Wedding Woes

Well, at least it's not Monday

How's everyone so far today?

I'm okay. At work, SSDD. H and I got the rest of the house clean last night and then I had no motivation to cook. Leftover pizza for the win! And I still stayed in my weight watchers points!

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: Well, at least it's not Monday

• I just posted because it was sooo quiet. 
  • Not much here. Working on my exit interview questions for the nonprofit. Of course this place would have me just write out responses rather than conducting an actual interview. I'm trying to strike a balance between candid and not burning bridges. If obviously professional, but I'm wondering just how honest I should be. 

We are signing the final loan (hopefully final) loan documents tonight for the house. H is out there this morning with a contractor getting estimates for all the things that have to be fixed right after closing. 
  • I took yesterday off after LA pride...Not enough sleep or coffee would have prepared me for a Monday morning. 

We had another Monday morning icebreaker yesterday...I'm so sorry I missed it *Sarcasm font*

I spent the morning catching up on emails and missed meetings that should have been emails. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2018
    yeah pretty much SSDD for me too.  I'm going to try to convince H to go and see Hereditary tonight since my workout was completed this morning.  Seriously, the damn birds woke me up at 4:30! 

I thought I had dinner plans for Monday with a group of friends but on Sunday they were all like "oh, didn't know it was concrete, can we change it?" so I immediately canceled my Tuesday Walmart grocery pick up with the intent to just go shopping Monday night on my own.  Welllllll Monday night came and I had no intention to walk into a store, so I re-placed the order again for tonight.  Walmart is spoiling me!

edit for:  today is going to be another great day.  My two annoying coworkers are yet again out.  I love when they're not around.  

@shessocold, good job on staying w/in points AND still having pizza! 
    @charlotte989875 gl with your exit interview.  I bet you're excited for new beginnings. 
    @nbsquared2017, how was pride?

• yeah pretty much SSDD for me too.  I'm going to try to convince H to go and see Hereditary tonight since my workout was completed this morning.  Seriously, the damn birds woke me up at 4:30! 

I thought I had dinner plans for Monday with a group of friends but on Sunday they were all like "oh, didn't know it was concrete, can we change it?" so I immediately canceled my Tuesday Walmart grocery pick up with the intent to just go shopping Monday night on my own.  Welllllll Monday night came and I had no intention to walk into a store, so I re-placed the order again for tonight.  Walmart is spoiling me!

@shessocold, good job on staying w/in points AND still having pizza! 
    @charlotte989875 gl with your exit interview.  I bet you're excited for new beginnings. 
    @nbsquared2017, how was pride?
    @charmedpam - so much love and happiness! I always have so much fun when I go with my friends. I had never been to West Hollywood, so it was a first but I had sooo much fun! I need an IV drip, but I'm managing. 

We are headed to NYC in 2 weeks!
  • Homework and general house stuff today. I’m exhausted. I can’t wait for this semester to be over. I’m a little annoyed at my mom. She has a history of recurrent kidney infections and UTIs that have resulted in hospital admissions. She currently has a kidney infection that has failed 3 rounds of antibiotics in the last 4 weeks. She is still having pain, fevers, and chills. She sounded terrible when I called her. I told her yesterday she needs to go to the doctor and not to wait, and her response was “oh, I called and they wanted me to come in, but I knew traffic would be bad. So now I have an appointment on Thursday.” Woman is going to end up in the hospital septic with kidney damage and her kidney function is already questionable to begin with. Ugh. 

• Very quiet. I'm about to go take a test to apply for a job. If an interview takes place, it would be on another day. Later today I'm meeting a recruiter, but our phone interview was a bit strained, so I'm not looking forward to it.

Now that I think about it, recruiters have gotten me only two jobs, and neither went well.
  • Not looking good for the house I put an offer in on.  Apparently there are three different people who own the house (inherited).  The sellers' agent got in touch with one of them and they only said my offer was too low.  He is still trying to get in touch with the other two people.

This was hilarious also.  The seller claimed they fixed the sewer problem and sent the quote from the plumbing company they claimed they used.  Oh honey, I hate to break it to you, but there is still an active sewerage leak.  And whatever your plumber did for $1900 was way too low a price to fix what's actually wrong.  In a nutshell, this is an old city.  And so is our infrastructure.  My H and I are assuming the cast iron...because cast iron is what they used a million years ago...main sewer pipe to the house has collapsed and needs to be dug up and replaced.  Because that's what happens over decades of use.  And what we are seeing have all the hallmarks that this is the real problem.   

As an aside, there has been a HUGE project going on...and still going on...for the last couple years with the Sewerage and Water Board.  They are essentially digging up entire swaths of the older areas of the city to replace all the cast iron piping arteries that they are responsible for.  Like government/public agencies always do, they are YEARS overdue for this work.  And still weren't going to do it, but were finally forced to by "bigger Federal" agencies, smh. 

But once those old pipes hit a property line, it's the property owner's responsibility.

A bit disappointing, but I'm not surprised.  My H was more disappointed then I was.  I reminded him that the numbers have to be there.  If the numbers aren't there, they aren't there.  There will be other properties, possibly for that same area he likes, where the numbers will be there.  We just have to be patient for the right opportunity.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • at @short+sassy, so sorry it's looking that way.  See what the other owners say but won't it be even more difficult to sell with 3 potential owners?  I say things happen for a reason.  Maybe something else will pop up?

• at @short+sassy, so sorry it's looking that way.  See what the other owners say but won't it be even more difficult to sell with 3 potential owners?  I say things happen for a reason.  Maybe something else will pop up?

Yes, yes indeed!  I didn't know it was three different people, until I put my offer in.  Not a dealbreaker necessarily, but I'm sure it will complicate things.

I was also SHOCKED that the seller's agent wanted my "pre-approval" letter, even though it sounds like his clients aren't even interested in my offer.  That was an even bigger red flag for me.  It speaks volumes to me that this agent has no clue on who the potential "buyers" are going to be.  And if he doesn't have a clue, then his clients won't either.

The only class of buyers who would be interested in this property are going to be flippers.  Like me.  Which also means that, if they want to sell a property needing tens of thousands of dollars in repair/renovations, then they also need to account for the fact that anyone buying it is also going to want to see tens of thousands of dollars in profit when they're done.  I strongly suspect the sellers have no idea what the repairs will cost or even realize that their buyer will need to make a significant profit.

But a good agent would have already explained all this.  And he might have.  However, asking for a pre-approval letter sounds like he's in "residential home buyer" mode also.

Pre-approval letters are something that individuals get when they are looking to buy their own personal home.  And are actively looking to buy something within the next month or two.

I, @short+sassy, personally did not make an offer.  My LLC did.  My LLC would be getting a commercial real estate loan, because it's a company.  Not a person.  Pre-approval letters are only for individuals.  Now, I could have my bank send them a letter that's similar to a pre-approval letter for my LLC.  But I don't have those just lying around, because I'm not buying properties every month or two (someday, my friends, someday) and don't know when I'll see something I want to put an offer in on. 

But not today, lol.  It's a good year if I can add one property to my portfolio.  So I need at least a verbal, "We'll accept your offer, provided you supply us with a letter from your bank about your LLC's credit worthiness."  Because I am not going to have hard pulls on my credit done willy-nilly.

Sorry for the rant, lol.  If they aren't in the biz, I don't blame the sellers.  Real estate investing and buying a personal home are different motivations and different worlds, including the financing.  The average person doesn't know that nor should they.  But their agent should and be able to give an overview explanation.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jen - Wishing you good job vibes! 

DD slept for almost 2 1/2 hours at daycare yesterday, so H didn't even bother to try and let her nap when they got home.  So I walked into a crazy child playing will all sorts of toys!  But she stayed in a good mood all evening, so that is a win!  She is finally stopping to resist putting on shoes as well.  I have an offer in on two more pairs of Stride Rites and lot of outfits on Poshmark, waiting to hear back from the seller.

We did some bulk food shopping yesterday.  They had a coupon for Scrub Daddies, so I bought the box.  DD loved the box and was playing with it the rest of the way through the store.  She is really getting her own little personality and its funny!

Got her in bed and H and I started to play catch up with our To Do list.  First up was getting the baby gate back up at the stairwell - which had fallen when H tried to take DD up for bed the day before we left for vacation.  Then we tethered our giant Ikea desk to the wall.

Tonight my aunt is coming for dinner.  My parents were going to join, but they are getting a new fridge delivered between 5 & 7, so they will need to be home now.

• mrsconn23 said:
    We have our place for vacation!!  WOOHOOO!! 

I'm beyond ready to go on vacation.  I'm in list-making mode.  And I plan to start pulling things out of my closet/dresser that I know I won't need in the next 1.5 weeks.  I did already settle on swimwear.  ;)  Plus I've got some orders coming for myself and the kids.  

Other than that, SSDD.  I want father's day to come and go because everyone is being a PITA about plans.  
    Yay for vacation!! When do you go? 
  • @short+sassy  if there's something I've learned after just watching my in laws in their two moves in the last year it's that a good realtor makes or breaks the process.   Second to that are when the home is now owned by people who inherited property but really don't know anything about it.     

When my IL's moved to their current 55 and over community 10 years ago they made an offer on one of the other units first (there are hundreds there) and it was owned by two siblings who inherited it either from a parent who passed away or who had to move on to some kind of elder assisted/nursing care.  The unit needed A LOT of work, the market was in the tank and the son was still holding onto it for a better offer.   My ILs then found their unit, made an offer and moved in over a period of months.   By the time they moved in that old unit was still on the market, uninhabited and with no promise to sell.   I'm not sure what came of it but holding onto it did the owners no favors.  

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

Where you going @mrsconn23?!  You've just reminded me that we have vacation next month and I don't really have many clothes.  I have 2 suits, 2 pairs of shorts, and I really don't give a crap if my dresses are 4 sizes too big.

Nothing much here.  It's fiscal year end and people are losing their ever-loving minds.  The inside sales person is also resigning so people are extra freaking out.

• mrsconn23 said:
    We have our place for vacation!!  WOOHOOO!! 

I'm beyond ready to go on vacation.  I'm in list-making mode.  And I plan to start pulling things out of my closet/dresser that I know I won't need in the next 1.5 weeks.  I did already settle on swimwear.  ;)  Plus I've got some orders coming for myself and the kids.  

Other than that, SSDD.  I want father's day to come and go because everyone is being a PITA about plans.  
    Yay for vacation!! When do you go? 
    June 23-30
  • banana468 said:
    @short+sassy  if there's something I've learned after just watching my in laws in their two moves in the last year it's that a good realtor makes or breaks the process.   Second to that are when the home is now owned by people who inherited property but really don't know anything about it.     

When my IL's moved to their current 55 and over community 10 years ago they made an offer on one of the other units first (there are hundreds there) and it was owned by two siblings who inherited it either from a parent who passed away or who had to move on to some kind of elder assisted/nursing care.  The unit needed A LOT of work, the market was in the tank and the son was still holding onto it for a better offer.   My ILs then found their unit, made an offer and moved in over a period of months.   By the time they moved in that old unit was still on the market, uninhabited and with no promise to sell.   I'm not sure what came of it but holding onto it did the owners no favors.  

Yep, like anything else, it can be a fine balance.  There's nothing wrong with holding out for a top offer, though it should still be realistic, if a seller can afford to do that.  But that choice needs to come from a place of knowledge and a place of understanding that it might sit on the market for awhile. 

Unfortunately, I think it's sometimes too easy for sellers to see that 123 House two doors down sold for $XXX, so their house should sell for $XXX.  Never mind that 123 House was fully updated with hardwoods and a fairly new, modern kitchen.  While grandma's house two doors down has a kitchen stuck in the '70s and floral wallpaper everywhere.

It's not always the agent's fault either.  I tried to buy a condo that I was going to use for a rental.  I even offered a couple thousand above comps, because the ROI was there for me.  The seller's agent gave my agent their client's absolute bottom price.  They talked about the comps and the seller's agent was basically, "Yeah, I know.  I've told her over and over again that the comps don't support the number she wants.  But she won't budge off $XXX and would rather hold onto it, then sell it for less."  In a hot seller's market, that condo sat there for 6+ months.  I wonder what happened to it, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    @short+sassy  if there's something I've learned after just watching my in laws in their two moves in the last year it's that a good realtor makes or breaks the process.   Second to that are when the home is now owned by people who inherited property but really don't know anything about it.     

Yep, like anything else, it can be a fine balance.  There's nothing wrong with holding out for a top offer, though it should still be realistic, if a seller can afford to do that.  But that choice needs to come from a place of knowledge and a place of understanding that it might sit on the market for awhile. 

Unfortunately, I think it's sometimes too easy for sellers to see that 123 House two doors down sold for $XXX, so their house should sell for $XXX.  Never mind that 123 House was fully updated with hardwoods and a fairly new, modern kitchen.  While grandma's house two doors down has a kitchen stuck in the '70s and floral wallpaper everywhere.

It's not always the agent's fault either.  I tried to buy a condo that I was going to use for a rental.  I even offered a couple thousand above comps, because the ROI was there for me.  The seller's agent gave my agent their client's absolute bottom price.  They talked about the comps and the seller's agent was basically, "Yeah, I know.  I've told her over and over again that the comps don't support the number she wants.  But she won't budge off $XXX and would rather hold onto it, then sell it for less."  In a hot seller's market, that condo sat there for 6+ months.  I wonder what happened to it, lol.

This is so many houses we saw! One where the agent straight up told our agent he knew the price was too high and that they'd rejected reasonable offers, but he could not convince the sellers. And since agents work for the buyers/sellers they have to do what the seller wants, even if it's ridiculous. 

• S+S, our house was a 5-owner situation, with one of the kids being the realtor.

We asked for most/all of the significant-to-major repairs listed from the inspection. We got a letter from one of the siblings that basically said, "We thought you knew this was an old house, you mentioned its historical charm in your offer letter, how dare you?"

So, send us a counteroffer saying you're not willing to do all of it. Our job to ask, your job to say yes or no. "Historical charm" means I love the picture molding and the craftsman style and don't need it modernized, not that I want to fix the sewer. The realtor sibling contacted us saying "Sorry, some of us are more emotional about our parents' house than others..."
  • banana468 said:

FWIW we did something similar with our condo in that we listed for what we wanted and had all of maybe two offers that were so far below asking price it wasn't worth it.   To sell we would have had to write a check and at the time (Chiquita was due any minute) it wasn't worth it.   So we rented it instead.   That's been a much better decision for us knowing that we tried to sell at a really shitty time in the market. 
  • S+S, our house was a 5-owner situation, with one of the kids being the realtor.

We asked for most/all of the significant-to-major repairs listed from the inspection. We got a letter from one of the siblings that basically said, "We thought you knew this was an old house, you mentioned its historical charm in your offer letter, how dare you?"

So, send us a counteroffer saying you're not willing to do all of it. Our job to ask, your job to say yes or no. "Historical charm" means I love the picture molding and the craftsman style and don't need it modernized, not that I want to fix the sewer. The realtor sibling contacted us saying "Sorry, some of us are more emotional about our parents' house than others..."

Wow!  I'm glad you all were able to muddle through with all that.  5-owners definitely sounds challenging.  I've heard of buyers sometimes writing a letter to a seller, usually in a multi-offer situation.  But I've never heard of a seller writing a letter to go with the counter offer.

People can understandably be emotional about their own home.  Or the home they grew up in.  But that's all one of the reasons that agents are used.  Sounds like even though the agent was also one of the owners, that she understood.  I wonder if she tried to talk her sibling out of including the letter, lol.

There is definitely nothing "charming" about an old sewer line, lol. 

Funny enough, my personal duplex is over 100 years old.  When I have a vacancy on the other side, I will always use a tagline with potential renters that is something like, "I just love all the classic*, beautiful New Orleans homes with (insert architectural features/charm the unit has).  But we all still want the modern conveniences of (insert functional upgrades the unit has)."

*See that word choice there?  "Classic".  Not old, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Wow!  I'm glad you all were able to muddle through with all that.  5-owners definitely sounds challenging.  I've heard of buyers sometimes writing a letter to a seller, usually in a multi-offer situation.  But I've never heard of a seller writing a letter to go with the counter offer.

People can understandably be emotional about their own home.  Or the home they grew up in.  But that's all one of the reasons that agents are used.  Sounds like even though the agent was also one of the owners, that she understood.  I wonder if she tried to talk her sibling out of including the letter, lol.

Funny enough, my personal duplex is over 100 years old.  When I have a vacancy on the other side, I will always use a tagline with potential renters that is something like, "I just love all the classic*, beautiful New Orleans homes with (insert architectural features/charm the unit has).  But we all still want the modern conveniences of (insert functional upgrades the unit has)."

My sister did this with their new house. They included a photo of their baby and their dog. 

My sister did this with their new house. They included a photo of their baby and their dog. 

They say that "sex sells".  But so does "cute" ;).

I'll call out advertisers to my H (not in a bad way), when they have babies or puppies/kittens in their commercial and their product has nothing to do with those industries, lol.

I'm looking at you, Amazon Prime!  I haven't seen it in awhile, but Amazon had a commercial with a baby that was scared of the family's Golden Retriever.  Until the dad bought an item that put a "lion's mane" around the dog's face, so the dog looked like the baby's favorite stuffed animal. 

A baby AND a dog!  I'm on to your tricks, Amazon.  And thought it was a great commercial anyway, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • They say that "sex sells".  But so does "cute" ;).

I'll call out advertisers to my H (not in a bad way), when they have babies or puppies/kittens in their commercial and their product has nothing to do with those industries, lol.

I'm looking at you, Amazon Prime!  I haven't seen it in awhile, but Amazon had a commercial with a baby that was scared of the family's Golden Retriever.  Until the dad bought an item that put a "lion's mane" around the dog's face, so the dog looked like the baby's favorite stuffed animal. 

A baby AND a dog!  I'm on to your tricks, Amazon.  And thought it was a great commercial anyway, lol.

I have to take continuing ed classes for my insurance license. At one of 'em, the guy asked what Palmolive's logo was. Nobody knew. Then he asked what Dawn's was. Everyone knew it was a duck. LOL it's true how that works!

Apparently Palmolive's is hands. Who knew!

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • DAMMIT. I just realized that the pork I brought to work for lunch tacos is too old to eat. And I spent my lunch break on hold with the IRS so I have nothing and my lunch break is over.

Stupid IRS. This is their fault.

• DAMMIT. I just realized that the pork I brought to work for lunch tacos is too old to eat. And I spent my lunch break on hold with the IRS so I have nothing and my lunch break is over.

Looks like someone will be within ww points again today! :)

Looks like someone will be within ww points again today! :)

LOL I like this attitude! More I get to eat for dinner!
  • I count calories and I have 288 left for dinner.  Yeah.  That's not happening.... I can never stay within my range! i may go only over 100 or 200, but I'm going over it :(