Wedding Woes

So. Much. WTF?

Dear Prudence,

I have been with my husband for almost 20 years. Back in 2011 I told him that I thought he might have adult ADHD, but he’s never seriously considered the possibility. Since then he has had many moments of inattention: forgetting food on the stove, not buying what’s on a grocery list, boiling all of the water out of teapots. In the summer of 2016, he backed into my car after parking it there himself. The repairs cost $3,000. I told him he should see someone before another person gets seriously hurt.

Then he left my dog in his car and the dog suffocated. My last memory of the dog who helped our family get through a rough seven years is seeing him in rigor mortis. My husband called me in a panic. I was hysterical, but I had to keep it together because he needed me to help him figure out how to take the dog to the animal hospital.

And I cannot forgive my husband. I thought something really bad would happen, and it finally did. I warned him so many times. I warned him when he let my toddler play with a drill and he almost drilled through his femoral artery. He went to a therapist who, in his words, “didn’t think there was anything wrong with him.” I still think there is. (He just backed into my car again.) I have asked him to move out repeatedly, and he politely refuses. He says he doesn’t want to leave. Am I justified feeling exhausted by all of this? Am I wrong to just want to walk away from him?

—Tired

Re: So. Much. WTF?

• wait, is this ADHD?  

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

Dude went to a therapist, doesn't that mean he at least tried to take it seriously?  I've done all of that shit and more in the last 5 years.  I sure hope my husband isn't going to hold it against me for the next 20.

• MRDCleMRDCle member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    wait, is this ADHD?  
    Sounds waaay bigger than ADHD.
  • wait, is this ADHD?  
    I mean...IDK, but it sounds like more of a deficit/issue than that. 

Why she hasn't pushed to have him evaluated further or go to a therapist together is beyond me.  Her attitude is very bizarre.  She does not see how she could (and should) have taken more steps to try address these concerning behaviors in her husband and now just wants to wash her hands of him?  If half these things were going on with DH, it would be *our* problem and I'd at least try (more than, "You have ADHD and need to figure it out!") to see if there was a treatment protocol that could help these issues/behaviors. 
  • Nope, this seems WAY bigger than adult ADHA. This seems like an actual mental deficit (i.e. mini strokes, Alzheimer's or dementia, or other loss of cognitive function). I would ask him to be seen not by a therapist, but by a medical doctor. Go with him and explain all the symptoms he has exhibited. It's entirely possible when he saw the therapist he didn't, or couldn't, explain everything that is going on. 

In the meantime you need to take steps to protect any children or pets, first by not leaving them alone with him. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    6fsn said:

Dude went to a therapist, doesn't that mean he at least tried to take it seriously?  I've done all of that shit and more in the last 5 years.  I sure hope my husband isn't going to hold it against me for the next 20.

You killed your dog? Backed into a car twice? Let your toddler play with a drill? 
    I’ve hit two mailboxes and let my kids use power tools. I’ve also burnt things, forgot to buy things on a list and boiled water out of a pot. No I didn’t kill a dog but the other stuff just seems like a small list over 20 years. 
  • kerbohl said:

Okay, on the one hand, yeah, LW's husband's problem is something she should be helping with instead of apparently putting all the onus on him. DH is forgetful, and I work around it - I text him to remember to pick me up, I leave instructions with the animals, I have back-up plans in place in the likely scenario he will forget something etc ...

On the other hand ... this guy killed a dog. DH kills one of my animals out of his forgetfulness, and holy cow will I be livid. You do not ignore a problem that has resulted in an animal's death. I wouldn't be getting over this too quick either. 

Exactly. A normal person who kills a dog is horrified and ashamed and tries desperately to make sure it never happens again. He didn’t do that. So I think it’s either a) he’s evil or b) he’s suffering from cognitive impairment and needs help. 
  • 6fsn said:
    6fsn said:

You killed your dog? Backed into a car twice? Let your toddler play with a drill? 
    I’ve hit two mailboxes and let my kids use power tools. I’ve also burnt things, forgot to buy things on a list and boiled water out of a pot. No I didn’t kill a dog but the other stuff just seems like a small list over 20 years. 
    I've hit the house and a mailbox.   

You cannot compare backing into a car and hitting  a mailbox.  

And you let your TODDLER use a power drill? 

• kerbohl said:

Okay, on the one hand, yeah, LW's husband's problem is something she should be helping with instead of apparently putting all the onus on him. DH is forgetful, and I work around it - I text him to remember to pick me up, I leave instructions with the animals, I have back-up plans in place in the likely scenario he will forget something etc ...

On the other hand ... this guy killed a dog. DH kills one of my animals out of his forgetfulness, and holy cow will I be livid. You do not ignore a problem that has resulted in an animal's death. I wouldn't be getting over this too quick either. 

Exactly. A normal person who kills a dog is horrified and ashamed and tries desperately to make sure it never happens again. He didn’t do that. So I think it’s either a) he’s evil or b) he’s suffering from cognitive impairment and needs help. 
    And this.  

If you back into a car or hit something with it you have some kind of oh-shit level remorse.

If you burn out a teapot you smack your palm to your forehead.  If you do this MULTIPLE TIMES then there's a problem.

Plus, the OP said that she had to keep it together to figure out how to get the dog to the animal hospital.   Now maybe the H was overcome with grief that he couldn't think straight but again, this is a pattern of poor judgement and cognition if he's not thinking about how to take care of the dog on his own as a grown man.    

It's one thing to burn a batch of cookies.   It's another to have this pattern of behavior.  
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    edited June 2018
    banana468 said:
    6fsn said:
    6fsn said:

Yes. I let my 3 yo use a drill. I got a sense the lw is prone to
    overreacting. I get the outrage at killing the dog. I can understand not being able to get past that. It seems strange to lump it in with forgetting something ona shopping list. 
  • 6fsn said:
    banana468 said:
    6fsn said:
    6fsn said:

overreacting. I get the outrage at killing the dog. I can understand not being able to get past that. It seems strange to lump it in with forgetting something ona shopping list. 
    This is a pattern of behavior:
    -forgets food on the stove (plural) 
    -forgets to buy what is on the shopping list (plural)
    -boiling water out of the teapots (this in addition to forgetting food on the stove) (POTS.   PLURAL)
    -Backed into parked car two years ago and AGAIN.   PLURAL
    -Forgot dog in car long enough for dog to die
    -Lacked the mental ability to DEAL with the death of said dog so wife had to be called to help him figure out next steps with a dead dog. 
    -Let TODDLER play with drill (not USE - play; it implies unsupervised use)

If you think all of this is normal then....WOW.

• 6fsn said:
    banana468 said:
    6fsn said:
    6fsn said:

I don’t think she’s outraged about the more minor stuff. She’s listing it to show a pattern of inattention and carelessness. And he doesn’t care. He doesn’t think it’s a problem to let a two year old play with power tools. It is. He doesn’t think he needs help. He thinks it acceptable to just politely decline to move out. 

Again, evil and manipulative or suffering impairment are where I am. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    Over the course of 20 years. 
  • 6fsn said:
    banana468 said:
    6fsn said:
    6fsn said:

I don’t think she’s outraged about the more minor stuff. She’s listing it to show a pattern of inattention and carelessness. And he doesn’t care. He doesn’t think it’s a problem to let a two year old play with power tools. It is. He doesn’t think he needs help. He thinks it acceptable to just politely decline to move out. 

Again, evil and manipulative or suffering impairment are where I am. 
    He's either suuuper evil and manipulative (freaking out over a dead dog) or there are major issues.

If all of these things were done by someone 75 I don't think this would be the debate that it is.

Again, when this was my DH's grandmother it was this kind of stuff over a period of time. And finally she had a mini-stroke that was big enough that it was recommended that she no longer live by herself.

What I'm not getting in all of this is why the LW isn't seeing it.   Something isn't making sense here.  All of this spells a dude that should probably not live alone because he may be a danger to himself or others.
  • 6fsn said:
    To be fair the letter says since 2011, so more like 7 years.

If he's always been forgetful and she's just tired of it, that's one thing. But, if all of this started suddenly, or got progressively worse over time, it's a different thing entirely. 

Also, the dog. 
  • 6fsn said:
    7 years.   So in the last 7 years of his life these are the things that he's done ON TOP OF the things that lead her to think that there issues already. 
  • My heart is breaking for that dog.  Or anytime I hear those stories about people leaving their animal or baby in a hot car.  It is a horrific and torturous way to die.  I need to stop thinking about that aspect of the letter.

Agree with the PPs.  It's disappointing that more hasn't been done over the last 7 years (problems started in 2011) to determine what is going on.  I understand that is probably like pulling teeth to get him to go to a doctor, but those are the conditions she needs to place or she should just walk out.  Because if he doesn't see the incident with the dog and the child as a sign that something is wrong, then that is an even bigger sign of a problem.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm with all of you guys on that these are serious issues...

...but she's asked him to move out and he prefers not to? So she's just still living with the man she considers dangerous?

If you need to break up, I get that that's hard when you co-own a house. I also get that you feel like you shouldn't have to be the one who totally uproots your life. But if he refuses to move out and you need to keep yourself and your kid safe... you can move out?
  • I'm with all of you guys on that these are serious issues...

...but she's asked him to move out and he prefers not to? So she's just still living with the man she considers dangerous?

If you need to break up, I get that that's hard when you co-own a house. I also get that you feel like you shouldn't have to be the one who totally uproots your life. But if he refuses to move out and you need to keep yourself and your kid safe... you can move out?
    This is why I question LW.  

Something isn't adding up on the LW's end that all of these things are happening and LW isn't thinking of other issues, going w/ the H to a physician, etc.   

Then again, I don't understand writing to Prudie in general as much as I love Thursdays :-) 
  • banana468 said:
    I'm with all of you guys on that these are serious issues...

Something isn't adding up on the LW's end that all of these things are happening and LW isn't thinking of other issues, going w/ the H to a physician, etc.   

Then again, I don't understand writing to Prudie in general as much as I love Thursdays :-) 
    It makes me appreciate my problems, my ability to handle them, and sometimes, my intelligence (generally and emotionally).  ;)  

I've never done a deep dive, but I've seen things online where it alludes to advice column letters being manufactured.  There's definitely been similar letters that have popped up in different columns.  And honestly, I don't want to know if it's MUD.  
  • mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:

It makes me appreciate my problems, my ability to handle them, and sometimes, my intelligence (generally and emotionally).  ;)  

I've never done a deep dive, but I've seen things online where it alludes to advice column letters being manufactured.  There's definitely been similar letters that have popped up in different columns.  And honestly, I don't want to know if it's MUD.  
    Please don't burst my Prudie bubble. I really don't want to know. These letters make me feel so. much. better. about my life. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:

Please don't burst my Prudie bubble. I really don't want to know. These letters make me feel so. much. better. about my life. 

I don't think the various advice columns, themselves, manufacture letters.  They wouldn't have to!  But I'm sure people send in fake letters that, every once in a great while, might get printed.

On April Fool's Day each year, Dear Abby will usually run a few letters that she and her staff have determined to be "fake".

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Dude needs a neurologist stat. You reallly never considered it could be something physically wrong too? 

• You know...I'm just going to say that the woman is throwing up a red flag for me the way she lists things, takes on things that somewhat seem maybe not true, etc.  I just interacted with a hellion of a woman who obviously believes her husband is a moron and treats him as such.  He's not, he's perfectly fine, intelligent, nice, and polite and she acts like he's an incompetent bumbling idiot.  There's something about this that makes me think of gaslighting.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    VarunaTT said:
    You know...I'm just going to say that the woman is throwing up a red flag for me the way she lists things, takes on things that somewhat seem maybe not true, etc.  I just interacted with a hellion of a woman who obviously believes her husband is a moron and treats him as such.  He's not, he's perfectly fine, intelligent, nice, and polite and she acts like he's an incompetent bumbling idiot.  There's something about this that makes me think of gaslighting.
    I think that’s what I was getting at. Dh could easily make a list 
    she ignored our TODDLER and he got a head wound that required glue (I was tending to another child). A few years later a similar thing happened with an unsupervised child (dh was there and a questionable child threw a stool at her)
    she burnt the cookbook
    she let the water boil out of the saucepan making tea then again when making eggs. (4 years apart)
    she backed into the mailbox (getting used to driving a van) then clipped a mailbox with the mirror (because someone came left of center
    she forgot to feed the kids lunch ( I forgot to pack the hot dogs and they could still buy lunch). 

I can absolutely see not getting g over the dog. I often wonder what happens to couples after a child dies like this. 

• LW, move out yourself and take your kid with you. Yesterday. And don't, for the sale of the Deity, late him handle another power tool until he's got about 8 more years of age.

Unfortunately, you can't control your husband, only how you deal with him.