Wedding Woes

Almost Friday!

Re: Almost Friday!

• I'm glad you passed too! That's one of my totally irrational anxieties - that I'll have to take a test when I renew my license. I used to drive passed like 2 DMVs to get to the "Express" one that only does renewals, so there's no way for them to do a surprise test. I heard rumors that the DMVs will pick like a random day or letter and if that's your DOB or your name, you have to take a test. I doubt it, but it still freaks me out. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • eileenrob said:
    Heard from my dad.  My mom’s three tumors are all on the surface of her bladder.  As opposed to being deeper.  Which is good.  She has a surgery date for next Tues 1/29.  Also good.  She’s in pre-op now they’re doing some stuff today.  She and my dad both seem optimistic in the immediate family group chat so my siblings and I are following their lead. 

That's great to hear!  Sending lots of well wishes to her.

And good luck on the potential job.  Now I'm fantasizing about how awesome it would be to only work 3 days/week, lol.

A few years ago, when times were tough at my job, the Big Boss and I were discussing the outlook of our projects.  In a nutshell, that he was going to really need me in 4-6 months, but we needed to strategize about other roles I could pick up in the meantime.  I actually offered to go p/t temporarily.  Which, secretly, I would have LOVED even if it was less money.  He said he'd think about that and thanked me for offering, but said the company wasn't that keen on having p/t employees.  Oh well.

Instead, I also started doing work for the Doc Control dept.  It saved my job so I was very grateful.  But I did not like it there and was glad that sojourn was brief, lol!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Happy Birthday @mrsconn23!

@ShesSoCold Congrats!  I was picturing SATC too.

@eileenrob - glad to hear about your mom and the job!  I have a friend who has  been stuck in a charter for over 10 years now, poor thing!  

Day two of Lay-Off Gate and still nothing.  So annoying.
  • @eileenrob sending good vibes to your mom, you, & your dad!!
  • @eileenrob - thinking of you all!

you guys are awesome with the suggestions.  I used MFP a looong time ago in college and totally forgot about it.  I feel like I remember it not having the most accurate inputs, but overall is pretty good for tracking in general terms - maybe it's gotten better. I definitely would think about WW and it seems like they have deals all the time.  I've never done the 21 day fix meal plan/system but will definitely look into it! 

I actually did really well with the Whole30 that I did a few months ago, so I know I CAN make good choices but cutting out all grain and dairy and gluten and sugar is just not sustainable in the long term (for me at least).  I think having a specific end date really helped and I'm just looking for ways to kind of stay in the mindset long term without being so restrictive.

Do you all do a lot of meal/menu planning or meal prep stuff?  Does it help?  I generally bring my own lunch and will either have prior night leftovers or make up a salad or something.  But not usually thinking like full week of meals. 

• Update:  Laid off effective next Thursday.  Friend/Boss and I are leaving early and getting drunk.
  • Oh no Kimmi I'm so sorry. Hugs.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Kimmi that sucks - I'm sorry
  • @Casadena I meal plan for dinners during the week. I find it helps H and I from going out to eat as often (though we still go out about once a week), plus it provides H with leftovers for lunch the next. I very rarely do anything out of a box or already prepared, and try to keep it on the healthier side. We also don't keep any snacks or junk food in the house because H and I have very little self-control when it comes to those things so it's easier to keep it out of the house all together.

I've tried meal prepping on the weekends so I have lunches for the week but I end up getting bored two days in and waste a lot. Lunch has been my biggest downfall since I've stopped logging with MFP because everyone in my office goes out to lunch and it's hard to say no. 
  • @Casadena I meal plan and meal prep but more from the organizational point of view - the kids and I get in around 3 and it’s lifesaving to have cut up veggies on small plates for them to snack on the minute we walk in and they announce they’re hungry, and to have dinner ingredients ready to go (on a good day...on a crazier day it’s nice to just know what I’m making).  I do also prep lunches before work and it’s been an incredible change as far as quality of food I’m consuming. And going into the grocery store knowing exactly what I’m making the following week cuts my bill by a good $20, which is awesome 
  • cupcait927cupcait927 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2019
    @mrsmitten I'm so sorry, that sucks big time. Even when you know it's coming, it doesn't make it any easier.

@eileenrob Between meal planning all of our dinners and Walmart grocery pickup (Wegmans here really needs to get on that train), I've saved so much money on our grocery bills. I'm very good at sticking to my list, but if I bring H with me, we inevitably end up buying crap we don't need and spending an extra $20-$30.
  • @mrsmitten I'm so sorry, that sucks big time. Even when you know it's coming, it doesn't make it any easier.

@eileenrob Between meal planning all of our dinners and Walmart grocery pickup (Wegmans here really needs to get on that train), I've saved so much money on our grocery bills. I'm very good at sticking to my list, but if I bring H with me, we inevitably end up buying crap we don't need and spending an extra $20-$30.
    Omg H isn’t allowed to step foot in the store!  The bill is $30-50 more and it’s all Poptarts, Cheetos, hot pockets, sugary cereal, Entemann’s...just, no.  And it reaches to the kids! They love yogurt and I’ve got them eating Siggi’s (twice as much protein than sugar)...one trip with daddy and Paw Patrol Watermelon Wave/Bizarre Berry flavor yogurt was all they wanted for two months  :D
  • @eileenrob that sounds like good news. Glad they feel optimistic. 

@mrsmitten. I’m so sorry. That sucks!

I plan breakfast and lunch for me. Everyone else is on their own for that. I keep healthy snacks around and make sure there are some kid snacks too:). They take snacks to school that I keep in their bins then I make after school snacks and keep the refrigerator drawer stocked.

I meal plan every dinner too. It’s the only way I can feed us without resorting to a drive thru every night 
  • mrsmitten said:
    Update:  Laid off effective next Thursday.  Friend/Boss and I are leaving early and getting drunk.
    That super sucks, I’m sorry! Is friend/boss laid off, too?
  • @eileenrob - So glad to hear the tumors are on the surface.  After surgery she'll likely have re-checks every 3 months.  If things continue to be clear after several of those checks, she'll go every 6 months and then yearly.  Thoughts and prayers for her and your family!

Happy Belated Birthday @mrsconn23!

Kudos to those of you who can wear dresses from your teenage years.  My wedding dress is too big for me now so I guess that's a plus :-)

I facilitate an orientation at my job.  It's a 2 week orientation and the last day is tomorrow.  I love it but it is exhausting.  Can't wait for it to be done tomorrow and then I have a 6-week lull until the next one.  

• Oh no @mrsmitten!  Go get your drink on.  

Sounds positive all around @eileenrob<3 
  • mrsmitten said:
    Update:  Laid off effective next Thursday.  Friend/Boss and I are leaving early and getting drunk.

Lame!  I'm so sorry.  Drunken night sounds like a great plan.

I hope this ends up to be a door opening for something even better.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsmitten said:
    That super sucks, I’m sorry! Is friend/boss laid off, too?
    No. Someone has to do everyone else’s job for the next two months 🙄. 

Thanks for the well wishes and encouragement. It’s only been an hour and I’m already an emotional rollercoaster!  To the tequila!
  • Ugh, I'm so sorry @mrsmitten
  • I’m so sorry Kimmi. 

• I'm sorry @mrsmitten. I hope you're enjoying a very strong beverage right now. 
  • Nooooooooo...I just got a 30-day notice from one of our tenants.  They have been dream tenants and I hate seeing them go.  They warned us a few months ago they were planning to move to CO, but weren't sure when.  I was hoping it was just talk.  But apparently not :(.

Ugh, it's also incredibly bad timing.  For this particular area, most potential tenants are on Section 8.  Except, because of the gov't. shutdown, I don't think I'd be able to accept someone on S8 until the local agency that administers the program is back working.  I'll double check it, but I'm almost positive that's the deal.  I hate the uncertainty of finding new tenants, it's my least favorite part of being a landlady.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I’m so sorry @mrsmitten! That really sucks. I hope you find something better soon.

That’s great news @eileenrob. Healing vibes continuing!

Sending healing vibes for Babypants, @sparklepants41! Hope you’re not getting sick too!

Sending healing vibes for you, @levioosa!

Happy belated birthday @mrsconn23!

DW said “Hell no,” to the airBnB idea. So we now have two options:

1. Use upstairs as a guest room and the spare bedroom as a study/craft room. Pros: No need to move furniture and upstairs has its own bathroom. Cons: We have guests so rarely that the space would be empty most of the time.
    2. Switch out the spare bed and the futon and use upstairs as a study/craft room and the spare bedroom as a guest room. Pros: More space to put all our paperwork, our computers, and my art and craft stuff. Cons: We have to move furniture.

Nice productive day at work today—no emergencies for the first time in months! There was actually a little daylight left when I got home. I took Mutt out for a walk (he thinks snow is the best thing ever, so that was fun) and grabbed a quick bite to eat. Now I’m trying to decide if I want to go back out or not. There’s a talk at the library about the history of American military interventions and how to balance military action with foreign policy. It sounds really interesting, but I’m so comfortable right now that I’m not sure I want to get back on the bus and head to the library. Plus I have stuff I have to do here at home.

Edited to add: I’m definitely going to do stuff at home instead. I have some writing I want to tinker with, and I really need to get ready for my book club discussion on Saturday.
    I’m always so amazed at your energy to do really interesting things after work. 

Today I came home, made/ate dinner, and googled how to move a piano. That’s it. 
  • I’m so sorry @mrsmitten! That really sucks. I hope you find something better soon.

Sending healing vibes for Babypants, @sparklepants41! Hope you’re not getting sick too!

1. Use upstairs as a guest room and the spare bedroom as a study/craft room. Pros: No need to move furniture and upstairs has its own bathroom. Cons: We have guests so rarely that the space would be empty most of the time.
    2. Switch out the spare bed and the futon and use upstairs as a study/craft room and the spare bedroom as a guest room. Pros: More space to put all our paperwork, our computers, and my art and craft stuff. Cons: We have to move furniture.

Nice productive day at work today—no emergencies for the first time in months! There was actually a little daylight left when I got home. I took Mutt out for a walk (he thinks snow is the best thing ever, so that was fun) and grabbed a quick bite to eat. Now I’m trying to decide if I want to go back out or not. There’s a talk at the library about the history of American military interventions and how to balance military action with foreign policy. It sounds really interesting, but I’m so comfortable right now that I’m not sure I want to get back on the bus and head to the library. Plus I have stuff I have to do here at home.

Edited to add: I’m definitely going to do stuff at home instead. I have some writing I want to tinker with, and I really need to get ready for my book club discussion on Saturday.

What is the best way to move a piano?
  • Sorry Kimmi!  I hope you can find something quick!

Carefully and slowly is about all I’ve got so far!
  • DW just told me that my meatloaf is better than MIL’s. I’m a vegetarian and haven’t tried MIL’s cooking yet, so I’ll have to take her word for it.

Carefully and slowly is about all I’ve got so far!
    My ex H actually worked for a piano moving company while we were together. It's a very technical process!