Future SIL

13»

Re: Future SIL

• LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2018
    banana468 said:
    Without any snark to the OP, I honestly think she should

1) Know that her ILs won't change their approach with SIL.   She can talk to her FI about her comfort level but I do recommend some level of counseling if the OP is going to feel like the SIL is allowed to insert herself.  This is going to be a major conflict resolution.

2) Regarding the cake, I recommend either buying their own to cut or getting a cake with multiple tiers and flavors that please everyone.

3) Finally, regardless of the OP's take on this please don't treat guests differently.   They see it and notice and they talk.   It may not be the biggest deal but it it's an entirely preventable situation.  

I get that when you're stressed sometimes you feel like stomping and picking that ONE battle.   But in the grand scheme of things, it's far better to come up with solutions than sticking points. 

Also, ditto that @LondonLisa needs to write my biography.   Just like our president she has THE BEST words. 
    SITB——————

I am a very stable genius. It’s Obama’s fault she wouldn’t take my advice. Now she has a BAD CAKE DEAL. Sad. 
  • None of it’s real. I’ve been married for a little over five years (not that that makes me an expert on weddings).  I’m working on my dissertation and this could be part of it. 
  • edited May 2018
    In your "dissertation" please note that zero people shared your opinion and everyone disagreed with you. But they're the wrong ones. Sure.

• banana468 said:

Also, I am cautioning you about her mental health status.   In one sentence you're rolling your eyes at your FSIL's bipolar diagnosis and in another one you want everyone to understand that decades ago chocolate made you sick so now you simply cannot eat the chocolate cake.  

I get it.   Weddings are stressful.  But I think you're picking the wrong battles and you're not making yourself endearing to your in laws or your FH in the process.  
    Thank you for saying this, banana. I couldn't get past OP's concern about the family catering to the sister with a mental health diagnosis, when OP describes her own aversion to chocolate cake that is so severe that it's blinded her to some common sense solutions - do a half and half cake or decline the parent's money and pay for whatever flavor she likes. Why make it a test for the parents and the sister and the groom? It's a cake, it's not that hard.

• justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Seriously as someone who also does research, there is so much wrong with this "data" collection that it's laughable. 
  • None of it’s real. I’ve been married for a little over five years (not that that makes me an expert on weddings).  I’m working on my dissertation and this could be part of it. 
    This is hilarious! Please tell me exactly which Ph.D program you're in, and which institution. I'd love to know. 
    This is hilarious! Please tell me exactly which Ph.D program you're in, and which institution. I'd love to know. 
    We used to joke about PhD programs as "Piled High and Deep"...

And having had my research published years ago...  What  justsie said:!!!
    Seriously as someone who also does research, there is so much wrong with this "data" collection that it's laughable. 

despicable me lol GIF

• "How sorry to feel for the spouses of internet strangers" 
  • Didn't someone else do this awhile back? Claim afterward it was "for research."
  • justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Didn't someone else do this awhile back? Claim afterward it was "for research."
    I think its been done more than one time. 
  • justsie said:
    Didn't someone else do this awhile back? Claim afterward it was "for research."
    I think its been done more than one time. 
    Typically by the relative that's not getting the flavor of cake they want...