Options

It's Happening Again -- Monday

2»

Re: It's Happening Again -- Monday

• Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    O
    But the big goings-on today?  National Championship college football game!  LSU vs. Clemson.  Right here in River City*, ie New Orleans.  Geaux LSU!  I don't even care much about or follow college ball, but it's hard to not get caught up in the excitement.  About 20-25% of my co-workers have LSU paraphernalia in their office or cube, year-round, lol.

*For those of you who did not catch this really obscure reference.  That is a line from one of the main songs in the Music Man.  And for those of you who did catch it, I am extraordinarily impressed!     
    Trouble with a capital T and that rhymes with P and that stands for pool!

Also, one of DH's favorites is the Simpson's episode parody where the song was about monorails. 
    I also can't hear the city name "Gary, Indiana", without that Music Man song going through my head, lol.

Here are the other songs that have scarred me for life when I just hear the name of the city:

Cincinnati = theme song to WKRP in Cincinnati
    Chattanooga = "Chattanooga Choo-Choo"
    St. Louis = "Meet Me in St. Louis".  This one I've cut down to only about half the time I hear the city's name, lol.
    Texarkana = "Eastbound and Down" (Smokey and the Bandit).  Fortunately, one rarely hears the city name Texarkana.  But there is a line from that song that is, "The boys are thirsty in Atlanta, but I'm stuck here in Texarkana."
    What about this? 

Oh yes!  For sure!  I'm glad Winslow, AZ is a city name that comes up about as infrequently as Texarkana, lol.

What a great pic someone arranged.  A flatbed Ford and everything, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hi all. I'm dead tired and haven't much to say, but wanted you to know I'm not gone, just mostly lurking. A two month old baby will do that.

Back to work as of last week, because maternity leave policies in America are garbage. But the intellectual work is nice.
    Agreed American mat leave is trash.

But hugs all around!
  • Options
    I'm overhearing two coworkers chat about needing to set time to chat about their ongoing projects (they are in the same department). 

CW1: How about just a weekly meeting. Maybe a 20 min stand up
    CW2: Ohhh YES!!!! I LOVE standups. That is an awesome idea.

I had no idea "stand up" meetings were so exciting LOL. I get that it is supposed to make it more informal but like seriously yall its a half hour meeting. call a spade a spade.
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    I'm overhearing two coworkers chat about needing to set time to chat about their ongoing projects (they are in the same department). 

I had no idea "stand up" meetings were so exciting LOL. I get that it is supposed to make it more informal but like seriously yall its a half hour meeting. call a spade a spade.
    I hate “stand ups” and think 1) the same is stupid (it’s just a meeting) and 2) that either you’re done with the work or not. 
  • Options
    kvruns said:

I hate “stand ups” and think 1) the same is stupid (it’s just a meeting) and 2) that either you’re done with the work or not. 
    I don't know what a "stand up" is.  Is that where people are standing up for a meeting to make sure it is on the shorter side?  If so, where would one take or look at notes?

Now, if it's at the bar down the street with some cocktails.  You know, purely for the convenience of a comfortable countertop for standing.  Then I'm seeing the benefit, lol.

-----------------------

As an unrelated note, I have decided to not be a baby and just stay my normal work hours.  I think I'll be good enough with my alternate route.  A lot of other people have already jetted out of here.  But the majority of my coworkers live further away in the suburbs, so it is understandable.

Trump was talking about going to the game today also, though I don't know if he still is.  Ya know, there should just be a rule/tradition that when major events are happening in a city that have nothing to do with POTUS, that person needs to just stay TF out.  Traffic is going to be an unmitigated nightmare anyway.  We don't need your presence closing down freeways and major roads for periods of time, on top of that.  For once, that isn't personal against Trump, lol.  That goes for all of 'em.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kvruns said:

I don't know what a "stand up" is.  Is that where people are standing up for a meeting to make sure it is on the shorter side?  If so, where would one take or look at notes?

Now, if it's at the bar down the street with some cocktails.  You know, purely for the convenience of a comfortable countertop for standing.  Then I'm seeing the benefit, lol.

-----------------------

As an unrelated note, I have decided to not be a baby and just stay my normal work hours.  I think I'll be good enough with my alternate route.  A lot of other people have already jetted out of here.  But the majority of my coworkers live further away in the suburbs, so it is understandable.

Trump was talking about going to the game today also, though I don't know if he still is.  Ya know, there should just be a rule/tradition that when major events are happening in a city that have nothing to do with POTUS, that person needs to just stay TF out.  Traffic is going to be an unmitigated nightmare anyway.  We don't need your presence closing down freeways and major roads for periods of time, on top of that.  For once, that isn't personal against Trump, lol.  That goes for all of 'em.
    We use stand ups as part of agile methodology for project teams. So like if you're on a smallish team trying to accomplish a short term project, you might have a couple of stand ups during the week where everyone updates which tasks are complete and which are still coming. (I'm bad at analogies, but think building a house, floor person will say "hardwoods done, tile starting Weds"). Typically something where you're checking off items on a wall-board or one person is updating a gantt chart. Not really something where you need notes. I still hate them. 

A year or two ago, Atlanta hosted the CFB championship and the cheeto in chief decided to attend. It just so happened that there was freezing rain in the forecast, so they called a snow day. Most large companies here allow non-essential employees the day off or a WFH day when local schools are closed, so most everyone got to stay home. There was no rain, freezing or otherwise. It was a running joke for a while that the city just took a traffic holiday. 
  • Options
    @flantastic was just wondering about you the other day :)

The weather was unseasonably warm this weekend, so other than Disney On Ice we were outside a lot.  A parent is being beyond passive-aggressive via email from Saturday - currently.  The school director is sometimes a PITA but she's the queen of the perfect email reply.  The colleagues and I quasi-involved and on the email were joking "who needs the US Open, this is the best match we've ever witnessed?".  Whew.