Wedding Woes

A very Mondayish Monday

I slept like shit because I clearly wrenched my right shoulder Saturday night in my sleep and it's still hurting.  The late 30's are that fun time when you can sleep-injure yourself.  

I also spilled coffee all over my shoulder (because I'm that special) getting out of my car this morning.  Thankfully I have a black dress on, so I just smell it on myself.  

At least my boss is back and seems to be happy with my 'progress' using the platform upgrades.  She wants people to sit with me, but I am hoping I can go home after today.  We have a one on one meeting later.  

Our 4th weekend was pretty decent.  Didn't do too much, slept in a lot, spent a little more time with BIL/SIL/nieces before they went back home.  I was so bummed when they left Friday night since we knew it was our last time hanging out this trip.  We went to dinner at my parents last night to drop DefConn off to spend the night so my dad could watch him today. 

And finally, WAHOO to the USWNT!  That last game was thrilling.  I was on the edge my seat the whole time.  The Dutch really made it a great match.  Their keeper was fantastic.  DH and I screamed when we got the second goal and sealed the deal.  They are amazing and I agree, FUCKING PAY THEM.   <3 

Re: A very Mondayish Monday

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2019
    He’s such a cutie @kvruns!  
    @mrsconn23, I know all to well about sleep injuries.  And it’s usually my shoulder too!

Friday, H and I went to the vfw to watch the fireworks.  Saturday I cleaned my house top to bottom and felt SO good about myself after it.  I was drenched in sweat so figured 2 hrs of cleaning was my gym for the day.

Sunday my brother came over to sadly cut down the biggest tree in my yard for me.  But it was 75% dead due to thunder striking it last year.  Oh yeah, and after 4.5 years of living there my neighbor came out and we finally introduced ourselves.  Basically because I was taking down our privacy tree.  Yeah, I’m *that* person. 

• I'm having the Mondayest Monday ever. We got back in town late Saturday. I barely had time to throw in a load of laundry before bed. Then yesterday was crazy soccer day. We went to a pub for the USWNT game, then went to a game, then watched the finals for the South American and North American tournaments. I didn't make it to bed until after midnight last night, so I'm exhausted today! I'm getting a little cold, so that doesn't help. Today was supposed to be a big catch up day at work, but I'm thinking I might end up taking a half day sick time. At least it was a fun weekend. 
  • I didn't do much of anything this weekend and it was glorious.

Thursday, I ended up not going to K's family thing.  Their mother has made me pretty uncomfortable with some of the things she's said/done and I'm going to need some space for awhile.  Older WWers will recall some of the shennanigans former MIL pulled, so this is flaring up some old baggage for me.  I got some good perspective and advice from a friend (she's been through a divorce and has a kid), shared it with K, and we talked a lot of it out on Friday and made some boundaries for moving forward.  Friday I just chilled at home, while K went out of town for a show.  Saturday, we ran a few errands and bopped around town and K had a home show that night.  Sunday was recovery from Saturday.  :smiley:  
  • Also, I’m super hungry and really want to eat my lunch but it’s not even 10am yet. It’s going to be a long day. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    I slept like shit because I clearly wrenched my right shoulder Saturday night in my sleep and it's still hurting.  The late 30's are that fun time when you can sleep-injure yourself.  

This is so, so accurate. My neck is killing me right now. 

Weekend was good. Friday we watched fireworks from the boat. Saturday we went to a BBQ, and then to a local winery to see a Pink Floyd cover band. 

Unfortunately yesterday we found out our friend's 21 year old daughter was killed by a drunk driver early that morning. My H has been close with this family for most of his life. It's completely heartbreaking. 
  • Also, I’m super hungry and really want to eat my lunch but it’s not even 10am yet. It’s going to be a long day. 
    @charlotte989875 - this reminded me of a meme I came across recently lol

Same.

I'm snacking on goldfish vanilla cookies and not really wanting them but I'm hungry :(

• Unfortunately yesterday we found out our friend's 21 year old daughter was killed by a drunk driver early that morning. My H has been close with this family for most of his life. It's completely heartbreaking. 
    I’m so sorry to hear that, my thoughts are with you and her family :( @climbingwife

• Climbing - That is so sad.  Prayers for the poor girl, so much life ahead of her, cut short.

The weekend was good.  DD is doing well going on the potty for us.  We still need to tell her when its time, but she has done it a couple times herself.  But she only had 2 accidents from Wednesday through yesterday.  We sent her to daycare on Friday since they were having Wacky Water day!  We went to see Spiderman - so much fun! 

Saturday, BIL came over to watch DD.  MIL came too, because she didn't trust BIL to do it by himself!  We went down to Atlantic City for Hs birthday.  We went to the Borgata and had dinner at the buffet.  The weather outside was crazy, so the beer garden wasn't opened.  We gambled our $20 each.  H lost his pretty quick, but I had a good machine!  I won back H's money and another $45 by the time I cashed out.  We will be saving that cash for our Phillies game on Friday, so we can eat at the ballpark and pay for parking.  So a win-win for us!

H hurt his back on Wednesday, so he was pretty out of it.  Even on Saturday when we went out, he couldn't stand on his own for too long.  I finally convinced him to go see a chiropractor for his on and off back problems.  I'm about a year out from when I first started going to mine and she has done wonders for me!

My poor mom though, she tripped herself on the garden hose at the shore on the 3rd.  She didn't know she was standing on it, when she pulled it to water the flowers.  In her fall, she dislocated her elbow and got a decent cut on her chin.  My dad couldn't get her back up and they had to call an ambulance.  They got her up and took her to the hospital.  Took 3 attempts to reset her elbow (she convinced them to try the 3rd time, they were about to send her to a trauma hospital for surgery!).  She is all wrapped up and in a sling.  She was able to get an appointment with an orthopedist today to see if she might need surgery still.  Please send some healing vibes my mom's way!

• @climbingwife, Drunk driving is one of the downsides of long, holiday weekends and I'm sorry to hear this kind of tragedy hit so close to home for your family.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That is terrible @climbingwife.  T+P's for your friends.  So sad.  
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    that is terrible Climbingwife
  • Thanks guys.

The local police had been out doing check points as they usually do on holiday weekends. I always hope it helps to avoid tragedies like this. 
  • @climbingwife omg I'm so sorry to hear :(
  • @OliveOilsMom Yay potty training! :)
    Yikes, that fall must not have been good. My granny fucked up her elbow and it's been a disaster, so vibes to your mum for healing!

@levioosa I'M COMING TO GET THAT SWEET BABYYYYYYY
  • @levioosa I hope you're doing Ok! That has to be so scary. 
  • I have a long vent.  I swear, "when it rains, it pours".

So, as you all know, we just closed on those duplexes and are starting a major rehab.  This is going to leave us especially cash-poor through about mid-Aug., which is about when I'll get my first rehab draw from my loan.

I've been fortunate for the last couple years to have pretty stable tenants.  But let's review what is currently happening at just about the worst possible time for me:

--One of my tenants is moving out the end of this month, because her b/f got a job in FL.  I doubt I'll have someone else ready to move-in by August 1st, but that is my hope against hope.  Because my first loan payment on the duplexes is, of course, due on Aug. 1st.  I mean, I'll have the money either way at least, but it's another big bite out of my limited cash reserves.  She gave me proper notice and isn't breaking her lease so, of course, I'm not upset with her.  It just especially sucks because of the timing.

--Another tenant was great her first year renting from me.  But has started slipping over the last year.  Last month was the worst she's been and it looks like it's going to be even worse this month.  She paid $325 of the $875 due on Fri. July 5th (rent is due on the 1st) and will be paying the rest on July 19th.  She did something similar last month, but her first payment was more.  My H sent her a text that we thought last month was a one-off, but this is completely unacceptable.  He told her we would work with her this month also, but that's it.  We will not be giving her this much time in August, so either she needs to plan accordingly.  Or, if something has happened where the rent no longer fits comfortably in her budget, then we can get together and talk about a move-out plan.

--I had a new tenant move into one of my units in March.  And she lost her f/t job a short while later, smh.  So far, she's been "okay" paying the rent, all things considered.  I was supposed to have half the rent on Fri., July 5th (her rent is also due the 1st).  But then she texted me she wouldn't have it.  She also has a sideline business selling pralines and candied apples, both online and she supposedly sets up a booth outside the French Quarter on Fri./Sat. nights.  This last weekend there was a huge music festival called Essence Fest.  HUGE.  Only Jazz Fest and Mardi Gras are bigger.  It is SERIOUS bonanza-time for merchants.  She assured me she'd be out selling all weekend long and would pay as much as she could on Monday.  As such, to an extent, I wasn't really that worried.

I texted her a little while ago.  She was in too much "pain" this weekend to work at all, but can give me $300 tomorrow (she owes $850).  Ex-f**king-cuse me?!?!  You're broke as a joke, but totally blow-off one of the biggest selling weekends that NOLA will have all year.  Up to now, I've been very nice and understanding about her situation.  Especially because she is great about always pro-actively letting me know what is going on and that goes a long way with me.  But this is absolutely the final straw.  I haven't replied back because I need to cool down first and I'm not even sure what to say (sigh).

--Two of my "new" tenants had their rent due on July 1st.  Nothing from either one.  I'm not especially surprised, considering I gave them 30-Day Notices to Vacate by the end of July.  But still, that's another $1,000 in rent I'm not getting.  We also served Pay or Quit notices last week, so they have to do one or the other by this Thurs.  Quite frankly, I think it would be in everyone's best interest for them to just keep that rent money for their next place and move out by Thurs.  That is my hope.  But not my expectation.  If they don't do either, then it's $200...in cash...to file for each eviction on Friday.

Summary:  Well then.  That's the long and short of it.  I currently have $325 of the $2,725 total rent that was due to me on July 1st, smh.  Last I checked, I was in the rental real estate business.  Not the payday f**king loan business.  Especially considering my nominal late fees are nothing like those fees. 

Not even talking about the "new" tenants and duplexes.  I also might be having THREE vacancies to all of a sudden be trying to fill.  In the middle of summer.  Which usually seems a more difficult time of year, because no one wants to move when it is this hot.

I know this was long, thanks for hanging in there.  I swear, overall, I really do like owning rentals, lol.  And I will be okay financially, even with all this b.s. going on.  It's just that I'm already so stressed out and it's very frustrating to have to deal with four non-paying tenants on top of it.  JFC, unreal.  The negative side of owning rentals is sometimes having a first row seat of just how crappy and irresponsible people can be, when it comes to money.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kvrunskvruns member
    Wow S+S that is a lot all at once, I totally get the stress!!
  • @OliveOilsMom, I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your mom!  Ugh, that sounds so painful.  Sending all the healing vibes.

@levioosa, good luck finding a great home for that sweet one! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ei34ei34 member
    So sorry to hear @climbingwife and healing vibes to your mom @OliveOilsMom and to you @levioosa ...sorry for all the stress @short+sassy
    Love all the adorable photos up there<3  sleep-injuries are no joke!

Weekend was nice.  Sunday was my mom's surprise 60th.  She had a ball.  My brother pissed me off on another level- he always takes over any parties involving our parents, so I'm used to his bossiness. But he pisses on me on a different level than my sisters, even they acknowledge it.  I'm never collaborating with him on a party again...either it's at my home and I'm hosting it or I'll be a guest at his place and show up with nothing.  No more working with him.  BUT, end rant, my mom had a fantastic time, which is what matters.

• @short+sassy  one of the mom's in my June mom's group - her hubby had a thing at Essence Fest! Apparently it's one of his bigger income fests.

Could you send a warning to all tenants that you'll start charging interest if it's beyond x days late? I know other rental companies wouldn't accept it and you shouldn't either.
  • Feel free to ignore this but serious vent about M right now cuz he's pissing me off
    {note: if you wanna suggest anything I can do so resolve the situation so it doesn't get to this point again, that'd be great - after argument we both agreed we need more balance but still unsure to do it}

Flashback to last summer.
    I was inside a lot with a newborn. It was hot a.f and she got warm really quick {still does} so I would go out in the morning, then base our walk on weather.
    If it was hot, I'd go to the mall and wander. If it wasn't bad, I'd walk to the strip mall and walk around neighbourhood on the way home.

I told M since it's hard with a newborn, I wanted to do stuff the next {this} summer to make up for being boring.

NOW! I said ALL FRIGGEN WEEK that I wanted to take BabyKitten to a splash pad because MIL and sFIL took her last week and she was really nervous/hesitant. It's something new and apparently water can be chilly, so that might be why.
    I wanted to help her, even if it meant potentially carrying her {or holding her hand - she can kinda walk}
    He seemed fine with it. Saturday we just did groceries since it was still ridiculously hot out, so whatever that's fine.
    That night I even asked my mum to meet us so we could do a splash pad she wants to take BabyKitten when she babysits for a week. Good for everyone to experience it at least.

So I'm saying to M in the morning I wanted to potentially go early in case ... but we'd play it by how BabyKitten naps since she only takes 1 at home {she takes 2 at daycare ... whatever}
    Then - as I'm trying to figure out before texting my mum when to meet us - M suddenly is like "i wanna stay home. We're always going out"

Which turned into an argument because I kept saying how I wanted to do stuff this weekend if we weren't going to see his nanny.
    {Note: BabyKitten started shouting with us but she just wanted to be included lmao kinda killed the yelling portion of the argument}

M then says he'll do the trike, curtains and order contacts.
    We got the fucking trike in MAY for her birthday!
    We've been talking about the curtains since APRIL
    I have been asking M to order his contacts for 2 WEEKS!

*head desk*

Guess what got done? Contacts. That's it.
    Are you kidding me?

So I'm pissed cuz I keep asking him to do stuff {which is legit just drilling the posts in, I was gonna put up the bar/curtains}
    Before mentioning - no I cannot do the posts. I cannot put things up straight, and curtains would drive me insane if they're crooked.

Anyways .... I'm mad and he keeps saying we'll do stuff this week. No dude. It's busy and we don't have fucking time. Next weekend is M's bday, and I've already planned on taking him for lunch after a bank appt {my mum is watching BabyKitten for a couple hrs because we planned on seeing a movie but that's just not a thing}

Guhhh

/vent
  • kvrunskvruns member
    MKD did you take her by yourself or can you not (I think you don't drive, right?). That is definitely tough, I could see my H doing that because he woke up in a mood and didn't want to go anywhere/do anything even though we'd agreed on it. I'm usually just like whatever dude I'm going then bc I dont want to be stuck at home just bc he's being that way. Now as for how to get it through his head, idk, if you figure it out good luck bc I'm at the mercy of his whims and grump factor all the time as nothing I say or do gets through so I do what I want even though it puts more burden on me
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    edited July 2019
    @short+sassy  one of the mom's in my June mom's group - her hubby had a thing at Essence Fest! Apparently it's one of his bigger income fests.

Could you send a warning to all tenants that you'll start charging interest if it's beyond x days late? I know other rental companies wouldn't accept it and you shouldn't either.
    I do charge a $25 late fee if any portion of the rent is more than 5 days late.  And continue to add additional late fees for every 5 more days the rent is late.  However, for the tenant who lost her job, I've been waiving the late fees because it seemed like she was doing her best until she found another f/t job.  And, so far, she's always had it paid in full by mid-month.  However, even before this whole Essence Fest thing, I was planning to let her know that I'd need to start charging late fees again.  Because it's now been 3 months and she hasn't found another f/t job.  Though she does collect unemployment and picked up a p/t job.  

To the bolded.  YES!!!  Exactly!  It's a huge opportunity for anyone who sells anything that would appeal to a festival crowd.  And something like pralines...a NOLA-specific sweet treat that's only $2-$3/per and doesn't need to be refrigerated...is an easy, impulse purchase for tourists.  I'm just sayin'.  If I had a business where my sales would be exponentially higher for big event weekends, I'd have to practically be on my death bed to keep me away from it.  Even if my bills were caught up, but especially if they weren't.  Summer is actually the slow season here, so you need to strike while the iron is hot.  Essence Fest and Decadence (last weekend in Aug.) are about it, in an otherwise tourist-desolate time of year.

Edited to add: I don't know what the real story was.  Maybe pain/illness was a part of it, but it sounds more like lack of motivation.  Especially when you're talking about three whole days.  I'd assume she could have made $100-$200+/day in profit, depending on how long she worked.  Hence why, I need to start pulling in some of the slack.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker