Wedding Woes

How do I deal with Future Mother in Law (FMIL)

Help!  I need some suggestions on how to deal with this situation.

For some background, FH and I have been together for about 9 years now.  It's been wonderful!  His mom is actually one of the nicest, kindest, and wonderful people in my life, which is why this situation has caused such anxiety for me.  The whole time FH and I dated she was nothing but kind and generous.  When we got engaged and set a date, things started to change.

First, she came with us to the venue we wanted and took a tour - we all loved it!  That was just about the only thing we've agreed on so far.

She would always be asking me questions about the wedding and I have been doing my best to dodge them, as I  realize we have completely different visions on how this day will go - overall I'm not sure she realizes her place in all of this.  Her children are quite literally the center of her world and she would do anything for them, but I am not sure she realizes that there is a whole other family involved and that decisions are being made between her son and....the bride?

Anyway, so first she would ask me questions about what I was thinking about the color palate - I told her burgundy, blush, golds, lots of greenery (it's a fall wedding).  She didn't really say anything but it was clear she wasn't a fan.  Not a big deal in this case.  Then I would mention things like the fact that I don't want to bother with favors because people don't usually take them and she goes on about how she can do them, which I took as her wanting to help so I let that one go too.  Then she had a problem with the number of people in the wedding party (6 on each side) and seemed personally offended by that decision, and that it was way too many.  I can cut her daughter out if she wants??  And then she had a problem with one of the girls I wanted to have in it, etc.  She also kept suggesting this VERY expensive dessert option that just isn't in the budget (she is paying for the rehearsal dinner - we are paying for the wedding with some help from my parents) - though later on she did mention that it's expensive.  Again, all minor things that I'm not going to lose sleep over.

But here's the one thing I can't let go.  She is deeply deeply Catholic.  I think it's wonderful that she has a faith and a community that she loves so much and it makes her happy.  I would never in a million years try to tell someone how they should live their lives or what they should believe or how they should marry their partner.  But I don't feel like that respect of one's beliefs is being reciprocated.  We broke the news to her that we won't be getting married in the Catholic church and she was upset but took it better than I thought.  But then she made it clear that it was unacceptable to be married by a JP, even a practicing Catholic, and that it wasn't okay to just have "religious undertones" as was/is our intention, and that it would be disrespectful to god.  

My question is, how do I establish a boundary, and *very gently and kindly let her know what her place is in all of this?  How do I explain that I'm not sure of where I stand on my faith and that I wish for that to be respected, as I respect her practices and beliefs to be her own?  If I don't establish a clear boundary now then I will have trouble with this for probably many years.  Thank you!

Re: How do I deal with Future Mother in Law (FMIL)

• Nobody gets to tell you whether to have a religious ceremony or not; only the couple getting married can or should decide that. While I agree that some boundaries need to be set here regarding your wedding - especially on the issue of the ceremony-your FI should be the one to have that discussion with his mother, not you. He needs to let her know that this is a personal decision that she cannot involve herself in and that you guys will not be changing your minds about it.
  • Help!  I need some suggestions on how to deal with this situation.

For some background, FH and I have been together for about 9 years now.  It's been wonderful!  His mom is actually one of the nicest, kindest, and wonderful people in my life, which is why this situation has caused such anxiety for me.  The whole time FH and I dated she was nothing but kind and generous.  When we got engaged and set a date, things started to change.

First, she came with us to the venue we wanted and took a tour - we all loved it!  That was just about the only thing we've agreed on so far.

She would always be asking me questions about the wedding and I have been doing my best to dodge them, as I  realize we have completely different visions on how this day will go - overall I'm not sure she realizes her place in all of this.  Her children are quite literally the center of her world and she would do anything for them, but I am not sure she realizes that there is a whole other family involved and that decisions are being made between her son and....the bride?

Anyway, so first she would ask me questions about what I was thinking about the color palate - I told her burgundy, blush, golds, lots of greenery (it's a fall wedding).  She didn't really say anything but it was clear she wasn't a fan.  Not a big deal in this case.  Then I would mention things like the fact that I don't want to bother with favors because people don't usually take them and she goes on about how she can do them, which I took as her wanting to help so I let that one go too.  Then she had a problem with the number of people in the wedding party (6 on each side) and seemed personally offended by that decision, and that it was way too many.  I can cut her daughter out if she wants??  And then she had a problem with one of the girls I wanted to have in it, etc.  She also kept suggesting this VERY expensive dessert option that just isn't in the budget (she is paying for the rehearsal dinner - we are paying for the wedding with some help from my parents) - though later on she did mention that it's expensive.  Again, all minor things that I'm not going to lose sleep over.

But here's the one thing I can't let go.  She is deeply deeply Catholic.  I think it's wonderful that she has a faith and a community that she loves so much and it makes her happy.  I would never in a million years try to tell someone how they should live their lives or what they should believe or how they should marry their partner.  But I don't feel like that respect of one's beliefs is being reciprocated.  We broke the news to her that we won't be getting married in the Catholic church and she was upset but took it better than I thought.  But then she made it clear that it was unacceptable to be married by a JP, even a practicing Catholic, and that it wasn't okay to just have "religious undertones" as was/is our intention, and that it would be disrespectful to god.  

My question is, how do I establish a boundary, and *very gently and kindly let her know what her place is in all of this?  How do I explain that I'm not sure of where I stand on my faith and that I wish for that to be respected, as I respect her practices and beliefs to be her own?  If I don't establish a clear boundary now then I will have trouble with this for probably many years.  Thank you!

• How does your FI feel about this? I assume he was raised in the Catholic church; does he still practice? If he feels at all like he may want to have his marriage endorsed by the church, you may need to make some concessions there. Some more traditional Catholic parishes won't even recognize a marriage that doesn't take place in a church, and there are specific items that need to be included in the ceremony. I would suggest having this conversation ASAP with your FI, if you haven't already. It is kind of a big deal for Catholics, and depending on how religious he has been, it may be a difficult decision for him to make.

If you have talked to him and he intends to never return to the church, then you are free to have the ceremony the two of you choose. In that case, it would be a conversation he should have with his own mother. 

The rest of it could be that she wants to be involved in the planning. If there are pieces of your wedding you're not super hung up on getting exactly right (table decorations? favors, since she's already expressed interest?), you could delegate some of those tasks to her. My MIL wanted to be involved in our planning, and had kind of a weird way of doing that as well. Like...she gave her opinion on things but in a very hesitant way. I asked her to do a few things & involved her in tasks like putting the favors together. We also gave my ILs total control over the RD; I just gave her the names to include, helped with the seating for my family & H and I went to a tasting with them. Even if you've had a good relationship with her so far (yay!!), wedding planning is kind of acknowledging that relationships are going to change, and even if you've been dating forever, marriage is different. It sounds like she's trying to figure out how she will fit in the life you & your FI are creating together and would like to make sure she's included. She may not even recognize that she's doing it or that she feels that way. If you're able, I spent some time with both my mom & MIL together leading up to the wedding which I think helped as well. 
  • I think your FI should sit with her without you and try to feel her out:
    -Regarding the WP he should ask why it's too large.   Does she have in her head the notion that the WP reflects the size of the wedding itself?   My mom thought that and DH and I essentially had to tell her that she was misinformed.     Or is the real issue as @MesmrEwe pointed out that a large WP means that when you add up SOs plus immediate family that's a really big RD?  And while you get to pick your WP that may come as a surprise to MIL.   Your FI should ask her why she feels that way.  Maybe those feelings come from an issue of budget or maybe she just thinks that large WPs are over the top.  Is this something that she can't let go or is she fine with it? 

-Regarding the color palette, is this an issue because she doesn't like colors or does she feel that SHE needs to coordinate with the color scheme?   If it's the latter I would simply reassure her that she doesn't need to wear any thing or any color that doesn't make her feel 100% fantastic.  A friend's mom mentioned years ago that she felt compelled to wear the wedding colors and it made her anxious as they just weren't flattering on her.   Ultimately she found a complimentary color that worked for her but again, when you're the MOG it can be a bit of a struggle to focus on your attire too.   If she just doesn't like the colors they're colors - she'll let them go.

-On the Catholic ceremony thing is the issue that you're having a JP or is the issue that you're having religious undertones in that ceremony?   Did you already find a Catholic JP?  I'm thinking that's going to be difficult to find a practicing Catholic who will marry you outside of the church and honestly I can understand that.   Yes, the ceremony is yours but please also understand that if your FMIL is deeply rooted in her beliefs then she's seeing that the ceremony that isn't religious but has some religious elements is disingenuous.   If you're not being married by the clergy then by incorporating elements of faith without an ordained minister I can sort of see her viewpoint.  It becomes a bit more theatrical especially if the ceremony isn't sanctioned by any faith in any way.

And those are your choices - but please understand that by not marrying in the church, your FI and then H will no longer be in good standing in that faith.   Is that something that he has already considered?  This will mean that he's not to receive communion, serve as a God parent or a sponsor for Baptism.   He won't be a Catholic in good standing.  Those may not be issues for him but they should be things that he understands.  

Would a compromise be to simply use a JP and have a strictly secular ceremony? 

I think the best course is for your FI to sit with his mom privately to really get to the bottom of these frustrations and then he can talk to you about the concerns presented.   Try to hear her out.   If you two have had years of a great relationship then maybe she also has some understanding of concepts that are worth your consideration.
  • I think the boundaries to draw are really all about you and your FI. You’ve decided what you are doing together, yes? So you don’t need to convince her it’s okay (it is) or that she’s wrong to be behaving like this (she is). Both of you just need to convey the message that this isn’t open for discussion and then don’t discuss it. 

This. 

I concur with Banana that if she's a devout Catholic, trying to 'compromise' with the JP or using 'elements' of the faith in your ceremony may be more offensive than making it completely secular.  Catholics are very clear that sacraments happen in the church, full stop. 

However, I don't think she gets a say on the rest of the wedding because she's paying for the RD.  Conceding to her ideas for the RD are probably in your best interest.  But anything having to do with the wedding day, if she's going to criticize or get you to make changes, I'd stop discussing it with her. 

I believe your FI needs to be the one communicating with her about all of this.  Also, I caution on the 'put her in her place' mindset.  It IS your FI's mother and her feelings will always have weight in some way.  Finding compromise between you and your FI on how you deal with parents, especially when their feelings or desires go against your own, is important in marriage.  
  • I can understand why she is upset you all aren't being married in a Catholic Church, for all the reasons PPs mentioned.  Because it has a lot more ramifications than just where the ceremony takes place.  However, that is also HIS choice.  Especially in terms of potentially no longer being in good standing with the Catholic church.  He needs to be the primary one having these discussions with his mom.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Help!  I need some suggestions on how to deal with this situation.

So one thing is sticking to me in the above and it's why I think the OP may have some issues with the MIL.   I hope that you and your FI really look into what it means to have a religious or non religious ceremony full stop.   I said that before but this isn't something that's just easily remedied like by going back to church and everything is fine.   So some research may be needed on your end to ensure your'e both making the right decision together for the two of you.   

Second, I also agree with @mrsconn23 that the put her in her place mindset isn't necessarily the right way to go.   Think of the marriage as the beginning here.   And this is building a relationship that you're going to have with this woman for a long time.   A put in place mindset rarely goes over well with anyone especially if you will possibly share holidays.  
  • banana468 said:

So one thing is sticking to me in the above and it's why I think the OP may have some issues with the MIL.   I hope that you and your FI really look into what it means to have a religious or non religious ceremony full stop.   I said that before but this isn't something that's just easily remedied like by going back to church and everything is fine.   So some research may be needed on your end to ensure your'e both making the right decision together for the two of you.   

Second, I also agree with @mrsconn23 that the put her in her place mindset isn't necessarily the right way to go.   Think of the marriage as the beginning here.   And this is building a relationship that you're going to have with this woman for a long time.   A put in place mindset rarely goes over well with anyone especially if you will possibly share holidays.  
    Idk why you’re assuming they hasn’t done their research, aren’t fully aware, and aren’t 100 percent okay with this. 
  • banana468 said:

Idk why you’re assuming they hasn’t done their research, aren’t fully aware, and aren’t 100 percent okay with this. 
    I am making the assumption that the FI is some kind of Catholic.   If he is, they're not going to find a JP who is Catholic who will do this.    It's not congruent with the faith of a Catholic to preside over a marriage ceremony of someone of his/her  faith who intends to marry outside it.    If the OP thinks that she's found someone to do this I am doubtful. 

Also, the OP says that she's not sure where she stands in her faith.   That's telling me that if she's not sure where she's standing can't be 100 % OK with it.    And again, the things she proposes aren't things that can work with a practicing Catholic so it makes me wonder if the solutions for who will marry them are in her head only.   
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

I am making the assumption that the FI is some kind of Catholic.   If he is, they're not going to find a JP who is Catholic who will do this.    It's not congruent with the faith of a Catholic to preside over a marriage ceremony of someone of his/her  faith who intends to marry outside it.    If the OP thinks that she's found someone to do this I am doubtful. 

Also, the OP says that she's not sure where she stands in her faith.   That's telling me that if she's not sure where she's standing can't be 100 % OK with it.    And again, the things she proposes aren't things that can work with a practicing Catholic so it makes me wonder if the solutions for who will marry them are in her head only.   
    I just think you are wrong. There are loads of judges around here who serve as for hire wedding officiants who are themselves Catholic and do weddings for anyone who asks. This is a boundaries questions not a please explain Catholicism to me question. 
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

I just think you are wrong. There are loads of judges around here who serve as for hire wedding officiants who are themselves Catholic and do weddings for anyone who asks. This is a boundaries questions not a please explain Catholicism to me question. 
    I'm going to defer to @flantastic as someone with more doctrine knowledge.   My understanding is that while a judge can marry anyone if the couple state that they ARE Catholic then he's not supposed to.    

Regardless, who the OP finds to marry them is a small portion of the overall situation that involves boundaries and a need for her FI to talk to his mom.
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

I'm going to defer to @flantastic as someone with more doctrine knowledge.   My understanding is that while a judge can marry anyone if the couple state that they ARE Catholic then he's not supposed to.    

Regardless, who the OP finds to marry them is a small portion of the overall situation that involves boundaries and a need for her FI to talk to his mom.
    Agreed! 
  • banana468 said:

Hmmm. So yes, if there is a JP who believes (as strongly as OP's FMIL) that marriage between two Catholics or a Catholic and a baptized Christian is supposed to be celebrated sacramentally will probably have a personal issue with celebrating that wedding, and might lay out the consequences for making that choice, as Banana did.

However, I'm sure there are many Catholic judges/JPs who wouldn't feel as strongly, know there's an issue at all (#badcatechesis), or think it their place to say, and would still celebrate it. But canonically they'd be helping someone make a decision to excommunicate themselves, and I'm sure their priests would recommend against it. (FYI, that term just means you're not supposed to be receiving Communion until your situation gets resolved, which as Banana said is gonna be a significant process).

OP and her FI do have the right to make that decision for themselves, but they should know what it entails and be sure that's the route that her FI wants to take. And I understand the perspective that it seems disingenuous to try to incorporate Catholic faith elements into an otherwise secular ceremony (when you are making a fully conscious decision to ignore the Church - if you don't know any better, then I'll cut you some slack). You either are or you aren't having a Catholic wedding.

OP, as for the rest, just keep doing your thing. Just have 6 BMs - there's no need to do anything specific to "put her in her place," just make the decisions that are yours and for which you're paying. If a conflict comes up, best to have your FI explain to her your joint decisions are joint and are made.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

This is kind of interesting.  A Catholic cannot become ordained in another church to perform the ceremony, but a Catholic JP could do a civil ceremony.

https://www.catholic.com/qa/can-i-be-ordained-online-to-officiate-a-wedding

As someone who constantly gets asked about my religion I make a statement and move on.  To my SIL who asks to get a rise out of me I just say I won't discuss it. If someone else happens to ask (a rarity) I will do my best to explain.  If your MIL is as great as you say, simply tell her that you are working on discerning your faith. 

• 6fsn said:

This is kind of interesting.  A Catholic cannot become ordained in another church to perform the ceremony, but a Catholic JP could do a civil ceremony.

As someone who constantly gets asked about my religion I make a statement and move on.  To my SIL who asks to get a rise out of me I just say I won't discuss it. If someone else happens to ask (a rarity) I will do my best to explain.  If your MIL is as great as you say, simply tell her that you are working on discerning your faith. 

That is interesting. I wonder how many Catholics are really aware of this? I can think of a few who have officiated at civil ceremonies and weren't civil servants themselves. 
  • 6fsn said:

That is interesting. I wonder how many Catholics are really aware of this? I can think of a few who have officiated at civil ceremonies and weren't civil servants themselves. 
    It make sense.   You can't ordain yourself in another church because then in what church are you a member? 

I agree that there are plenty of Catholics who just have poor Catechesis.   Often the requirements for marriage within the church aren't emphasized or remembered when the last of instruction that many Catholics get are in preparation for Confirmation which is usually in early teens.   Then a lot is forgotten.
  • 6fsn said:

Yup. If you're not Catholic, then you don't have to get married Catholic. So there's no issue with Catholics helping people contract "valid" (canon law term) civil marriages if it's not their responsibility to get married in the Church.

If you are Catholic, though (especially if you're confirmed), then you're responsible for getting married in a Catholic ceremony, or get the appropriate permission from your bishop not to. I could see the Catholic civil servant refusing to "aid and abet" someone who doesn't take those steps. If OP's FI does that, then any Catholic JP should have no problem. I actually know a couple in that situation - they got a dispensation to have their wedding outside the Church because one was Catholic and the other was vehemently anti-Catholic (at the time).

But many people are pretty well unaware of all of this, even if they've been practicing their whole lives.
  • 6fsn said:

Yup. If you're not Catholic, then you don't have to get married Catholic. So there's no issue with Catholics helping people contract "valid" (canon law term) civil marriages if it's not their responsibility to get married in the Church.

If you are Catholic, though (especially if you're confirmed), then you're responsible for getting married in a Catholic ceremony, or get the appropriate permission from your bishop not to. I could see the Catholic civil servant refusing to "aid and abet" someone who doesn't take those steps. If OP's FI does that, then any Catholic JP should have no problem. I actually know a couple in that situation - they got a dispensation to have their wedding outside the Church because one was Catholic and the other was vehemently anti-Catholic (at the time).

But many people are pretty well unaware of all of this, even if they've been practicing their whole lives.
    And I’d certainly hope many others marry everyone who turns up at the courthouse or hire without asking their religions because this isn’t a theocracy and if your interpretation of your catholic faith requires you to discriminate in civil weddings  then you don’t have any business taking on the business of being a public official who conducts weddings. 
    I think this comes up when someone asks for a Catholic JP specifically because they want "Catholic elements" in their ceremony, not in the general course of things.
  • 6fsn said:

And I’d certainly hope many others marry everyone who turns up at the courthouse or hire without asking their religions because this isn’t a theocracy and if your interpretation of your catholic faith requires you to discriminate in civil weddings  then you don’t have any business taking on the business of being a public official who conducts weddings. 
    I think this comes up when someone asks for a Catholic JP specifically because they want "Catholic elements" in their ceremony, not in the general course of things.
    @STARMOON44 I get what you're saying.   There are probably loads of Catholic judges who have married non practicing Catholics in civil unions.   

But if the couple are now ASKING for religious elements then that's where it's different.   Then they're trying to ask the officiant to add aspects of faith to the ceremony.  
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I wonder what aspects they are trying to add though.  I reading from the Bible? Lay people do that every day. A pray? yep, lay people do that too. 
  • 6fsn said:
    I wonder what aspects they are trying to add though.  I reading from the Bible? Lay people do that every day. A pray? yep, lay people do that too. 

I interpreted "religious undertones" to be much more general and that it would not include anything specifically Catholic.  The ceremony might mention God, have prayers, perhaps a quote from the Bible.  Any, none, or all of that.  So I'm also a little confused by that.

If that's the case, the FMIL...at least for that aspect...would be trying to push her own religious beliefs/views on the ceremony.  I don't want to speak for other religions or other parts of Christianity, so I'll speak for what I know.  I was married outside, not in or near a church, by a Lutheran pastor (I was raised Lutheran).  Prayers were said.  God was mentioned multiple times.  None of that is considered disrespectful to God for us and probably all/most Protestant sects.  I'm sure it's not disrespectful for agnostics either.

I would have thought that was true for Catholicism and Greek Orthodox also.  So maybe this is a FMIL thing.  Or maybe I'm wrong and/or misunderstanding something. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker