Wedding Woes
Options

We meet again, Monday.

2»

Re: We meet again, Monday.

• Options
    Re: paying for parking.  This is funny because if you ever went to the Iowa state fair (and its really something you gotta do) locals make SO much money selling their spots during that time.  Some even ruin their lawn and have people use their whole lawn as a parking lot. When I first went, and my friend drove and found someone’s lawn to park - I was amazed!  They let you ruin their lawn for $10 (or whatever it was back then)
    This happens in the neighborhood around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, too. Difference is that the yard actually is their property.

If someone tried to make me pay for a public street space, I would tell them that they can let me park there for free, as is my legal right, or I will call the cops and tell them about their nonsense of trying to sell rights to municipal property.
    Yeah, I have no issue with people/businesses who sell parking spaces on their own property.  I wish my property had such goodness, lol.  The neighbors on a perpendicular street (different ones) whose fenced backyard butts up to mine, have a good sized backyard.  There's a large enough opening on the side of the house (still their property) to drive a car through and they'll park 8-10 cars every day at $25/pop.  I have a large backyard also BUT, no way to drive a car to it :(

Now that I'm thinking more about it, I'm wondering if it's more common in my city than I'm thinking it is or if they're just extra big special snowflakes.

Jazz Fest is this weekend also and I might go take a walk with my dog and scope it out, lol.

I've occasionally seen people selling street parking during various Mardi Gras parades, but it's not that common.  And not in my neighborhood.  Only because we're not close enough for that, lol, smh.

--------------------------

With that said, it is like people have no understanding of street parking here.  It does blow my mind.  I've twice, in two different neighborhoods, had someone scream at me for parking on the street in front of their house.  One of them was a previous house I lived at.  They were doing a bunch of construction work next door and it was one of the workers (not the owner, he wasn't there).

He immediately approached my car, told me they were expecting a dumpster any moment, and to move my car.  A normal voice at this point.  So I politely told him I had just come back from the grocery store and needed to carry my groceries to my house (pointed to it).  But would move my car further down the street, after that.  Now in a raised voice, he demands that I have to move my car now because that parking belongs to that house.  I keep my voice calm...because that drives angry people nuts...and tell him, "No. It doesn't.  It's street parking.  I'm not sure if you're exceedingly ignorant about basic laws.  Or are foolish enough to think that I am.  But now, I won't move my car at all because you're an a$$hole."  He yells that he is going to call the police.  I lmao and tell him to do it.  They'll tell him the same thing I just did.  He knocked on my door a few times over the next 30 minutes.  I ignored him.

Either he never called the police or they didn't come.  I even heard the dumpster guy come and leave again, lol.  No dumpster dropped off that day, though it was there the next.  Apparently his momma didn't teach him you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.  I know I shouldn't have stooped to name calling.  But I was just so flabberglasted that I was so nice to agree to what he wanted.  Yet then he still tried to insist I can't have 5 minutes to unload my car so I don't have to walk down half a block, multiple times loaded down with groceries.

The other time, I was at the inspection for a house I was purchasing (I didn't for other reasons).  A neighbor actually came barging into the front room of the house (the door was open), screaming and cursing at the top of his lungs, "Whose MFing, bleeping car was parked in front of his house.  They better Fing move it right now or he's calling the police."  I told him he needed to calm down.  I was just there for my inspection and would be gone in 1-2 hours.  (Screaming name-calling and he's calling the police.)  We told him it was street parking and anyone can park there and he needed to get out of this house NOW.  Or we would be the ones calling the police.  It was 4 against 1 telling him he needed to leave, so he left.  Still screaming he was calling the police.  Mmmkay.  No police showed up.  Probably because he wised up and didn't call.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My block ends in a cul-de-sac, or would if the cul-de-sac weren't actually the circle drive of the rear entrance of an elementary school. Our street is "permit parking only" so that when there are school events, the residents and their guests can actually park. So technically, not everyone can park there, but I am also able to park anywhere on my block that I want, whether that's in front of my house or my neighbor's house. And I imagine we would lose that privilege if someone started renting out their guest permit hangers.
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2019
    I'm here.  Today was a weird day.  DH took a sick day because he was tired and slightly hungover.  IDK why he tied one on last night...maybe not over the draft 'high'.  ;)  We went out to eat over my lunch break. 

Friday, I sucked it up and took DefConn to the carnival.  I ended up hooking up with the mom that has a kid in DefConn's boy scout troupe.  I talked to his teacher for a bit and showed her the WaPo article with DH's pic.  She ended up showing it to the class during their morning round-up.  <3  After that we came home and watched the draft.  The kiddo had our old neighbor out our way, so they came over for the night. 

Saturday, I worked.  DH got home mid-afternoon.  He took me downtown to drop me off for dinner.  I met my sister and two of her friends and we went to see Waitress after dinner.  It was wonderful.  I ubered home, since DH was at FIL's.  I watched some TV and went to bed when I woke up on the couch a little after 1.  

Sunday, I woke up slowly and then finally meandered toward the store in the afternoon.  DH got home while I was at the store.  He mowed and then we made dinner.  I realized that our freezer had become unplugged.  Turns out DH knocked it out of the wall when unplugging a power strip before he left Thursday morning.  We threw out about $50 worth of food.  :/  I never noticed because I kept sending DefConn to the freezer.  We didn't lose anything I bought yesterday because it was still cool enough in the freezer for the few hours it was out there.  Also we were low on stuff in there, thankfully.  I also had been telling DH I knew we had older stuff in there and that it just needed a defrosting and cleaning.  So it could have been worse, but it still sucked to see all the ruined food.  

After the freezer debacle, we (well, I, for the most part) watched GoT.  It was so intense.  I burst in to unexpected tears toward the end at a moment of relief.  It was nuts.  DH and I talked about it a lot today (after he re-watched it this morning. ;)

3 working days between me and vacation.  I started to pack last night.  My friend got our itinerary today and it's going to be pretty sweet.  I can't wait.  
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Well, Friday night, creepy neighbor came home drunk or high and was screaming, throwing things, and slamming doors till almost 2:00 a.m. Then the dogs woke me up at 7:00 and it was cold and rainy. I went back to bed after taking them out, and right about the time I was planning on heading out the door, he started up again and I had a panic attack and stayed home. Fortunately I was better by the time DW got home. Then yesterday I injured my knee bringing laundry up the stairs. I felt like such a klutz.

Apart from that, the weekend was decent. We ended up celebrating my dad’s birthday Saturday evening, so we had a nice lazy Sunday until I had to leave for my Meetup (which went well).

Today at work was mostly uneventful, but I’m worried about one of the attorneys I support. The two I work most closely with are both pregnant, but one of them has had to miss a lot of work. I hope she’s OK.