Wedding Woes

Unpopular Opinions

Re: Unpopular Opinions

• 1. Breaking Bad was overrated
    2. Bananas are disgusting 
    3. I like the Kardashians 
    4. I don't think Beyonce is that talented 
    5. Dad bod over a ripped bod any day 

• I think Big Bang Theory is a really stupid show. I don't get how people are into it. 

THANK YOUUUUUUUU
  • 1. Breaking Bad was overrated
    2. Bananas are disgusting 
    3. I like the Kardashians 
    4. I don't think Beyonce is that talented 
    5. Dad bod over a ripped bod any day 

YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS - 1000% agree
  • The voluntourism thing is what made me so ragey this past semester. It is so fucking harmful to the local economy and people. And my teachers were so proud of themselves. Every time we talked about it and I stated why it was harmful my grade suffered. And even though it was nursing, they didn’t really go just to provide that care. They went to evangelize. They were going around telling people to wash their hands, to go buy soap. They were telling this to people who didn’t have access to clean drinking water, to people who had to walk for a day to reach the nearest store, who would have to spend a week’s worth of wages for a single fucking bar of soap. I nearly lost it. The sheer white Christian privilege of this semester nearly broke me. 

I guess I'm in the minority that would find a minor financial help course useful. We used to teach home economics as a course. Throw it in there. I can’t tell you how many people I know who don’t know how to clean or cook or repair simple things. My parents are rotten with money so expecting them to teach me wouldn’t have been a great option. 

UO: I don’t like baths. Bath tubs are more or less wasted space for me although I understand having them as part of home design. And I realize that when you have children they are necessary. But I don’t think I’ve taken a bath in over ten years. 

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2018
    @banana468, sorry.  Check writer here.  I understand ALL the talking points as to why credit is better/safer/has incentives, etc., and I do use it for large/major purchases.  However, on a day to day basis, checks keep me "in check" on my spending. It makes me NUTS when I see people "swipe" a $3 item!

If an item is less than $20, I use cash.  If it's over $20, then I'll write a check.  It keeps me honest and subconsciously helps me answer that question, "Do I really need/want this?"

ETA:   When writing a check, I tend to have most of it pre-written out with the exception of the amount. I do try to be considerate of lines and the people behind me. 

As an older gal, I hate when people ask me when I'm going to retire.  Is there anything wrong with enjoying what you do and not being in any hurry to stop?  **Disclosure.....work in a school, so plenty of time/days off to enjoy life in addition to working.
  • banana468 said:
     Plastic FTW! 

I don't even need my card on me now for many transactions.  I'm still getting used to Apple Pay, but I kind of love it.  I get irrationally irritated at places that don't have it.  ;) 

I wish there was an app that I could put my ID on (that merchants would accept as verified and validated).  I'd never have to dig for my wallet again. 
  • Ohhhh - 

6. Gender reveal parties are not cute

I have a crazy story on that.  My H had never heard of gender reveal parties.  On our recent flight out to CA, he was looking through one of those Sky Mall magazines.  And saw shotgun shells advertised that spew out a plume of pink or blue.  He didn't understand it.  I told him it was a twist for gender reveal parties and explained what those were.

And then we were mutually horrified at mixing "ammo and guns" with babies, smh.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • NBSquared2017NBSquared2017 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2018
    Ohhhh - 

6. Gender reveal parties are not cute

I have a crazy story on that.  My H had never heard of gender reveal parties.  On our recent flight out to CA, he was looking through one of those Sky Mall magazines.  And saw shotgun shells advertised that spew out a plume of pink or blue.  He didn't understand it.  I told him it was a twist for gender reveal parties and explained what those were.

And then we were mutually horrified at mixing "ammo and guns" with babies, smh.

Boots or bows?
    Touchdowns or tutus?
    Mustaches or makeup? 

Blech. 

There are some damn good male beauty influencers who can contour and highlight circles around me  :D
  • I don’t think your MLM campaign is a real
    job and I don’t think you’re a working mom hustling to pay the bills because you host a LuLaRoe party once a quarter. 
    LOL YESSS. And you are not "self-employed" or an "entrepreneur" unless you've got the MK pink Cadillac.  
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
    job and I don’t think you’re a working mom hustling to pay the bills because you host a LuLaRoe party once a quarter. 
    This...and Younique! 

I buy my mascara from a beauty or drug store, not the trunk of your car. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    I don’t think your MLM campaign is a real
    LOL YESSS. And you are not "self-employed" or an "entrepreneur" unless you've got the MK pink Cadillac.  
    Excuse me, the term is “mompreneur”  :D

@NBSquared2017 I totally agree with most of yours (all but the Kardashian one..well I don’t hate them but don’t like them either).  

I think parents and educators should combine to give kids “real life” lessons...unfortunately I can’t tell you how often Jan-Feb rolls around and I’m helping my HS seniors with FAFSA forms and the parents don’t have their shit in order.  So a lot of adults could use some kind of course too/not all parents are in the position to be teaching their kids.

Hmm...my jackass UO is that if your city has a population under, say, one million, I don’t consider it a real city.  My “you’re crazy” UO is that I don’t like the idea of medical/hormonal birth control and I’ve never been on any in my 15 years of having sex.  Guys pre-H wore condoms and H and I NFP.
    My light UO’s are I don’t like coffee, espresso, beer, any seafood and most meat.
    Does anyone outside of these cults think it is a real job? 

Theyre predatory scams that target vulnerable people like unemployed, new mums. I know so many people on Facebook that have orphaned MLM “businesses”.

I get so upset at these.
  • ei34ei34 member
    Oh and these aren’t UO’s I’m sure most would agree but a rant: like @ShesSoCold mentioned when something is described as a hack but it’s not, and all of the popular phrases (AF, goals, ___ broke/won the internet) all annoy me.
  • eileenrob said:

@NBSquared2017 I totally agree with most of yours (all but the Kardashian one..well I don’t hate them but don’t like them either).  

I think parents and educators should combine to give kids “real life” lessons...unfortunately I can’t tell you how often Jan-Feb rolls around and I’m helping my HS seniors with FAFSA forms and the parents don’t have their shit in order.  So a lot of adults could use some kind of course too/not all parents are in the position to be teaching their kids.

Hmm...my jackass UO is that if your city has a population under, say, one million, I don’t consider it a real city.  My “you’re crazy” UO is that I don’t like the idea of medical/hormonal birth control and I’ve never been on any in my 15 years of having sex.  Guys pre-H wore condoms and H and I NFP.
    My light UO’s are I don’t like coffee, espresso, beer, any seafood and most meat.

Gasp!  Do suburbs count?  (Please tell me suburbs count).

My own NOLA (proper) only has about 369K people.  But if you include all our suburbs, we are just at 1.2M.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ei34ei34 member
    edited August 2018
    eileenrob said:

My own NOLA (proper) only has about 369K people.  But if you include all our suburbs, we are just at 1.2M.

Yes I count suburbs if they fall under the well-known city’s jurisdiction.  Ex: when most people (including me) say NYC what they actually mean is Manhattan. But four other boroughs also combine to make up NYC. All five boroughs vote for the same mayor, schools in all five boroughs are closed when there’s a snow day, all residents pay the same city taxes, have the same police/fire/sanitation services, etc.  There are parts of the other four boroughs that are very suburban, and I’d count their residents towards the city’s population since they’re city residents.

Eta- and please take this ^ with a big grain of salt since it’s just my silly UO! :) 
  • eileenrob said:

Haha nope. BCP for life (or until we decide to have kids). I’m not buying a new pack of condoms every month when my insurance covers BC at 100%. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    eileenrob said:

Haha nope. BCP for life (or until we decide to have kids). I’m not buying a new pack of condoms every month when my insurance covers BC at 100%. 
    Yes! You’re totally in the majority and I know I’m in a weird 1% of people (which is why it seemed like the perfect unpopular opinion).  I’d like to add that I love the idea of BC for other people and it’s a shame that some people don’t have it covered by insurance.
  • eileenrob said:

Me too! I have the copper IUD (not on purpose because it's non-hormonal) and I miss the hormonal BC so much. When H gets snipped, I'm getting this thing ripped out and going back on the pill so I can control my skin and periods. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • eileenrob said:
    eileenrob said:

Yes I count suburbs if they fall under the well-known city’s jurisdiction.  Ex: when most people (including me) say NYC what they actually mean is Manhattan. But four other boroughs also combine to make up NYC. All five boroughs vote for the same mayor, schools in all five boroughs are closed when there’s a snow day, all residents pay the same city taxes, have the same police/fire/sanitation services, etc.  There are parts of the other four boroughs that are very suburban, and I’d count their residents towards the city’s population since they’re city residents.

Eta- and please take this ^ with a big grain of salt since it’s just my silly UO! :) 

I know :).  I was chuckling, "My own little New Orleans.  Not even a real city," lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ei34ei34 member
    eileenrob said:
    eileenrob said:

I know :).  I was chuckling, "My own little New Orleans.  Not even a real city," lol.

New Orleans is known around the world and adds so much culture, cuisine and history.  I consider it a city!  My population comment was silly...maybe I should change it to if your city has a sports team, an airport, a university and decent public transportation it’s a city...would that be better?  ;)
  • eileenrob said:
    eileenrob said:
    eileenrob said:

New Orleans is known around the world and adds so much culture, cuisine and history.  I consider it a city!  My population comment was silly...maybe I should change it to if your city has a sports team, an airport, a university and decent public transportation it’s a city...would that be better?  ;)
    LOL we used to make fun of my Indiana cousins (sorry, mrs.conn!) that Indiana isn't a real state because they don't have a baseball team. And I do the same to WI because they don't have a hockey team. 
  • eileenrob said:
    eileenrob said:
    eileenrob said:

This would make us in Buffalo a real city (although our public transit is pretty terrible except in downtown)!
  • I don't like country music. 

I think soccer is way more interesting than baseball or football. Rugby is even better. I should note I don't actually watch sports, but JFC baseball and basketball have to be the most boring things besides watching golf and fishing as sports.