Wedding Woes
Options

Randoms

Re: Randoms

• Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    @ShesSoCold no Old Navy hurts!

I've gone to New Hampshire every year of my life, to the point that it's more of a second home than a vacation.  I mean, it is a vacation, but has a different feel than getting on a plane and staying in a hotel and seeing sights you've never seen before.  I have friends who go to Disney at least once a year, but usually 2-3 times...they stay in one of the nicer resort hotels ($600ish/night, I know bc I'm now researching for my family's imminent Disney trip), and I do sometimes think "don't you want to go to the Amalfi Coast/Machu Picchu/see the Northern Lights etc???".  So I see both sides of the "going to the same place every year" statement.
  • Options

I don't understand people who go to the same place on vacation. I want to see as much of this country and world as possible, not go back to the same places.
    There are people in my mom group that go to DISNEY several times a year.  Like all of their vacations are to Disney.  And they spend a fuckton of time talking about Disney and using their cricut to make shirts for Disney.  Some of them take group trips to Disney together sans kids or go there for an anniversary trip with their husbands.  

First of all, I'd love to see their finances because Disney is $$$.  But secondly, Disney is a 'working' vacation...you're always on the move.  That gets a hell no from me.  I mean sure, we've done vacations where we've been busy AF the whole time, but I also want to just sit on a beach sometimes.  Plus, who wants to spend that much time in a crowded place with other people and call it a 'vacation'?  Ugh.  NO.  

However after going to Hilton Head last year, I see why people return all the time.  Same for the Outer Banks.  And if I could go to SoCal every year, I would.  

DH is the one who never wants to go to the same place twice.  But to be fair, we go to the same place once a year for a trip...the family farm in central IL (for Labor Day).  
  • Options
    Yesssss I agree so much about Disney! I don't get the appeal of going, I don't get the obsession, I just don't get it, period. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I can see why people go to the same place, especially if they are older, have family in the area, have kids, or just enjoy relaxing in some place familiar that isn’t home (ie without real life responsibilities). I never feel like I have enough time in places and always want to go back... but I also have passport envy and want more stamps. What I can’t understand is people, like my SIL, who don’t travel because ‘there’s no place she wants to go’.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Driving- roundabouts give me rage. Even my then 5 yo knew it was a Yield not a stop. 

Disney- we have lots of friends that go multiple times a year. Nope. We’re going once and done for a looooong time. 
  • Options
    Ughhh I hate them too, 6! They're starting to put them in around Chicagoland. I was excited to move away but they're all over where we're going too. 

One 4 hour road trip, three years ago, and Man Siri saying "at the roundabout" about 10,000 fucking times is still burned into my brain. 

I just threw myself under a bus I had nothing to do with for a work friend. This is the perfect and only time for something like that. "SSC fucked that up, thank GOD though because she's leaving next week!".
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I have people that can’t USE roundabouts. They’re very efficient if people no how to use them. We’ve got them all over. Indy seems to have a TON though. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm sure I'll hate them less once we all get used to them.

A couple years ago, they put a "diamond divergent" (I think it was called) in on one of our interstates. I think it was like the second one in the country.

It basically crosses the lanes of traffic so you never cross into oncoming traffic to turn. So you turn right to get onto the WB highway as normal, then the lanes cross over and you're driving on the wrong side of the road and the left turn to get onto the EB highway doesn't cross any lanes. Then the lanes cross back and you're normal again. 

A great idea and really safe if people didn't panic. I hope in the years since people have gotten used to it. At first, it was kind of freaky for people who didn't know what was happening and they'd abruptly change lanes. 
  • Options
    Meh - I'm in the loving Disney camp.  It isn't the ONLY place I want to go to but there's an enjoyment that I've had in the 4 times I've been.  Again, it can be a comfort if that's something you know, like and enjoy that escape.

But for DH, there are a ton of places he wants to go so it'll be a compromise.
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Meh - I'm in the loving Disney camp.  It isn't the ONLY place I want to go to but there's an enjoyment that I've had in the 4 times I've been.  Again, it can be a comfort if that's something you know, like and enjoy that escape.

My sisters love Disney.   But they only take their kids every few years.  I'm talking about the people who go 3 and 4 times a year. That's insanity to me. 

The only person I understand that goes often is one person's parents retired to FL and work at DW part time.  So it's cheap for them and they're going to spend time with her parents. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:

My sisters love Disney.   But they only take their kids every few years.  I'm talking about the people who go 3 and 4 times a year. That's insanity to me. 

The only person I understand that goes often is one person's parents retired to FL and work at DW part time.  So it's cheap for them and they're going to spend time with her parents. 
    This was kind of us when my Dad was alive. He lived outside Orlando and my stepbrother worked for Disney. We could get in for free one day each trip. We didn't go every time we visited my Dad but we went more often than if we had to pay. Honestly my kids enjoyed Sea World more. I don't get the going to Disney multiple times a year either but know people that do it. Way to spendy for my tastes.
  • Options
    6fsn said:
    I have people that can’t USE roundabouts. They’re very efficient if people no how to use them. We’ve got them all over. Indy seems to have a TON though. 
    They're EVERYWHERE.  
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    6fsn said:
    They're EVERYWHERE.  
    Actually they are in Hamilton Co. - Carmel and Fishers but I'm sure Indy will be adding them once we have the money.
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    6fsn said:
    They're EVERYWHERE.  
    Actually they are in Hamilton Co. - Carmel and Fishers but I'm sure Indy will be adding them once we have the money.
    My side of town (west) has a lot as well.  
  • Options
    People who don’t cross at a cross walk and just walk into traffic expecting cars to stop. No. You get a cross walk every 50 yards in my town. I’m not stoping because you don’t feel like walk just a little further. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    6fsn said:
    They're EVERYWHERE.  
    Oh - I didn't think the city actually had the money for them LOL! I guess my side just hasn't gotten them yet - NE side.
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    6fsn said:
    They're EVERYWHERE.  
    Oh - I didn't think the city actually had the money for them LOL! I guess my side just hasn't gotten them yet - NE side.
    Well, I'm out in Hendricks Co.  But I've seen them in the Z-ville area (Boone Co).  However, besides the biggest roundabout in the state (the circle), I've not seen them IN Indy proper.  ;) 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

Well, I'm out in Hendricks Co.  But I've seen them in the Z-ville area (Boone Co).  However, besides the biggest roundabout in the state (the circle), I've not seen them IN Indy proper.  ;) 
    Haha! I guess I don't even think about the Circle being a roundabout but you are right! Heck, Marion Co. can't even repair pot holes much less build roundabouts!

• Options
    levioosa said:
    People who microwave fish in the office microwave. No. Just stop. 
    Someone did this at my office today and the whole place stank for at least an hour. It was so gross. 
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2019
    In the past 2 years I've spent 52 days in Orlando, all on business... That said, for me a vacation is so much different than most, for me it's first, running water that I can take as long of a shower as my heart desires, and from there just not being on a schedule regardless of where I'm at and getting to do whatever without being nagged for this, that, or the next thing, or hearing whining about where we go to eat, or what's on the menu, or me having to slip the waiter/waitress an extra $10/$20 for putting up with other members of my party.  And people around me wonder why I just prefer going places solo..  

What grinds my gears though - people who ride their bikes down the middle of the back roads with ZERO regard for what lane they're in nor if they're on a blind hill...  SNS - we have green ways and bike lanes covering TONS of roads around here, bike there, not where someone has to slam on the breaks or follow you for 5 miles because it's blind hills and corners or because you keep swerving worse than a drunk driver!

• Options
    I don’t get Pinterest. When I started wedding planning I got so much advice not to get “swept away” in Pinterest. Swept away in what? A bunch of broken links with no actual information?  There were a few times when I would try and suss out a bunch of looks so I could see what I liked (I.e would I rather have my BMs in short or long navy dresses?) but apparently I wasn’t searching for the right thing because I could never find examples of what I was looking for. I seriously don’t get what it’s all about, for better or for worse 
    There are a fair amount of broken links on Pinterest, but I got sucked in in a big way. Mine wasn’t so much wedding stuff as it was my various fandoms and craft projects that I may or may not make. I gave it up for Lent (despite not being Christian anymore) and honestly don’t miss it.
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I've never been "swept away" or sucked into Pinterest like some people describe.  I agree on the broken links- I get especially annoyed when I see a dish that looks great and it ends up just being a photo, no recipe.  Or the recipe is hidden at the bottom of a pile of adds and musings from a Christian, homeschooling mom blog.
  • Options
    I like Pinterest but I think it's kind of had it's big moment.

Things I like using it for:
    -Fashion: If I'm interested in something "of the moment" how are other people wearing it?
    -Crochet patterns.   I found the pattern I used for my unborn niece's blanket this way.   I've also made some great winter hats for the kids from there. 
    -Recipes.   When I'm looking for specific inspiration that's a great resource for St. Patrick's Day cupcakes. 
    -Decorating tips.  I am challenged in that department.   I love seeing how other people do things like have gallery frames on the wall. 

• Options
    banana468 said:
    I like Pinterest but I think it's kind of had it's big moment.

Things I like using it for:
    -Fashion: If I'm interested in something "of the moment" how are other people wearing it?
    -Crochet patterns.   I found the pattern I used for my unborn niece's blanket this way.   I've also made some great winter hats for the kids from there. 
    -Recipes.   When I'm looking for specific inspiration that's a great resource for St. Patrick's Day cupcakes. 
    -Decorating tips.  I am challenged in that department.   I love seeing how other people do things like have gallery frames on the wall. 

This.  I never log on and I’m not sure how many of my friends do.

• Options
    I do love Pinterest for recipes. Some of my best “new” things have been from Pinterest. I also like it for decorating tips. But now that we have a house I’ve used it considerably less 

• Options
    I remembered one of my "randoms" over the weekend for Amazon reviews.
    Now, I love me some Amazon reviews!  I have saved myself from wasting a lot of money.  But here are my two eyerolls on them:

--Don't write a review that's along the lines of "I got it, but haven't tried it yet".  A bonus negative point if the review also adds that they'll "update" after they've tried it.  Oh, Amazon reviewer.  You and I both know you'll never update, lol.

--Taking stars off because the reviewer didn't read the description;  And even KNOW they made a mistake and didn't read the description, but takes stars off anyway.  Case in point.  I was looking up sugar-free cappuccino mix this weekend.  For one of the options available, a reviewer had one-star.

Their complaint? The item had Splenda in it.  Which they've heard is unhealthy.  So they threw both of the containers out.  Not only is it stated in the description that this item is sweetened with Splenda, but the little Splenda label is actually on the front, left corner of the product.  And there is a pic of the product in the ad.  Plus, all artificial sweeteners have some kind of bad press.  Splenda has less than most.  So what exactly did they think the cappuccino was sweetened with anyway, smh.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Now, I love me some Amazon reviews!  I have saved myself from wasting a lot of money.  But here are my two eyerolls on them:

--Don't write a review that's along the lines of "I got it, but haven't tried it yet".  A bonus negative point if the review also adds that they'll "update" after they've tried it.  Oh, Amazon reviewer.  You and I both know you'll never update, lol.

--Taking stars off because the reviewer didn't read the description;  And even KNOW they made a mistake and didn't read the description, but takes stars off anyway.  Case in point.  I was looking up sugar-free cappuccino mix this weekend.  For one of the options available, a reviewer had one-star.

Their complaint? The item had Splenda in it.  Which they've heard is unhealthy.  So they threw both of the containers out.  Not only is it stated in the description that this item is sweetened with Splenda, but the little Splenda label is actually on the front, left corner of the product.  And there is a pic of the product in the ad.  Plus, all artificial sweeteners have some kind of bad press.  Splenda has less than most.  So what exactly did they think the cappuccino was sweetened with anyway, smh.
    Comments and reviews on recipes are the same way and probably as annoying. People give 5 stars and the comment is "looks great! Can't wait to try!" or one star and "Ugh. Heavy cream is NOT healthy! Won't be making!" on like a recipe called "Mega Decadent Diet Out The Door Cream Pasta". Also the people who make a recipe COMPLETELY different than the recipe and rate that.

I cook a lot of new recipes and I review some to help others. A LOT of Food Network recipes are WAY over complicated and I'll review them and say what I did differently, but I always rate based on the actual recipe itself. 
  • Options

Comments and reviews on recipes are the same way and probably as annoying. People give 5 stars and the comment is "looks great! Can't wait to try!" or one star and "Ugh. Heavy cream is NOT healthy! Won't be making!" on like a recipe called "Mega Decadent Diet Out The Door Cream Pasta". Also the people who make a recipe COMPLETELY different than the recipe and rate that.

I cook a lot of new recipes and I review some to help others. A LOT of Food Network recipes are WAY over complicated and I'll review them and say what I did differently, but I always rate based on the actual recipe itself. 
    Or reviews that say, “it had x in it, but I don’t like that so I substituted y thing. I also cut down the spices to half and added in a, b, and c things. I also changed the cook time to double and increased the temp to an extra 50 degrees. It ended up being bland and over-cooked. Would not recommend.” What? You didn’t even make remotely the same recipe! 

• Options

Lol, so true!  But on the plus side, recipe reviews where someone actually cooked it and offers tips are really helpful!  Especially the ones that adjust ingredient quantities or suggest other ingredient tweaks to give the recipe a twist.

Wedding Countdown Ticker