Wedding Woes

Wednesday!

What’s going on today? Not too much on my end. I woke up SO sleepy today and having a hard time shaking it. I’m trying to drink less coffee but I’m heading up to the cafeteria to get another cup. 

H has softball tonight so I’m planning an easy dinner and just relaxing. We sat out on our porch last night and it was just so nice. We need to do that more often. 

Re: Wednesday!

• @charlotte989875 mmmm porch sits <3 

Found out the dates we originally had for daycare being closed has been altered by a week, which seems to be a miscommunication because our daycare thought she told us. I'm glad I brought it up at drop off.
    We're basically in scramble mode to figure out changes. I can't change my week, only because my boss is away and by the time she gets back and I ask, it would be too late almost. I'm gonna see if my mum can change her week, and if worse case scenario happens - M is gonna try to change his.

I think while we're off, we're gonna try to work on getting her off bottles. I'm vaguely hopeful but not pushing it much. Idk .... I may look up diff ideas.

Anyone with kids .... how did you swap to sippy? She has no issues with sippy and has water from it often.

Found out the dates we originally had for daycare being closed has been altered by a week, which seems to be a miscommunication because our daycare thought she told us. I'm glad I brought it up at drop off.
    We're basically in scramble mode to figure out changes. I can't change my week, only because my boss is away and by the time she gets back and I ask, it would be too late almost. I'm gonna see if my mum can change her week, and if worse case scenario happens - M is gonna try to change his.

I think while we're off, we're gonna try to work on getting her off bottles. I'm vaguely hopeful but not pushing it much. Idk .... I may look up diff ideas.

Anyone with kids .... how did you swap to sippy? She has no issues with sippy and has water from it often.
    I don’t have kids - but I remember with my brother, my dad had to “bring the bottle to work because it was broken and getting fixed”. In the mean time, hey, why don’t you try this cup?

Are you talking dropping from bottle to sippy?  We started with a sippy that had more of a nipple top.   Then moved to more of a standard sippy with a valve.

We still use take n toss sippies for some beverages but their tops are NOT secure and I wouldn't recommend for anything other than water or your toddler will coat you in any and all of her beverages. 
  • @charlotte989875, I hear ya on spending more time outside.  We have a great back deck off our bedroom and a fire pit in the backyard.  We hardly ever use either one!  We do have a nice front porch also.  We at least hang out there a few times a month.

I don't want to jinx myself, but I think I will finally get caught up at work over today and tomorrow.

We got our new couch in last week.  Undamaged this time, lol.  We love it!  The Amazon pics made it look dark brown and I hadn't really cared for the color.  But it's actually a medium-dark gray!  I was so happy and excited about that because it is a great color and much more what I wanted.  It's also nicer looking in person, than it is in the pics.  It's really comfortable and has a soft fabric.

I love the recliner ends, they are especially easy to use and the drop down table in the middle is awesome.  Though, any time we have it down, our cat claims it and makes it her perch.  Which is funny, because she'd previously sometimes hang out on the top of the couch, but she almost never used to hang out around the seating area.  We also rearranged our living room a little when we got it and have opened up the space.  It was such a small change, but the room feels more functional now.  

So odd, but Amazon gave me a $20 refund for the previous couch order.  They'd already refunded the full purchase price, including tax, so I'm not sure why I got a bonus $20.  But I'm certainly not complaining.  I'll take whatever help I can get on my Amazon credit card balance, lol!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ugh this will be annoyingly vague sorry but I think a friend is mad at me and I’m annoyed about it. She promised to do me a favor, one that I routinely do for her. Then she kept changing when she could do it to the point where it wouldn’t actually help, so I told her no problem, but I was just going to go ahead and handle it another way. And now she’s ignoring all my communications. I know she’s feeling defensive about this but come on girl, I’m the one who blew $50 because you flaked. 
  • @banana468 Yeh, bottle to sippy cup. We have playtex sipsters that she took to well for water.
    this specifically:
    https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/playtex-baby-sipsters-spill-proof-soft-spout-training-cup-with-removable-handles/6000195443988

I've heard that about the "take n toss" sippies, but they don't have handles so we opted against getting it {she seems to like handles right now lol}
  • Welp, I found out why my AC isn't working in my car. Apparently a small pebble punctured the condenser. Just my luck. H's friend is fixing it for much cheaper than what Toyota would charge. But I'm still commuting 2 hours every day in my car with no AC. Hopefully will be fixed tomorrow night. 

In the 2 years I've had this brand new car, I've already had to replace 2 tires, and now this. Ugh. 
  • @CharmedPam, I didn't realize you all were in Destin.  Glad you had a good time!  I loves me some FL Gulf Coast.  I joke to my H...except it's not really a joke, lol...that I can't retire from my W-2 job until we have enough money for a vacation, beach-front rental condo out there.

I've already looked into it and am on a realtor's list for that area.  Unfortunately, roughly speaking, although they can make an amazing gross rental income.  By the time you factor in the mortgage, HOA and PM fees and other expenses...it comes out around even/small profit.  Which is still pretty great for a "free" vacation condo for our own travel purposes.  But not so great when I currently need to be MAKING money with my savings/loans, lol.

For anyone curious, it's about $400 sq/ft.  In the neighborhood of $325K-$350K for a 2bd/1-2 ba ocean-front condo (less than 1,000 sq. feet).  For "partial" ocean-views or marina views or places across the street from the beach, the price drops a good bit (30-40%).  But that is completely unacceptable for my future "home away from home", lol.  It is ALL about the view for me!

It's actually a surprisingly affordable, MCOL area to live in as long as you aren't buying/renting right along the beach.  But then the job market is heavier on the lower-paying jobs that come with the tourist industry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Welp, I found out why my AC isn't working in my car. Apparently a small pebble punctured the condenser. Just my luck. H's friend is fixing it for much cheaper than what Toyota would charge. But I'm still commuting 2 hours every day in my car with no AC. Hopefully will be fixed tomorrow night. 

In the 2 years I've had this brand new car, I've already had to replace 2 tires, and now this. Ugh. 
    Oh no!  That is the worst luck on something so random!  I hope it's fixed really soon and that's great your H's friend can fix it cheaper and sounds like fairly quickly.  I had my condenser fail twice in a Honda Civic I owned years ago.  I know those are spendy repairs.  Great car overall, but that component was problematic in them.  The first time, I was just barely within my after-market warranty and got it fixed.  But then it broke again 13 months later, which was one month outside the warranty from the previous repair (eye roll).

I didn't bother fixing it.  I drove it without a/c for another year until the transmission started slipping.  Got another car. And sold the Honda in Nov. when people wouldn't care as much if the a/c was working, lol.  I disclosed the a/c didn't work and the transmission was on its last legs and priced it accordingly.  But it's one thing to say the a/c doesn't work when it's cold outside anyway.  And quite another to say the a/c doesn't work and now step into the oven-like conditions for a test drive.  That's a much tougher sell, lol.     
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I’m starting to prepare for the 4th since we have plans sprinkled throughout the rest of the week/weekend. I can’t believe it’s already next week. We also have ants in the bathroom and I’m not sure what else to do to get rid of them. There’s not even anything edible in there, and all of my stuff is closed up and clean. Seems like a boring scouting trip but they haven’t left yet. I just need them to avoid the kitchen. I’m making zucchini lasagna as my meal prep today. 

• @CharmedPam, I didn't realize you all were in Destin.  Glad you had a good time!  I loves me some FL Gulf Coast.  I joke to my H...except it's not really a joke, lol...that I can't retire from my W-2 job until we have enough money for a vacation, beach-front rental condo out there.

I've already looked into it and am on a realtor's list for that area.  Unfortunately, roughly speaking, although they can make an amazing gross rental income.  By the time you factor in the mortgage, HOA and PM fees and other expenses...it comes out around even/small profit.  Which is still pretty great for a "free" vacation condo for our own travel purposes.  But not so great when I currently need to be MAKING money with my savings/loans, lol.

For anyone curious, it's about $400 sq/ft.  In the neighborhood of $325K-$350K for a 2bd/1-2 ba ocean-front condo (less than 1,000 sq. feet).  For "partial" ocean-views or marina views or places across the street from the beach, the price drops a good bit (30-40%).  But that is completely unacceptable for my future "home away from home", lol.  It is ALL about the view for me!

It's actually a surprisingly affordable, MCOL area to live in as long as you aren't buying/renting right along the beach.  But then the job market is heavier on the lower-paying jobs that come with the tourist industry.
    Yeah we stayed in a condo rental!  But it was misleading because the pictures made it seem it was beach front when it really was a walk to the beach from the units.  H and I went to the beach at sundown and it was So so cool! Really interesting on the prices (thanks for doing the research for me!).  Our rental was a 3 bdroom/3 bath 2 story.  Really nice! It would be risky to own to rent over there because I’m sure you have vacant weeks.  Like, nothing is a guarantee @short+sassy that it would be continuously filled, right?

• This news makes me very sad.  I enjoyed the show and I liked her and I loved them together.  They were the definition of “team”.  So sad. 

https://abc7chicago.com/entertainment/beth-chapman-dies-husband-shares-on-twitter/5365787/

• Banana - Continued hugs and prayers for your family.

MKD - Changing from bottle to sippy with water was NBD for DD.  But for milk?  It was a battle we wished we started much sooner than her 1st birthday.  We love the Nuby brand for sippy cups and we are also starting to integrate the "Miracle Cup" type ones now.  I haven't gone to take n toss type ones since we are trying to reduce our plastic waste at home and I feel the heavier type cups hold up better to multiple washings.

Last night was fine.  We went out to dinner and we were there so long!  They had almost no customers and we waited so long for our food!  And its BBQ!  That stuff is already cooked for the most part!  We had a groupon for it, but used to go fairly regularly.  We probably won't be back there for a long time.  We didn't get home till after 7:30, so it was right to the tub for DD.

Then in the middle of the night, we had a weird issue between Cassie and Olive.  Cassie actually growled twice and ended up snapping at Olive.  It was very weird, since they have been co-existing nicely and I can see them bonding.  We think that Cassie didn't like Olive coming to that side of the bed to sleep.  So we will need to be on the look out.  But this morning, the two goobers were out running around and chasing each other, so they must be over it!

Tonight is yoga and I can't wait!  I haven't been in 3 weeks and I'm feeling it!  I used to be good at doing it at home, but we don't really have much extra space anymore with all of DDs stuff!

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    @charlotte989875 mmmm porch sits <3 

I just had to rip the band-aid off and do it. He was not happy and screamed his little head off for a while but eventually gave in. Then the next day was less screaming and then it was fine by day 3 I think (sort of like sleep training, gets better each day). This was only at nighttime FYI, daycare used sippy cups at age 1 so he transitioned there I just had to do it at home for bed

I did get sippy cups that were a little different than the water cups to designate water vs milk. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    levioosa said:
    I’m starting to prepare for the 4th since we have plans sprinkled throughout the rest of the week/weekend. I can’t believe it’s already next week. We also have ants in the bathroom and I’m not sure what else to do to get rid of them. There’s not even anything edible in there, and all of my stuff is closed up and clean. Seems like a boring scouting trip but they haven’t left yet. I just need them to avoid the kitchen. I’m making zucchini lasagna as my meal prep today. 
    Do you have bait traps out? It is so gross when the traps bring out tons of ants but then they go away just have to be patient. FWIW I asked our pest control person about the bathroom bc it surprised me and he said hair, skin cells, etc are a food source. I shed like crazy so stray hairs can attract them
  • Levioosa - Have you tried the Tetro brand bait traps?  They are the only thing that has ever worked for us.  If possible, put them outside the bathroom area on the outside of the house.  Or if you have a basement/crawl space, put them there.  We used to get bad ants in my old house, in the kitchen.  (Its off and on in the new house, never consistent, like the old house).  One year, I put the Tetro traps in the basement, on the wall where the window was, and they flocked there like crazy and stayed out of the kitchen.  I had the trap up around the sill plate area, if you have access to it.  That was the last year in the house though, so I laughed that I found the solution, then moved!
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I second different sippy cups for water vs. milk, with the milk cup having more of a nipple-like spout.
    Hard eyeroll at your friend @STARMOON44 , yay for enjoying summer weather in your own yard @charlotte989875 and the ocean is a workout @CharmedPam !
    Tonight is my sister's rehearsal dinner.  Brought my son for a haircut, have to pick up my dress that I had taken up in a bit...sister just asked me and other sister to give toasts at her reception uggghhhh
  • Thanks for the ant suggestions, everyone. I’ll have to ask FI what he’s been using and we can try your recommendations. I hate ant season. 

• @STARMOON44 Heavy eye roll for your friend.

Thanks ladies for your suggestion. I feel she's gonna fight it and I figured we can do it while she's home instead of daycare fighting.
    We have the same style but different colours for milk and water {I planned it that way} and would love to eventually love to move to a different sippy maybe in the next year {like the munchkin 360}
    Even if I can get her on during the day for sippy and bottle for night for a bit, I'd be fine with that.
    It'd make it easier to send just milk to daycare, cuz she has a sippy at daycare for water.

*sigh* this will not be easy.
  • @levioosa My boss had an issue with ants and used flea stuff on the ground {since she has a dog} and that seemed to help
  • @STARMOON44 Heavy eye roll for your friend.

Thanks ladies for your suggestion. I feel she's gonna fight it and I figured we can do it while she's home instead of daycare fighting.
    We have the same style but different colours for milk and water {I planned it that way} and would love to eventually love to move to a different sippy maybe in the next year {like the munchkin 360}
    Even if I can get her on during the day for sippy and bottle for night for a bit, I'd be fine with that.
    It'd make it easier to send just milk to daycare, cuz she has a sippy at daycare for water.

*sigh* this will not be easy.

Don't be afraid to let daycare do some heavy lifting.  You are paying them a good chunk of money.  They also have more experience than you at converting children from one thing to another.  Also, children are more likely to resist change when their parents want it, but are happy to change their ways for a non-parent.
  • @OliveOilsMom oh for sure. I just figure if we can get it started, it'll be a lot easier. She goes down for naps at daycare easier, so I figure she'll do better there anyways lmao
    I know it's just a "mom thing" but firsts, I like to kinda do it - even if it's something stupid like transitioning to sippy from bottles.
    {note: for potty training, we'll be heavily looking upon daycare for help because she's helped train many kids}
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    edited June 2019
    kvruns said:
    @CharmedPam, I didn't realize you all were in Destin.  Glad you had a good time!  I loves me some FL Gulf Coast.  I joke to my H...except it's not really a joke, lol...that I can't retire from my W-2 job until we have enough money for a vacation, beach-front rental condo out there.

When you get this beach front condo will there be a Wedding Woes Friends and Family discount? Mama needs a cheap vacation rental 
    Of course a WWFF beach vacay discount!

I can already probably swing one for any NOLA trips though, I know, not the same as the beach.  I have two sources ;).  One is a few blocks from the French Quarter and the other is less than one mile away (my personal duplex).  My current tenant there runs that side as an Airbnb.  It's a 100-year-old super cute house (if I do say so myself) and in a charming, walkable neighborhood.

My tenant is an attorney, but he missed his calling as an interior decorator, lol.  I teased him that my only regret with him as a tenant is he puts my owner-side to shame with how beautiful he made the rental side, lol.

Fun!  I found his listing:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/24358371?location=1518 Paul Morphy Street, New Orleans, LA, USA&amp;source_impression_id=p3_1561571889_YmGwnhT74g0LR0Ez

Edited: I couldn't find it without entering the address, so I'll probably pull the link after today.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So cute @short+sassy!!! Are those original floors?

Yeah we stayed in a condo rental!  But it was misleading because the pictures made it seem it was beach front when it really was a walk to the beach from the units.  H and I went to the beach at sundown and it was So so cool! Really interesting on the prices (thanks for doing the research for me!).  Our rental was a 3 bdroom/3 bath 2 story.  Really nice! It would be risky to own to rent over there because I’m sure you have vacant weeks.  Like, nothing is a guarantee @short+sassy that it would be continuously filled, right?
    Yeah, I've found you have to be really careful with that when booking.  Those are also the kind of areas that have a "price per night", but then tack on cleaning and management fees in the checkout.

No, there aren't guarantees they stay continuously filled.  But I get the impression they stay booked the vast majority of the time, all year long.  I know when I try to book condos...though usually one-bedroom ones...the pickings are pretty slim.  Even 4-6 weeks out.  And since at that point in our lives we could be flexible, we could plan our own trips around bookings.

The "slow" seasons are fall and spring, which is when my H and I usually go.  But even those aren't that slow.  People in colder climates LOVE FL in the winter.  That is a busy, busy time.  Summer is busy because kids are out of school.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    @banana468, my heart aches for you all.  Prayers to you all.

@MissKittyDanger, those 360 cups are great.....until you get an evil genius to figure out the rubber center can be yanked out!  That cup was GREAT with grand #1 and grand #2, but dang if little Miss LA didn’t figure that out while she was here :-(

@levioosa, the ant traps work well if place in just the right spot.  I have also had some luck with wiping all baseboards, backsplashes with vinegar as a repellant.  
  • So cute @short+sassy!!! Are those original floors?
    No, I wish!  We had them installed when I first bought the house about 8 years ago.  They're actually not hard woods, they're wood laminate.  I think they only have a 10 or 15- year life.  But they look just as good as when we first got them!  I've been really pleased.

The original flooring on that side was a carpet over wood parquet (sp?) floors.  I'm sure the wood parquet was beautiful at some point in time, but they were completely gouged and scratched all over.  I even asked my refinisher guy if they were salvageable.  He laughed and said, "No way!"

My side had carpet over heart pine hardwood floors.  I'm pretty sure those floors were original to the house.  They needed to be refinished, but looked absolutely amazing when we were done!

I don't really have a pic of them handy.  But here's a pic of Izzy and the floor in the background is that heart pine.  Unfortunately, you can't so much see it in this pic, but there are all these cool natural features in them.  Like various circle-sized darker wood that are the "hearts" of heart pine.

Wedding Countdown Ticker