Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Vows - thoughts please?

Hello all,

It's my first post here, my wedding is next weekend and my fiance and I are writing our own vows. I think I like how it sounds, but I wanted to get some opinions (timing, grammar, etc.)

Please and thank you!

For as long as we’ve been together, I’ve known you were the only one. I mean it. Everything about you is why I fell in love with you: you put your everything into what you care about, you know what people need before they know they need it, and you are both the toughest and kindest person I know. Today is the day that I wish to make a lasting promise to you. I promise to be your partner, your advisor, your lover, your comforter, your best friend, and your wife. I promise to trust, to be understanding, to have patience, to have some tolerance, and to have flexibility to change and grow as an individual and as a couple with you. And I, <my name goes here>, will no longer cry. No matter how hard things get, I vow to hang in there and never give up. But, even if I don’t cry when I’m sad, I might do it when I’m happy. That’s just the kind of person I am. From now on, I’ll do my best to support you. I will to stay with you, no matter what happens, forever and ever.

*Parts of this are quoted from one of our favorite shows

Re: Vows - thoughts please?

• I’d scratch “some” before tolerance. And get rid of the whole crying part it makes no sense. And the last line is missing words and I just don’t like it. 
  • I agree with @STARMOON44; take out "some". Also, are you really vowing to never cry in your whole, entire married life together? That just seems, unrealistic. Other than that I think it's good. I'd the last line because I think you meant either "I will stay with you" or "I vow to stay with you". 
  • Hello all,

It's my first post here, my wedding is next weekend and my fiance and I are writing our own vows. I think I like how it sounds, but I wanted to get some opinions (timing, grammar, etc.)

Please and thank you!

For as long as we’ve been together, I’ve known you were the only one. I mean it. Everything about you is why I fell in love with you: you put your everything into what you care about, you know what people need before they know they need it, and you are both the toughest and kindest person I know. Today is the day that I wish to make a lasting promise to you. I promise to be your partner, your advisor, your lover, your comforter, your best friend, and your wife. I promise to trust, to be understanding, to have patience, to have some tolerance, and to have flexibility to change and grow as an individual and as a couple with you. And I, <my name goes here>, will no longer cry. No matter how hard things get, I vow to hang in there and never give up. But, even if I don’t cry when I’m sad, I might do it when I’m happy. That’s just the kind of person I am. From now on, I’ll do my best to support you. I will to stay with you, no matter what happens, forever and ever.

*Parts of this are quoted from one of our favorite shows
    I'd start with "Today is the day..." and leave out the word "some" and the promise never to cry because it's not a promise I think you can realistically keep.

Beyond that, it's very pretty.
  • I agree with PPs, unless the crying line is an inside joke between the two of you, I'd leave it out. And even if it is, maybe use that as part of a message you write to your FI in a card on your wedding day or something? It kind of seems like one of those cutesy movie or celebrity vows, like when Jennifer Aniston vowed to always make Brad Pitt his favorite milkshake or whatever.
  • The crying line is actually the part that's a quote from one of our favorite shows! I get that it sounds a little weird, but I wanted to include it. I personally actually do cry at literally anything. He laughs when I cry at cute animal videos! Does it sound waaay too weird to include? And will be taking that "some" out!
  • In addition to what the other PPs have said, I would also take out the line toward the beginning of "I mean it."  I think it sounds like a qualifier that lessens the meaning of the previous sentence.  Like something that would be said if you're trying to convince someone that what you're saying is hard to believe. 

But, if you like it, I don't think it is that big of a deal either.

I also like @MRDCle's suggestion of slightly changing that quote so that you aren't literally promising to never cry out of sadness again.  Because it is both odd and super unlikely.

Now that I've nitpicked a couple things, lol.  Overall, I think your vows are really lovely!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sorry, but I still say to take out the line about crying. If it's in your nature to cry about things, saying you won't in your wedding vows isn't going to change that. I'm also not a big fan of including inside jokes in vows, but that might also just be me.
  • Sorry, but I still say to take out the line about crying. If it's in your nature to cry about things, saying you won't in your wedding vows isn't going to change that. I'm also not a big fan of including inside jokes in vows, but that might also just be me.
    It's also me. The time for inside jokes is when the couple is alone together, not in a public setting where people won't get them.