Wedding Reception Forum

Venue Set Up

My venue is charging $3,000 for the use for one day. It's a B&B so for an additional $1,250 we can rent the 5 rooms for the night before and after to house our wedding party. They also indicated they expect us to help set up and take down the tables and chairs. Is it out of line for me to expect that for $3,000 they can manage to do that with only direction in where to place things? I don't want to ask my family and wedding party who are traveling to be there to also stick around and work before and after the wedding. 

Re: Venue Set Up

• We haven't signed a contract yet, just talked to those who own the venue we really want. 
  • That's good, then you can negotiate. If you're serious about booking them, they'll send you a contract. You can insist that they write in that they'll be responsible for setting up/breaking down the tables. Or they can pay the cost of hiring someone to do it. 
  • Something is NOT adding up here.  You say you have signed NO contract.  But you have multiple posts that indicate you have limited funds, want to have a cash bar, and want to invite close to 300 people.  That must be one helluva B & B that it has the space to cater 300 guests.  Are you planning to put guests in different rooms?  Are you planning an outdoor reception?  

You are discussing parent attire, asking about bridal party attire and costs, and whether to have an earlier reception to avoid having to offer a full meal.

It sounds to me that you need to start at square one and plan this wedding properly with a definitive budget that jives with your guest list.  
  • edited April 2019
  • MobKaz said:
    Something is NOT adding up here.  You say you have signed NO contract.  But you have multiple posts that indicate you have limited funds, want to have a cash bar, and want to invite close to 300 people.  That must be one helluva B & B that it has the space to cater 300 guests.  Are you planning to put guests in different rooms?  Are you planning an outdoor reception?  

You are discussing parent attire, asking about bridal party attire and costs, and whether to have an earlier reception to avoid having to offer a full meal.

It sounds to me that you need to start at square one and plan this wedding properly with a definitive budget that jives with your guest list.  
    We haven't signed a contract because we haven't booked a venue. We are trying to plan a budget based on several factors. Our guest list is between 200-300 because we have large families. It is a large venue and the guests would not be staying on site as it would be for the ceremony and reception and accommodations for our bridal party. I discussed all of those things because I am trying to get ideas and input. If you have nothing constructive to say, then keep your rude comments to yourself. Thanks!
  • OP, PP isn't being rude. Normally a budget is set first, then a guest list is made then a venue is found that fits the budget and the guest list. All that is (usually) done before the details of attire are decided. You are getting a lot of good advice to your questions across the forums. When you post on forums, people can comment how they see fit to your questions - you can't dictate how they answer.

To your question - do not ask your family and friends to help set up or break down tables and chairs. It could cause hard feelings amongst your family and friends. It is a good thing you haven't signed a contract. That should be a deal breaker if the venue can't provide someone to do the heavy lifting even if it is for extra money. My daughter's caterer did the set up and tear down because they provided the tables not the venue. Like PP use it as a negotiating point or find another venue or hire someone independently.
  • $4250, I'm going out on a limb here but it doesn't matter how beautiful the venue is, it's out of your budget.  For $4250, you can book 5 hotel rooms, and pay for most of the catering at a more affordable venue such as a KC, Lion's, Community, VFW, AMVET, Legion, etc. hall without sacrificing a thing (such as hosted bar for 100% of the evening) with money left over AND, they won't make you set up your own tables/chairs.  You'll still have awesome pictures, but your guest's experience won't be the cost.  
  • It’s seems odd that the venue fee doesn’t include set up unless this is a pretty DIY or not a typical wedding venue. It’s not so much the amount of the fee, but rather that it’s jot inclusive of set up. 

Youre instinct not to ask your guests is correct; if the fee doesn’t cover set up I’d ask about how much it is to include set up and I’d also look into hiring someone to do it for you. 
  • MobKaz said:
    Something is NOT adding up here.  You say you have signed NO contract.  But you have multiple posts that indicate you have limited funds, want to have a cash bar, and want to invite close to 300 people.  That must be one helluva B & B that it has the space to cater 300 guests.  Are you planning to put guests in different rooms?  Are you planning an outdoor reception?  

We haven't signed a contract because we haven't booked a venue. We are trying to plan a budget based on several factors. Our guest list is between 200-300 because we have large families. It is a large venue and the guests would not be staying on site as it would be for the ceremony and reception and accommodations for our bridal party. I discussed all of those things because I am trying to get ideas and input. If you have nothing constructive to say, then keep your rude comments to yourself. Thanks!
    JIC