Wedding Etiquette Forum

Friend has a gained an SO after invites went out.

2»

Re: Friend has a gained an SO after invites went out.

• The question is not whether the guest is dating someone; it's whether they socialize together. Do they attend events (like weddings) together? Do they jointly host when they are entertaining others?

If they socialize as a couple, then they should be invited as a couple. If not, then inviting both halves is merely a courtesy.

This has nothing to do with "defining the seriousness" of someone else's relationship for them; they are still defining the seriousness of the relationship by how they socialize.
  • LtPowers said:
    The question is not whether the guest is dating someone; it's whether they socialize together. Do they attend events (like weddings) together? Do they jointly host when they are entertaining others?

If they socialize as a couple, then they should be invited as a couple. If not, then inviting both halves is merely a courtesy.

This has nothing to do with "defining the seriousness" of someone else's relationship for them; they are still defining the seriousness of the relationship by how they socialize.
    If past behavior is the only requisite for future treatment that makes no sense.   I didn't go to any events with DH in his family yet they did the right thing and invited me ri a family wedding when we were together for 2 months.   

Don't give dumb advice.
  • LtPowers said:
    The question is not whether the guest is dating someone; it's whether they socialize together. Do they attend events (like weddings) together? Do they jointly host when they are entertaining others?

You always give the worst advice. Does the guest consider themselves to be in a relationship? If yes then they get invited with their significant other. Full stop. 

There have been times in my life where for various reasons Fi’s And my schedules haven’t coincided very well. And we both have different interests so sometimes we don’t host things together either. So it doesnt always look like we are “socializing” together. Putting aside what a ridiculous way that is to define someone else’s relationship, it’s also full of potential mistakes on the judging host’s side.