a credit check.
  • Get that W-2 by whatever means necessary! One year in college, I worked probably 5-6 different crap jobs and made a total of like $8-10K. I didn't enter one of the employers when I did my taxes, because it gave me a slightly better return. I literally worked like 30 hours for that job and made next to no money, so I didn't understand why that was the case but hey more money! Three years later I got a not-so-friendly letter from the IRS saying I owed $300 like immediately.

Stupid me, but....poor college student. Don't mess with your taxes.
  • levioosa said:
    Ditto PPs. Also, if I was LW, I'd be running a security check on my info. They lost her social twice and then had her write it down on random sheets of paper? 

Don't even get me started!  A few months after I filed for unemployment six years ago, I had to take a "class" on finding a job in order to keep the payments coming.  I think politicians taking a class on how to NOT tank our economy would have been substantially more useful, but I digress.

I first went to a reception desk with a sign-in sheet.  The sign-in sheet asked for your name, address, SSN, and phone number.  I thought to myself, "Wow!  That is a treasure trove of information to possibly impersonate someone and wipe out their bank account."  I wrote just my name.

Then I got to the meeting area outside the classroom and there is another sign-in sheet that is being passed around from person to person.  Also with SSNs.  I approached one of the employees in the room with us and politely said something like, "I realize and understand that you all need my SSN, but I would like to give that to you all in a more private setting where it wouldn't be accessible to all the random strangers taking this class with me."

She acted like I was some difficult child, crazy person.  She told me I had to give them my SSN and only their personnel have access to it.  I pointed out that this wasn't quite true.  Everyone in that room could...and had to...look at the sign-in sheet.  She rolled her eyes at me, but finally relented.  But with a stern warning that I needed to provide my SSN to one of them after the class or I wouldn't get credit for being there.

I had actually memorized the name and SSN of the person on the sign-in sheet before me, to prove my point if need be, lol.  And the magic of short-term memory is it was almost immediately forgotten, once I got my way.  Someone really up to no good could have easily taken a photo of either one of those sign-in sheets and had a couple dozen names and socials.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • levioosa said:
    Ditto PPs. Also, if I was LW, I'd be running a security check on my info. They lost her social twice and then had her write it down on random sheets of paper? 

Don't even get me started!  A few months after I filed for unemployment six years ago, I had to take a "class" on finding a job in order to keep the payments coming.  I think politicians taking a class on how to NOT tank our economy would have been substantially more useful, but I digress.

I first went to a reception desk with a sign-in sheet.  The sign-in sheet asked for your name, address, SSN, and phone number.  I thought to myself, "Wow!  That is a treasure trove of information to possibly impersonate someone and wipe out their bank account."  I wrote just my name.

Then I got to the meeting area outside the classroom and there is another sign-in sheet that is being passed around from person to person.  Also with SSNs.  I approached one of the employees in the room with us and politely said something like, "I realize and understand that you all need my SSN, but I would like to give that to you all in a more private setting where it wouldn't be accessible to all the random strangers taking this class with me."

She acted like I was some difficult child, crazy person.  She told me I had to give them my SSN and only their personnel have access to it.  I pointed out that this wasn't quite true.  Everyone in that room could...and had to...look at the sign-in sheet.  She rolled her eyes at me, but finally relented.  But with a stern warning that I needed to provide my SSN to one of them after the class or I wouldn't get credit for being there.

I had actually memorized the name and SSN of the person on the sign-in sheet before me, to prove my point if need be, lol.  And the magic of short-term memory is it was almost immediately forgotten, once I got my way.  Someone really up to no good could have easily taken a photo of either one of those sign-in sheets and had a couple dozen names and socials.

girl, I get like this when they ask me for my email address on a sign in sheet.  Why? for more spam? NO! I can't imagine a SSN in that type of setting!