Wedding Woes

Christmas Eve Eve

What's on YOUR list? 

I'm trying to lock myself in my office to both work and wrap ALL THE THINGS.  I can't find the pair of earrings we bought Chiquita which are cheap but I'm annoyed because they're Hamilton earrings and she'd love them. 

The mini backpack from Santa is in Springfield, MA which is a shipping black hole.   I think that's going to be a 3 Kings gift! 

And now we're due for possible power outages on Christmas Day.  I'm trying to plan in my head what we can do in case the rib roast is going to be on the gas grill. 

Re: Christmas Eve Eve

• Logging off work at 2!  Have SO much kitchen work left and my parents were out late last night, so I’m at a standstill at what I can do. It’s been taking longer than expected!

@banana468, just saw an article on USPS’ huge backlog of deliveries!  

• So M & I are trying to figure out something better for the epi pen situation.
    For the 2nd time, we left it in the car over night and have to replace.
    Downside is this time we needed to get script refilled - which involves more runaround than anticipated.
    I had to call clinic, but BK's dr isn't in SO they said to have pharmacy fax the script on file to them with note saying urgent, and that way they can get another dr to fill it.

M is wfh during lock down so he's picking up at lunch to drop at daycare - I told M to drop the card with giftcards for daycare then also so he doesn't forget.

Tomorrow I'm working half day. By the time I get home, M is gonna run to his parents to drop and pick up gifts. BK will open them when she gets up from her nap lol

We did open gifts from daycare and we got the cutest photos <3 Plus BK got "poh-ees" They're off-brand my little pony but she loves because BRUSH lmao I love seeing when she loves something that isn't a particular brand because it shows kids really don't g.a.f about brands.
    I'm convinced if I have BK an off brand Elsa, she'd be stoked because it looks like Elsa.

Anyways!
    It's slow lately so I'm grateful this my last full day.
    I'm probably going to mess around this afternoon and just clear up stuff cuz tomorrow I won't really be working - we've talked about having starbucks and sitting around chatting.
    My boss has a brief zoom meeting at like 10 but that will be like 10mins

I'm hoping to get stuff cleared up tonight and that way when BK goes to bed tomorrow, we can just focus on wrapping the remaining of our stuff.
    We really dropped the ball on stocking stuff, but she's getting so much so I'm not super worried.
    I've told my mum and IL's that we should all try to do the 4 gift idea
    Some to want; something need; something to wear and something to read - but altering because BK has a lot of books and doesn't read yet lol
  • Very similar. I'm trying to work and finishing wrapping stuff. I impulsively bought standing roast at fresh market last night and have now realized that I have no idea what I'm doing, so I'm trying to find a simple enough recipe that I won't screw up this beautiful piece of meat. Covid means pared down, so I only have about 2-3 lbs. I'm so scared of overcooking it. 

Also, a friend is supposed to stop by for a socially distant picnic lunch on my deck today, and I realized I wasn't super clear about wanting it to be a BYOB deal. 

Isn't this supposed to be a slow and quiet week? Because it sure doesn't feel like it!
    So if you look up Cooks Country or Alton Brown you'll find a ton of options to cook it. 

Do you have a meat thermometer?  That's going to be your best tool to ensure you don't over cook it and at 2-3 lbs you won't need a ton of time in the oven.  
  • @banana468, good luck with your Christmas Day power and the rib roast!

I decided I need an "appetizer smorgasbord" for my 4-day weekend.  Unfortunately, that means more cooking than I am used to, lol.  There is a "fancier" grocery store in town that I am going to hit up for some of that either tonight or tomorrow morning.

I needed to return a microwave (long story) to Walmart.  I wasn't sure how long I had to return it, but it was close to it being 30 days since I bought it.  My H and I went last night and also did some shopping.  I was dreading it!  Thinking it was going to be packed just three days before Christmas.  We strategically waited until 8PM, but I still thought it was going to be bad.  We were SO pleasantly surprised to find the store almost empty.  Nobody else was in line at the Customer Service desk.  We also walked right up to a cashier when we were ready to checkout!  My H and I were joking to each other, "Are we missing something?  Did we enter an alternate dimension?"  Note to self: future Walmart trips need to be after 8PM on weekdays.  

I'm taking a vacation day tomorrow so 4-day weekend!  Yay!  I have some critical things to do at work today, but should have plenty of time to get it done.

I LOVE after-Christmas sale shopping, so that is my one plan of attack on Saturday.  I'm pretty focused on where I go and what I buy.  In a nutshell, "gift type sets/items" that are edible and 50% off.  Like multi-flavor hot chocolates.  Like the little "cocktail" mixer bottles that are sold as a set of 5 or 10 different cocktails.  Just add ice and liquor!

Speaking of handy cocktails, have any of you seen Keurig's new Drinkworks?  It's pods with alcohol in them and there are dozens of cocktail choices.  The machine can chill the water so it comes out cold and even knows if the beverage should come out frozen.  And can do that also!  That's what I really want Santa to bring me.  But he won't, lol.  Because Santa knows I don't have the counter space right now.  Plus everything about this machine is spendy right now because it is the only thing like it on the market.  But that will change with time and bring the prices down.

Maybe if I am a good girl this year.  And organize my house and kitchen better.  Santa will bring me one next year ;).  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jstump2Jstump2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2020
    I'm at the office until 2 today. I worked on a spreadsheet for a while but am now waiting on answers that I probably won't get until next week.  I am going to pick up a few minute last minute things at the grocery store and then pick up the kids. I have been done Christmas shopping for about a month and we do not have a single thing wrapped.. Why, you ask? Because my H agreed he would do all the wrapping (he is faster and better at then me). He assures me it will all get done so I am trying really hard to bite my tongue. If he is up until Midnight on Christmas Eve that is his own fault and I should just go to bed. But I have control issues sometimes and it is seriously driving me nuts that it isn't done yet.
  • I’m on vacation! I’ve had a run and taken the car for an oil change. I’m attempting to put away laundry with the baby in a wrap. We’ll see how long that actually lasts. 

Still no update on the contract tracing and I’m bummed. I know the likelihood is small but we really can’t see anyone until we hear back. This sucks. 
  • Jstump2 said:
    I'm at the office until 2 today. I worked on a spreadsheet for a while but am now waiting on answers that I probably won't get until next week.  I am going to pick up a few minute last minute things at the grocery store and then pick up the kids. I have been done Christmas shopping for about a month and we do not have a single thing wrapped.. Why, you ask? Because my H agreed he would do all the wrapping (he is faster and better at then me). He assures me it will all get done so I am trying really hard to bite my tongue. If he is up until Midnight on Christmas Eve that is his own fault and I should just go to bed. But I have control issues sometimes and it is seriously driving me nuts that it isn't done yet.
    What started as procrastination, ended up being tradition.
    M & I wrap and clean xmas eve while having at least one drink.

Our 1st and 2nd xmas' we may have gone overboard though lol Christmas day hangover SUUUUCKKKKS
  • MNIN - I'm making one too!  I've used this practice on cooking my standing rib roasts the last few times I've made them.  I add a chopped fresh herb crust around it, but you could use dried herbs too.  Take a combo of herbs, add in some olive oil and garlic to make a paste then rub it all around the roast. click  I would lessen the cook time by around 15 minutes since your roast is smaller.  If you have one of those thermometer's that can monitor the temp from the outside, that would be best!

I've got a few things to wrap still.  H received my stocking stuffer yesterday and it was ripped open and retaped.  Instead of the small figurine inside, there was a pair of gloves.  Amazon is doing it right, but it won't be here for stockings.  UPS was the shipper too, so we think it was someone within UPS.

Today is my Friday and I won't be back to work until Wednesday to finish out my vacation days for the year.
  • @Jstump2 it was my mom's tradition to stay up late Christmas Eve wrapping gifts. I have no idea why as she is not someone who enjoys staying up late. The whole idea stresses me out.

I wrapped presents a few nights ago. Honestly, it's my favorite part. Sometimes I daydream about a pop up shop of wrapping other people's presents, lol. 

I am basically just waiting for Christmas to happen at this point. I am ready, stocking are even pre-stocked. Tomorrow will be a normal day for the most part, a zoom call with MIL to open her presents before DS goes to bed, then we will put presents under the tree, and not sleep all night with excitement.
  • @Jstump2 it was my mom's tradition to stay up late Christmas Eve wrapping gifts. I have no idea why as she is not someone who enjoys staying up late. The whole idea stresses me out.

I wrapped presents a few nights ago. Honestly, it's my favorite part. Sometimes I daydream about a pop up shop of wrapping other people's presents, lol. 

I am basically just waiting for Christmas to happen at this point. I am ready, stocking are even pre-stocked. Tomorrow will be a normal day for the most part, a zoom call with MIL to open her presents before DS goes to bed, then we will put presents under the tree, and not sleep all night with excitement.
    I also love wrapping presents. I was a little sad because H wrapped them all this year because we have no time for anything these days and I was bummed I didn’t get to do them. 
  • @missJeanLouise @charlotte989875. I would gladly have you both wrap my presents! I used to invite my friend over who loves wrapping and that made it more enjoyable because we would talk and have a drink.  Lol I do not enjoy it at all! I never can get them wrapped as nicely as I want and just get frustrated!

I also love wrapping presents. I was a little sad because H wrapped them all this year because we have no time for anything these days and I was bummed I didn’t get to do them. 
    Please come wrap mine.
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2020
    This is kind of funny, b/c I made a FB post about wrapping presents:

One of the thing talked about with depression is to break things down. For instance, i haven't been able to unload my dishwasher. Fine, I just take out what I need, put in dirty, run when it's more full of dirty than clean or I cant tell.

I'm not sure handing my parents wrapping paper, the bow, and their gift is really gonna hit the same though.

ETA:  B/c I'm still looking at those boxes to be wrapped and they need to be wrapped by 1 tomorrow.
  • @VarunaTT Have you seen the thing about the "run it twice" ? Idk if it's from a therapist or the person who saw the therapist, but starts with breaking down what stresses the person out and one major is the dishes because sometimes they come out dirty after running it.
    Basically saying "who cares if it's needed, run the dishwasher twice. Save yourself the stress"

It's funny I saw this and also a lot of moms on my fb are saying that about laundry
  • Jstump2 said:
    @missJeanLouise @charlotte989875. I would gladly have you both wrap my presents! I used to invite my friend over who loves wrapping and that made it more enjoyable because we would talk and have a drink.  Lol I do not enjoy it at all! I never can get them wrapped as nicely as I want and just get frustrated!
    This is my perfect scenario!

I am trying to figure out new ways to wrap things though because wrapping paper is so wasteful. (Why is everything I love so bad for the environment?!) I am using more cloth bags this year because they are reusable. So if you think people would use/appreciate a cloth bag, just throw the gift in there and tell them you are avoiding wrapping paper for environmental reasons. 
  • Jstump2 said:
    @missJeanLouise @charlotte989875. I would gladly have you both wrap my presents! I used to invite my friend over who loves wrapping and that made it more enjoyable because we would talk and have a drink.  Lol I do not enjoy it at all! I never can get them wrapped as nicely as I want and just get frustrated!
    This is my perfect scenario!

I am trying to figure out new ways to wrap things though because wrapping paper is so wasteful. (Why is everything I love so bad for the environment?!) I am using more cloth bags this year because they are reusable. So if you think people would use/appreciate a cloth bag, just throw the gift in there and tell them you are avoiding wrapping paper for environmental reasons. 
    Mine, too! I used to love putting on a Christmas moving with a glass of wine and wrapping presents. H sees it just as something that just needs to get done. Plus I’m too tired for wine these days. 
  • I wrapped my presents eons ago because I suck at wrapping and I just wanted to get it done with.  Like, I am laughably bad.  I have had multiple people point out what a horrible job I did (in a good natured way).  This year, they turned out surprisingly well.  But that's according to my standards - they are possibly still pretty bad.

• @charlotte989875 you and I are i2i. Wrapping definitely involves a beverage and either music or movie. It's the best part, might as well make a night of it!!

I am spending tonight doing some hand sewing and wine. I should put of a Christmas movie but Idk what to watch. I don't have the Hallmark channel here.
  • @charlotte989875 you and I are i2i. Wrapping definitely involves a beverage and either music or movie. It's the best part, might as well make a night of it!!

I am spending tonight doing some hand sewing and wine. I should put of a Christmas movie but Idk what to watch. I don't have the Hallmark channel here.
    Do you have YouTube access? We watched the Muppet Family Christmas & Charlie Brown Christmas on there last night 
  • Speaking of gift wrapping.  I watched a tv show special about the Spelling's (Aaron and Candy Spelling) Beverly Hills mansion back when she had it for sale.  It had been custom built for their family back in the day.

Candy loved to gift wrap.  She had THREE "gift wrapping rooms" implemented into the house design.  I bet they had year round staff just to wrap gifts and probably hired more around the holidays, lol.

I think I'd like gift wrapping better if I had rolls of wrapping paper attached to the walls and a big island in the middle of the room to use as a surface, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Speaking of gift wrapping.  I watched a tv show special about the Spelling's (Aaron and Candy Spelling) Beverly Hills mansion back when she had it for sale.  It had been custom built for their family back in the day.

Candy loved to gift wrap.  She had THREE "gift wrapping rooms" implemented into the house design.  I bet they had year round staff just to wrap gifts and probably hired more around the holidays, lol.

I think I'd like gift wrapping better if I had rolls of wrapping paper attached to the walls and a big island in the middle of the room to use as a surface, lol.
    Oh like when malls have gift wrapping stations and they look so organized!

I always feel I'll be more productive if I have my space set up but then it doesn't happen .... so I own a lot of bags.
  • @charlotte989875 We Do! Muppet Family Christmas sounds great!
  • @VarunaTT Have you seen the thing about the "run it twice" ? Idk if it's from a therapist or the person who saw the therapist, but starts with breaking down what stresses the person out and one major is the dishes because sometimes they come out dirty after running it.
    Basically saying "who cares if it's needed, run the dishwasher twice. Save yourself the stress"

It's funny I saw this and also a lot of moms on my fb are saying that about laundry
    That's what I meant by breaking it down.  Another example I've seen is a person was upset b/c they couldn't even find the energy to make themselves a sandwich.  Their therapist was like, so don't.  Grab the bread, meat, and cheese, and just eat it.  Who cares if it's put together?

So yeah, I haven't emptied the dishwasher and just keep running it.

:D
  • ei - Prayers for a successful surgery and quick recovery for your son!