Wedding Woes

While LW has valid complaints, their letter annoys me.

Dear Prudence, 

My roommate is driving me insane. He is a slob who leaves dirty clothes and dishes everywhere. He is also always bumming money off of me. I don’t work frequently because of my health, and when I am sick he still expects me to be his maid! Every time I ask him to do the smallest task, he drags his feet and whines about not having the time to do it. When I tell him I’m tired of seeing him leave a mess everywhere, he responds by saying I’m not his mother! I am so close to telling him, “No, I’m not your mother, but I damn sure feel like I am!”

Here’s the kicker: He’s my older brother. We both still live at home with our parents. I do so out of necessity; he does so because he’s a mooch who wants to be a kid forever. He thinks giving our parents 50 bucks a week exempts him from chores. Meanwhile, our parents, who work long hours, still find the time to clean and do laundry at night and on weekends while he gallivants off to spend all his money and have a good time. My parents are enabling him to never move out, get married, or get a real job. I am sick of feeling like I am mothering my nearly 30-year-old brother and then being told off as though it’s my fault he doesn’t clean up after himself. My blood pressure cannot take this much longer. Please help me deal with my jerk of a brother!

—Adult Toddler

Re: While LW has valid complaints, their letter annoys me.

• This LW made me roll my eyes so hard. 

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2018

If the dirty clothes and dishes are bothering the LW, I'd just spend a few minutes per day gathering all of it up...including the dishes...and throwing it in a pile in his room.  I suspect that will correct his behavior more quickly and, if not, at least it is no longer in my sight.

As for the mooching money, that's even easier.  Said with a major side-eye, "GTFO, you have a job.  I don't care about your sob story.  Spend your next paycheck more wisely."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was agreeing with the issue LW was saying until they mentioned older brother and both still living at home ....

*hard eye roll at LW*
  • I was agreeing with the issue LW was saying until they mentioned older brother and both still living at home ....

*hard eye roll at LW*

I was initially thinking, "And?  When is your lease up?  Find another place and move on."

Oh, but never mind.  "Free" is a great living expense to pay, even when it comes with a slobby brother.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

*hard eye roll at LW*

I was initially thinking, "And?  When is your lease up?  Find another place and move on."

Oh, but never mind.  "Free" is a great living expense to pay, even when it comes with a slobby brother.

Right? I mean even if the lease was up soon, it'd be one of those "how could LW make due with messy roomie until lease is up?"
  • Honestly, I just feel bad for the parents here. Kick them both out. 
    THIS!!!!  
  • This is not her roommate. She is not in a shared flat situation. She is living as a guest in another's home. 

If you were a guest in someone else's home, would you take it upon yourself to correct another guest's behaviour? No. You would recognise that this is not your place and if you don't like the situation you can leave. 

This is SO much more than just being untidy. This seems like a lifetime of resentment towards her brother and how her family treats him. They both seem entitled.