Wedding Woes

Unpopular Opinions

Re: Unpopular Opinions

• So I just looked up Lularoe because we don't have it here. And all I have to say is:

Grown women wear this rubbish!?!?!?!? It's toddler clothes. I'm not even kidding, my 3 year old god daughter loves crazy print leggings and long sleeve tees to coordinate. I go to baby gap and stock up for her fairly regularly. This look exactly like that. I just bought her a pair of minnie mouse ones that I swear a 40 year old was pictured wearing on google images. Why do adults want to dress like babies? That is what the French always say about the Anglosphere and they are not wrong- especially here. 

I am so embarrassed for these people! And I love leggings/ athleisure. Blow me over with a feather when they come out with grown-ass women babygrows. 

Let alone reading how they sell this- you get a mystery box and then have to schill whatever they send you? 

A fool and their money...
    Yes well some of the Anglosphere would say the French collectively could do with lightening up and having some fun. They’re not my personal style but I don’t see anything wrong with people liking colorful leggings with fun patterns instead of black yoga pants. 
  • kvruns said:
    @londonlisa they have some weird prints like that. I did give in and buy some solid black ones and they are super comfortable - I love them in the winter. But I don't do the crazy print ones and I feel like I don't see people in them as much anymore
    Oh I didn’t realise they did solid leggings too. Thanks for explaining.

And I do respect that fashion is always different in different places so apologies for my initial reaction.
  • NBSquared2017NBSquared2017 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2018
    So I just looked up Lularoe because we don't have it here. And all I have to say is:

Grown women wear this rubbish!?!?!?!? It's toddler clothes. I'm not even kidding, my 3 year old god daughter loves crazy print leggings and long sleeve tees to coordinate. I go to baby gap and stock up for her fairly regularly. This look exactly like that. I just bought her a pair of minnie mouse ones that I swear a 40 year old was pictured wearing on google images. Why do adults want to dress like babies? That is what the French always say about the Anglosphere and they are not wrong- especially here. 

I am so embarrassed for these people! And I love leggings/ athleisure. Blow me over with a feather when they come out with grown-ass women babygrows. 

Let alone reading how they sell this- you get a mystery box and then have to schill whatever they send you? 

A fool and their money...
    Right. The company states you only need $5000 to start - but that does not include any leggings. How do you get customers without leggings? The next tier is $6500 and that comes with one size leggings then$9000 for all the leggings and there is an add-on of $2000 for all sizes and prints.

If have $11,000 to spare I'm investing that shit...and I am not going to invest that money in see-through leggings that look like they belong at Justice or Limited Too. 
  • I hate coffee, beer, watermelon and dry wine.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2018
    Okay, so, I know I'm not a parent so my opinion is invalid, but I'mma say it anyway.

I don't like the complaint that "kids should learn basic skills like checkbook balancing, what an APR is, etc" in school. Yes, children should definitely be learning these things, but why not from their parents? School should teach kids math and science and English and electives like art or languages that interest them. Why can't mom and dad teach their kid to budget or meal plan? Not everything a child learns needs to be from their teachers.

I'm sorry. 
    Parents don't always make good teachers for non-academic skills. Especially when they haven't been taught to do these things themselves.

As a CPA I get paid to do bookkeeping and tax returns for people who don't know how to do these things. And it shows. I just spent several days cleaning up the books of a client whom even my boss seems to believe is more trouble than her business is worth to his firm. She previously used a desktop version of QuickBooks to do her bookkeeping and payroll (many businesses do this) but decided she wanted to switch to the Online version "so she could have control" of the process (she already had it, but whatever). QuickBooks Online is the biggest piece of crap Intuit has ever produced and sure enough, she made a mess (in part by letting her college-age kid, who seems to know nothing about accounting or bookkeeping do the work). Complete BS. 
  • kvruns said:
    @londonlisa they have some weird prints like that. I did give in and buy some solid black ones and they are super comfortable - I love them in the winter. But I don't do the crazy print ones and I feel like I don't see people in them as much anymore
    Oh I didn’t realise they did solid leggings too. Thanks for explaining.

And I do respect that fashion is always different in different places so apologies for my initial reaction.
    I think solid colors were a relatively recent addition - it was mostly crazy prints for a long time and then they added solid colors. Plus they do shirts, dresses, and skirts now too. 
  • snip
    Right. The company states you only need $5000 to start - but that does not include any leggings. How do you get customers without leggings? The next tier is $6500 and that comes with one size leggings then$9000 for all the leggings and there is an add-on of $2000 for all sizes and prints.

If have $11,000 to spare I'm investing that shit...and I am not going to invest that money in see-through leggings that look like they belong at Justice or Limited Too. 
    I had no idea it cost that much to get started. I'd heard it was a lot of $$ upfront and you have no control over the items you get, but had no idea it was that much. I would have thought $5K to get started - but that would have included inventory. 
  • NBSquared2017NBSquared2017 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2018
    kvruns said:
    snip

I had no idea it cost that much to get started. I'd heard it was a lot of $$ upfront and you have no control over the items you get, but had no idea it was that much. I would have thought $5K to get started - but that would have included inventory. 
    These were the figures my high school friend told me about when she was trying to recruit me (this was almost a year ago), so it's possible that they could have changed. 

I was not aware that they sold other items, but the price points are so high that I rather go to a store or a website where I know I can get my money back if there are quality issues. 
  • Lularue has had a lot of investigative reporting done on how much of a scam it is lately.  I was trying to find the really good one I read from a legit newssource, but of course, I can't know.  It was Vice or WaPo, I think.

@NOLABridesmaid I also hated earbuds until K got me a pair that had 3 or 4 sizes to choose from.  I was able to put a medium in one ear and a small in the other and it was a tremendous improvement.  Then I lost them and I almost cried from disappointment.

One of my regular community complainers showed up, attacking a favored business with complainers normal MO of BS.  I talked them through the drama and it was handled well.  I prepped them for what he'd end up doing online.  He did and they were able to handle that too.  I'm getting really tired of keyboard warriors.
  • I don't like Target and I don't understand how 90% of the women in my age group are so obsessed with it. It's a more expensive, moderately cleaner looking WalMart. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • VarunaTT said:
    Lularue has had a lot of investigative reporting done on how much of a scam it is lately.  I was trying to find the really good one I read from a legit newssource, but of course, I can't know.  It was Vice or WaPo, I think.

@NOLABridesmaid I also hated earbuds until K got me a pair that had 3 or 4 sizes to choose from.  I was able to put a medium in one ear and a small in the other and it was a tremendous improvement.  Then I lost them and I almost cried from disappointment.

One of my regular community complainers showed up, attacking a favored business with complainers normal MO of BS.  I talked them through the drama and it was handled well.  I prepped them for what he'd end up doing online.  He did and they were able to handle that too.  I'm getting really tired of keyboard warriors.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lularoe-multi-level-marketing-women-clothing/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-04-27/thousands-of-women-say-lularoe-s-legging-empire-is-a-scam
  • I don't like Target and I don't understand how 90% of the women in my age group are so obsessed with it. It's a more expensive, moderately cleaner looking WalMart. 
    I generally find that their items are about the same in price, quality is better, layout is better and they treat their employees better. 

Near me they are around the corner from each other and I find that their store area is not nearly as great as Wal-Mart but other than that, they surpass Wal-Mart and I don't find that the interior depresses me. 

As far as Lularoe goes, I don't care if you like the clothing - that's personal taste.   My issue is that I need to shop YOUR selection of clothing vs. some online database.   If you don't have the pattern I wanted in my size I'm SOL.   I can't get behind that as a business model.   A maxi skirt or dress would be great but so often I just didn't like the patterns I saw.

Then I started to see the complaints online about the quality of the product and that made me happy I never bought anything. 
  • VarunaTT said:

I bought an uber cheap pair of bluetooth earbuds from Walmart and they have the option to change out the size.   I think they were $10-15.  They also have the thing that you can tuck into your ear to hold them in place or you can pull it out and have it sit on top of your ear (I put it in at first and then usually end up pulling it out if I have them on longer than an hour or so).  But for what I paid, they've been great. 
    • Cellphone apps
    • Whole Foods

I ran into that UO two-fer yesterday.  I really dislike having apps on my cellphone and am super stingy about it.  If I'm not going to use it at least 1-2x/month, it is not going on my phone.

And I am really sick and tired of every website/business out there shoving their apps at me. 

I stopped at Whole Foods on my way home.  Out of desperation, because I don't like their store.  We are all out of fresh food and I was too lazy to divert to a real grocery store.  But I drive right past a Whole Foods. 

I just wanted lettuce, but also did a quick cruise around the store.  I found an amazing price on pre-seasoned chicken breasts and grabbed those also.  Amazing price?  At Whole Foods?  Extremely surprising.

I get to the cashier but, apparently, the amazing price is only if you are an Amazon Prime member.  Never mind it didn't say that ANYWHERE on the packaging.  I am a Prime member and she tells me the only way I can get the discount is if I download either the Amazon or Whole Foods app and sign in with that Prime membership.  She even invited me to step aside while I did that.  I raised my eyebrows at her and explained I don't have those apps on my phone because I never use them, so I just won't bother buying the chicken.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2018
    Okay that is freaking ridiculous, S&S. WTF? You need an app to get a discount on chicken? Eff off, Whole Foods.

Also, I've never been to a Whole Foods. It just seems so pompous.

Edited because I'm not smart.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Okay that is freaking ridiculous, Charlotte. WTF? You need an app to get a discount on chicken? Eff off, Whole Foods.

Short+sassy, not Charlotte, lol.  But yes, that incident became yet another reason I side-eye that store.

It is really pompous.  The rumors are true, lol.  Very "enviro-friendly" this and "organic" that.  And I don't even believe most of that.  Not so much on Whole Foods part, but on manufacturers' parts.  But it sure gives them the excuse they want to charge 30%-200% more than normal grocery stores for the same/similar items.

This particular store is even worse than most of them.  For some reason, they built it tiny.  Even though the pre-existing building would have allowed them to build it a 1/3 bigger than it is.  And their hot food "by the pound" bar always looks so gross.  Like it's been sitting there under the heat lamps for hours.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • S+S I had something similar at Ikea though not an app. I went to buy something and it rang up higher, the guy is like you have to be part of the somethingsomething program to get that price. Apparently it was in fine print somewhere. So to get that price I had to get out of line, log into some kiosk and then go back. Since my mom was with me she rang her stuff up and I was back just in time to get back in line with her. The damn stuff still rang up higher than the sign though. I gave up.

At least at a normal grocery store or other place the sign up takes 2 seconds and usually it is pretty obvious on how to get the price difference. 
  • Okay that is freaking ridiculous, Charlotte. WTF? You need an app to get a discount on chicken? Eff off, Whole Foods.

Short+sassy, not Charlotte, lol.  But yes, that incident became yet another reason I side-eye that store.

It is really pompous.  The rumors are true, lol.  Very "enviro-friendly" this and "organic" that.  And I don't even believe most of that.  Not so much on Whole Foods part, but on manufacturers' parts.  But it sure gives them the excuse they want to charge 30%-200% more than normal grocery stores for the same/similar items.

This particular store is even worse than most of them.  For some reason, they built it tiny.  Even though the pre-existing building would have allowed them to build it a 1/3 bigger than it is.  And their hot food "by the pound" bar always looks so gross.  Like it's been sitting there under the heat lamps for hours.

Yeah, sorry. I must have seen Charlotte's avatar somewhere and went with it. LOL

And I agree with you on the manufacturers. Labeling your product as "organic" or "GMO free" when ALL of that product is organic or GMO free is total crap. 

Like last week I bought ground bison. All these packages have these huge "NO ADDED HORMONES OR ANTIBIOTICS!" labels and they're more expensive. The FDA prohibits hormones or antibiotics in bison, so you're not special. 
    • Cellphone apps
    • Whole Foods

I ran into that UO two-fer yesterday.  I really dislike having apps on my cellphone and am super stingy about it.  If I'm not going to use it at least 1-2x/month, it is not going on my phone.

And I am really sick and tired of every website/business out there shoving their apps at me. 

I stopped at Whole Foods on my way home.  Out of desperation, because I don't like their store.  We are all out of fresh food and I was too lazy to divert to a real grocery store.  But I drive right past a Whole Foods. 

I just wanted lettuce, but also did a quick cruise around the store.  I found an amazing price on pre-seasoned chicken breasts and grabbed those also.  Amazing price?  At Whole Foods?  Extremely surprising.

I get to the cashier but, apparently, the amazing price is only if you are an Amazon Prime member.  Never mind it didn't say that ANYWHERE on the packaging.  I am a Prime member and she tells me the only way I can get the discount is if I download either the Amazon or Whole Foods app and sign in with that Prime membership.  She even invited me to step aside while I did that.  I raised my eyebrows at her and explained I don't have those apps on my phone because I never use them, so I just won't bother buying the chicken.

1. This whole situation is really stupid. 
    2. I am THAT PERSON who will sign up for any rewards program (or download the app and immediately delete it) if it will save us even a little bit of money. It drives my H absolutely bonkers. 
    3. Even with all of that, I hate logging into 8 million things just to check out. Some restaurants by us have an app, and you just show the server before they bring your bill. No big deal. But logging into two apps in the checkout line (lookin' at you Target, before you merged Cartwheel & that other one) is a gigantic PITA. Just make shit cheaper. 
  • Okay that is freaking ridiculous, S&S. WTF? You need an app to get a discount on chicken? Eff off, Whole Foods.

I went for the first time a few weeks ago and they had really great croissants and baked goods. I’ve never shopped there as a regular grocery store option.

Out my way we have Wegman’s, which is the most amazing grocery store you’ll ever go to. The selection of items and customer service is unbelievable.  

It can get crowded, but I don't mind!

• levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2018
    *hangs head in shame* I love Whole Foods. They have all of the cheese.  

• At my previous company, we sold to Whole Foods, and they're insisting that everything be labeled GMO free by the end of 2018. It's ridiculous, honestly. So glad I'm not dealing with that right now! 

NB, Wegmans is The Best Ever. 
  • Okay that is freaking ridiculous, S&S. WTF? You need an app to get a discount on chicken? Eff off, Whole Foods.

I went for the first time a few weeks ago and they had really great croissants and baked goods. I’ve never shopped there as a regular grocery store option.

Out my way we have Wegman’s, which is the most amazing grocery store you’ll ever go to. The selection of items and customer service is unbelievable.  

I've heard of Wegman's, but have never seen one.

I think Winn-Dixie has the best weekly offers.  Always lots of BOGOs.  I think WD is mainly in the South.

But Publix is one of my all-time faves.  Their in-store food is fresh and great.  Their customer service is phenomenal.  But, alas, I've only seen them in FL.  My H and I were staying in Ft. Walton Beach, FL for a long weekend in May.  We stopped there for some groceries.  The employee who bagged my groceries offered to take them to my car for me.  I looked at her in complete wonderment and asked, "Really?  You all do that?"  Unbelievable!  Where I live, I'm lucky if an employee bags my groceries for me, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

I live deep in Wegmans country, like the very first store was opened in my area. I tell H all the time that I can't live anywhere that doesn't have a Wegmans because I'm that spoiled by a grocery store.

I live deep in Wegmans country, like the very first store was opened in my area. I tell H all the time that I can't live anywhere that doesn't have a Wegmans because I'm that spoiled by a grocery store.
    The three years we lived without Wegmans was terrible!

I've never even been to one and am now having a sense of loss, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

***STUCK***

Every once and a while H will go to a different grocery store and we can immediately tell the difference in regards to the cheese, bakery, and produce items. Aldi is our second go to grocery for produce and cheese only – I can’t buy meat from there…I just don’t know why. 

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Okay that is freaking ridiculous, S&S. WTF? You need an app to get a discount on chicken? Eff off, Whole Foods.

I've never even been to one and am now having a sense of loss, lol.
    I haven’t been either!  I’m suddenly jealous  :s
    My primary grocery store is Fairway, with visits to two Italian mom and pop grocery stores (D’Alessandro’s and Reali) once a week or so...I do a Trader Joe’s run about twice a month, and pop into Stop & Shop here and there too.  I’ve been to Whole Foods a couple of times but to grab a bite in the cafeteria area, not to grocery shop.
  • We recently got our first area Hy-Vee and it is a delight. They have the best Chinese food in town (I guess that doesn't say much for the Chinese food in town) and good quality, prices, customer service, etc. H and I went to a Publix once in FL but we've never been to a Wegman's.