Wedding Woes

Hump Day

2»

Re: Hump Day

• This week has been so so. H and I have been discussing down sizing. We have been in our house (which we built) 20 years. We raised our three kids here. It is now too big for us really. The biggest/hardest part is the yard. We would rather not have to worry about the up keep and just be able to pick up and go when we want. Soooo we've been looking at neighborhoods and houses. However, the prospect of moving is daunting. I've been trying to get rid of stuff over the last several months, and I've never really been a hoarder but still! We also don't really want to leave the area of town where we are but there isn't any other place in this area we want to go. All the neighborhoods we like are much further out and away from all that we call familiar. I wanted to move to Chicago to be near DD and family but can't talk H into that at all! So we just need to think on it and figure out what we want to do. Luckily we aren't in a big rush to do anything.

I hope your neighbor's on is going to be ok @mrsconn23. Luckily we have a really great children's hospital here.

I'm going to have a lovely home in the far western suburbs for sale!!! 

....Except you may have read that the kitchen floor is soaked in urine so you are probably not my target market. LOL

I am dying of laughter right now!

@ILoveBeachMusic, in the long-run, it does sound like it makes sense to downsize.  However, in the meantime, have you all thought about hiring a landscaping company?

You all might be like me and my H, where we hate to hire people for things we can do ourselves.  But as long as it is in the budget, do it!  I'm still trying to train myself into that mind-set, but I've always been glad when I did to have a weight lifted off my shoulders for something I either don't like or don't have time for.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This week has been so so. H and I have been discussing down sizing. We have been in our house (which we built) 20 years. We raised our three kids here. It is now too big for us really. The biggest/hardest part is the yard. We would rather not have to worry about the up keep and just be able to pick up and go when we want. Soooo we've been looking at neighborhoods and houses. However, the prospect of moving is daunting. I've been trying to get rid of stuff over the last several months, and I've never really been a hoarder but still! We also don't really want to leave the area of town where we are but there isn't any other place in this area we want to go. All the neighborhoods we like are much further out and away from all that we call familiar. I wanted to move to Chicago to be near DD and family but can't talk H into that at all! So we just need to think on it and figure out what we want to do. Luckily we aren't in a big rush to do anything.

I hope your neighbor's on is going to be ok @mrsconn23. Luckily we have a really great children's hospital here.

....Except you may have read that the kitchen floor is soaked in urine so you are probably not my target market. LOL
    LOL probably not! Let me know if X needs to replace the floor though! That really was awful that a grown person did that! I mean my youngest did that in an unfinished basement when he was 4 years old which is much more understandable - he still got in trouble for it though. Good luck with the getting the house ready. Just thinking about doing it is setting my head spinning!

@ILoveBeachMusic, in the long-run, it does sound like it makes sense to downsize.  However, in the meantime, have you all thought about hiring a landscaping company?

You all might be like me and my H, where we hate to hire people for things we can do ourselves.  But as long as it is in the budget, do it!  I'm still trying to train myself into that mind-set, but I've always been glad when I did to have a weight lifted off my shoulders for something I either don't like or don't have time for.

That's exactly what H said! He said we could hire the outside work to be done. Of course there is also the inside work. We have a pretty large house. The houses we are looking at are substantially smaller (about 1/3 smaller). I had to laugh when H said it isn't that much difference in cleaning! I said yeah because you aren't the one doing the cleaning, mister. 

Of course, we will eventually downsize I'm just not sure we are as ready to do it as we thought we were. The saving grace of this house is that we have a master on the main floor. That will allow us to stay here longer than if the master was on the second floor.
  • @mrsconn23, sending healing vibes for the little guy!

@levioosa, how did the final go?

Way to go, @6fsn

My day improved considerably. One of the attorneys bought me lunch to thank me for making coffee every morning, so that was pretty rad. I ended up staying an hour late tying up some loose ends, but I got a ride home from my boss, who it turns out lives about 10 minutes away. I also decided for my own sanity that I’m going to take a break from Facebook. I might peek in on my organization page, but there are a few other people who are page editors, so I don’t really need to. 

I should probably do laundry and start organizing stuff for our trip, but for right now I’m listening to my new favorite Spotify playlist and chilling with Mutt and the cats.

• I am dying of laughter right now!

That's exactly what H said! He said we could hire the outside work to be done. Of course there is also the inside work. We have a pretty large house. The houses we are looking at are substantially smaller (about 1/3 smaller). I had to laugh when H said it isn't that much difference in cleaning! I said yeah because you aren't the one doing the cleaning, mister. 

Of course, we will eventually downsize I'm just not sure we are as ready to do it as we thought we were. The saving grace of this house is that we have a master on the main floor. That will allow us to stay here longer than if the master was on the second floor.

Heck, yeah!  Embrace it.  Hire out for the outside.  Only clean the second story if company is staying over, lol.  Or use a cleaning service also.  They can be really flexible with frequency and rotating out deep cleans for different sections. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

We are in the same boat!  We don't really need the amount of house anymore, but hate to leave it.  Even though most of us are now empty nesters, a good portion of the folks on my block are the same neighbors from when we moved here 25 years ago.   H still does weekly lawn maintenance, but hires out the bigger clean up and mulching jobs.  We still do the snow removal, but after this winter, H is starting to balk about that, too.  We finally had a more typical "Chicago" winter this year, and it definitely took a toll!

Now that the grands are older, they are starting to spend the night here.  Having the extra bedrooms is nice in that regard.  Since DS and DIL are in LA, we still need the space when they visit, too.  It seems silly to move if we will still require the extra bedrooms. We have pretty much gutted the house from top to bottom.  My one regret is that we considered putting an addition on the lower level to completely "seniorize" it.  The goal was to bring laundry up from the basement, and add a master suite and bath for JIC.  I chickened out because I could barely handle the complete kitchen rehab.  Coulda/woulda/shoulda.  

@ILoveBeachMusic, considering the number of Illinois residents fleeing the state, I understand your H's hesitations!  Perhaps DD and her family will start to see the Indiana "light"!
  • edited February 2019
    MobKaz said:
    This week has been so so. H and I have been discussing down sizing. We have been in our house (which we built) 20 years. We raised our three kids here. It is now too big for us really. The biggest/hardest part is the yard. We would rather not have to worry about the up keep and just be able to pick up and go when we want. Soooo we've been looking at neighborhoods and houses. However, the prospect of moving is daunting. I've been trying to get rid of stuff over the last several months, and I've never really been a hoarder but still! We also don't really want to leave the area of town where we are but there isn't any other place in this area we want to go. All the neighborhoods we like are much further out and away from all that we call familiar. I wanted to move to Chicago to be near DD and family but can't talk H into that at all! So we just need to think on it and figure out what we want to do. Luckily we aren't in a big rush to do anything.

We are in the same boat!  We don't really need the amount of house anymore, but hate to leave it.  Even though most of us are now empty nesters, a good portion of the folks on my block are the same neighbors from when we moved here 25 years ago.   H still does weekly lawn maintenance, but hires out the bigger clean up and mulching jobs.  We still do the snow removal, but after this winter, H is starting to balk about that, too.  We finally had a more typical "Chicago" winter this year, and it definitely took a toll!

Now that the grands are older, they are starting to spend the night here.  Having the extra bedrooms is nice in that regard.  Since DS and DIL are in LA, we still need the space when they visit, too.  It seems silly to move if we will still require the extra bedrooms. We have pretty much gutted the house from top to bottom.  My one regret is that we considered putting an addition on the lower level to completely "seniorize" it.  The goal was to bring laundry up from the basement, and add a master suite and bath for JIC.  I chickened out because I could barely handle the complete kitchen rehab.  Coulda/woulda/shoulda.  

@ILoveBeachMusic, considering the number of Illinois residents fleeing the state, I understand your H's hesitations!  Perhaps DD and her family will start to see the Indiana "light"

SITB

@mobkaz that almost happened last  month but unfortunately DD's inlaw's talked them (SIL) out of it. I was burning mad. I'm not really over it yet. We didn't try to influence their decision but when it came down to it the IL's did! I cried for days. It wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't decided to move (and told us) then changed their minds. Oh well. I never expected them to move to Indiana so I'm back to how I always expected life to be.
  • MobKaz said:

@ILoveBeachMusic, considering the number of Illinois residents fleeing the state, I understand your H's hesitations!  Perhaps DD and her family will start to see the Indiana "light"!
    Yeah.  You don’t move INto Illinois anymore.  You move out of it. 

• MobKaz said:

I would actually love to move to Chicago, lol.  Big, high-rise and walkable city.  Great restaurants.  On a huge lake, that even has a freakin' river running through the downtown!  The real estate was shockingly more affordable than what my assumptions were.  ALL of that is my jam.  But my H says he wouldn't like it.  So that idea died where it started (sigh).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MobKaz said:

I would actually love to move to Chicago, lol.  Big, high-rise and walkable city.  Great restaurants.  On a huge lake, that even has a freakin' river running through the downtown!  The real estate was shockingly more affordable than what my assumptions were.  ALL of that is my jam.  But my H says he wouldn't like it.  So that idea died where it started (sigh).
    2nd highest property taxes in the U.S, after NJ..... 😁 it’s funny because my brother lives in Southern IL.  He can’t tell people he’s originally from “Chicago” because they hate us city folk.  We met a couple from southern IL on the cruise who immediately stiffened up once we exchanged where we lived.  I smoothed things over a bit with having family in southern IL though.  

• MobKaz said:

Your idea of affordable real estate and our idea of affordable real estate are totally different. We've been spoiled living in Indy for 36 years. The taxes are what turned H off, though.
  • I would actually love to move to Chicago, lol.  Big, high-rise and walkable city.  Great restaurants.  On a huge lake, that even has a freakin' river running through the downtown!  The real estate was shockingly more affordable than what my assumptions were.  ALL of that is my jam.  But my H says he wouldn't like it.  So that idea died where it started (sigh).
    Your idea of affordable real estate and our idea of affordable real estate are totally different. We've been spoiled living in Indy for 36 years. The taxes are what turned H off, though.

and @CharmedPam

To be fair, I was only looking at real estate prices.  I know from the article I posted last week they have the second highest property taxes, so I'm sure that would drop much of that appeal for me, lol.

I was figuring they'd be cheaper than NYC real estate, but not by a lot.  I was so mistaken.  They are substantially cheaper.  Seemed similar to NOLA real estate prices, though roughly 20% higher than that.

I did see two enticing 6-plexes and one 8-plex in Chicago a few months ago.  Not that I had the money for even one of them, but the ROI was great so it perked me interest for the future.  I even daydreamed about which unit I would want for myself with the 6-plexes.  They were the same seller and down the street from each other.  One of them had higher-end looks and finishings and all the units had these awesome big balconies, which didn't seem the norm for Chicago.  The other one wasn't as high-end, but still nice and were bigger units.  They had those cool bump-outs I saw a lot in Chicago.  Similar shape to a bay window, except that whole part of the room bumps out like that.   

I've also looked at real estate/rental prices in Indianapolis because those are a real estate investors dream, lol.  I couldn't even believe how cheap the real estate there is.  I saw big, ranch houses.  Great condition, nice amenities.  Looked like they were in nice, suburban type neighborhoods for $125K-$150K.

Caveat: I've done superficial, curiosity research.  Nothing too in-depth.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy and taxes are a lot lower in Indy! The big draw to Chicago for me are the grandtwins. H says we can make that 3 1/2 hour drive many times for that lower tax rate LOL! Of course I'm the one making the drive most of the time. We do like all the restaurants and theater in Chicago though Indy's restaurant scene is improving and shows do make it here just a year or two after Chicago.
  • @short+sassy and taxes are a lot lower in Indy! The big draw to Chicago for me are the grandtwins. H says we can make that 3 1/2 hour drive many times for that lower tax rate LOL! Of course I'm the one making the drive most of the time. We do like all the restaurants and theater in Chicago though Indy's restaurant scene is improving and shows do make it here just a year or two after Chicago.
    I feel you!  For a blip of a moment, I honestly thought DS and DIL might toy with moving from LA to a "moderate climate" area such as North Carolina or Nashville.  I would have jumped for joy at the thought of a "drivable" ability to visit, even if it were 8 hours.  I know it's all relative, but I would not complain an ounce if I had a 3 1/2 hour drive to see that LA grandbaby!  It breaks my heart to know they will probably never leave that damn town, and sadly, much of that is on DIL.  

I'm headed back your way over Spring Break.  I know it doesn't mean much to you at the moment, but the Indianapolis Children's Museum has a temporary Paw Patrol exhibit.  This will be our third trip to see that new insanity!  My little guy is ALL about the Paw Patrol!  And, as always, we will make a pit stop at the gummy bear castle!  We have never hit it up prior to Easter, so I'm just a little scared of what may happen to my wallet (and teeth)!

• edited February 2019
    MobKaz said:
    @short+sassy and taxes are a lot lower in Indy! The big draw to Chicago for me are the grandtwins. H says we can make that 3 1/2 hour drive many times for that lower tax rate LOL! Of course I'm the one making the drive most of the time. We do like all the restaurants and theater in Chicago though Indy's restaurant scene is improving and shows do make it here just a year or two after Chicago.
    I feel you!  For a blip of a moment, I honestly thought DS and DIL might toy with moving from LA to a "moderate climate" area such as North Carolina or Nashville.  I would have jumped for joy at the thought of a "drivable" ability to visit, even if it were 8 hours.  I know it's all relative, but I would not complain an ounce if I had a 3 1/2 hour drive to see that LA grandbaby!  It breaks my heart to know they will probably never leave that damn town, and sadly, much of that is on DIL.  

I'm headed back your way over Spring Break.  I know it doesn't mean much to you at the moment, but the Indianapolis Children's Museum has a temporary Paw Patrol exhibit.  This will be our third trip to see that new insanity!  My little guy is ALL about the Paw Patrol!  And, as always, we will make a pit stop at the gummy bear castle!  We have never hit it up prior to Easter, so I'm just a little scared of what may happen to my wallet (and teeth)!

Some of my friends with little ones have been to that exhibit and their kids have loved it! I can't wait until we will have a Grandparent's membership there so we can take the boys there. I can't believe how much they have grown in six weeks. Such little chunkers and crawling everywhere!

I know 3 1/2 hours isn't that bad - I have friends who have kids and grandchildren living in Asia! So I really have no right to complain! I just hated having my hopes raised.

edited for spelling.
  • MobKaz said:
    @short+sassy and taxes are a lot lower in Indy! The big draw to Chicago for me are the grandtwins. H says we can make that 3 1/2 hour drive many times for that lower tax rate LOL! Of course I'm the one making the drive most of the time. We do like all the restaurants and theater in Chicago though Indy's restaurant scene is improving and shows do make it here just a year or two after Chicago.

Some of my friends with little ones have been to that exhibit and there kids have loved it! I can't wait until we will have a Grandparent's membership there so we can take the boys there. I can't believe how much they have grown in six weeks. Such little chunkers and crawling everywhere!

I know 3 1/2 hours isn't that bad - I have friends who have kids and grandchildren living in Asia! So I really have no right to complain! I just hated having my hopes raised.
    We moved back to Buffalo primarily to be closer to my in-laws/my parents. We dont have kids (yet) but we didn't want to be that far from them when that time came. I know it was hard for my MIL to be far away from H's brothers kids, especially when they were little. But it took us a while to make that decision, maybe it will happen some day? 
  • MobKaz said:

Some of my friends with little ones have been to that exhibit and their kids have loved it! I can't wait until we will have a Grandparent's membership there so we can take the boys there. I can't believe how much they have grown in six weeks. Such little chunkers and crawling everywhere!

edited for spelling.
    I disagree!  Apologies if I made you think I was admonishing you for being (only) 3 1/2 hours away from the little guys!  There are days the 20 minute drive seems too long to get to "the locals".  We have so many days where I wish they could walk across the street just to give mom and dad a "school night dinner break" or something.  What I never would have guessed or believed was the incredible attachment and magic grandparenting holds!

My H sees them 2-3 times a week to babysit while DD goes to work from 11-5.  She has a sitter the other two days.  I go once a week after school to give SIL a break when he comes home from school.  He goes right from school mode to dad/dinner/baths mode many nights.  We see them almost every weekend.  The few times I do not get over there during the week, I am desperate to see them once the weekend hits.  Who would've thought?  To see the little LA lady 3-4 times a YEAR beyond kills me.

The hard part is indeed keeping quiet about opinions and feelings about the (rightly) choices our kids make independent of us :-(
  • @MobKaz what is this gummy bear castle?  We’re going to be in Indy in March. 
  • @6fsn what brings you to Indy in March?  @MobKaz, no I didn't think you were admonishing me! I just need to keep reminding myself that things could be worse. It is hard when the majority of friends in Indy get to see their grandkids several times a week. Yes it is amazing how strong the attachment to those little ones is. I know they have to make their own decisions and just don't agree with how the decision was reversed (and won't go into it here). I keep my mouth shut because it won't do any good to voice my opinions. I don't want to risk alienating SIL or DD.
  • @ILoveBeachMusic- 3 guesses and 2 don’t cant...soccer. 
  • @6fsn - duh of course! Are you plying at the facility in Westfield? I've heard it is huge but have never been there. I think it is called the Grand?
  • @6fsn - duh of course! Are you plying at the facility in Westfield? I've heard it is huge but have never been there. I think it is called the Grand?
    Yes! Grand park. I’ve heard nice things about it. My keeper kid is not thrilled about the turf aspect. It tears him up to be diving all over it, but I’m thrilled we have 2 games indoors.