Wedding Woes

"It just never worked out for me."

2»

Re: "It just never worked out for me."

• VarunaTT said:
    And just to complete my tangent, H wants one of these. I just don't know what to say anymore. 

Say yes?

They're so adorable.  I have puppy fever something fierce.
    On this fantastic puppies pic tangent.  I have to admit that, while I certainly think human babies are cute and like pics of them and want to briefly hold them when I see them in person, I don't feel any "tug" for them like I do when I see puppies or kittens.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Y'all are as bad as H is! I'm excited to go play with the puppies this weekend, but there are a million reasons that we do not need to adopt a puppy right now. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Congrats @cupcait927 💕💕
    Agree there's no tactful way to ask people about their family plans...if you're close enough and if they feel like it, they'll tell you 
  • @MyNameIsNot oh the puppy cuteness!
  • cupcait927 !

Another vote for there's not really a good way to ask.  DH and I tried for the first 3 or so years of marriage, including ovarian surgery for me.  In the meantime, my sister had a baby & my brother's girlfriend miscarried his.  DH and I started to look into adoption and I got laid off 2 weeks later and changed careers to become a teacher.  DH is 42 and I'll be 40 next month ( :o ), so we decided to just enjoy being a family of 2 humans & 2 dogs.  If I end up pregnant, we'll be excited and shocked.  But we're not actively TTC and I don't go crazy peeing on sticks in anticipation.  

Our friends & family know not to ask.  If others ask, I usually just say "biology hasn't been our friend."  If they ask about adoption, I say, "I just adopted a few hundred high school students as a teacher ... 1 major life change at a time."  If people ask about IVF / IUI, etc, I usually just say, "that's not an option we're pursuing."  I've had to abruptly end conversations and I've had people say some randomly insensitive things (my favorites are about how I should pray hard and just relax).  DH and I are at peace (and especially after changing my niece's diapers, I'm finding the silver linings).  
    UGH, these are THE WORST.  Followed closely by "just stop thinking about it and it will happen". 
  • Casadena said:
    cupcait927 !

Another vote for there's not really a good way to ask.  DH and I tried for the first 3 or so years of marriage, including ovarian surgery for me.  In the meantime, my sister had a baby & my brother's girlfriend miscarried his.  DH and I started to look into adoption and I got laid off 2 weeks later and changed careers to become a teacher.  DH is 42 and I'll be 40 next month ( :o ), so we decided to just enjoy being a family of 2 humans & 2 dogs.  If I end up pregnant, we'll be excited and shocked.  But we're not actively TTC and I don't go crazy peeing on sticks in anticipation.  

Our friends & family know not to ask.  If others ask, I usually just say "biology hasn't been our friend."  If they ask about adoption, I say, "I just adopted a few hundred high school students as a teacher ... 1 major life change at a time."  If people ask about IVF / IUI, etc, I usually just say, "that's not an option we're pursuing."  I've had to abruptly end conversations and I've had people say some randomly insensitive things (my favorites are about how I should pray hard and just relax).  DH and I are at peace (and especially after changing my niece's diapers, I'm finding the silver linings).  
    UGH, these are THE WORST.  Followed closely by "just stop thinking about it and it will happen". 
    I second that - that's just an awful thing to say. Does anyone like being told to relax?

I see my husband, myself, and my animals as a family.  But now that I think about it, I wonder if people think I'm trolling them when I announce that we are adding to our family.  Because I might be making an announcement soon on that end if we get a new chicken ...   And I definitely had a conversation last year with my parents about an unwanted pregnancy resulting in our family getting bigger, but judging by the subdued reactions they KNEW it was about rabbits, so I hope I'm not freaking them out.