Wedding Woes

Monday, Monday

Happy Monday everyone, how was the weekend? Ours was really good. My goddaughter's birthday was Saturday and it was really fun. We hung out with my sister and her H afterward for a while and it was nice to just spend some time together. Their new house is beautiful and it really makes us want to find ours soon. 

We saw one this weekend that would be awesome, but it would be a huge project to get it there. It sits on almost 5 acres in a great area (where H grew up), but it's currently a two-family house and we would need to convert it to a single family. We have no idea how much work (really, money), but H's Dad is going out to look at it with H on Thursday to see if it's even possible. @short+sassy any thoughts? We don't want to get too excited, but really it's the only thing we've wanted to go back to. 

Re: Monday, Monday

• Weekend was good. Had lunch with my mom and sister on Saturday for my mom's 60th birthday. After that, I met H at our favorite brewery to sample the new release of their double IPA - it was delicious!

Sunday was a chill day. I ran 7 miles on the treadmill and dear god the weather needs to warm up because I cannot keep doing long runs inside. After that I did a little laundry and binged the SVU marathon. H was the best and went grocery shopping for me and made dinner. 

Today will be a long day at work. I'm working through RFI responses for a client and it's tedious work. Counting the hours until Thursday. H and I are off to Buffalo that day for a tattoo appointment AND it's opening day of baseball!
  • Weekend was good. Had lunch with my mom and sister on Saturday for my mom's 60th birthday. After that, I met H at our favorite brewery to sample the new release of their double IPA - it was delicious!

Sunday was a chill day. I ran 7 miles on the treadmill and dear god the weather needs to warm up because I cannot keep doing long runs inside. After that I did a little laundry and binged the SVU marathon. H was the best and went grocery shopping for me and made dinner. 

Today will be a long day at work. I'm working through RFI responses for a client and it's tedious work. Counting the hours until Thursday. H and I are off to Buffalo that day for a tattoo appointment AND it's opening day of baseball!
    I did the same thing yesterday after my long run on Saturday. I finally got outside because even though it was freezing, it was sunny. 

Yay for coming to Buffalo, who is doing your tattoo? H and I have both had great work done out here. 
  • @charlotte989875 we go to Don at Nickel City Tattoo. My in-laws have been going to him for over two decades and got H and I going there as well. It's a pain to make an appointment but he does fantastic work. 

@levioosa Congratulations on the engagement!

• Yay Levioosa congrats!!!!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I had a good weekend. H's tattoo artist had to cancel so he's going to give H 2 free hours and come in on a Sunday when they're normally closed. So that'll be nice that they'll be the only ones there.

Went to a party at our friend's on Saturday. It was alright. Yesterday we cleaned, picked up groceries, I got my nails did (and found my new "home" nail place), made dinner and went to bed early.

This walmart grocery pick up thing is going to save our grocery budget. I LOVE it.

Charlotte I hope you can work it out with the house! Sending good thoughts!

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I'm ready for the Bradford pears to stop blooming or just all burn in a fire, whichever.  My allergies have been terrible since last Thursday.  

Didn't do much this weekend.  K had their home opener for roller derby on Saturday.  It was a good game, but their team lost.  I've never seen us run so many penalties in a row.  K did get MVP though, so was happy.  Dinner w/K's family on Sunday b/c it was K's little brother's bday.  Nothing much else.
  • @charlotte989875, I'm glad you had a good weekend!  It's so nice your sister and her family found a great house.  Hopefully you all are next in line ;).  In my real estate wanderings, I've seen a few houses that had previously been doubles and then turned into SFHs.  That I was then thinking about turning back, into a double, lol.  I never "bit" on one, so I don't have any personal experience either way, but have a good general idea of factors that are usually involved.   One of our former neighbors bought a double and turned it into a SFH.  They didn't have any prior renovation/real estate experience, but it turned out beautifully.  No idea what their cost was, though.

As a rough guess, it is actually probably less work than you all think it is.  A bit depending on what you all want to do.  Here's a list with typical items involved in turning a double into a SFH, I included some rough costs where I know them to hire it out, but my DH and I DIY most things, so take with a major grain of salt, lol:

• Removing walls -- nbd, as long as they aren't load-bearing.  A few hundred dollars each wall (includes dry wall repair).  If you all want to remove a load-bearing wall, it's often possible, but will be at least $10K (probably more).
    • Flooring and wall color -- In each place where the two sides will be "meeting", you'll probably need to redo all the flooring and repaint the walls in order to achieve a "cohesive" and matching look.  The cost depends a lot on the flooring chosen and size of the area, but expect $2-$3/sq. ft. for professional installation.  I'd do the repainting yourselves.  That's one area that is easy for almost anyone to DIY, but fairly expensive to hire out.  To hire out, with no/little wall repair needed, $500-$1,000/room (depending on size and number of rooms).
    • Removing one kitchen -- Taking out the cabinetry and appliances (if applicable) is pretty easy.  A one-day job and probably requires a dumpster.  I'm guessing $1,000 to hire it out, including the dumpster cost.  To do it yourselves, the cost of a dumpster is around $200-$300.  If you all sell or give away any appliances and the kitchen is small, you might be able to get away with just using normal trash service over multiple days.  I've done one kitchen reno where we took out all the previous cabinetry and replaced with new.  We were able to get away with normal trash service and no dumpster.
    • Removing one kitchen (more) -- You'll probably need to repaint and put in new flooring.  I'm sure the wall area behind the cabinets is a different color than the rest of the kitchen, lol.  For the kitchen plumbing, (I think) that is usually addressed by capping off the pipes, but leaving the rough-ins in place.  The rough-ins can be dry-walled over.  A few hundred dollars for a plumber to do that (the pipe capping, not the drywall).

If the listing has a good amount of pics, feel free to PM me a link to it and a description of what you all are thinking about.  It's probably hard to tell without walking through it, but I don't mind taking a look and seeing if inspiration strikes, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you so much @short+sassy, I'm going to PM you the link. 
  • levioosa said:
    I hope the house works out for you! It sounds like it has a lot of potential! 

This weekend was 50% great and 50% shitty. Work yesterday sucked and I had to deal with false allegations which sent me scrambling to contact everyone under the sun, taking pictures, documenting, etc. It started off so peaceful. I should have known that was a sign it was all about to deteriorate. 

But Friday we went out and had a delicious meal at the nice restaurant nearby. Saturday we had a massage, some drinks, and then we got officially engaged. =) 

Whoa!  Congrats!!!  I'd love to hear the proposal story, if you don't mind sharing :).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2018
    Congrats @levioosa!!

Weekend...Friday sucked. The rest of the weekend was wonderful though. DefConn and I got outside on Saturday and played in the snow.  We rented all the movies (new Wimpy Kid, Ferdinand, Baby Driver, Girl's Trip).  I got most of my laundry done and put up.  Oh and I got afternoon bcbc yesterday and miracle of miracles, we were not interrupted. :D 

I am off this week, wahoo!  I was up at my normal time this morning, but DH and I got to have an uninterrupted conversation so it was worth it.  I just did major email clean out on one of my personal accounts.  I feel so accomplished, LOL. 

I have a slightly sore throat and am a little congested.  I hope it doesn't turn into something worse.  
  • @charlotte989875 house vibes!

@cupcait927 whoo tattoo & trip! :) Can you show us once the tatts are done?

@levioosa congrats!! :D

Relatively productive weekend while still low-key.

I have no idea what we did Friday .... I think nothing.

Saturday - originally planned on cleaning floors, but M was planning on going to range on Sunday, so didn't wanna do that and then just have him track mud in. He had to stop at Cabella's for something, and told him I wanted a beavertail {elephant ears for reference}
    We parked in the 'expectant mothers' spot just because lol It wasn't that busy anyways, but M knew I really just wasn't feeling great. {tiredness has returned}
    Took a nap when we got home, woke up with back pain so I took a bath and that helped.

Sunday - I was up stupid levels of early, so while M was getting ready to go to the range, I went back to bed for a bit.
    He went. I moved stuff off the tiles, vacuumed what I could and waited for him to return to move the front door shelves and bench so I could vacuum and mop.
    Disgusting floors. Blegh. Legit one of those times where you wonder why haven't I done this before or even sooner!

Ah well ... it's done.

My uncle is coming next Saturday to help M move stuff and then he's kicking us out so he can paint. We're debating on either a movie or museum.

This week is pretty busy.
    Tonight is laundry - typical
    Tuesday - OB appt and dinner with my mum {yay!}
    Wednesday - dinner with friends
    Thursday - groceries and I think M is going to his buddy's place for poker
    Friday - Easter dinner. Idk who with, might be just M, my mum and I - and her bf if he doesn't have plans - or with other family. My mum and her mum are kinda arguing, but I get why my mum's pissed/annoyed.
  • @charlotte989875 we go to Don at Nickel City Tattoo. My in-laws have been going to him for over two decades and got H and I going there as well. It's a pain to make an appointment but he does fantastic work. 

They're great over there. One of my good friends has had their work done by Don and he's fantastic. Are you planning on eating/hanging out in Buffalo?

They're great over there. One of my good friends has had their work done by Don and he's fantastic. Are you planning on eating/hanging out in Buffalo?
    Probably not, unfortunately. Our appointments start at 2 and I have to do some work from home in the morning. Don also likes to work on his own time, so most likely we won't get out of there until 7 and then have to drive an hour and a half home. 
  • Over the weekend, I caught up on much needed sleep and had some quality DVR catch-up, lol.  Saturday was a busy afternoon.  We visited our rental unit that had the 24-item laundry list (ugh) from Section 8 on things to fix.  Umm, half of which have been just like that since I bought the property three years ago but, whatever.  We assessed, made a list, visited Home Depot, dropped supplies back off...and then my H is going there today to start on things.  We also visited another duplex we have that is nearby.  One of those tenants had a 2-item laundry list from S8, so we added that to the list.

While we were there, our other tenant at that property popped out to say hi.  They hadn't mentioned it yet, but apparently had a window break in a storm.  Great timing!  H will be out there anyway over the next week or two for the other unit, so we can take care of their window at the same time.  I was so glad we got to see her and that she at least seemed in good spirits.  They are great tenants and really nice people.  She'd been having a rough pregnancy that needed hospitalization, even in the 1st trimester, and then she miscarried at about 4 months.   

This week will be awesome!  At my work, Good Friday is a holiday.  And, since Fridays are normally my half day, my half day moves to Thursday.  So, I'm only working 3 1/2 days this week.  I am very excited about that, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

Congrats @levioosa!

The weekend- Saturday we had two VERY cold soccer games.  We lost 8-0 and 8-1.  I wasn't shocked.  It was the first game ever in a 9v9 format.  The field was bigger and was actually on the football field so the lines were really confusing.  Oh, and the teams we were playing are a year older (and several inches taller).

Saturday night- DH and 6let went to the Crew game.  Max puked everywhere.  EVERYWHERE

Sunday- 9 am soccer game in 29 degree frost.  Another loss, but only 4-3.  Only DH and 6let went.  While we were home Max made the toilet overflow.

Sunday afternoon M2 had gymnastics tryouts.  There were LITTLE girls crying because they didn't think they did well.  I'm talking 4/5 year olds crying.

It's the first day of spring break.  When I made M2's well visit for 8 am, I didn't realize it was Spring Break.  We got up early and headed in.  While waiting Max had to go to the bathroom.  While he was washing his hands he puked all over himself and the bathroom.  I bagged up his shoes and clothes and did the walk of shame.  There was secret joy I didn't have to clean up the bathroom.

M2 is off for a birthday funday with my parents.  It's the only day it's supposed to be nice and we're stuck at home.  6let is pissed.  All of his neighborhood friends are gone and we can't even go to a playground.

• @levioosa congrats!!! Share your proposal story!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Leviosa - Congrats!  I saw how you slipped that little tid bit of information in at the end!

Charlotte - Is it an upstairs/downstairs duplex or side by side duplex?  I would think an upstairs/downstairs duplex would be easier to convert back.  You would just need to reopen up the stairwell and remove the upstairs kitchen.  I hope it works out for you!

Friday, I went to a new yoga place.  Class was tough!  There was only 2 of us and the teacher was just yelling stuff out!  She called something out and I just looked up and said "What?"  I had no idea what she was trying to get us to do.  It was also 82 in the room, which is hot for me.  That wasn't even the "hot" yoga room!  But I felt great over the weekend, even if my muscles were a little sore.  So I'm going to try again on Friday.

Saturday, we went to the Amish mart in the morning and DD discovered the amazingness of Amish pretzels!  We also got a few things for Easter weekend dinners and breakfasts.  Then it was a Target run.  Late afternoon was my BFF's oldest son's birthday.  He is 9!  Where did the years go!

Sunday was church, pictures with the Easter Bunny (DD was not a fan!) and finally dinner out.  It was delicious.  Our appetizer was beer cheese fondue.  I could have ate that all night!

Also H said that I could pick out a new purse for my birthday/Mother's Day gift.  I've been using the same Coach for 5-6 years, so its time for a new one!  I need to start looking for something fun with $200 being my top budget.  H thinks its too much for a purse, but when I mentioned its for 5-6 years of use - it evens out! He agreed!  There is a reason I married this man!  LOL!

• let see if I can post today....was having problems last week!

Congrats on the proposal @levioosa.  Just awesome!
    @charlotte989875, hope it all works out!

• It's an upstairs/downstairs, sort of @OliveOilsMom. Unit 1 is small and the front half of the downstairs. Unit 2 is the back half of the downstairs and the entire upstairs, with the kitchen on the second floor. Sorry if that's confusing, it's sort of an odd layout. What we think happened is they didn't really change the layout of the house much, they just added a wall between the existing kitchen and the back half of the house. It's an old farm house. Fingers crossed this can work out!
  • Congrats @levioosa!

Weekend was pretty low key. Did a lot of cleaning getting ready for company for Easter weekend and DD's baby shower. Backsplash is hopefully getting done this week so kitchen, dining room, living room cleaning is held off until Friday. That is cutting it close and is driving me crazy. 

Yesterday I scored some great baby clothes deals from garage sale sites on FB. DD said I need to slow my roll but those little boys will go through lots of onesies and sleepers those first few months. I don't think she quite understands the amount of laundry babies can produce! I was amazed at the deals I got. Yay for Nana!!!

Today I need to do some work for a fund raiser for the organization for which I volunteer. I also need to start clearing off countertops. 

• @levioosa, Jack does look surprised and unsure, lol.  That ring is gorgeous! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • aww I  <3 Jack and I  <3 the ring!

my weeekend was low key but really good.  Went and saw "I can only imagine" and really enjoyed it.  Saw "tomb raider" and loved it!  Also had dinner and lunch with some friends which was nice.

• congrats @levioosa !  Beautiful

@mrsconn23 you guys got a ton of snow, right? We only ended up with about 3" thankfully

• @levioosa Jack "I .... I am so shocked and unsure!"
    Beautiful ring though :) 
  • banana468 said:
    Weekend was OK.   We were low-key on Saturday just trying to catch up on cleaning.   Saturday night we watched a movie with Chiquita.

Then Saturday night DH was up feeling ill and still feeling terrible on Sunday morning so I took the kids to church with me solo.   For those of you not familiar with Palm Sunday mass, that's one of the longest Sunday masses out there.  I think it took 35 minutes just to get through the readings and most Sundays we're through the homily by that point.   Chiquito was in his true 3 yo form and by the end was asking if we could go home.   Poor kid - it's not easy to make it through an over hour service and your only "souvenir" is the blessed palm.

Oh, and PSA - don't drink expired Bailey's. 

It's a travesty that Bailey's does expire!  There should be a large warning label, ie "Please imbibe no later than XX/XX, so you don't miss out on any of this delicious goodness".

It turns into clumps.  Like bad milk, though it at least doesn't have the horrific smell.  Still, it's not pretty.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    Weekend was OK.   We were low-key on Saturday just trying to catch up on cleaning.   Saturday night we watched a movie with Chiquita.

Then Saturday night DH was up feeling ill and still feeling terrible on Sunday morning so I took the kids to church with me solo.   For those of you not familiar with Palm Sunday mass, that's one of the longest Sunday masses out there.  I think it took 35 minutes just to get through the readings and most Sundays we're through the homily by that point.   Chiquito was in his true 3 yo form and by the end was asking if we could go home.   Poor kid - it's not easy to make it through an over hour service and your only "souvenir" is the blessed palm.

Oh, and PSA - don't drink expired Bailey's. 
    Ours wasn't expired but I knew it would be before the time I got to drink it :(
    Sad day when you watch it go down the drain.