Wedding Woes
Options

Did the time change do this Monday in?

2»

Re: Did the time change do this Monday in?

• Options
    Also, I think DS' four month sleep regression has coincided with the time change. We are not doing well over here.
    Oh no! :( 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    They just closed the school district in the town next to mine until after spring break, which is 4 weeks total (the next 2 weeks where the kids were to be in school and then 2 weeks for spring break).  Two students have tested positive for Covid-19. I have all sorts of thoughts and feels about this.  My main thing is, how are community businesses going to support the parents of the children who are unexpectedly out of school now and at the last minute?  I wonder what my company will do for people who are thrust into this situation.  Also, if all the schools are closed, does this mean all childcare options that are district-associated are also gone?   (ETA: the press release said kids are being encouraged to stay home and watch tv or play video games, but basically not intermingle with each other...FFS, really?!) Because that's massive.  I'm lucky, because if DefConn's schools close, I WAH and can flex very easily.  I remember how stressful it was this summer when I ended up in the office for a few weeks unexpectedly. 

The weekend was all right.  My cousin came to town with his family.  We enjoyed entertaining on Saturday.  Mom is still doing really well, which is great.  We did meet as a family yesterday to discuss getting together a plan for services for mom when the time comes and then afterward my sisters, my mom, and I chatted for about an hour and a half. 

Between DST, a bit of a hangover, and dreading hashing out funeral plans yesterday, I was pretty in my head.  FIL was here when I got back yesterday and I literally hid as soon as dinner was over.  He just talks too much sometimes and my brain literally breaks and cannot take it.  DH has to figure out how to tell his dad it's time to go, because he knows when I'm hiding that I'm at my max capacity. 

I have major issues with that concept of closing for so long.   FOUR WEEKS??   
    -Did you look into any idea of how that effects the parents economically?  As you said, you can flex but how many parents of younger kids are now really SOL especially if they HAVE to work out of the house?  
    -You've just really screwed over the academic development for the kids.   They are out for a MONTH.   What are the local teachers unions going to say when that year their teachers are reviewed and told that the students underperformed because you screwed them over and told them to stay home? 
    -What does this do for HS students who are taking AP or college level courses?  I hope they have measures in place so those who need to take the AP exams in May can do so.  

Based on the information this isn't the flu.   It's worse than the flu.   But if you have TWO students that came down with this virus and you're closing school why aren't you doing this when there are other diseases that come out?     I guess the local health department sees the 14 days as a guideline? https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/guidance-for-schools.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fspecific-groups%2Fguidance-for-schools.html  

I went out yesterday to get some stuff for my flight this week.   Ulta, Target and CVS all were out of hand sanitizer even in travel sizes.   I don't want to get this however if we close everything that isn't going to stop it either.  
    I mean two of the weeks are spring break, but there's probably a lot of people using vacation for it...so yeah.  What do you do?  Also, if ALL camps/activities district-connected are closed until they go back to school then what about the parents who had kids in some sort of school sponsored spring break camp or day care? 

This district does do E-learning, so they won't have to make up anything.  But that does not replace real classroom learning.  Also, state sponsored testing is supposed to be next week.  So many logistics and other shit.  The decision seems rash, IMO.  
  • Options
    Everyone is talking coronavirus in my office because we know people who know the dude who just exposed untold numbers of people here in St. Louis. It's ridiculous. They were told on Thursday and multiple times a day to self-quarantine. He didn't just go to the fancy father-daughter dance on Sunday, either. Apparently he also went out for coffee on Saturday morning. So now they're trying to figure out how many places he might have decided to run errands to while lying to the county health department about following the quarantine.
    My office is abuzz because it was just announced today that Louisiana has its first presumptive case of the coronavirus.  No details, other than the person is a resident of Jefferson parish (county) and currently in an Orleans parish hospital.

We've been largely immune to the panic so, hopefully, it stays that way.  I bought toilet paper and paper towels just fine on Sat., lol.  There was the same amount there always is.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Everyone is talking coronavirus in my office because we know people who know the dude who just exposed untold numbers of people here in St. Louis. It's ridiculous. They were told on Thursday and multiple times a day to self-quarantine. He didn't just go to the fancy father-daughter dance on Sunday, either. Apparently he also went out for coffee on Saturday morning. So now they're trying to figure out how many places he might have decided to run errands to while lying to the county health department about following the quarantine.
    This just happened in NH; a doctor who had been exposed & tested positive went to a mixer that night even though he was told to self-quarantine. The person who should be most aware of spreading the disease! 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    They just closed the school district in the town next to mine until after spring break, which is 4 weeks total (the next 2 weeks where the kids were to be in school and then 2 weeks for spring break).  Two students have tested positive for Covid-19. I have all sorts of thoughts and feels about this.  My main thing is, how are community businesses going to support the parents of the children who are unexpectedly out of school now and at the last minute?  I wonder what my company will do for people who are thrust into this situation.  Also, if all the schools are closed, does this mean all childcare options that are district-associated are also gone?   (ETA: the press release said kids are being encouraged to stay home and watch tv or play video games, but basically not intermingle with each other...FFS, really?!) Because that's massive.  I'm lucky, because if DefConn's schools close, I WAH and can flex very easily.  I remember how stressful it was this summer when I ended up in the office for a few weeks unexpectedly. 

The weekend was all right.  My cousin came to town with his family.  We enjoyed entertaining on Saturday.  Mom is still doing really well, which is great.  We did meet as a family yesterday to discuss getting together a plan for services for mom when the time comes and then afterward my sisters, my mom, and I chatted for about an hour and a half. 

Between DST, a bit of a hangover, and dreading hashing out funeral plans yesterday, I was pretty in my head.  FIL was here when I got back yesterday and I literally hid as soon as dinner was over.  He just talks too much sometimes and my brain literally breaks and cannot take it.  DH has to figure out how to tell his dad it's time to go, because he knows when I'm hiding that I'm at my max capacity. 

I have major issues with that concept of closing for so long.   FOUR WEEKS??   
    -Did you look into any idea of how that effects the parents economically?  As you said, you can flex but how many parents of younger kids are now really SOL especially if they HAVE to work out of the house?  
    -You've just really screwed over the academic development for the kids.   They are out for a MONTH.   What are the local teachers unions going to say when that year their teachers are reviewed and told that the students underperformed because you screwed them over and told them to stay home? 
    -What does this do for HS students who are taking AP or college level courses?  I hope they have measures in place so those who need to take the AP exams in May can do so.  

Based on the information this isn't the flu.   It's worse than the flu.   But if you have TWO students that came down with this virus and you're closing school why aren't you doing this when there are other diseases that come out?     I guess the local health department sees the 14 days as a guideline? https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/guidance-for-schools.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fspecific-groups%2Fguidance-for-schools.html  

I went out yesterday to get some stuff for my flight this week.   Ulta, Target and CVS all were out of hand sanitizer even in travel sizes.   I don't want to get this however if we close everything that isn't going to stop it either.  
    I mean two of the weeks are spring break, but there's probably a lot of people using vacation for it...so yeah.  What do you do?  Also, if ALL camps/activities district-connected are closed until they go back to school then what about the parents who had kids in some sort of school sponsored spring break camp or day care? 

This district does do E-learning, so they won't have to make up anything.  But that does not replace real classroom learning.  Also, state sponsored testing is supposed to be next week.  So many logistics and other shit.  The decision seems rash, IMO.  
    I agree.   Obviously you can't control when a disease hits but this DOES NOT STOP IT.   What do they think they're solving by doing this and with zero notice?  Do they think that every HS student is going to stay home in isolation?    And for any parent of a kid too young to stay home for two weeks during school hours, what's the alternative? It's hard enough for most working parents to scrounge for that kind of PTO and doing it on zero notice is not something that everyone can do.  

I'm really curious to see what the fallout becomes in your area from an employer / business standpoint.  
  • Options
    This just happened in NH; a doctor who had been exposed & tested positive went to a mixer that night even though he was told to self-quarantine. The person who should be most aware of spreading the disease! 
    A doctor should know better, but I think all this circulation that this is mild and you'll recover fine unless you're elderly or immune compromised is getting people to ignore the quarantine. I don't think people should panic and buy up all the toilet paper, but I do think if you're told to quarantine you should do it! It may only be elderly/sick people, but those lives matter too. 
  • Options
    A doctor should know better, but I think all this circulation that this is mild and you'll recover fine unless you're elderly or immune compromised is getting people to ignore the quarantine. I don't think people should panic and buy up all the toilet paper, but I do think if you're told to quarantine you should do it! It may only be elderly/sick people, but those lives matter too. 
    Exactly!  I personally am not that worried about catching this flu or any other.  It's the bummer of feeling lousy for 1-2 weeks and that's about it.

But I'm not going to work or flitting about town running errands, if I know or strongly suspect I have the flu.  Because I don't want to accidentally get someone else sick who COULD have major complications from contracting the flu!  That's just common sense and protecting the "herd".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I know you’re supposed to avoid touching your face - bit do you know how hard that is for me to do?

• Options

My all-time favorite cabinet color is Cherry.  Which I would judge on the darker side.  But it is one of my H's least favorite.  So that isn't happening unless we happen to buy a house that already has cherry-colored cabinets in good condition.  Fat chance.  Cherry is not unheard of, but it's unusual.

White seems like it is the most popular, though it is one of my least favorites.  My current kitchen has white cabinets because that is what was there when we bought the house.  Not what I would chose, but it's fine.  As long as cabinets are in good condition and don't look ugly/dated, I'm not changing them.

Please teach me to love cherry because we have cherry cabinets and I HATE them. H and I were just talking about repainting them yesterday. 
    I'll try, lol.

Cherry is such a glossy, rich tone.  It's a warm, wood color with just a hint of natural reddish/maroon color.

However, what might make you all like the color even better is to discuss the enormous amount of work it is to repaint kitchen cabinets, lol.  We did that as part of the reno for a duplex we bought a few years ago, in order to help "save money".  Not worth it!  It was SO much work and added weeks to our timeline.  True, it was two kitchens.  But they were both fairly small kitchens.

First, you have to strip off all the old paint.  However, for this step, look around where you live.  You can sometimes find services that will do this for you.  At least for all the cabinet doors and drawers.  They basically have big vats of paint stripper that they put stuff in.

Then you need to paint everything.  2-3 coats.  And wait 1-2 days for it to dry between each coat.  This may not be true where you live but, down here, we also need to watch the humidity.  When humidity levels are too high, you can't paint anything because it won't "stick".
    The problem is we repainted cabinets in our old house in Ohio do we know it’s do-able. Although we weren’t working yet at that time...
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    @charlotte989875 good luck to your H
    @flantastic ugh daylight savings and infant sleep schedules don't mix 
    I don't agree with schools being closed for some of the long stints I've heard.  Not that I'd mind my own school closing for a few days  ;)
  • Options

My all-time favorite cabinet color is Cherry.  Which I would judge on the darker side.  But it is one of my H's least favorite.  So that isn't happening unless we happen to buy a house that already has cherry-colored cabinets in good condition.  Fat chance.  Cherry is not unheard of, but it's unusual.

White seems like it is the most popular, though it is one of my least favorites.  My current kitchen has white cabinets because that is what was there when we bought the house.  Not what I would chose, but it's fine.  As long as cabinets are in good condition and don't look ugly/dated, I'm not changing them.

Please teach me to love cherry because we have cherry cabinets and I HATE them. H and I were just talking about repainting them yesterday. 
    I'll try, lol.

Cherry is such a glossy, rich tone.  It's a warm, wood color with just a hint of natural reddish/maroon color.

However, what might make you all like the color even better is to discuss the enormous amount of work it is to repaint kitchen cabinets, lol.  We did that as part of the reno for a duplex we bought a few years ago, in order to help "save money".  Not worth it!  It was SO much work and added weeks to our timeline.  True, it was two kitchens.  But they were both fairly small kitchens.

First, you have to strip off all the old paint.  However, for this step, look around where you live.  You can sometimes find services that will do this for you.  At least for all the cabinet doors and drawers.  They basically have big vats of paint stripper that they put stuff in.

Then you need to paint everything.  2-3 coats.  And wait 1-2 days for it to dry between each coat.  This may not be true where you live but, down here, we also need to watch the humidity.  When humidity levels are too high, you can't paint anything because it won't "stick".
    I was debating painting just my kitchen cabinet doors.  I was going to go with a light gray ... if I take all the doors off and paint them in my garage this year (or outside if it is a nice day), do you think it will be as much of a headache as what you went through?  Because if so, I might just leave them as is.  

I really do love the cherry colour, but hubby doesn't like it, so I may never have cherry wood anything.  I do have a cherry tree!  That's my consolation prize.

• Options

I'll try, lol.

I was debating painting just my kitchen cabinet doors.  I was going to go with a light gray ... if I take all the doors off and paint them in my garage this year (or outside if it is a nice day), do you think it will be as much of a headache as what you went through?  Because if so, I might just leave them as is.  

I really do love the cherry colour, but hubby doesn't like it, so I may never have cherry wood anything.  I do have a cherry tree!  That's my consolation prize.

• Options
    kerbohl said:

I'll try, lol.

Painting just the doors/drawers would be a lot less work, but still a good bit.  I don't think you'd be able to do it in a day, though.

You need to sand them all down first.  I highly recommend getting a sander if you don't already have one.  The basic ones are fairly cheap, $40-$60 (plus sand paper).  Or find a place like I mentioned above.  You don't necessarily need to get all the old paint off.  But you want to start with a mostly smoothed, even surface.  

Then it takes 2-3 coats to paint them and they need to dry between each coat.  Probably at least a few hours, though we waited at least one day between each coat.

Plus there is also time in taking the doors off the hinges and taking the "pulls" off.  Then putting the pulls back on and hanging them back up again.  We replaced all the hinges and pulls, while we were at it, because the previous ones were old and "meh".

I totally forgot I have a pic handy of one of the kitchens where we repainted the cabinets!  This is the "after" pic, which I hope is obvious, lol.  Other than we needed to put the doors back up for the side cabinet thing.  I couldn't find "before" pics.  As I mentioned, it was two of these kitchens because the property is a duplex.  But this will give you an idea of how small each kitchen is.

As an aside, I think that side cabinet thing was where an in-wall oven once lived.  Though it wasn't being used for that when I bought it.  We ended up installing shelves into it, so it could be used as a pantry and/or a spot to put small kitchen appliances, including a microwave.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kerbohl said:

I'll try, lol.

Painting just the doors/drawers would be a lot less work, but still a good bit.  I don't think you'd be able to do it in a day, though.

You need to sand them all down first.  I highly recommend getting a sander if you don't already have one.  The basic ones are fairly cheap, $40-$60 (plus sand paper).  Or find a place like I mentioned above.  You don't necessarily need to get all the old paint off.  But you want to start with a mostly smoothed, even surface.  

Then it takes 2-3 coats to paint them and they need to dry between each coat.  Probably at least a few hours, though we waited at least one day between each coat.

Plus there is also time in taking the doors off the hinges and taking the "pulls" off.  Then putting the pulls back on and hanging them back up again.  We replaced all the hinges and pulls, while we were at it, because the previous ones were old and "meh".

I totally forgot I have a pic handy of one of the kitchens where we repainted the cabinets!  This is the "after" pic, which I hope is obvious, lol.  Other than we needed to put the doors back up for the side cabinet thing.  I couldn't find "before" pics.  As I mentioned, it was two of these kitchens because the property is a duplex.  But this will give you an idea of how small each kitchen is.

As an aside, I think that side cabinet thing was where an in-wall oven once lived.  Though it wasn't being used for that when I bought it.  We ended up installing shelves into it, so it could be used as a pantry and/or a spot to put small kitchen appliances, including a microwave.

Not a great comparison photo but here’s how ours turned out this first time. It definitely took a few days but it wasn’t hard, just took time. 

• Options
    @charlotte989875, So nice!  Painting the walls a lighter color with the white cabinets really brightens and lightens up that room.  Looks like the door and shelves in the background also got painted white, which also gives a fresher look as compared to the darker wood.

But I have to ask about the saloon doors!  Do they serve a function or are they just a design choice?  I know sometimes doorways are weird and typical door sizes won't fit.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @charlotte989875, So nice!  Painting the walls a lighter color with the white cabinets really brightens and lightens up that room.  Looks like the door and shelves in the background also got painted white, which also gives a fresher look as compared to the darker wood.

But I have to ask about the saloon doors!  Do they serve a function or are they just a design choice?  I know sometimes doorways are weird and typical door sizes won't fit.
    Ha I have no idea what the saloon doors were about. They were there when we ugly and we didn’t stay long enough in the house to bother to change them out! They certainly  were an interesting design choice.