Wedding Etiquette Forum

Etiquette for Corona Comments

Does anyone have any tips on the most polite responses to questions/comments like, "You know they wont have a vaccine by [insert wedding date here], and you're still having your wedding?!"   and   "You are putting everyone at risk of catching the virus by putting them in the same room together."  

We will not be moving our wedding date for Corona and instead are having a smaller guest list. 

Getting a lot of similar questions from someone that I cannot leave off of the guest list...
Would appreciate any guidance on the most polite way to respond. Thanks

Re: Etiquette for Corona Comments

• You should respond by telling them what you’re doing to comply with the CDC recommendations in your area (ie not inviting more ppl than guideline, masks/sanitizer available, social distancing, etc.) and keep your guests safe. 

If you’re not doing those things then you have a bigger problem than what people are asking about your plans. 
  • You should respond by telling them what you’re doing to comply with the CDC recommendations in your area (ie not inviting more ppl than guideline, masks/sanitizer available, social distancing, etc.) and keep your guests safe. 

If you’re not doing those things then you have a bigger problem than what people are asking about your plans. 
    This. At the very least, you need to reassure guests that you are keeping their safety in mind. Otherwise, the likelihood is that even the smaller guest list you have in mind will shrink further, maybe to no guests at all.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    "You are putting everyone at risk of catching the virus by putting them in the same room together."

Your guest-that-you-can't-leave-off-the-guestlist is correct.  I'm assuming it's an immediate family member, someone who "has" to be in attendance?  The most polite way to respond is to move your wedding from a room to an open, outdoor space.  And ditto PP, require masks and make sure there's adequate social distancing. 

• Here are a few polite responses:
    "We are requiring masks and putting family groups six feet apart."
    "We won't have any congregational singing" (if a church wedding)
    "Our caterers are all masked and gloved and will be serving people rather than having a buffet"
    "Our venue is using negative pressure ventilation"
    "We'll have a livestream of our ceremony for people who aren't able to attend due to concerns about Covid-19"

Stuff like that is a very polite way to address their concerns without dismissing them.
  • maine7mob said:
    Here are a few polite responses:
    "We are requiring masks and putting family groups six feet apart."
    "We won't have any congregational singing" (if a church wedding)
    "Our caterers are all masked and gloved and will be serving people rather than having a buffet"
    "Our venue is using negative pressure ventilation"
    "We'll have a livestream of our ceremony for people who aren't able to attend due to concerns about Covid-19"

Stuff like that is a very polite way to address their concerns without dismissing them.
    Okay that just won’t be true. Very few places have negative air pressure ventilation. Hospitals don’t even have negative air pressure ventilation systems for every room. They take a tremendous amount of maintenance and they only work if the area is also sealed. 

• maine7mobmaine7mob member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2020
    ^^^Sarcasm. Of course venues don't have negative pressure ventilation. My point was that the OP needs to meet the objections with evidence of their concern for their guests, not polite brush-offs.
  • maine7mob said:
    ^^^Sarcasm. Of course venues don't have negative pressure ventilation. My point was that the OP needs to meet the objections with evidence of their concern for their guests, not polite brush-offs.
    Was it really sarcasm?  It was in the middle of a lot of great suggestions that can help mitigate risk and while that *could* be a fantastic thought it's not viable.

Knowing that sarcasm can be hard to understand when spoken it's even harder to understand in writing and when thrown in the middle of other suggestions.   

That said, I think we are all on the same page that the OP needs to be very clear ith all the precautions that will be in place at her event so any guests know how to make an informed decision regarding whether or not they will be attending. 
  • maine7mob said:

• Agreed @banana468. But yes, it was a joke to point out the absurdity of just dismissing people's concerns.
  • I've just been saying, "If you're uncomfortable, you are free to stay at home." LOL. They stop talking after that. 
  • I've just been saying, "If you're uncomfortable, you are free to stay at home." LOL. They stop talking after that. 
    Well I would take this as you don’t care enough about the safety of your guests to explain what you’re doing to mitigate risks and that you really don’t care if people come or not, or get sick or not. I wouldn’t continue that conversation either but I’d sure as hell be talking about it with other potential guests. 
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2020
    I've just been saying, "If you're uncomfortable, you are free to stay at home." LOL. They stop talking after that. 
    Of course they stop talking. No one wants to engage with someone who is playing fast and lose with people's health and safety and mocks legitimate health concerns.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2020
    I've just been saying, "If you're uncomfortable, you are free to stay at home." LOL. They stop talking after that. 
    Because you're coming off like you don't care about their need not to get sick at your wedding. That's a highly valid issue, and your "LOL" treats it as a joke. Why continue interaction with someone with that attitude?
    LOL I mean, it's just a silly pandemic that 700,000 humans have died from. But yeah, don't come to my wedding if you're going to overreact. How ridiculous, right?!?