Wedding Etiquette Forum

NWR: Mortgage Burning Party?

13»

Re: NWR: Mortgage Burning Party?

• Ok... haven't been here in a while but are pet birthday parties really a thing?!??  I mean,  I love my cat probably more than any person should but I still don't think I would ever throw a birthday party and invite people to it.  How would I keep a straight face?

So, my son and his GF have a little birthday party for their cat, mostly for the GF's little boy. They take a can of tuna, stick a candle in it and sing 'meow meow meow meow to you.....' and take pics. The cat gets a new toy. I think it's weird, but harmless, unless the cat's whiskers catch fire.

This is the part I find the most hilarious.  So cute!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Initially my thought on the "Mortgage Burning Party" was go for it! A party is always fun. But after some of the other responses, I can agree that it is AWish. It is essentially bragging about financial success when others around you may not be in the same position. I will definitely celebrate when our mortgage is paid off, but it will be something private between DH and I- a nice dinner, maybe even a trip. I would definitely mention it to my CLOSE friends if it came up in conversation (because that is stuff we would talk about), but wouldn't shout it from the roof top, or tell everyone I know.

As for the divorce party- I think inappropriate. A divorce is never something to celebrate, even if it is a relief, or good for the individuals. I think close friends going out for dinner and drinks is different than a party. That is friends being supportive.

As for pet parties- I've definitely seen them done! I think something simple done at home (such as a special "cake" or treat), even with a cute photo to share (yes, I enjoy seeing your dog with a birthday hat on!), is fun. But I have seen people who throw full on parties inviting their friends and their pets "friends", and I think that is a bit much. However, it isn't hurting anyone, so if "you" want to throw a party for your pet, have at 'er!
  • Ok... haven't been here in a while but are pet birthday parties really a thing?!??  I mean,  I love my cat probably more than any person should but I still don't think I would ever throw a birthday party and invite people to it.  How would I keep a straight face?

So, my son and his GF have a little birthday party for their cat, mostly for the GF's little boy. They take a can of tuna, stick a candle in it and sing 'meow meow meow meow to you.....' and take pics. The cat gets a new toy. I think it's weird, but harmless, unless the cat's whiskers catch fire.

This - to me- is totally normal.  Haha.  It would be inviting friends and family over to sing over a can of tuna that seems to cross a line in my mind.  

• @MandTFebruary62011 - it was a private party, but I did send a gift.

I had a coworker that invited dogs and their owners to her dogs 1st birthday party. The refreshments were beer and chips for the people and a fancy cake from the chichi dog bakery. No cake for the people, but she said anyone was welcome to have a piece of the dog cake. She didn't want to be rude. 

I had a coworker that invited dogs and their owners to her dogs 1st birthday party. The refreshments were beer and chips for the people and a fancy cake from the chichi dog bakery. No cake for the people, but she said anyone was welcome to have a piece of the dog cake. She didn't want to be rude. 
    My MIL and my parents get my cat gifts for hannukah. She gets more gifts than I do. My mom recently asked when her birthday is [because she knows it's coming up] so she can get her a gift. This cat is spoiled but she deserves it.
  • Lol and now I feel like a bad pet parent because we don't really know when Bob's birthday is and doesn't get birthday parties!  He does get Christmas presents though... and he has a boat... so I'm not the worst cat mom.  I hope he doesn't get wind of this - he's pretty fragile and I would hate to hurt his feelings

Bolded is the cutest. Also my mother does this for my cats. Since we approximate Penny's, she'll pass along a gift earlier in the month. Angel is Hallowe'en kitty, so he'll get Hallowe'en snacks
  • Lol and now I feel like a bad pet parent because we don't really know when Bob's birthday is and doesn't get birthday parties!  He does get Christmas presents though... and he has a boat... so I'm not the worst cat mom.  I hope he doesn't get wind of this - he's pretty fragile and I would hate to hurt his feelings
    Do you know the month? We don't know exact date, but we know {between vet & FIL} that Penny is a mid-August kitty. We've kinda given her August 10th.
    Do you know the month? We don't know exact date, but we know {between vet & FIL} that Penny is a mid-August kitty. We've kinda given her August 10th.
    He was feral and its anywhere from March to May - the vet kept changing it.  Guess who is getting a birthday this year!
    He was feral and its anywhere from March to May - the vet kept changing it.  Guess who is getting a birthday this year!
    I have friends who celebrate the day their pet joined the family if they don't know the birthdate too :) 
  • WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2018
    We'll celebrate the day we adopted Yoda.  Incidentally, it happened to be May the 4th, since we were on vacation the week before and couldn't get him earlier.  It fits him very well though  :D He might get a new bone and some extra treats

ETA - We will not be inviting people

Yay for birthday :)

I didn't know it would harder to figure out male cat bday. Penny was feral also but apparently with inner-lady-parts they could figure it out

All this pet bday stuff, I feel we should have a board somewhere lol
    Yay for birthday :)

I didn't know it would harder to figure out male cat bday. Penny was feral also but apparently with inner-lady-parts they could figure it out

All this pet bday stuff, I feel we should have a board somewhere lol
    Probably!  It's the first thing I commented on since in like a year!  lol.  
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2021
    Dead thread
  • Have you tried reaching out to the Tableau community for some advice, or consider reaching out to a local finance expert or a mortgage pro for guidance?
  • Can't wait to pay off my mortgage and celebrate it!! Sorry for bumping the thread, guys, but I have 2 years left, and my mortgage will be OVER!!! People in Wirral, come and celebrate with on June 25th, 2025.