Wedding 911

Groomsman dropped out 1week before wedding

One of our groomsmen apparently has been forced to to take a shift at work on our wedding day. He notified us 10 days before the wedding :( We already have his groomsman gift engraved with his first name on it. Do we send it to him anyway? Sell it on ebay? We've already paid for his bouttenier too. What to do? 

Re: Groomsman dropped out 1week before wedding

• I emailed the florist, to see if we could put the cost toward and extra bag of petals instead.
    FI is thinking send the engraved gift after the wedding with our thank you cards
  • Of course you still send it! Why would you sell it!?
  • Yes, send it. It's not his fault he was unexpectedly prevented from attending the wedding.
  • Of course you still send it! 

• We do have reason to believe that work is not the actual reason. But we do wish he would've brought it up sooner than 10 days before the wedding; whether it was a matter of not having the money for the tux rental, or a babysitter. Or neglected to get the day off in advance.
    In either case. We could never find a replacement a WEEK before the wedding, nor want to. The florist is exchanging his bout for extra tossing petals. 
    And we will probably send his gift after the wedding. FI is still pretty upset on the short notice.
  • We do have reason to believe that work is not the actual reason. But we do wish he would've brought it up sooner than 10 days before the wedding; whether it was a matter of not having the money for the tux rental, or a babysitter. Or neglected to get the day off in advance.
    In either case. We could never find a replacement a WEEK before the wedding, nor want to. The florist is exchanging his bout for extra tossing petals. 
    And we will probably send his gift after the wedding. FI is still pretty upset on the short notice.
    So, your inclination is that he is lying? That's a huge conclusion to jump to. 
  • I have never met the man; according to my FH he hasn't been in touch with the guy in a few years before he had asked him to be in the wedding party...according to him his friend had been a little on the flaky side before this. And he had doubts about asking him to be in the wedding in the first place...my FH doesn't have a lot of close friends. I think he is really regretting having asked him to be a groomsman. Like I said. Never met him; just going on what FH is telling me; he is assuming there was more to his excuse than work.I believe him, to a degree. 

• This is one of those things that you have no control over.  Remind yourself of that and let it be.  I'm glad to hear the florist is helping you out!