Wedding Woes
Options

THURSDAY

2»

Re: THURSDAY

• Options
    levioosa said:
    @ShesSoCold - I shouldn't have done it. I knew when I put the order in that I shouldn't have done it. But GD those cute little drug dealers and their fabulous product.

Do you have to replace the drywall?

Yeah thankfully I haven't encountered any girl scouts in person (yet).

Hopefully not - we'll see how well it dries over the next couple days and then the water resto guy will reassess.

Last time I got an exam, there was a student in the room. Usually they ask before they bring them in but I don't care. There's the doctor, all up in my bits and he says to her "hey! have you ever seen strings?!" all excitedly and invites her over to take a look. I could definitely have used $125 for that.  

Ugh. That’s not okay. The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago during a physical therapy evaluation. Not quite the same, because I wasn’t all exposed, but I was still like “maybe ask me first?”  

Vaginal exams for practice used to be done by med students on unconscious, sedated patients without consent during surgery, which was only deemed unethical a few years ago by the AMA. I’m happy for my tuition to go to paying live models so I can get the experience and practice. I also am not a huge fan of asking patients if it’s okay for students to observe when they are already all in the room. It’s too coercive. 

Yeah I absolutely agree. I'd feel like a big ass telling the student to go away when they're already there.

Luckily I would have said yes to any of these things but I can definitely see how someone else might be pretty upset at a doctor inviting someone to look all the way up their vagina without consent.

Yeah, I pretty much always said yes, especially if it was an annual or routine exam. But if they didn't ask? That would be a big nope from me. 
  • Options
    @ShesSoCold - I shouldn't have done it. I knew when I put the order in that I shouldn't have done it. But GD those cute little drug dealers and their fabulous product.

I read an article a couple years ago that one smart and savvy GS young lady opened her cookie stand right outside one of those marijuana dispensary shops.  She ended up being one of the top sellers for cookies in her region, lol. 
    That is awesome! :D Entrepreneur right there!
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    levioosa said:

Hopefully not - we'll see how well it dries over the next couple days and then the water resto guy will reassess.

Last time I got an exam, there was a student in the room. Usually they ask before they bring them in but I don't care. There's the doctor, all up in my bits and he says to her "hey! have you ever seen strings?!" all excitedly and invites her over to take a look. I could definitely have used $125 for that.  

Ugh. That’s not okay. The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago during a physical therapy evaluation. Not quite the same, because I wasn’t all exposed, but I was still like “maybe ask me first?”  

Vaginal exams for practice used to be done by med students on unconscious, sedated patients without consent during surgery, which was only deemed unethical a few years ago by the AMA. I’m happy for my tuition to go to paying live models so I can get the experience and practice. I also am not a huge fan of asking patients if it’s okay for students to observe when they are already all in the room. It’s too coercive. 
    I went to grad school where there was a huge med school and practical experience was a big part of their education, so there were always residents/med students/student observers around. Each time the Doctor or NP would come into the room, before asking the patient to get undressed, without the resident and explain that it was a teaching hospital and students were a part of the program. They would ask if you were okay with having a resident observe, having them do the exam, or not have them in the room at all. Then they would leave and come back with the resident or student depending on your answer. They would never do it with the students/residents in the room. 
    I wish it was always like that. I’ve seen some sad/unethical things, especially at low income area hospitals. One of them is a teaching hospital and I saw several med students/interns that treated the patients like they were just there for practice. The disparity was glaringly obvious with women, POC and non-English speaking patients. 

• Options
    levioosa said:
    levioosa said:

I went to grad school where there was a huge med school and practical experience was a big part of their education, so there were always residents/med students/student observers around. Each time the Doctor or NP would come into the room, before asking the patient to get undressed, without the resident and explain that it was a teaching hospital and students were a part of the program. They would ask if you were okay with having a resident observe, having them do the exam, or not have them in the room at all. Then they would leave and come back with the resident or student depending on your answer. They would never do it with the students/residents in the room. 
    I wish it was always like that. I’ve seen some sad/unethical things, especially at low income area hospitals. One of them is a teaching hospital and I saw several med students/interns that treated the patients like they were just there for practice. The disparity was glaringly obvious with women, POC and non-English speaking patients. 
    Oh I bet it's terrible; this was a wealthy, Northeastern, Ivy-League school, in a predominately white town. I have no doubt this exception and not the rule.
  • Options

SouthernBelle, that is exactly why I don't even allow myself to buy GS cookies anymore.

That and I have an awesome recipe for cookies similar to do-si-does (my favorite).

I DVRed the women's hockey last night while watching the downhill and ski halfpipe. How can you NOT love Lindsey Vonn? The halfpipe was rough - so many guys went down!

Water in the basement is in the drywall. :( Thankfully H "has a guy" and he's helping us out a little on the cost and telling us how to do the parts we can do ourselves. Fingers crossed that everything will be dry by the end of the weekend and this can be over! I don't want a homeowners claim.

No you DO NOT want to do a claim. We just got a letter yesterday telling me that State Farm in canceling our homeowners insurance. We have had them for home, 5 cars and life insurance since 1985! I had a claim 4 years ago and then one a few weeks ago. The letter listed all claims we have ever had starting in 1993 and ending with this one. They all total less than $11,000 spread over 15 years and they canceled us. (the years previous to 1993 were 0!!) Now I have 30 days to find a new company and I am switching everything, they aren't getting my other business either.

• Options

SouthernBelle, that is exactly why I don't even allow myself to buy GS cookies anymore.

That and I have an awesome recipe for cookies similar to do-si-does (my favorite).

I DVRed the women's hockey last night while watching the downhill and ski halfpipe. How can you NOT love Lindsey Vonn? The halfpipe was rough - so many guys went down!

Water in the basement is in the drywall. :( Thankfully H "has a guy" and he's helping us out a little on the cost and telling us how to do the parts we can do ourselves. Fingers crossed that everything will be dry by the end of the weekend and this can be over! I don't want a homeowners claim.

No you DO NOT want to do a claim. We just got a letter yesterday telling me that State Farm in canceling our homeowners insurance. We have had them for home, 5 cars and life insurance since 1985! I had a claim 4 years ago and then one a few weeks ago. The letter listed all claims we have ever had starting in 1993 and ending with this one. They all total less than $11,000 spread over 15 years and they canceled us. (the years previous to 1993 were 0!!) Now I have 30 days to find a new company and I am switching everything, they aren't getting my other business either.

I had friends who lost their home insurance because the PREVIOUS owners of the house had made a small fire claim. No structural damage or anything. So then they had to scramble to find new insurance. Insurance companies are the worst. 

• Options

That's terrible! I work in insurance and in IL, the insurance company cannot cancel a policy that's been in effect for over 5 years due to claims. I'm sorry that's not the case in your state! I don't blame you for moving everything; that's bullshit.

We've only been in the house 2 years and that's one of the big reasons I don't want to claim.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    Oh no, they get paid a ton of money. Last night one of the students in my group asked the woman how much she gets paid and she said she probably shouldn’t say. I mentioned that my research online revealed a couple people who said they made $125*/hr doing it, and she said she wouldn’t do it for that little amount. So I’m guessing it’s A LOT more than that  The guy confirmed that for me. He was great, really patient, had some humor, and helped guide us really well, but he also kept joking about how he doesn’t like pain, he doesn’t like exams, he doesn’t like being touched. So I’m guessing for him to be comfortable with six students doing a testicular/rectal exam it has to be a crap ton of money. 

I got got an email last night to be a live model for an ultrasound. It’s $50 an hour to just lie down for six hours and have ultrasound students take pictures of my heart. I’m really sad I’m already  working 5/6 days because I would otherwise totally do it. I might still sign up for one day. 

ETA: sorry, $125:hr, not $125 total

There was a funny Seinfeld episode where Kramer and one of his buddies had a paid opportunity at a medical school.  Each person in the study would be "assigned" an illness and they would portray/discuss those symptoms with the medical students examining them.  I forget what it was, but Kramer and his friend started fighting over who was better qualified to portray the "better" disease.

I think I've only been asked once if it was okay for a student to observe my appointment.  I was asked once I was already in the exam room and it was in the presence of the student.  Though this was for an endocrinology appointment where I stayed fully dressed.

It actually ended up being on the positive side for me.  At one point, the doctor needed to leave the room for a few minutes, but the student stayed with me.  While we were waiting, she asked me what made me first think I was diabetic.  I told her I never suspected I was diabetic, but first went to the doctor because I was feeling so tired all the time.  I told her about those first few days and that, once I knew what the symptoms were, discussed how those symptoms were for me also.

Probably a fairly boring conversation for most people, lol, but she was FASCINATED and rapt with attention.  She also asked questions while I was telling my story.  I felt like I'd added a teensy bit of real world knowledge to her experiences toward becoming a doctor.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Do you guys know how hard it is not to yell "ROCK" in the middle of the office when your Pandora plays "I Wanna Rock" by Twisted Sister?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

That's terrible! I work in insurance and in IL, the insurance company cannot cancel a policy that's been in effect for over 5 years due to claims. I'm sorry that's not the case in your state! I don't blame you for moving everything; that's bullshit.

We've only been in the house 2 years and that's one of the big reasons I don't want to claim.

@southernbelle0915, I forgot about that State Farm commercial!  That ad was hilarious.  Thanks for the reminder.

I live in an area (NOLA) with the second highest property insurance premiums in the country.  Only Miami-Dade is higher.  Most insurers don't even offer coverage here.

My rates are already OUTRAGEOUS...$3800/yr for up to $240K in coverage.  And that doesn't even include flood insurance.  Due to the high expense, which would be substantially worse if I had even one claim, I purposely choose a high deductible.  I think it's $10K or $15K.  Because I wouldn't even think about putting in a claim, until my loss started reaching over $30K.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Today is fairly quiet. Got some phone calls and messages from recruiters, so we'll see where they go.

The weather is gray outside, but at the moment it doesn't seem to be raining. Yesterday it was really coming down hard.
  • Options
    I had a moment today I feel like knotties will appreciate. So, I went to the DMV because my license was about to expire. I'm in line and there's a lady behind me who looks to be about my age (27), is dressed super stylishly and rocking a huge rock. So, I guess she notices my e-ring and is like, "oh are you here changing your name?", I was like, "no not today" and kind of bitch about the inconvenience of having my license expire about a year before I do get married and change my name so I'm gonna have to make an extra trip to the DMV. She's like, "oh I'm in the same situation but we just got legally married yesterdayso I could change my name now and not have to worry about going to the DMV twice". I was FLOORED. I typically don't give an eff about "PPDs" (which is a phrase I hate by the way), but...come on...saving yourself a DMV trip, that's gotta be a new low
    explain that one to the guests.

• Options
    kahluakoalakahluakoala member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2018
    I had a moment today I feel like knotties will appreciate. So, I went to the DMV because my license was about to expire. I'm in line and there's a lady behind me who looks to be about my age (27), is dressed super stylishly and rocking a huge rock. So, I guess she notices my e-ring and is like, "oh are you here changing your name?", I was like, "no not today" and kind of bitch about the inconvenience of having my license expire about a year before I do get married and change my name so I'm gonna have to make an extra trip to the DMV. She's like, "oh I'm in the same situation but we just got legally married yesterdayso I could change my name now and not have to worry about going to the DMV twice". I was FLOORED. I typically don't give an eff about "PPDs" (which is a phrase I hate by the way), but...come on...saving yourself a DMV trip, that's gotta be a new low
    explain that one to the guests.

Ha, right! I was like, "well that's one way to deal with it I guess....". Like, yeah the DMV sucks but are you serious? I spent a total of 40 minutes there today, I made an appointment, my paperwork was organized, and now I'm good to go. I just can't imagine being like, "Yeah we've been married for a year because I didn't want to go to the DMV"
  • Options

I am floored and horrified with you.

And this is coming from a gal who is...just a few months shy of her 5-year anniversary...and still hasn't legally changed her name.  I plan to.  Someday.  But the enormous PITA involved has left me in procrastination mode.

The first obstacle, that really irritates me, is Orange County, CA never sent me the official marriage certificate.  I only have a copy.  It's a both an expense and a hassle to get one.  I don't want to go through all that only to, what?  Hope they send it?  Pfft, which they've already failed at.

So my plan is to go back there, in person, the next time I'm visiting my family, smh. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

And this is coming from a gal who is...just a few months shy of her 5-year anniversary...and still hasn't legally changed her name.  I plan to.  Someday.  But the enormous PITA involved has left me in procrastination mode.

The first obstacle, that really irritates me, is Orange County, CA never sent me the official marriage certificate.  I only have a copy.  It's a both an expense and a hassle to get one.  I don't want to go through all that only to, what?  Hope they send it?  Pfft, which they've already failed at.

So my plan is to go back there, in person, the next time I'm visiting my family, smh. 

just over a year here, and in the same boat.  I'm not sure if I even want to go through all the hassle?  At first it was because I was going to school and just wanted to finish that with my maiden name - but then I dropped out.  Now, it's laziness. 

• Options

Married 2 1/2 yrs - tbh I had to think about it for a second - and still rockin' the maiden name.
    Total PITA to change it, but I don't really know what I wanna do and personally I feel like if it's something I wanted to do, I would have already by now.
    Maybe eventually I will.

Where I am, you can legally change your last name without marriage. Idk the process, prob bigger PITA
  • Options

Married 2 1/2 yrs - tbh I had to think about it for a second - and still rockin' the maiden name.
    Total PITA to change it, but I don't really know what I wanna do and personally I feel like if it's something I wanted to do, I would have already by now.
    Maybe eventually I will.

Where I am, you can legally change your last name without marriage. Idk the process, prob bigger PITA

You can do that in (I think) all states also.  Actually, now you have me wondering if it would be easier to do it that way, lol.

I don't know, though.  That process would give me the freedom to choose almost whatever I wanted.  I'm not sure giving me that much creative free rein is a good thing, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Maybe eventually I will.

You can do that in (I think) all states also.  Actually, now you have me wondering if it would be easier to do it that way, lol.

I don't know, though.  That process would give me the freedom to choose almost whatever I wanted.  I'm not sure giving me that much creative free rein is a good thing, lol.

Princess Consuela Bananahammock?
    Regina Phalange!!