Wedding Woes

Tuesday!

If you celebrate, where you at on Christmas? 

I think we're in good shape.  Just a few more things to purchase.  I should be getting packages every day.  DefConn keeps coming up with last minute Christmas requests.  SMH

Of course, DH's family is a bunch of last minute larry's, so they are all messaging me and asking what my kids want for Christmas.  So at least there's somewhere for the aforementioned last minute requests to go.  ;)   I will say that being able to send the links to people so they get exactly what's asked for vs. writing a list and hoping they get the right thing is the best.  

Therapy today.  I tried to get DH to come with me, but he has to prep for his big end of year meeting with the company that contracts them.  DH works in logistics and his company is contracted to do logistics for other companies that don't want to do it themselves.  DH's works on a gov't contract for a major, well-known company.  

But that's OK, I have a lot to discuss on my own.  I do hope DH will come to my next session. He's open to it. 

We ran out last night to buy a new blind for our back door because the one we had was trashed.  We also picked up one last thing for FIL.  Lowe's currently has 60 packs of Rayovac AA and AAA batteries for $13, which is an amazing steal.  So if you need batteries in general or for Christmas presents...you may want to hit up Lowe's.  :D 

This week is getting our house in order to host BIL/SIL/nephews for the weekend (including baby-proofing, since baby nephew is now on the move) and then Christmas day.  

Re: Tuesday!

• My family doesn't exchange gifts, so we only have to worry about H's. We've got his siblings and dad covered, but he needs to come up with something for his stepmom, mom and stepdad. For MIL & SFIL, we have no idea. What do you get people who retired in their 40s and spend half their year in the islands? But that's H's department and I can only ask and remind so many times before I say fuck it and let him panic on Christmas Eve.

I can't remember if I told you guys or not, but like 2 months ago I was told that I would be taking on another agent at work. I currently manage the accounts for one agent. Another agent in another office's account manager was quitting and I'd take that position as well, working in each office a couple days a week. The woman who was quitting's last day should have been Friday. Since I have heard absolutely nothing, I asked about it yesterday. HR goes, "Oh Boss didn't tell you? She's not leaving now". Apparently it wasn't necessary to inform me of this. I'm pissed. I've been dicked around here and an afterthought since the day I started. I get that Boss has 68 other employees but FFS you can't even be bothered to tell me that my entire schedule, workload and pay isn't changing, after I was told it would be?!

I told H last night that he really needs to get off his ass and get our house ready to sell. I flat out told him "Get me out of here. I am going to lose it and nobody needs or can afford for me to have a breakdown right now". I hope he actually listened.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • @mrsconn23- I hope you have a good session today.

@shessocold- that's some bs! I hope you can get out soon.

I have two last things to buy for Christmas- a gift card for DH and candy bars for the kids. EVERYTHING IS WRAPPED EVEN!

Max turned SIX yesterday!  The teacher forgot to sing to him or send him to do the pledge.  He was bummed about that, but they sang to him at dinner (even though he was giving major side eye) and he loved his cards and gifts.

We have his party Saturday so I'm trying to bust out cleaning and grocery and stuff.  Guest count is currently at 35!

DH is struggling at work.  They are transitioning headquarters and it's not going well.  They have 2 week black out on purchasing and receiving.  He found out yesterday and it starts tomorrow.  They had a major incident and his boss wants to blame DH's operators.  3rd party investigations say operators did everything right, there was a break down in alarms and controls.  Boss still wants to blame operators so DH is battling with his boss this morning.

I have to research used cars for my boss' daughter.  I don't even buy the cars in our house! Our 3rd party people still haven't fixed their problem they just keep closing the case.  I keep reopening it.  They say "you entered this company." I say nope.  That company is in England and our territory is the US heartland.

• That is some bullshit @ShesSoCold

Researching cars for someone else would make me nervous @6fsn. I’m sorry about the bs with DH and his boss. 

More prepping for this Saturday today. There is so much to do it’s almost overwhelming. FI’s brother is supposed to come over today and I just am not feeling it. I have too much to do and I am not ready for the weird energy he brings around. 

We’re still not sure what we’re doing for Christmas. Part of me just wants to say fuck it and stay home. Holidays give me anxiety. 

• SSC, that's some BS. 

6, HOW IS MAX 6?!  ;)  That sucks that they forgot to do the special bday stuff at school.  I loved the bday singing side-eye.  
  • My last gift will be delivered today!  Then I need to go to the dollar store for stocking stuffers and get something for coworkers tomorrow.  That’s it!  No baking because I dont want that stuff near me... and we’re probably going to eat out on christmas day. 

ssc - companies do that all the time.  Up the responsibilities and dont pay up. Do you get annual reviews?  Definitely something to bring up during that.

we got some bad news yesterday.  They’re moving H’s home terminal 1 hr and 20 minutes North.  Expecting longer routes for everyone to work.  We hope it’s a rumor because where we live now, he wouldn’t make a work call in time.  There has GOT to be other coworkers in the same boat, living to far from the terminal.  Or people who purchased homes near the terminal and dont want to drive the 1 hr and 20 minutes and raise a stink.  I hope it doesn’t happen because we have no idea what we’d do.  

• UPS just updated that they're delivering DefConn's big gift between 2:15p and 6:15p tonight.  He gets off the bus at 4.  I hope it comes on the early end and/or is in an inconspicuous box.  
  • My last gift will be delivered today!  Then I need to go to the dollar store for stocking stuffers and get something for coworkers tomorrow.  That’s it!  No baking because I dont want that stuff near me... and we’re probably going to eat out on christmas day. 

ssc - companies do that all the time.  Up the responsibilities and dont pay up. Do you get annual reviews?  Definitely something to bring up during that.

we got some bad news yesterday.  They’re moving H’s home terminal 1 hr and 20 minutes North.  Expecting longer routes for everyone to work.  We hope it’s a rumor because where we live now, he wouldn’t make a work call in time.  There has GOT to be other coworkers in the same boat, living to far from the terminal.  Or people who purchased homes near the terminal and dont want to drive the 1 hr and 20 minutes and raise a stink.  I hope it doesn’t happen because we have no idea what we’d do.  

They actually didn't give me the responsibilities either. Which I wanted and I'm annoyed that I didn't get, but I'm more upset that nobody thought it would be necessary to fucking let me know. Last January was my 1 year anniversary here and I asked for a review, which I did not get. I got a raise, but no review. I highly doubt I'll get one this year. Those things are always put on the backburner and forgotten about. 

An hour and 20 minutes is HUGE! I hope it's a rumor too!

Am I nuts here? My friend is going to paint some shoes for me. I have to get the shoes. I'm looking at Bob's/Tom's styles and not sure exactly what I want. Would it be more weird for me to order 6 pairs of very similar shoes and have them shipped to my house and go to the store to return 5, or have them all shipped to the store, try them all on there and immediately return the 5? Or is ordering 6 pairs of shoes and returning 5 in itself nuts?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • mrsconn23 said:
    UPS just updated that they're delivering DefConn's big gift between 2:15p and 6:15p tonight.  He gets off the bus at 4.  I hope it comes on the early end and/or is in an inconspicuous box.  
    I have had a huge problem this year with objects coming in super obvious boxes. I mean, FI probably would have guessed the bow flex dumbbells by the weight even if it didn’t say BOWFLEX on the side, but still. And in my area stuff gets stolen so I really don’t need to advertise that I’m getting an instapot left on the porch. 

• @mrsconn23, I have so little to do for Christmas.  Yet, still haven't done it, lol.  My H and I don't exchange presents.  I need to get two Christmas cards, put checks in them, and mail them to my sister's house (presents for my niece and nephew).  I have some Christmas treats food shopping to do on Friday for me and my H.  But we already got our main items for Christmas dinner.

@ShesSoCold, That is really upsetting and disappointing!  I'm sorry to hear you had the rug pulled out from under you like that.  Especially without even an "oh, by the way..."

And what would I give to people who retired in their 40s and live half the year in the islands?  A coupon to trade lives, lol.

@6fsn, happy late b-day to Max!  Sorry it's a bad time at your H's work.  I hope things get smoothed out.  Good luck to you and @levioosa with the upcoming Christmas parties!

I watched Mon. night football last night.  My Saints were on.  At least they won, against a much worse team, but barely won and weren't looking good.  Harumph.

I knocked something I was worried about off my list!  I have a Citi Costco card that earns points throughout the year.  Which are then paid as a certificate that is like a Costco gift card.  I kept getting e-mails I needed to use my $62 certificate before the end of the year, because it expires.  I didn't know what I did with it.  I was worried they would need to send me a new one but I wouldn't receive it in time, etc., etc.

I logged into my account today to make a payment and noticed there was an option tab for rewards.  I clicked on the tab to see what I could do.  There's info that the certificate was e-mailed to me in Feb. of this year.  I do a quick search in my e-mail and ka-bam.  There it is, lol.  Phew!  So much easier than I thought it would be.  I still need to spend it!  But that's the fun part :).  I even put a reminder on my calendar for Fri., just to make sure I don't forget.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Besides the table lady, that's a bunch of YAY @VarunaTT:D 
  • I am TIRED.   

Pre-event stress coupled with the thought that at any moment I could hear my 4 yo vomiting screwed my sleep.   And during my insomnia I had this song stuck in my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6trGocstHI 

My boss sent me a Christmas gift yesterday which was super sweet.   I'm really touched.

I ordered two gifts for DH yesterday and one should be in before Christmas.   Now I need to get him a nice bottle of bourbon.   We still have my brother and his BF to get along with my parents but those can be tickets/gift cards so I'm less worried about them.   We finished the nieces and nephews last night.

Today the sick teachers were back at daycare and more kids were there.   I know that there's not a ton I can do if kiddo gets sick but I obsess over this stuff and it's like sitting in a rocking chair - it gets me NOWHERE. 
  • levioosa said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    UPS just updated that they're delivering DefConn's big gift between 2:15p and 6:15p tonight.  He gets off the bus at 4.  I hope it comes on the early end and/or is in an inconspicuous box.  
    I have had a huge problem this year with objects coming in super obvious boxes. I mean, FI probably would have guessed the bow flex dumbbells by the weight even if it didn’t say BOWFLEX on the side, but still. And in my area stuff gets stolen so I really don’t need to advertise that I’m getting an instapot left on the porch. 

When I ordered a microwave from Target, they literally put all the mailing stuff on the microwave box itself, smh.  Didn't even wrap it in brown paper or anything!  I was pretty stunned.  I'm just glad all the package porch thieves apparently weren't in the mood for a microwave this year.

I just discovered last week there is an Amazon pick-up location (in a Whole Foods) that I drive right past on my way home from work!  I am excited about that and am going to start using it for my Amazon purchases.  I've never had a package stolen, but it is something I worry about.  Plus, sometimes Amazon uses the US Postal service.  Which I have had a LOT of problems with. 

They don't even deliver my mail every day, anymore!  Oh no, that's nothing official.  The guy just f**king doesn't.  I have a service with the USPS where they e-mail me pics of the mail I am receiving that day.  So I can see when 3 days worth of mail is suddenly all put in my mailbox on the same day. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am so overwhelmed by Christmas. I think I’ve dramatically overshopped. There are boxes everywhere. Thank goodness tomorrow work eases into parties and the cleaning lady comes Friday. Haven’t even thought about what I’m cooking Christmas Day. Steak maybe? Duck? Any other ideas for 4 people who all want something fancy and special and me, their anointed cook who wants a relaxing day?
  • I am so overwhelmed by Christmas. I think I’ve dramatically overshopped. There are boxes everywhere. Thank goodness tomorrow work eases into parties and the cleaning lady comes Friday. Haven’t even thought about what I’m cooking Christmas Day. Steak maybe? Duck? Any other ideas for 4 people who all want something fancy and special and me, their anointed cook who wants a relaxing day?
    Can you do a roast?  A chicken is easy or pork or lamb?   For DH's birthday I often do roasted mustard crusted lamb rib roast. 
  • I accidentally saw my Christmas gift. Dh was in charge of the ps4 purchasing. He bought charging stations for the remotes. Then bought another set because he forgot about the first. I Looked o. My Best Buy account for a receipt and saw a kindle. I’m sure he was buying from there so I wouldn’t see it in my amazon account.  Bummer. 
  • My company Christmas party was Saturday and it was a BLAST.  I was super hungover all day Saturday bc we stayed up super late Friday drinking wine with my sister.  I was not at all in the mood to get fancy and social with work peeps but it ended up being awesome.  We had a really nice weekend hanging out with my sister before she went to my parents house for the rest of the week!

I am FINALLY done with all the Christmas shopping and finally understand why my mom got so sick of doing the stocking stuffer shopping for so long.  We have a $ limit per person but like to have around 10 things for everyone.  Some people are so easy, some are definitely not - but is just a lot for 6 people.  I have helped the last few years, but took over the coordination completely this year. 

One side of the family started doing a white elephant exchange so we both have bought presents for that.  My immediate family and H's moms side does a secret santa.  In his immediate family, the siblings draw names and we all get something together for H's parents.  We don't do specific gifts for each other but usually do something together like a spa day or concert/show tickets near the beginning of the year. 

We're traveling to my hometown this weekend for fake xmas eve and xmas morning festivities and then doing the same thing real xmas eve/xmas morning with H's family.  I'm off this Friday and don't come back to work til after New Years Day - I desperately need some chill time and I am so looking forward to it. 

@starmoon44 I love a good beef roast in the Dutch oven with veggies/broth over "fancy" mashed potatoes - cheddar, truffle, something like that.  It feels fancier than I normally make and is super easy to put together in the am - then just cooks for a few hours. 

SSC - that is complete BS that your company just "forgot" to tell you that your new job isn't happening.  I would be livid. 

Banana - I hope everyone stays healthy!!

Good luck to everyone hosting this year!

Steak always has a "fancier/special" feel to me, but is fairly quick and easy to prepare.  Especially if you pair it with a sauce like béarnaise, peppercorn or a flavored butter.  Though I'm not sure how time-consuming some of those sauces are to prepare.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Steak always has a "fancier/special" feel to me, but is fairly quick and easy to prepare.  Especially if you pair it with a sauce like béarnaise, peppercorn or a flavored butter.  Though I'm not sure how time-consuming some of those sauces are to prepare.

Flavored butter is so easy to make and always feels fancy to me too!  Just mix in herbs or a bit of fancy oil - I actually made a miso butter with steaks this weekend and it was AWESOME!  I didn't make this, but if you could do wasabi butter mashed potatoes with that it would be amazing.

• @STARMOON44- you cook. You decide. This is why Christmas Day we have taquitos, meatball sliders, pizza rolls, baked Brie, shrimp cocktail, chips and dip. All my favorite junk foods 
  • @STARMOON44, all the hugs for you. I’m sure this is a tough time after the year you’ve had. Take it easy on yourself. Do as much as you can, but I’m sure people love to be fed by you no matter what you make because you do sound like the hostess with the mostess. Much love. 
  • 6fsn said:
    @STARMOON44- you cook. You decide. This is why Christmas Day we have taquitos, meatball sliders, pizza rolls, baked Brie, shrimp cocktail, chips and dip. All my favorite junk foods 
    Yeah but I’m one of the four wanting something that feels fancy and traditional lol! But I think everyone’s suggestions of steak or a roast are right on point. Filet mignon it is (happily, I’m not in charge of paying for it!). And yesssssss. Shrimp cocktail. Which I can order from the fish market and not fuss over. 
  • The thing I like about a roast is the pop in oven walk away aspect.   I love steak but it's a little more hands-on.   

if you can do something like a twice baked potato that's also a pop in oven item and you can walk away.

• Steak, shrimp cocktail and that dessert sounds lovely!  If you wanted to do twice baked potatoes they freeze really well. I’ll do a bunch at once just to have a simple side
  • Oops!  I read it wrong, ssc.  I guess I was reading to fast this morning.  Lol

package theives are the reason why i have to go home today and bring the package in since I wont be going home straight after work.  I mean its a mug with our last name etched in it....so I don’t know how useful it will be to someone else.

can I come to some of your guys’ house on christmas?  Besides the shrimp cocktail (yuck!) it all sounds good

• Oops!  I read it wrong, ssc.  I guess I was reading to fast this morning.  Lol

package theives are the reason why i have to go home today and bring the package in since I wont be going home straight after work.  I mean its a mug with our last name etched in it....so I don’t know how useful it will be to someone else.

can I come to some of your guys’ house on christmas?  Besides the shrimp cocktail (yuck!) it all sounds good
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this
  •  Starmoon - I have done this recipe https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/97621/foolproof-rib-roast/photos/792951/ and it comes out amazing!  I buy a variety of fresh herbs, cut them up small and make a paste with Olive oil and fresh garlic, salt, pepper.  I put the herb paste all over the meat prior to cooking.  I also precut the meat off the bones, so its easier to carve at the end, but cook it whole.  So I just take the roast off the bones before slicing once it is cooked.  It really is, set it and forget it! 

SSC - That is some BS, even if the Boss didn't tell you, HR should have been more on the ball.

Pam - an hour and 20 minutes north is also some BS!  Basically they are asking their entire workforce to move, right?  Since I'm taking it that your H is a place where workers are on-call and need to be close by...

We are in good shape for Christmas too.  I think there may be 2 more gift cards to get, but we haven't decided on if we will buy those 2 couples more yet.  And almost everything is wrapped.  Just a few more items to go.  We just bought a big thing of Amazon basic batteries for my BFFs kids' present and then I go into Shoprite and see a huge pack on clearance for $5!  Grr!

Speaking of shoprite, H and I decided on making ribs for Christmas Eve dinner with his family. They had a good price on them.  We also do something easy, since the 7 fishes dinner takes a lot of work and like last year, will be the day before Christmas Eve this year.  So that is now 2 days in a row for me hosting.  Ribs are really set and forget too.  I will wrap each half rack in aluminum foil after using a rib rub, then in the oven for 4 hours on a low temp.  Probably just have some corn bread for a side and that's it!  I will also do leftover desserts.

• In theory I'm done with Christmas shopping, and have been for a while, but I have no desire to wrap. I also have to decide which things are for DH Christmas vs. Birthday and same with my niece (I kept finding good deals on stuff for her so I'm saving half for her birthday). I'd like to get one more thing for my dad but I have no idea what so he's probably just getting the Nike shirt I got him and calling it a day.

Need to drop off daycare teacher gifts but baby B was such a monster this morning I knew I couldn't bring them in (he would want to help carry and probably destroy them because he was in a mood). I might just do daycare pickup tonight instead of my H so I can drop them off that way. 
  • @STARMOON44 another vote for a beef roast (I like a dry rub of salt, black and pink peppercorns) with some quartered potatoes tossed with olive oil, rosemary and sage underneath.  Don’t go too crazy, holidays after a loss are always a lot, sending good vibes.  
    Ugh I’d be annoyed @ShesSoCold and @CharmedPam yikes an hour and 20 minutes! Good luck!

Im pretty much done with shopping.  Definitely some wrapping to do tonight, and assembling gift bags.  I’m sending my kids’ teachers gifts in tomorrow, as opposed to Friday.  Just go have something crossed off the list lol.