Wedding Woes

New moon on Monday...

short+sassyshort+sassy member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited January 2019 in Wedding Woes

...and a fire dance through the night.

Some Duran Duran 80's love to start the week for us.

Got errands done on Friday.  Returned purchases to Old Navy, but was too late to get my money back.  Funny enough, they gave me store credit for more than what my original purchase had been because I'd bought most of the items on an online sale.

Saturday was relaxing.

Sunday was going out to breakfast at IHOP, they were slow and slightly dysfunctional as usual.  Then a quick trip to Home Depot and back home again to lounge.

Thinking about @CharmedPam's post on eating out...I'm planning to have Chinese food delivered for my lunch at work today, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: New moon on Monday...

• We got 6" of snow overnight and it's still coming down.  Expecting up to 10" total.  The bus was running and on time so I'm at work.  

Had a very low key weekend and never left the house.  Cleared off the DVR and finished the current season of The Ranch on Netflix.  

Our temperatures this week are the coldest we've seen in decades.  A high of -20 on Wednesday with a low of -32.  Add in the wind and it'll be dangerous to be outside.  But then high of +33 this weekend.  Our weather is crazy this week.
  • Went up to visit IL’s this weekend for FMIL’s birthday. It went okay. We did a lot of walking which was nice. For some reason I was exhausted on Saturday and I passed out at 9 which is unheard of for me. Today I have clinic. I still feel exhausted so we’ll see if I make it the whole day or just part of the day. Plus I’m still not quite over whatever I had. 

• I'm one of about 4 ppl on my entire floor at work today.  The roads were awful, but H is working from home most of the day and I'd much prefer to be in the office since we're only a few miles away.   All my meetings did get cancelled which kind of stinks, but it's quite and chill so that's ok. 

The concert we went to on Friday was AMAZING - definitely in my top 3 ever(Tedeschi Trucks Band if anyone is a fan).  Other than that I only left the house this weekend for about 20 minutes, it was awesome.  We did a lot of cleaning and organizing and got the Xmas stuff down finally :)

Not looking forward to -55 temps on Wednesday.

• Had my company dinner on Friday, which was a lot of fun. Other than that, it was a quiet weekend. Ran errands, and did some housework and cuddled with the dogs. 
  • Friday night was Cirque de Soleil!  My 10 yo ate an adult burger and fries before the show and cleaned up M2's mac and cheese.  He ate more than my husband!  The show was great.  The boys probably would have preferred one of the shows that was just acrobatics, but M2 was IN LOVE.

Saturday am nothing much.  6let had a futsal game.  The parent that called me on NYE to bitch about something got in my ear again.  I had to walk away.  He was talking politics of 10 yo sports and got into how his workplace was touting that 40% of the board was women, but there aren't 40% of women in the workforce.  He was talking about how he started coaching at 15 and never loses this much, nobody passes to his kid, blah, blah.

Saturday night we made homemade pizza and watched movies.

Sunday church, haircuts, laundry, gymnastics, work.

I'm gearing up for school to get cancelled Wednesday.  The high is 0 and that doesn't factor windchill.  District policy is loosely -15 with windchill.  The principal is trying to figure out if there will still be conferences if school is cancelled so she must be thinking it too.

Sports stuff ahead:
    - At goleiro training (that's futsal for keeper.  I finally learned how to spell it so I'm using it!) The director made a big point to introduce me to the new goleiro coach.  He said 6let was one to watch and said he was glad we were doing ID this weekend.

- The one thing the ranting dad did say was "Everyone knows your kid is better than the other keeper.  Other keeper is only on academy because it's his dad's team." I told him we didn't try out for academy so that's not why the other kid got that play time.  6let gets as much time in goal as the other kid.  I'm 100% sure the dad was not intending to pay 6let a complement, but after 2 different tongue lashings from this guy it's what I'm choosing to take from it.

- We played against 6let's outdoor team.  We haven't seen them since November.  One parent ( a college coach) said he thought 6let was good before, but he's even better now. 

Apparently I had a lot to say today!

• MNNEBride said:
    We got 6" of snow overnight and it's still coming down.  Expecting up to 10" total.  The bus was running and on time so I'm at work.  

Had a very low key weekend and never left the house.  Cleared off the DVR and finished the current season of The Ranch on Netflix.  

Our temperatures this week are the coldest we've seen in decades.  A high of -20 on Wednesday with a low of -32.  Add in the wind and it'll be dangerous to be outside.  But then high of +33 this weekend.  Our weather is crazy this week.

I was just reading that on weather.com.  That some places will have the coldest temps seen in 25 years.  Yikes. 

For me further south, it's going to be colder than usual tomorrow for the end of Jan., but it probably won't even be record breaking for the day.  We won't have the crazy temp. spread you do.  But it will be about 30 degrees warmer later in the week.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Friday, we went out shopping for DH's bday party stuff. 

Saturday, we woke up and went to get donuts for breakfast and then got stuff done around the house until BIL came over.  DH, BIL, FIL, and a bunch of other people went shooting.  I did more party prep.  People started showing up a little after 5.  We had a great time.  Played a lot of cards against humanity.  We had a good crowd of people.

Yesterday, we woke up and did breakfast.  DH and I watched more Game of Thrones (he's rewatching the series in anticipation of the final season, I don't have that kind of commitment...but I'll watch here and there with him). We went to my parent's for dinner and bday celebrating.  I watched Rent last night.  ;) 

Poor DefConn crashed late yesterday afternoon and was burning up at 3am.  He said his throat was 'itchy', so I hauled him in.  Just viral, of course.  He's doing all right as long as ibuprofen/tylenol is in his system.  

Last week there were some realignments announced for our dept.  It's definitely going to mean changes for our team (mostly who/where report to).  I'm a little apprehensive about it, but we'll just have to wait and see. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited January 2019
    Ugh yes!  Chicago is bracing for the coldest temp ever recorded in history on Wednesday.  I’m WFH and it’s actually busy and I hate working from my laptop but grateful I don’t have to leave. 

in fact I was watching the weather and it said it was going to snow Friday.  So we changed our flght to louisville, 5 hrs south.  It only costs $90 more for the car rental and whatever hotel we decide to stay in.  Well today i woke up and the snow is off the radar.  Can’t change them back and now I gotta use another vacation day.  I have so very few to play with.

6, glad 6let is getting better.  Out aside what other parents are saying and just do you!

• I'm already braced for school to be canceled Weds.  I actually need to go put gas in my car because it's at less than a quarter tank.  I don't think it will freeze in the garage, but I'd rather not find out.  ;) 

My sister's district is all walkers and no buses, so I know they won't have school Weds. 
  • @MNNEBride those temperatures have me breathing into a paper bag! @mrsconn23i watch GoT like that too, kind of paying attention if H has it on.  (And full attention during Jon Snow scenes.) 

Weekend was a good mix of errands and down time, plus a function at the kids’ school immediately following Sunday mass.  Lots of baking.  This is a heavy week in terms of a few different big things happening, so I’ve been trying to plan ahead as much as possible.
  • Weekend was good.  Saturday, we got some things done around the house.  Then BIL/SIL came over to babysit DD while H and I had date night.  We went to church and then in the car to the restaurant we put in for call ahead seating at Texas Roadhouse.  At 5:30 PM it was at 85-95 minutes!  We would have gone elsewhere, but we had enough gift cards to cover our meal with bigger/better steaks!  So we stayed the course.  We were able to find seats in the lobby before you go into the restaurant, so it was cold, but at least we had seats!  We finally got our booth around 7 PM.  So by the time we made it to the virtual reality place, they also had an hour wait!  So we left and went home.  That will be another date night for another time!  I think we would have hung in there, if it was less than an hour.  We were also still so full from dinner, we didn't do our back up plan of drinks/desserts anywhere!

Sunday was dinner at our house for SILs birthday.  I did a beef cube stew of sorts in the instant pot, but the damn thing kept giving me a burn notice.  I tried more liquid, scraping the bottom of the pot and nothing seemed to work.  But the beef got cooked through and was a little tender, at least.  Not my best work.  At the same time, H attempted the chocolate icing, while I was doing battle with the IP.  Something happened and it was a pool of milk at the bottom and refused to mix and further!  So I had to start on the icing all over again.  My scraping blade for my mixer was trashed and I hadn't replaced it yet, so that was a big part of the icing fail.  So I have a new one in my Amazon cart already!

Not much tonight, will be heading out in a little bit to pick up a lunch.  Still not sure what I'm getting yet!

• mrsconn23 said:
    I'm already braced for school to be canceled Weds.  I actually need to go put gas in my car because it's at less than a quarter tank.  I don't think it will freeze in the garage, but I'd rather not find out.  ;) 

My sister's district is all walkers and no buses, so I know they won't have school Weds. 
    I didn't even think about schools being closed because of the weather. I figured 2 hour delay but I suppose in 2 hours it won't be any warmer. Hopefully daycare is still open (my old one closed whenever the school district closed but this one I think is independent of any district schedules)
  • OOM that is how Texas Roadhouse is here too, I don't get it. We've only gone like 2x in the past few years but it is always a decent wait even if it is early in the evening. I suppose ours is the only sit down restaurant in that immediate area but there are tons of other options a 5-10 min drive
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    edited January 2019

@OliveOilsMom, my H and I have always been impressed with the Texas Roadhouse!  They have good steaks for such reasonable prices.

For example, on Thurs., my H and I went to Harrah's "The Steakhouse" (what an original name, smh) because Harrah's had given us a $100 gift certificate.  $55-$70 for each steak.  No sides.  Sides are extra.  Such a huge rip-off.

Their steaks are a slightly better quality than Texas Roadhouse.  Slightly.  But nowhere near being over 2/3rds more expensive good.

Edited to add: I think we've only gone on weekday nights to TR.  With call-ahead seating about 30 minutes in advance, there isn't a wait.  But that restaurant does seem to stay really busy most of the time.  I've occasionally been past there on a Fri. or Sat. night and there are tons of people waiting who are spilling out the door.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • S+S I think my biggest pet peeve with fancy steakhouses is that everything is ala carte. For a $50+ steak you should at least get some mashed potatoes for the price
  • Wednesday is supposed to be the last day of book fair.  The principal just said we should go ahead and shut it down Tuesday so they can load out Wednesday.  One more sign we'll be off on Wednesday.
  • kvruns - I think TR has much better steaks than other chains.  They also offer a wider variety of sizes per cut of steak.  They also have the feature where you get to pick out the one you want from the butcher while they take you to your seat.  

S+S - H said next time we do TR on a Saturday after church, we are going to pop out of church during the Homily to get us on the waitlist! LOL!

MrsConn - I tangibly work in gasoline with my environmental litigation stuff, I do, but I had no idea gasoline could freeze just by the air temp!  But I guess if its going seriously in the negative, it is possible!

• Another parent just called me because the same dad that gave me an earful gave her one too. She said it was so bad she turned her back on him mid sentence. 
  • edited January 2019
    Holy Toledo, @MNNEBride and @Casadena! I promise not to complain about our weather no matter how cold it gets.

@short+sassy, now I have that song stuck in my head. Not that I mind, I like Duran Duran.

Saturday I shipped some of BFF/former housemate’s stuff. She promised to reimburse me when she gets paid and she always keeps her word. After that was my book club discussion and meeting with my sponsor, then a nice quiet night at home.

Yesterday was pretty chill. I cooked brunch and went grocery shopping. I unfortunately did not get started on laundry, so that is my project for tomorrow night.

There’s a rumor floating around that my building (county government) might be closed Wednesday and Thursday. We don’t generally close for snow, just extreme cold or when the weather causes issues with the electricity, heat,  or water. It would be nice to have a couple days to get things done around the house. DW has an appointment at the VA on Wednesday. I wonder if they’ll be closed except for emergencies.

ETA: MIL is having second thoughts about moving up here. She says she doesn’t want to be a burden to us, and she would miss SD. DW’s xW is still close to MIL and looks out for her, so at least she wouldn’t be alone.
  • Yeah, near to at record lows are expected here Wednesday and Thursday. I'm headed to Florida Thursday so I have that! Today I got a pedicure in prep for the trip. Haven't had one since before the holidays. I tried a new place. It was pretty good so I think I'll go back. Tonight H and I have our couples book club. Tomorrow we are going to see School of Rock. I also have to start packing and getting the house ready for DD and her family to be here this weekend. She is coming down for a baby shower for a high school friend. I'm bummed to miss seeing her and the twins but this trip was planned last fall - long before the baby shower!
  • Holy Toledo, @MNNEBride and @Casadena! I promise not to complain about our weather no matter how cold it gets.

@short+sassy, now I have that song stuck in my head. Not that I mind, I like Duran Duran.

It often goes through my head on Mondays.  Though I had to Google the line to make sure I got it right.

Because this is how I usually sing it, "Blue (instead of New) moon on Monday...I work 5 days through the night."  I always knew "I work 5 days" were probably not the right words.  But they've always seemed appropriate when I'm dragging myself to the office on a Mon. morning, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • TK just ate my post. WTH?
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, near to at record lows are expected here Wednesday and Thursday. I'm headed to Florida Thursday so I have that! Today I got a pedicure in prep for the trip. Haven't had one since before the holidays. I tried a new place. It was pretty good so I think I'll go back. Tonight H and I have our couples book club. Tomorrow we are going to see School of Rock. I also have to start packing and getting the house ready for DD and her family to be here this weekend. She is coming down for a baby shower for a high school friend. I'm bummed to miss seeing her and the twins but this trip was planned last fall - long before the baby shower!
    Ha!  You and I both heading to FL but friday for me.  And I got my pedicure yesterday (no chip Wed)

• @MNNEBride we're a few hours behind you with slightly less snow and only -3 real feels expected.

Pro's and Cons of Keto:  Cons:  No Pizza on a snow day (womp womp).  Pros:  Zingerman's Pimento Cheese Spread is Keto Grade A!

I'm doing well today!  Sent the boss an email with my transition plan as well as advocating for Friend/Boss who he somehow thinks will take over my entire workload (oh no!).  Got approved for a temporary hardship on my student loans and then chewed out the call center guy at my auto loan for suggesting I "borrow from friends and family until I'm back on my feet."

Oh and I had to stop at the mall on the way home to pick up my new glasses (yay!).  I love them and my eyes are already enjoying the break from my contacts.
  • Yeah, near to at record lows are expected here Wednesday and Thursday. I'm headed to Florida Thursday so I have that! Today I got a pedicure in prep for the trip. Haven't had one since before the holidays. I tried a new place. It was pretty good so I think I'll go back. Tonight H and I have our couples book club. Tomorrow we are going to see School of Rock. I also have to start packing and getting the house ready for DD and her family to be here this weekend. She is coming down for a baby shower for a high school friend. I'm bummed to miss seeing her and the twins but this trip was planned last fall - long before the baby shower!
    Ha!  You and I both heading to FL but friday for me.  And I got my pedicure yesterday (no chip Wed)

If vacation time and money were no object*, apparently you both should have left today and avoided the especially cold weather!

*I wish

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsmitten said:
    @MNNEBride we're a few hours behind you with slightly less snow and only -3 real feels expected.

Pro's and Cons of Keto:  Cons:  No Pizza on a snow day (womp womp).  Pros:  Zingerman's Pimento Cheese Spread is Keto Grade A!

I'm doing well today!  Sent the boss an email with my transition plan as well as advocating for Friend/Boss who he somehow thinks will take over my entire workload (oh no!).  Got approved for a temporary hardship on my student loans and then chewed out the call center guy at my auto loan for suggesting I "borrow from friends and family until I'm back on my feet."

Oh and I had to stop at the mall on the way home to pick up my new glasses (yay!).  I love them and my eyes are already enjoying the break from my contacts.
    Oh sure, I have a line up of friends who could do that! Oh wait - no I don’t.

short+sassy said:

If vacation time and money were no object*, apparently you both should have left today and avoided the especially cold weather!

*I wish

I JUST told H that if only we booked for a cruise this week instead we would have missed all this!  But I don’t have a crystal ball a year out from booking things. 

• Trying this again since TK ate my previous post.

Saturday I shipped some of BFF/former housemate’s stuff to her. She said she’d pay me back when she gets paid again, and she’s always kept her word. After that was my book discussion and meeting with my sponsor, then a quiet afternoon at home with DW.

Yesterday was pretty chill. I cooked brunch and went grocery shopping. Unfortunately, I didn’t get my laundry done, so that’s my project for tomorrow night. 

There’s a rumor going around that our building (county government) might be closed Wednesday and Thursday. We don’t generally close for snow, just extreme cold and any time the weather screws with the electricity, heat, or water. 

MIL has decided she’s not going to move up here in the next couple months. She said she doesn’t want to be a burden to us and that she would miss SD. We’re not thrilled about it, but DW’s xW is still close to MIL and can look after her to the best of her ability. 
  • Trying this again since TK ate my previous post.

Saturday I shipped some of BFF/former housemate’s stuff to her. She said she’d pay me back when she gets paid again, and she’s always kept her word. After that was my book discussion and meeting with my sponsor, then a quiet afternoon at home with DW.

Yesterday was pretty chill. I cooked brunch and went grocery shopping. Unfortunately, I didn’t get my laundry done, so that’s my project for tomorrow night. 

There’s a rumor going around that our building (county government) might be closed Wednesday and Thursday. We don’t generally close for snow, just extreme cold and any time the weather screws with the electricity, heat, or water. 

MIL has decided she’s not going to move up here in the next couple months. She said she doesn’t want to be a burden to us and that she would miss SD. We’re not thrilled about it, but DW’s xW is still close to MIL and can look after her to the best of her ability. 
    Awwww sorry plans have changed OWK!  Looks like you’ll have the house to yourselves!