Wedding Woes

Thursday!

2»

Re: Thursday!

• @OliveOilsMom Sorry! I think you (or someone else?) has mentioned that before, and it's not out of ignoring it but I legit forget. Partly because I've never heard of it being used as derogatory term. I'll try to remember, but I'll apologize in advance if it happens again :\ 
  • Trash Panda Update:

M went home at lunch to see if he could talk to neighbours or company and see what could happen if she returns next year {she was an issue last year} and also see what needs to be done but he missed them.

In order to get her out before doing any fixing, they made a door. She can get out but shouldn't be able to get back in. Once they know she's out or have given a certain amount of time, they'll come back and reassess what to do. Hopefully if we catch them, we can see what can be done next year. I hope they just put metal around cuz she was determined to get in this year.
  • @OliveOilsMom Sorry! I think you (or someone else?) has mentioned that before, and it's not out of ignoring it but I legit forget. Partly because I've never heard of it being used as derogatory term. I'll try to remember, but I'll apologize in advance if it happens again :\ 

I had an experience like that.  (Sorry to pepper my story with a racial slur).  Back when I first started at my current job, the IT guy named one of the printers "Spook".

People were FREAKING OUT about it and there was lots of shocked whispering going on.

Apparently, "spook" is a derogatory name for a black person.  Except I'd never heard that before and couldn't for the life of me figure out why everyone was up in arms.  Here was the gist of a conversation I had with two coworkers...both of them born/bred in Louisiana and also about 20 years older than me:

P:  "Can you BELIEVE he named that printer Spook?!?  What was he thinking?"

G:  "Yeah, that guy!  They're going to make him change it."

Me, tentatively because I was obviously missing something:  "You know, everyone seems so upset, but I don't really understand why.  I feel like I'm missing something."

((Both P and G look at me shocked and horrified))

P:  "Do you know what the word spook means?!?"

Me:  "Ummm...it's another word for a ghost.  Is this like a religious thing?"

((P and G lighten up and laugh a little.))

P:  "No, it's a racial slur for a black person!  Have you not heard that before?"

Me:  "Oh wow!  No!  I have never in my life heard that term used that way.  Thanks!  Now, I understand."

(Printer name was changed later that same day)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

I had an experience like that.  (Sorry to pepper my story with a racial slur).  Back when I first started at my current job, the IT guy named one of the printers "Spook".

People were FREAKING OUT about it and there was lots of shocked whispering going on.

Apparently, "spook" is a derogatory name for a black person.  Except I'd never heard that before and couldn't for the life of me figure out why everyone was up in arms.  Here was the gist of a conversation I had with two coworkers...both of them born/bred in Louisiana and also about 20 years older than me:

P:  "Can you BELIEVE he named that printer Spook?!?  What was he thinking?"

G:  "Yeah, that guy!  They're going to make him change it."

Me, tentatively because I was obviously missing something:  "You know, everyone seems so upset, but I don't really understand why.  I feel like I'm missing something."

((Both P and G look at me shocked and horrified))

P:  "Do you know what the word spook means?!?"

Me:  "Ummm...it's another word for a ghost.  Is this like a religious thing?"

((P and G lighten up and laugh a little.))

P:  "No, it's a racial slur for a black person!  Have you not heard that before?"

Me:  "Oh wow!  No!  I have never in my life heard that term used that way.  Thanks!  Now, I understand."

(Printer name was changed later that same day)

I never heard of that either, I would have assumed ghost also!
    actually, I must live in a bubble because I've never heard of that either.....

• I've never heard it either.