Wedding Woes

Is this the flipside of that naming letter from last week?

2»

Re: Is this the flipside of that naming letter from last week?

• Now you all know why I call him Buddy when I see him. I literally couldn't bring myself to say his name her whole pregnancy. He was three months old before I could say it. 

• @MissKittyDanger - My parents picked names for my eldest brother and I that couldn't be shortened...people shortened them...

ETA: what the hell Knot, I just tried to post 3x and it disappeared. 

Me too. Adrienne got shortened to Ade and then, of course, the AIDS jokes happened all through school.

There's always going to be a way to make fun of every name. Kids are creative (I was shocked when I first met H in high school and I was the first one to add "ass" to his last name that somewhat kind of a little bit sounds like "smells like").

But I also agree that if I were going to be a parent I'd do the same thing as you, Trixie, and see if I could figure out what the jokes would be and pick a name that minimizes them.

Kids are dicks.

Tbh I've had more issues with older people because they can't comprehend my legal name is technically a shortened name.

Anyone got an idea how to make fun of BabyKitten?
    Name gonna be Michelle.
    Nicknames - I'll prob use Mickey, but there's Elle, Mick, Mickey Mouse {which isn't bad *shrug*}
    Am I missing something else?

Mi-shmell. Shelly with a big fat belly.
    Michelle from hell, Smelly Michelle-y.....

IDK. I mean are you really going to change the name at this point? You easily could, but at some point, who cares? If kids aren't making fun names, they'll be making fun of faces, backpacks, pencils....seriously they'll find anything. 
    Nah not changing, more of a 'heads up' kinda deal so we're not blindsided with names
  • I know there's more obvious source material you think of with the name, but literally every time I hear it, all I can think of is THIS.

• @levioosa Alone, I think the names would be okay .... First name is the worst though.
    Middle name isn't horrible - makes me think of Degrassi, one character had that as middle name - but to me it sounds more of like a pet name.

While looking at boy names, I came across Atticus. I like it, but as a dog name.
  • I didn't get too much with my name (Jenny).  People would rhyme it with Penny, but not really a big deal.  Though my last name "sort of" sounds like Tortoise, so I got that.  Also not really a big deal.

If it hadn't been for Tommy TuTone (hard side-eye), I might have almost been scot-free.  But then, in 1981, his song "Jenny 867-5309" hit #4 on Billboard's Top 100.  And all was lost, lol.  I was in 4th or 5th grade and must have had that refrain sung to me 1,000 times over the course of a few months and then occasionally throughout the rest of my life.

It was only when I was substantially older that I came to realize the song is basically about some drunk guy (probably) taking a whiz in a bar bathroom and sees the graffiti "For a good time call Jenny 867-5309," on the wall.

Awesome.  Jennys everywhere besmirched.

FTFY ;)
    {note: I double checked because I thought I was remembering it wrong}

I have a song too, but it's really old and I really only heard it from my nana lol

Chorus
    "K-K-K-Katy, beautiful Katy
    You're the only g-g-g-girl that I adore
    When the m-m-m-moon shines over the cow shed
    I'll be waiting at the k-k-k-kitchen door"
  • Leviosa - Are your friends sci-fi nerds?  I can't see your youtube link, but the name makes me think of the villain from The Dark Knight.

OR if you think about Star Trek, it was Captain James T Kirk.  The T, I will let you imagine what it means.  But the two first names rhyme, so are they Trekkies????

Otherwise - WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO ANYONE, LET ALONE A SMALL CHILD!!!!!

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2018
    All I keep thinking of with that name is “Edited" (not writing in case you delete)
  • kvruns said:
    All I keep thinking of with that name is "you are the ______ of my existence" (not writing in case you delete)
    I was thinking bad guy in Batman ....
  • I can't remember the reasoning for the first name, but the second was named after a brutal Roman emperor. They let her dad pick the middle name and that was what he wanted because he felt it was manly and showed power. *eyeroll*

• levioosa said:
    I can't remember the reasoning for the first name, but the second was named after a brutal Roman emperor. They let her dad pick the middle name and that was what he wanted because he felt it was manly and showed power. *eyeroll*
    Oy. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    OH NO I MISSED IT :(
    I did too  :s

Ditto PP kids will find ways to be cruel.  Over the years I’ve been Mean Eileen, Eileen the fart machine (??), obscene eileen, Eileen the drug fiend, etc.  Older DD is almost 4 and last week one of her classmates told her she has a mustache. (Which she kind of does- hey she’s Latina and Italian  :p  I tried to play it off like it was a special thing? She didn’t seem upset.)

• I also missed it. I think I've guessed the first name from a clue in a previous post (if that's the case, what a YIKES of a name!!!) but I'm dying to know the second name!!!
  • I missed it too! Damn it!

• I didn't get too much with my name (Jenny).  People would rhyme it with Penny, but not really a big deal.  Though my last name "sort of" sounds like Tortoise, so I got that.  Also not really a big deal.

If it hadn't been for Tommy TuTone (hard side-eye), I might have almost been scot-free.  But then, in 1981, his song "Jenny 867-5309" hit #4 on Billboard's Top 100.  And all was lost, lol.  I was in 4th or 5th grade and must have had that refrain sung to me 1,000 times over the course of a few months and then occasionally throughout the rest of my life.

It was only when I was substantially older that I came to realize the song is basically about some drunk guy (probably) taking a whiz in a bar bathroom and sees the graffiti "For a good time call Jenny 867-5309," on the wall.

Awesome.  Jennys everywhere besmirched.

FTFY ;)

I have a song too, but it's really old and I really only heard it from my nana lol

Chorus
    As a Jessie, I hate Rick Springfield with the fire of a thousand suns. Jessie's Girl was the only song on the "do not play list" at our wedding.
  • I missed what @levioosa said the names were but I’m assuming the first name is “you are the ____ of my existence” - My coworker named his son whose like 2.5 that. Huge eye roll. Normal middle name though. Their second kid they named Duke. Like. Wut. 

What did did the second name rhyme with????
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2018
    Testing. 

ETA: Hmm, odd. I just posted in the confessions thread, and it didn't post, but a thing popped up saying it would be posted once it was "approved." But it didn't do it with this post. I've never had that happen before. I don't think it was anything that controversial or with flagged words. 
  • I know someone tangentially that named their baby "Nemesis"....

I think they thought they were doing a erudite and esoteric ancient Greek name that Posh people like (Juno, Jocasta, Xanthe, Septimus, Xanthippe etc), but they didn't know what it meant.

I just think of that rubbish Star Trek movie.

I love a wacky name, but this name is a burden.  

I think they thought they were doing a erudite and esoteric ancient Greek name that Posh people like (Juno, Jocasta, Xanthe, Septimus, Xanthippe etc), but they didn't know what it meant.

Ummm...do they know what that means? Sometimes I have to wonder that in their quest to find an unusual name, people blindly find a word or name without looking at its meaning. 

FTR, I have a cousin named Xanthe, she’s almost 40 now and fully suits her name. 
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2018
    I know someone tangentially that named their baby "Nemesis"....

Ummm...do they know what that means? Sometimes I have to wonder that in their quest to find an unusual name, people blindly find a word or name without looking at its meaning. 

FTR, I have a cousin named Xanthe, she’s almost 40 now and fully suits her name. 
    Exactly. I think they heard it, but were thinking "no one will think that" when in fact, everyone will think that. A friend once told me how she had to talk a cousin out of naming their daughter Ava Brown. The couple kept saying "no one will think of Hilter's mistress", when in fact, everyone (at least here in the UK) would think that they were neo-nazis. 

To be fair,  I LOVE a lot of those ancient names (Xanthe, Ariadne, Juno etc), but firstly, those are established (although rare) names and they mean wonderful things. 

Exactly. I think they heard it, but were thinking "no one will think that" when in fact, everyone will think that. A friend once told me how she had to talk a cousin out of naming their daughter Ava Brown. The couple kept saying "no one will think of Hilter's mistress", when in fact, everyone (at least here in the UK) would think that they were neo-nazis. 

To
    be fair,  I LOVE a lot of those ancient names (Xanthe, Ariadne, Juno etc), but firstly, those are established (although rare) names and they mean wonderful things. 
    Interesting. I read that and was thinking "what's wrong with that name?" and then read further and saw it was Hitler's mistress. That never would have occurred to me. I don't remember ever learning about her in my history classes. 
  • FTFY ;)

Chorus
    I've heard the song you are referring to.  I always thought it was so odd because of all the stuttering in it.  I think it was from the '50s (might have been later), though.  My all-time least favorite decade for music, lol.  A lot of horrendous songs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FTFY ;)

Chorus
    I've heard the song you are referring to.  I always thought it was so odd because of all the stuttering in it.  I think it was from the '50s (might have been later), though.  My all-time least favorite decade for music, lol.  A lot of horrendous songs.
    1918 actually - I looked it up recently lol
  • FTFY ;)

Chorus

Oh really!  Wow.  I can't help but think a remake was done, at some point, because I've heard the song recorded.  It was a more typical, modern day recording.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FTFY ;)

Chorus

Oh really!  Wow.  I can't help but think a remake was done, at some point, because I've heard the song recorded.  It was a more typical, modern day recording.
    Oh maybe! I probably found the 'original' .... now I wanna know if there was a remake :')