Wedding Woes

Tuesday

2»

Re: Tuesday

• You should respond to the email using 'deez nutz' in your response. 
  • @short+sassy, We have friends here who run a couple of AirB&Bs. I'm always amazed at how much demand there is to rent houses in residential neighborhoods, but they manage to stay booked most of the time. I guess pricing it right makes the difference. They did tell me that one of the keys to keeping it profitable is doing the cleaning and maintenance themselves. When they were travelling last summer, they hired someone to clean and do the yardwork, which adds up fast. Not sure if that's location specific, though.
  • Yikes @short+sassy and she has no family members to say “so and so told you WHaT?!? No.  That’s not going to happen”. ?
    No, she doesn't have any family.  She never married or had children.  She was also an only child, so no siblings or nieces/nephews.

She has a few close friends.  But I don't know if any of them would be helpful for her with research.  Plus, she would need to have enough of a question/doubt about it to ask.  But it's also human nature.  People don't want to ask a lot of questions when they think they are about to get a big payday.

Her roommate/longtime friend (E)...not an owner of the house...doesn't have children either.  She has cousins she is close to, but they all live out-of-state.  And just for another slice of joy for them trying to move, "E" has had dementia for a few years.  I don't know "stages", but her behavior can sometimes be volatile and erratic.  She's lived in that house for 40 years and most of the hoarding is hers.  I suspect she would pitch daily, screaming fits if her stuff started getting packed up and/or thrown out.  Sometimes she has a general understanding about what is going on, but sometimes she doesn't.

It really sucks for N.  N has a sharp mind, but is on dialysis and barely mobile.  She can't take care of E anymore.  She can barely take care of herself.  But she doesn't have the heart to put her in an assisted care facility.    
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • omg @mrsconn23 that is too funny!

SIL/BIL brought us a ton of produce from their huge nice garden last week and I made the Eggplant pasta from Chrissy Tiegens cookbook last night with all fresh stuff.  It was so good and I'm super excited to eat leftovers for lunch!  (I know she has been cancelled and is super problematic, but I already owned her cookbooks and they're awesome).  Just hanging with N all day and hoping to get a little bit done around the house.  
  • @short+sassy, We have friends here who run a couple of AirB&Bs. I'm always amazed at how much demand there is to rent houses in residential neighborhoods, but they manage to stay booked most of the time. I guess pricing it right makes the difference. They did tell me that one of the keys to keeping it profitable is doing the cleaning and maintenance themselves. When they were travelling last summer, they hired someone to clean and do the yardwork, which adds up fast. Not sure if that's location specific, though.
    That's good to hear!  I'll cross my fingers for myself, lol.  I know my current tenant definitely made some extra money on his listings with the cleaning fee.  I think he charged $75 per booking for the cleaning, but did the cleaning himself.  As long as guests were reasonable...and most of them were...it doesn't take long to clean that place.  It's 2 bedrooms, about 830 sq ft, and only one bathroom.

Plus, although it is a residential area, it's only about one mile to the French Quarter.  So it's still a really convenient location for tourists.  I'm also only a few blocks away from the Esplanade street car line, that will take people down to the FQ.  Or the bus line that will take them wherever they would like to go in the city.

And Jazz Fest is super amazeballs.  That event is not held in the FQ.  It's at the Fairgrounds.  There aren't any hotels within stumbling distance.  But my house is.  The entrance is about two blocks away.  Usually, I can clearly hear one of the stages from my front porch, lol.

There's another big musical festival called Voodoo Fest that's held in City Park, in October.  I'm sure it will be cancelled this year also.  But it's normally another good one for my location.  Also doesn't have any hotels around it.  But my house is about one mile away (opposite direction from FQ).  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • so sorry about the crap with the neighbor's house @CharmedPam Had you already discussed a number with her? I am sure if that's the case and she's being told a huge number above that is enticing.  Is the friend who introduced her to the REA the same friend you had mentioned trying to talk to her about your deal? I hope for her own sake she has someone to help her see what comps are selling for to be realistic.

4% commission - is that 4 on the selling and buying side so 8% total? 
  • kvruns said:
    so sorry about the crap with the neighbor's house @CharmedPam Had you already discussed a number with her? I am sure if that's the case and she's being told a huge number above that is enticing.  Is the friend who introduced her to the REA the same friend you had mentioned trying to talk to her about your deal? I hope for her own sake she has someone to help her see what comps are selling for to be realistic.

4% commission - is that 4 on the selling and buying side so 8% total? 
    It's me, not @C@CharmedPam

I will totally make up names below.

We already have a number.  I didn't even negotiate with her.  I agreed to the number she wanted.  I agreed to her living in the bottom unit for the rest of her lifetime.  Everything she wanted, I agreed to.  We spent about 90 minutes way back in Feb., ironing out exactly how this deal would look.  Both for the closing documents and, more importantly, on the day-to-day for her.  I mentioned a bunch of things she hadn't even thought of, to get her feedback.  I put together a Purchase Agreement that exactly matched what we both agreed to.

I personally haven't discussed the deal with the cleaning person/friend (Sylvia).  That's someone Neighbor Nancy knows and that's who introduced her to the REA.  Though I assume Nancy must have mentioned that we were going to be buying the house.  Funny enough, Nancy and Sylvia did meet through a contact of my H.  I only met Sylvia once, but she is an ex-g/f of a guy who does handyman work for us sometimes (Tom).  We referred Tom to Nancy and he occasionally does work for her.  I don't know if my H then referred Sylvia or if Tom did.  

Carol is another neighbor and friend of both mine and Nancy's, though she is around my age.  I have discussed the deal before with her, only because she's asked me questions from conversations she's had with Nancy where she seemed to already know the details.  There was also another occasion where she asked me a question in front of Nancy.  It was financially sensitive, so I kinda demurred for that reason and Nancy said I could tell Carol anything.

At any rate, a problem with Carol is she's living in some alternate reality where she seems to keep thinking we'd be fixing up the second floor/unit, so that a f/t live-in caregiver for the two ladies below, could live there.  You could have knocked me over with a feather the first time Carol said that.  She first mentioned it a little in that convo in front of Nancy.  Who emphatically told her "no", that wasn't happening.  I gently pointed out that home health aides, even if they had a cheap place to live, are still very expensive and not really covered by Medicare.  Nancy essentially told her the same thing.

Carol seemed to understand all of that.  But has brought this same idea up multiple times.  The second time, we were alone and I went into more detail.  I told her again that Medicare doesn't pay for just home health aides, ie people who need help with bathing/cleaning/feeding.  That this kind of service would be 100% on the dime of Nancy and her roommate, which they can't afford.  That nobody does this kind of work for only free room and board.  It's exorbitantly expensive.  And it wouldn't be free room and board anyway!

That, if we close with Nancy, my H and I would be fixing up the upstairs and then we would charge market rent.  Which wouldn't even pay for all of our monthly expenses for holding this property.  But at least it would pay for a lot of it.  These were discussions before my H and I had decided we'd rather live there.  Come to think of it.  I've had this same conversation with her about 4x.  Usually after we've been hanging out for awhile and there have been many glasses of wine.  Probably the problem, lol.   

-------------------

You're right!  In my area, it's usually 4% for the seller agent and 2% for the buyer agent.  But the seller pays for both commissions.  So 6% of the purchase price.

The only kind of people who would have any interest in this house would be flippers.  It's too much renovation needed for the majority of residential buyers.  Flippers often don't use REAs, so maybe she would save that 2% part of the commission.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ooohhh!!!  It is going down now.

To go to a Saints game under new city rules, you need to show your proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test within the last 72 hours.

Saints stated today that they will not refund season ticket holders for any tickets, due to this change.  The Senior VP of Communications said, "...if you don’t plan on attending games this season, we’d recommend that you resell your individual game tickets on SeatGeek, which has a strong secondary market for Saints tickets."

How someone not worried about being PC says that, "Don't like it?  Then get vaccinated or don't go.  Sell your tickets at SeatGeek, because we're certainly not buying them back."

Our friend who thinks any gov't. involvement for anything is "too much", is super offended about these new rules, ie "they have no right to require that".  My H and I tried to point that it is for the public good and there are all kinds of laws to protect the public good.  The only difference is, we are already used to the other ones.

Nope.  "The gov't. can't require that and I won't do it.  If someone won't take my money, I'll leave."  He actually is vaccinated.  He just feels so strongly it is an overreach that he won't show his vaccination card, on principle.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy that is so dumb.  Tell him that he should stop driving b/c the government requires him to have a license and insurance to do it legally, or buying alcohol at said game, where he's required to have proof of age from a government issued ID, or all of the other myriad things the government says you have to show proof to engage in X activity.  

I'm finished with patience on any of this.
  • @short+sassy also, the g'ment isn't requiring it, the saints organization is. 🤷
  • @short+sassy also, the g'ment isn't requiring it, the saints organization is. 🤷
    To be fair, it is the city government.  That's their rule that started yesterday for all kinds of things, including events like Saints games.

Though it is the Saints organization who has chosen not to refund tickets for season ticket holders who don't comply with the new city ordinance, so now they can't attend any games until the city lifts that.

Our friend wasn't referring to Saints games specifically.  That may have been a little confusing how I wrote my post.  He was referring to all of it.  Probably the only places it would affect him are bars and indoor dining at restaurants.  Same city rules.  Show proof of vaccination or negative COVID test taken within 72 hours, to be able to enter.

I forgot it includes bars, LMAO!  Bars are his social scene.  I think his "principles" are going to be short-lived.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    To be fair, it is the city government.  That's their rule that started yesterday for all kinds of things, including events like Saints games.

Though it is the Saints organization who has chosen not to refund tickets for season ticket holders who don't comply with the new city ordinance, so now they can't attend any games until the city lifts that.

Our friend wasn't referring to Saints games specifically.  That may have been a little confusing how I wrote my post.  He was referring to all of it.  Probably the only places it would affect him are bars and indoor dining at restaurants.  Same city rules.  Show proof of vaccination or negative COVID test taken within 72 hours, to be able to enter.

I forgot it includes bars, LMAO!  Bars are his social scene.  I think his "principles" are going to be short-lived.
    Oh, sorry. I misunderstood that part