Wedding Woes

Unpopular Opinions

123457»

Re: Unpopular Opinions

• I don't like most monkey species.  Especially chimpanzees.  They aren't a cute animal (to me) and it seems like they're often really mean.

H HATES monkeys, all monkeys. They freak him out because of all the stories about chimps and other monkey species attacking humans. 
    GAH there was a story a few years ago about a woman that was attacked by her friend's pet chimp. Forever traumatized. 
    If this is the story I’m thinking of, I tangentially knew the person the chimp belonged to. You just can’t leep a wild animal like that as a pet.

The only zoo I really like/approve of is the Safari Animal Park in San Diego. They have a huge area where the giraffes, gazelles, etc run freely. The animals actually look okay with their surroundings. I went to the LA Zoo maybe ten years ago and it made me sick. Lions in cages barely big enough to pace, let alone run. Otters in concrete pools smaller than the size of my parent’s swimming pool. It was awful and it felt voyeuristic and harmful to be there. 

• I don't like most monkey species.  Especially chimpanzees.  They aren't a cute animal (to me) and it seems like they're often really mean.

H HATES monkeys, all monkeys. They freak him out because of all the stories about chimps and other monkey species attacking humans. 
    GAH there was a story a few years ago about a woman that was attacked by her friend's pet chimp. Forever traumatized. 

The only zoo I really like/approve of is the Safari Animal Park in San Diego. They have a huge area where the giraffes, gazelles, etc run freely. The animals actually look okay with their surroundings. I went to the LA Zoo maybe ten years ago and it made me sick. Lions in cages barely big enough to pace, let alone run. Otters in concrete pools smaller than the size of my parent’s swimming pool. It was awful and it felt voyeuristic and harmful to be there. 

• @short+sassy, which Whole Foods? I live near one bit I usually shop at Ramdalls or Kroger instead. (Member of both.)

Wegman's is really neat. Was there once when some friends of mine in NJ just wanted to go because it's so amazing! I probably gained 12 lbs. just looking at their displays.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    re: zoos,
    A few years ago, the Detroit zoo gave away all their elephants to the aformentioned park in San Diego.
    Because they said their enclosure wasn't big enough.  that 100 years ago, when they didn't understand elephants, they thought it was, but in today's knowledge, it wasn't.
    So, no more elephants in MI zoos.
    I'm OK w/ that (although, I'd love for the kiddo to see an elephant more often.  Because, you know, seeing elephants!)
  • GBCK said:
    re: zoos,
    A few years ago, the Detroit zoo gave away all their elephants to the aformentioned park in San Diego.
    Because they said their enclosure wasn't big enough.  that 100 years ago, when they didn't understand elephants, they thought it was, but in today's knowledge, it wasn't.
    So, no more elephants in MI zoos.
    I'm OK w/ that (although, I'd love for the kiddo to see an elephant more often.  Because, you know, seeing elephants!)
    Buffalo just did this too; they couldn’t care for the aging elephants and sent them to a sanctuary, I think in SD. 
  • Jen4948 said:
    @short+sassy, which Whole Foods? I live near one bit I usually shop at Ramdalls or Kroger instead. (Member of both.)

Wegman's is really neat. Was there once when some friends of mine in NJ just wanted to go because it's so amazing! I probably gained 12 lbs. just looking at their displays.

I live in NOLA, not Houston.  But we're almost neighbors :).  FWIW, it's the one on Broad St.  It's 1-2 miles from the French Quarter, which is actually far enough away that you'll rarely see tourists there.  Besides, who wants to visit NOLA and go to a grocery store.  When there are fabulous restaurants everywhere to eat at, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sorry for accidentally spamming the board! I went from not being able to post to posting EVERYTHING several times haha
  • Sorry for accidentally spamming the board! I went from not being able to post to posting EVERYTHING several times haha
    Don’t worry, you’re not alone! 

• banana468 said:
    I don’t think your MLM campaign is a real
    job and I don’t think you’re a working mom hustling to pay the bills because you host a LuLaRoe party once a quarter. 
    Does anyone outside of these cults think it is a real job? 

Theyre predatory scams that target vulnerable people like unemployed, new mums. I know so many people on Facebook that have orphaned MLM “businesses”.

I get so upset at these.
    These annoy the shit out of me with their hard sell tactics.  Some of the products are fine -think of how many people used Tupperware in the 80s.   

But it's the aggressive "When can you have your party at your house to shake down your friends" bullshit that drives me nuts.

Of all the things it's one of the few where DH has come out to say that he hates them SO much he would never have one in his house and has asked that I promise to never do one.  

And as PPs said - All I get from people telling me that you have a new Mercedes due to Arbonne is that you have shaken down enough friends to profit off them.  Fine - that's great.   But please don't talk to me about being empowered on your own time while I work business hours. 
    Tupperware is my crack! I have some items that are 35 + years old!  I’m glad it’s hard to find, or I’d need to get a second job
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2018
    I’m not sure I can even find all the threads where my spamageddon occurred
  • krispy kreme is overrated
    I don't get the obsession. There are so many bakeries that are FANTASTIC! KK is just blech. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2018
    krispy kreme is overrated
    I don't get the obsession. There are so many bakeries that are FANTASTIC! KK is just blech. 
    You know what's not though?  gas station donuts.  WHY ARE THEY SO GOOD?!?

My H and I rarely go, but we picked up two dozen at KK last week.  I'm on their e-mail list and they had a coupon to get one dozen glazed free with the purchase of any other dozen.  It came out to be 2 dozen doughnuts for less than $10.

They're not the best doughnuts, but I think they're good.  With that recent purchase, I got one of their Cake Batter doughnuts.  It had a filling that tasted like cake batter.  What a brilliant idea, lol.  It was delicious.

As an aside, this is something I find confounding about NOLA.  Famous for our food.  We fry everything.  But the doughnuts here are awful.  There is only one local shop I've found that is good.  DD and KK, despite being chains, are substantially better than most of the mom-pop doughnut shops around here.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh that reminds me, I LOVE gas station pizza. Pilot/Flying J has the BEST pizza.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Oh that reminds me, I LOVE gas station pizza. Pilot/Flying J has the BEST pizza.
    I love gas station hot dogs and taquitos! 
    I love gas station hot dogs and taquitos! 

I used to manage a big Race Trac.  I don't know if this is still true but, when I worked there, the roller hot dogs were Nathan's.  We also had roller breakfast sausages from Bob Evans.  All of it...cheap and delicious, with all the fixings for the hot dogs at a handy condiment area.

In addition to the typical lunch taquitos, we also had breakfast taquitos in the morning.  Filled with either eggs/cheese/bacon or eggs/cheese/sausage.

We didn't sell pizza or fried chicken, but did have pepperoni calzones already oven-baked and hanging out in a heated box display.  They were good, not amazing, but were a great portion size for the price.

All I can say is, it was a good thing I got a lot of exercise in that job!  Way too easy to eat junk food all day and I really had to watch myself.  I still ate too much of it, but did manage to escape from there about 10 pounds lighter because I was on my foot and running around all day.  As opposed to 50 lbs heavier, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don’t know why, because I generally prefer good quality food, but those dumb chocolate glazed donnettes from the store get me. They’re objectively crap.

• levioosa said:
    I don’t know why, because I generally prefer good quality food, but those dumb chocolate glazed donnettes from the store get me. They’re objectively crap.

For me and my H, not the chocolate glazed ones, but their powdered sugar siblings.  We get a bag to split, every once in a great while.  But they definitely fall under the category of "everything bad, nothing good" for you, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

I’ve never forgotten that story (assuming we are thinking of the same one):

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/world/americas/17iht-chimp.1.20241928.html
  • eileenrob said:
    eileenrob said:
    eileenrob said:
    Excuse me, the term is “mompreneur”  :D

@NBSquared2017 I totally agree with most of yours (all but the Kardashian one..well I don’t hate them but don’t like them either).  

I think parents and educators should combine to give kids “real life” lessons...unfortunately I can’t tell you how often Jan-Feb rolls around and I’m helping my HS seniors with FAFSA forms and the parents don’t have their shit in order.  So a lot of adults could use some kind of course too/not all parents are in the position to be teaching their kids.

Hmm...my jackass UO is that if your city has a population under, say, one million, I don’t consider it a real city.  My “you’re crazy” UO is that I don’t like the idea of medical/hormonal birth control and I’ve never been on any in my 15 years of having sex.  Guys pre-H wore condoms and H and I NFP.
    My light UO’s are I don’t like coffee, espresso, beer, any seafood and most meat.

Gasp!  Do suburbs count?  (Please tell me suburbs count).

My own NOLA (proper) only has about 369K people.  But if you include all our suburbs, we are just at 1.2M.

Yes I count suburbs if they fall under the well-known city’s jurisdiction.  Ex: when most people (including me) say NYC what they actually mean is Manhattan. But four other boroughs also combine to make up NYC. All five boroughs vote for the same mayor, schools in all five boroughs are closed when there’s a snow day, all residents pay the same city taxes, have the same police/fire/sanitation services, etc.  There are parts of the other four boroughs that are very suburban, and I’d count their residents towards the city’s population since they’re city residents.

Eta- and please take this ^ with a big grain of salt since it’s just my silly UO! :) 

I know :).  I was chuckling, "My own little New Orleans.  Not even a real city," lol.

New Orleans is known around the world and adds so much culture, cuisine and history.  I consider it a city!  My population comment was silly...maybe I should change it to if your city has a sports team, an airport, a university and decent public transportation it’s a city...would that be better?  ;)
    LOL we used to make fun of my Indiana cousins (sorry, mrs.conn!) that Indiana isn't a real state because they don't have a baseball team. And I do the same to WI because they don't have a hockey team. 
    My mother doesn’t care about football at all and my father is a big Jets fav...she loves the remind him that New York’s true team is the Bills and he’s rooting for a Jersey team lol
  • mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:
    levioosa said:
    I actually really like Arbonne. It's one of the few MLM things I've tried that my skin actually responded well to. But I'm not shelling out $400 for a three step line. If it was more in line with stuff I purchased now (and it's not exactly like the stuff I purchase now is inexpensive), I'd actually consider buying it regularly. 
    I have nothing against some of these products.   I never owned but heard normal people rave about Lularoe leggings too.   

My gripe is with the techniques used to get me to buy them. 
    Also, MLM companies are known to operate in very shady ways and fuck over the people shilling their product. It's why it's always such a hard sell.  

I have some chick I barely know trying to shill me Nerium once a week in FB messenger. 
    I started a Beachbody program (the 2b mindset) on June 4th and I’ve lost 16lbs so far...and I barely feel like I’m sacrificing.  So I love the program.  I also semi-enjoy the Facebook group- lots of great recipes posted.  But you can totally tell who the beachbody coaches are with the constant posts about the shakes or the Beach Bars or the “want to maximize your results? Join my team!”.  So I agree that some of the MLM products are great while the employees can be super annoying.