Wedding Woes

Unpopular Opinions

Can we do one of these? 

Mine? The term "hacks". At first, it wasn't bad but I feel like every "hack" I see now is just a tip. To me, a hack should be something totally off the wall and awesome, like making hard boiled eggs in your dishwasher. Not adding vinegar to the boiling water to make them peel easier. That's a tip. 

I prefer Starbucks coffee to Dunkin Donuts. And Dunkin's doughnuts really aren't that good either. 

I'm excited for winter. 
Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: Unpopular Opinions

• CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2018

Totally agree with you that Starbucks > Dunkin Donuts. 

On a related note, using "coffee" as a catch-all for anything you get at a coffee shop.  Nothing wrong with getting fancier stuff, but coffee is coffee.  Your mocha-frappe-sugary syrup-with whip cream and a tiny afterthought of espresso is not coffee. 

• I dislike eating at steakhouses.
    I like chains like Friday's, chili's, cr-applebees, etc.

• Oh, also. Zumba. Why? 
  • Casadena said:

On a related note, using "coffee" as a catch-all for anything you get at a coffee shop.  Nothing wrong with getting fancier stuff, but coffee is coffee.  Your mocha-frappe-sugary syrup-with whip cream and a tiny afterthought of espresso is not coffee. 

A friend and I had a similar discussion about sushi! How do you feel about "going out for sushi" and ordering nigiri or something like that? Or what about "let's have a beer"? I don't drink beer and "oh I'll meet your for a mixed drink" just sounds weird. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2018
    Casadena said:

A friend and I had a similar discussion about sushi! How do you feel about "going out for sushi" and ordering nigiri or something like that? Or what about "let's have a beer"? I don't drink beer and "oh I'll meet your for a mixed drink" just sounds weird. 

I guess those I've never really thought about!  I feel like I usually say something like "meet for a drink".  It's different in my mind because you're not going out of your way to proclaim you love beer when really you like something else. 

I get annoyed when people talk about how they can't live without their coffee and love it so much and can't function til they have their coffee, etc.  But really, you can even taste coffee in whatever they're drinking.  You don't like coffee!  Just say you really love latte's!  Or mocha-Frappuccino's!  Or hot frothy syrup milk!

If it doesn't taste like coffee it's not coffee.  Just one of those super-irrational things that always drives me crazy!

Edit: clarity

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2018

I could write a novel on this subject.  I sometimes wonder if I was supposed to be in an alternate universe, lol.

• Spending more than $150 on a cell phone.
    • Spending half the day on said cell phone (unless it's for work).
    • I don't like social media, though I occasionally dabble on FB.
    • I largely don't care about famous people in entertainment, ie celebrities, singers, sports stars.
    • Live music -- I find it annoying and boring, unless it is an artist I absolutely love and know all their songs.  I know.  I am very uncool, lol.
    • I don't like most reality tv shows.  Though 90-Day Fiance and tv court shows are my big exceptions to that.
    • I don't like malls now.  Though I did when I was a teenager/young adult.
    • Way too much sugar put in almost everything.
    • I like shopping at Wal-mart.
    • I like occasionally eating at McDonalds.
    • I'm also with @CharmedPam that I really like some chain restaurants. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2018
    Casadena said:

I guess those I've never really thought about!  I feel like I usually say something like "meet for a drink". 

I guess my annoyance is when people talk about how they need their coffee or can't function without it, or they LOVE coffee so much.  But really, you can even taste coffee in whatever they're drinking.  Just say you really love latte's!  Or mocha-Frappuccino's! 

Coffee is really delicious on it's own and it's one of those things that always drives me crazy, lol.

To my H, the only acceptable way to drink coffee is black, lol.  His comment for the kinds of coffee drinks you are describing is, "It's coffee! Not candy."

For more Starbucks hate, anything they have flavored is so nasty.  It has no coffee taste at all.  Instead, it just tastes like milk that someone dumped 1-2 cups of sugar in along with a tiny amount of whatever flavor it is supposed to be. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I could write a novel on this subject.  I sometimes wonder if I was supposed to be in an alternate universe, lol.

• Spending more than $150 on a cell phone.
    • Spending half the day on said cell phone (unless it's for work).
    • I don't like social media, though I occasionally dabble on FB.
    • I largely don't care about famous people in entertainment, ie celebrities, singers, sports stars.
    • Live music -- I find it annoying and boring, unless it is an artist I absolutely love and know all their songs.  I know.  I am very uncool, lol.
    • I don't like most reality tv shows.  Though 90-Day Fiance and tv court shows are my big exceptions to that.
    • I don't like malls now.  Though I did when I was a teenager/young adult.
    • Way too much sugar put in almost everything.
    • I like shopping at Wal-mart.
    • I like occasionally eating at McDonalds.
    • I'm also with @CharmedPam that I really like some chain restaurants. 
    Girl YESSSS to all the bolded. I'm hoping to not have to finance my next car, I sure as shit do not want to finance a freaking cell phone. 

I avoid malls at all costs. We have an outdoor outlet mall in this area with some good stores but it's always PACKED solid. I will set an alarm on a cold or rainy day so I can get in and out before the (literal) buses arrive. 

I'll go to a concert of a band I like, but like, going to a bar with some generic band of 50-somethings playing Bon Jovi? Yeah, no thanks. 
  • Or, bands or artists that don't sound good live.  I don't expect it to sound exactly like the album, but sorry Taylor - I don't want to hear you sing off-key and dance awkwardly for 3 hours even though I really like your songs.

• RuPaul is an asshole.

I can't think of one reality TV show I want to watch anymore.  I watch Big Brother every now and then b/c some of my favorite peeps have a watching group, but I'm seeking the people, not the show.

All of my unpopular opinions are related to queer life.  :smiley:
  • I don’t like wings. I think they are way too much effort to eat. I don’t want to work that hard for my food and get messy. Just give me boneless tenders tossed in buffalo sauce, thanks. 

I also prefer Starbucks but I also get the sugary stuff so....the only black coffee I can drink is the Lavazza Espresso I buy. It’s amazing and so smooth. 

I don’t like sushi or Thai food. 

Mountains > Beach (sacrilegious for a Southern Californian)

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I hate buffalo sauce and hate that it’s EVERYWHERE
  • edited August 2018
    I don't think wanting a hashtag for your wedding warrants an exclamation point, much less 2-3, in your request for assistance. 

I dislike Starbucks coffee, a lot. I can't even doctor it up with cream and sugar. The only items there I like are variations on mochas. 

Zumba is fun! That's why. 

Edit to add- any "news" article (looking at you, Buzzfeed) who says that someone "clapped back" at someone else. God, I really hate the term clap back. I wish there was a hack for clapping back while still being classy AF. 

• I hate socks.  I only wear them with boots (besides my fuzzy ones that I wear all.the.time in the winter) and if I have to wear athletic shoes.  And depending on the athletic shoe, I may not wear socks.  I live in all manner of flipflops in the summer. 

I don't mind a froufrou coffee drink once in awhile.  I've enjoyed the new cold foam cold brews at Sbux.  I drink my coffee black most days.  We are slightly coffee snobs and only buy our coffee from Trader Joe's or Costco or a local roaster that we like.  If we're *really* in a pinch, we'll buy Starbucks whole bean. 

I have no interest in any of the TLC reality shows, but I will watch the shit out of a lot of Bravo shows.  

I don't mind Walmart, either.  The kiddo works there and we have his discount card, so it makes it hard to pass up (only on gen merch, not groceries). 

Re: chains...when you're somewhere unfamiliar, it's a lot easier to go to Cracker Barrel, where you know what you're going to get and that it's going to be good, cheap, and filling vs. some artisinal breakfast place and rely on Yelp reviews.  Sometimes you're just not feeling that adventurous.  

I won't pay more than about $8 for a bottle of wine unless I have something fancy planned and most of the time, I try to spend $5 or less.  But I won't bat an eye spending $10+ on a 6-pack of craft beer.  
  • @LondonLisa reminded me of a real shocker of an UO I have.  I absolutely cannot stand leggings (for myself).  Everybody else finds them so comfortable.  I'm the opposite.  I think they are one of the most uncomfortable clothing items out there.  Only nylons and tights are worse, slightly.  All of those items are just too tight and form fitting on my legs.  I hate that feeling.

While I'm on the subject, I don't like jeans/most pants very much either.  They're usually uncomfortable because they're just not made for me.  I have heavier than average hips/thighs.  But a smaller than average waist.  Not so much referring to size, but to proportions.  So pants, especially jeans, are always too tight around my hips and thighs, but then my waist is absolutely swimming.  And if I get a bigger size so it is more comfortable for my hips/thighs, then the jeans just fall down 1-2" and are even worse.  If I have to wear a belt, it defeats the purpose of trying to be comfy/casual. 

So I spend my life in A-line skirts and dresses.  Which I like just fine and think are super comfy, lol.  Even lounging at home I have a collection of extra soft jersey-knit skirts.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I thought of another one, I hate cereal.   It's crap and unfulfilling, plus it gets soggy super fast and makes the milk so sweet and gross.  I didn't even enjoy it as a kid. 

My kids like it, but the kiddo doesn't usually eat in the morning (except on weekends when he rouses mid-morning to early afternoon) and DefConn eats peanut butter and jelly for breakfast 90% of the time (or eggs, if DH makes him some).   DH loves cereal...I don't get it at all. 
  • I hate being barefoot. Hate it. I have summer "slippers" at home (yoga type sandals) and regular slippers for the winter. I'm only barefoot when sleeping or showering. 
  • I hate being barefoot. Hate it. I have summer "slippers" at home (yoga type sandals) and regular slippers for the winter. I'm only barefoot when sleeping or showering. 
    I'm the complete opposite.  I am barefoot all the time.  I even workout barefoot, unless I'm lifting weights.  In the winter, I only put something on my feet once they're ice blocks.  ;)  
  • mrsconn23 said:
    I thought of another one, I hate cereal.   It's crap and unfulfilling, plus it gets soggy super fast and makes the milk so sweet and gross.  I didn't even enjoy it as a kid. 

My kids like it, but the kiddo doesn't usually eat in the morning (except on weekends when he rouses mid-morning to early afternoon) and DefConn eats peanut butter and jelly for breakfast 90% of the time (or eggs, if DH makes him some).   DH loves cereal...I don't get it at all. 
    Yes!! I hate cereal. H loves it and I just don’t understand. 
  • Okay, so, I know I'm not a parent so my opinion is invalid, but I'mma say it anyway.

I don't like the complaint that "kids should learn basic skills like checkbook balancing, what an APR is, etc" in school. Yes, children should definitely be learning these things, but why not from their parents? School should teach kids math and science and English and electives like art or languages that interest them. Why can't mom and dad teach their kid to budget or meal plan? Not everything a child learns needs to be from their teachers.

I'm sorry. 
    Don't be sorry.  I agree with you.  Also, a lot of schools offer that type of class as an elective nowadays.  

I will say that my parents expected me to learn by their example/osmosis, but never actually talked to me for real about money and salaries and whatnot.  My older sister had no issue figuring it out, but I struggled and didn't know how to ask for help.  DH's parents were a shitshow with money (well, his mom was).   They talked too much about money, but in all the wrong ways.   

We're working on it with the kiddo.  Some days, he's receptive and other days, we just fell off the turnip truck and there's no one dumber than us.  ;)  
  • Okay, so, I know I'm not a parent so my opinion is invalid, but I'mma say it anyway.

I don't like the complaint that "kids should learn basic skills like checkbook balancing, what an APR is, etc" in school. Yes, children should definitely be learning these things, but why not from their parents? School should teach kids math and science and English and electives like art or languages that interest them. Why can't mom and dad teach their kid to budget or meal plan? Not everything a child learns needs to be from their teachers.

I'm sorry. 
    I agree to a degree.

But some parents are either bad at this in the first place or they are just bad teachers when it comes to understanding an APR or calculating interest.

My parents' answer was "Don't get credit cards": A process that my have worked before that's how the world turned but the reality is that everything was shifting to plastic as I was in school.   I respected the answer of "If you can't afford it don't buy it" but they were SO old school that they didn't understand the concept of needing to build a credit rating.  

We'll certainly work on this with our kids too but I can understand the concept of having it added to classes. 

I'm sorry. 
    Also, these kids are not ever going to need to balance a checkbook. Checks are nearly dead now. This isn’t an essential skill. 
    Oh I agree with this completely, I was just using it as an example (and for me, usually the people bitching about this are the people who still use checks).
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Okay, so, I know I'm not a parent so my opinion is invalid, but I'mma say it anyway.

I'm sorry. 
    Don't be sorry.  I agree with you.  Also, a lot of schools offer that type of class as an elective nowadays.  

I will say that my parents expected me to learn by their example/osmosis, but never actually talked to me for real about money and salaries and whatnot.  My older sister had no issue figuring it out, but I struggled and didn't know how to ask for help.  DH's parents were a shitshow with money (well, his mom was).   They talked too much about money, but in all the wrong ways.   

We're working on it with the kiddo.  Some days, he's receptive and other days, we just fell off the turnip truck and there's no one dumber than us.  ;)  
    My parents didn't either, not did H's. I'm still trying to figure it out and I'd even love to take a seminar or class or even read a book on budgeting. And H, love him to bits but he has no idea how to even start with a budget.

Actually the only thing my mom taught me about money was probably the thing that has stuck with me the most - when I got my first job at 14 and wanted to buy stupid crap, she said "how many hours do you have to work to pay for that?". I think about that ALL THE TIME now. And I'm pissed at her because it's talked me out of buying a ton of crap I want but couldn't justify. Hell, I even thought about that with this wedding dress I wanted that was out of my budget. I remember telling myself that it'll cost me $400 per hour to wear it. Not worth it.

But I don't think it's fair to blame the public school system. 

I'm sorry. 
    Also, these kids are not ever going to need to balance a checkbook. Checks are nearly dead now. This isn’t an essential skill. 
    ALSO THIS!   

I can't tell you how hard I roll my eyes when I still see people writing checks for routine things like groceries.   

I use a checkbook for church donations (they don't allow you to give an account or CC# for donations), and for tips at the hair salon if I don't have cash (can't tip on the CC).   

• banana468 said:
    Okay, so, I know I'm not a parent so my opinion is invalid, but I'mma say it anyway.

I'm sorry. 
    I agree to a degree.

But some parents are either bad at this in the first place or they are just bad teachers when it comes to understanding an APR or calculating interest.

My parents' answer was "Don't get credit cards": A process that my have worked before that's how the world turned but the reality is that everything was shifting to plastic as I was in school.   I respected the answer of "If you can't afford it don't buy it" but they were SO old school that they didn't understand the concept of needing to build a credit rating.  

We'll certainly work on this with our kids too but I can understand the concept of having it added to classes. 
    Given the number of people in extreme debt due not to extenuating circumstances but actual poor choices, and other people who generally speaking cannot Adult, I really do think basic skills must be taught in school.

I learned what I needed to learn from my parents and consider myself fortunate. 

Was at the gym and overheard a young 20-something looking desk employee getting schooled by her coworker, a guy maybe only slightly older. He was saying, "You... haven't filed taxes?" Girl- "No, how do I do that? I thought it was just taken out of my paycheck." 

I learned how to file my taxes at 16! And you know how many self-employed people have no idea they have to even pay taxes?  In this gig economy, oh lord, people better be filing taxes...

While yes, learning to adult is the responsibility of parents, parents have utterly failed, generally speaking. School is place to pick up slack here until this societal ill can be somewhat resolved.  << end rant >>