Wedding Etiquette Forum

what all do i pay for?!?!?!?!

2»

Re: what all do i pay for?!?!?!?!

• I am so glad people explained that a house party is a tacky bridesmaid runner up consolation prize because I was thinking "of course you have to pay for the house you're having your get ready gathering in, why wouldn't you?"
    That was my first thought too. Like, what? You want to ask the bridal party to pay for the house you’re using? And then I kept reading.... o_O 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • I was in a house party for a wedding in 2002 (more or less).  The wedding was in San Antonio and the bride is from Houston.  I felt like I was a runner-up friend.  I think I handed out programs and welcomed guests to the wedding.   We had no required dress code, and I don't think we got ready with the bride (since when is that an honor?)  

My sister was in the house party for a childhood friend.  They were all told to wear green and they also handed out programs and paper fans (it was an outdoor Texas wedding in August).  My sister wanted to sell bottled water to the guests and make some $.

Thankfully those are the only real experiences I have with them. 
  • I am so glad people explained that a house party is a tacky bridesmaid runner up consolation prize because I was thinking "of course you have to pay for the house you're having your get ready gathering in, why wouldn't you?"
    That was my first thought too. Like, what? You want to ask the bridal party to pay for the house you’re using? And then I kept reading.... o_O 
    Yep!  Me too ... I've been around here for eons and this was the first time I heard of "House Party" as anything other than the house where everyone gets ready at to which I thought "Of course OP you pay for that!"...  

That all aside...  

OP - FIRST - you ask which of your WP is interested in having their hair/makeup professionally done and paid for by you...  I had my entire WP say "NO!" to me even though the person doing the work is an instructor for a high end full-service salon.  Better to ask BEFORE you book them in or have hard feelings (and cost associated with the cancellations) when something you were excited to do with them falls flat!  Next, yes, you pay for the "House Party" individuals if they're interested in having theirs professionally done as well.