Wedding Woes
Options

Monday, Monday

2»

Re: Monday, Monday

• Options
    banana468 said:
    Vaccine passports are just immunization records that we’ve been using for decades!!! 

(I would have shouted that in all caps, but I like y’all)
    This is sort of true.  I applaud them for locations like public schooling but I cannot recall needing to show my proof of immunization for anything previously.  Despite being immunized against measles and the surges in areas I haven't been asked to show proof of immunization for community type uses like getting on the ferry or to a restaurant.

That said, I agree with you.  We're in new times.  The Covid-19 pandemic is not comparable to anything else and the transmissibility of the new Delta variant is comparable diseases like measles and chickenpox.  Even as a vaccinated (with Pfizer) person, I can still be infected and my two kids are obviously too young to be vaccinated at this time.  

I'm still wanting to see how the current ruling from the Bahamas is going to conflict with Desantis' ruling about vaccine passports.  Not sure if anyone is paying attention but you cannot get off a cruise ship in the Bahamas without proof of vaccination that comes directly from the ship's captain.  That's going to be a big kick in the stomach to the governor who is trying to boost the cruise industry while also jerking over every hospital in his state.
    I never thought about it, but I wouldn't even know where to go to get my immunization records for all those ones you get as a baby/child.

The first person I'd ask is my mom, lol.  Knowing her, she'd probably go right to her filing cabinet and say, "Here ya go!"  As the 40+ year old papers start to disintegrate in the  sunlight streaming from the window, lol.
    States have immunization registries. I'm not sure how far back they go, but doctors report them to a state clearing house that records them. Then you can request your own records or ask that they be submitted to a school or whatever on your behalf. I had to get records when I started grad school in my 30s and found that they had everything since I'd moved to Georgia in high school. (I didn't need records back to birth, so I didn't look for anything older.) 
  • Options

banana468 said:

banana468 said:

Vaccine passports are just immunization records that we’ve been using for decades!!! 

This is sort of true.  I applaud them for locations like public schooling but I cannot recall needing to show my proof of immunization for anything previously.  Despite being immunized against measles and the surges in areas I haven't been asked to show proof of immunization for community type uses like getting on the ferry or to a restaurant.

That said, I agree with you.  We're in new times.  The Covid-19 pandemic is not comparable to anything else and the transmissibility of the new Delta variant is comparable diseases like measles and chickenpox.  Even as a vaccinated (with Pfizer) person, I can still be infected and my two kids are obviously too young to be vaccinated at this time.  

I'm still wanting to see how the current ruling from the Bahamas is going to conflict with Desantis' ruling about vaccine passports.  Not sure if anyone is paying attention but you cannot get off a cruise ship in the Bahamas without proof of vaccination that comes directly from the ship's captain.  That's going to be a big kick in the stomach to the governor who is trying to boost the cruise industry while also jerking over every hospital in his state.

Yah that’s fair, although I think about it like- I had to share immunization records to go to college, to travel to certain countries; baby M has to be vaccinated at his pediatrician office. So like we do have to show these some times, we’re just because asked for them more often give the seriousness of the situation. 

Honest question - does he?  Does his pediatrician require that to continue to see patients then they must be vaccinated?  

Obviously daycares have their own requirements.  I ask because I know several parents who continue the annual well-visit checkups for their children and who refuse standard immunizations.  

It’s a pretty common requirement that you comply with the recommended vaccine schedule near me for pediatricians!
    I haven't ran across a family med/peds doc that doesn't require you to follow the vaccine schedule and will only allow exceptions for rare cases. Most I know say that since they see high risk kids, they have the policy to protect them.  Now I do know there's some independent/not affiliated with a specific hospital system that may have other rules.  I don't even mind people who want to follow a more staggered schedule, but I out and out antivaxxers bottle my mind.  I personally find being antivax, when you have healthy kids and no reason to refuse them, controversial and worth a hairy eyeball.  But I have a few friends with compromised kids and one that has a daughter who's in treatment for leukemia right now, so it's touchy for me when you have that POV with healthy kids. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Yah that’s fair, although I think about it like- I had to share immunization records to go to college, to travel to certain countries; baby M has to be vaccinated at his pediatrician office. So like we do have to show these some times, we’re just because asked for them more often give the seriousness of the situation. 
    Honest question - does he?  Does his pediatrician require that to continue to see patients then they must be vaccinated?  

Obviously daycares have their own requirements.  I ask because I know several parents who continue the annual well-visit checkups for their children and who refuse standard immunizations.  
    Yup. They require following the vaccine schedule in order to be seen there and they communicate the vaccine schedules in advance. 

There are exceptions for high risk kids (like @mrsconn23’s) friend with a child unable to be vaccinated on a regular schedule. However families are not able to voluntarily opt-out. 
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

I can’t speak for @charlotte989875 specifically but there are pediatricians who require all patients be vaccinated to be a part of the practice. It’s a controversial view but I understand why they do it. 
    IMO it's not even all that controversial.  I did just check the website of our pediatrician's office and they post the schedule of immunizations however they are not stating on their if continuing to be a patient is contingent upon maintaining up to date vaccination status unless a child is immunocompromised or allergic.

The point - I agree that a type of vaccine passport is likely needed.  I also think that there are more people out there who have been active members of society who are not vaccinated than we think.  Perhaps this is the push we need.  My state just did away with religious exemptions in public schools for routine (non-Covid) immunizations that are recommended by the state dept of public health.  But that is related to public schools.  The crossover to make sure that the local grocery, pub owner, etc enforces this needs better buy-in and backup.  I would like to be optimistic about it but there are too many naysayers and "freedom fighters" for massive compliance to be realistic in the near future. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Yup. They require following the vaccine schedule in order to be seen there and they communicate the vaccine schedules in advance. 

There are exceptions for high risk kids (like @mrsconn23’s) friend with a child unable to be vaccinated on a regular schedule. However families are not able to voluntarily opt-out. 
    That's interesting.  

FWIW we did stagger dosing with the kiddos but stayed on schedule.  If the 3 mo visit would have had 5 shots then we did 3 at the 3 mo and 2 one month later (paying an additional OOP cost for the visit) because at the newborn / infancy stage it worked well for the kiddos and reactions appeared to be limited. 

I do agree that refusing to vaccinate when you have a healthy kid is IMO the opposite of teaching your kids how to live in a society.   You get vaccinated not just for yourself but to help out others and somehow we lost that in my lifetime. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:

That's interesting.  

FWIW we did stagger dosing with the kiddos but stayed on schedule.  If the 3 mo visit would have had 5 shots then we did 3 at the 3 mo and 2 one month later (paying an additional OOP cost for the visit) because at the newborn / infancy stage it worked well for the kiddos and reactions appeared to be limited. 

I do agree that refusing to vaccinate when you have a healthy kid is IMO the opposite of teaching your kids how to live in a society.   You get vaccinated not just for yourself but to help out others and somehow we lost that in my lifetime. 
    My H and I were just talking about that the other day.  He's 10 years older than me and in his mid-50s.

It started out as a discussion about tonsils.  He made an offhand comment that was something like, "Who HASN'T had their tonsils out (haha)?"  I looked at him and said, "Umm, me.  And my sister.  Come to think of it, I only knew a few kids who did."  We made a nickel bet the majority of US citizens have had their tonsils out, with me betting that they did not and him betting that they did.  Then we went down the Google rabbit hole, lol.  It has become less and less common as the decades have gone by.  We never did find a definitive answer, but my H conceded defeat with the evidence we did find.

We then started talking about childhood vaccines.  I told him he must have gotten one for smallpox, but that I had just missed it by one year.  They stopped in the US, in 1972.  As a side note, the last reported case of smallpox worldwide was in the late 1970s.  It was declared eradicated in 1980.  A disease that had plagued mankind for thousands of years and killed thousands of millions of people.  But vaccines don't work (sarcasm).  Right.

Which then got us talking about how, when we were kids, it seemed like the anti-vax movement didn't exist.  Kids needed to get vaccinated to go to school.  They got vaccinated, unless there was a medical reason they couldn't.  End of story.

Where he lived, which was a more rural community, they got some of their childhood vaccines in school.  There'd be medical personnel in the assembly room and kids who were the right age would get in a line, to get whatever shot they needed.

My other finding.  I had always thought the typhus vaccine was once a routine vaccine in the US, but just wasn't given anymore unless you had an at risk job or lived in an at risk community.  But, in my research, it looks like that has never been a standard vaccine given in the US.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Our peds office requires that you follow the vaccination schedule or they will fire you as a patient.  

G went back to school and so far none of the rest of us have shown any HFM symptoms.  He was veeeeerry clingy and miserable all week.  Glad he's feeling better and also glad to have some breathing room from a 25 lb toddler who wanted to be held 24/7.  He definitely got it from school and the peds office said it been going around like crazy the last month.

@missJeanLouise that pic is gorgeous!
    @starmoon I'm so glad your trip was awesome!
  • Options
    banana468 said:

That's interesting.  

My H and I were just talking about that the other day.  He's 10 years older than me and in his mid-50s.

It started out as a discussion about tonsils.  He made an offhand comment that was something like, "Who HASN'T had their tonsils out (haha)?"  I looked at him and said, "Umm, me.  And my sister.  Come to think of it, I only knew a few kids who did."  We made a nickel bet the majority of US citizens have had their tonsils out, with me betting that they did not and him betting that they did.  Then we went down the Google rabbit hole, lol.  It has become less and less common as the decades have gone by.  We never did find a definitive answer, but my H conceded defeat with the evidence we did find.

We then started talking about childhood vaccines.  I told him he must have gotten one for smallpox, but that I had just missed it by one year.  They stopped in the US, in 1972.  As a side note, the last reported case of smallpox worldwide was in the late 1970s.  It was declared eradicated in 1980.  A disease that had plagued mankind for thousands of years and killed thousands of millions of people.  But vaccines don't work (sarcasm).  Right.

Which then got us talking about how, when we were kids, it seemed like the anti-vax movement didn't exist.  Kids needed to get vaccinated to go to school.  They got vaccinated, unless there was a medical reason they couldn't.  End of story.

Where he lived, which was a more rural community, they got some of their childhood vaccines in school.  There'd be medical personnel in the assembly room and kids who were the right age would get in a line, to get whatever shot they needed.

My other finding.  I had always thought the typhus vaccine was once a routine vaccine in the US, but just wasn't given anymore unless you had an at risk job or lived in an at risk community.  But, in my research, it looks like that has never been a standard vaccine given in the US.
    Yeah, I know of very few people who have had their tonsils out.  It wasn't done unless there was a medical need like repeated strep throats.  

So @short+sassy DH and I were watching a documentary on the Sherman brothers who are famous for composing many of the hits we know and love from Disney movies.  Robert Sherman had kids after WWII and one of them described getting the polio vaccine in school and on a sugar cube. 

And thus, "A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!" 
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    Our peds office requires that you follow the vaccination schedule or they will fire you as a patient.  

G went back to school and so far none of the rest of us have shown any HFM symptoms.  He was veeeeerry clingy and miserable all week.  Glad he's feeling better and also glad to have some breathing room from a 25 lb toddler who wanted to be held 24/7.  He definitely got it from school and the peds office said it been going around like crazy the last month.

@missJeanLouise that pic is gorgeous!
    @starmoon I'm so glad your trip was awesome!
    If I remember correctly our pedi and the daycare said it was way more common in the warmer months. 
  • Options
    Btw @short+sassy I meant to ask you what the purpose of the Costco scanning was.  Just store inventory for them?
    I initially thought their client was Costco.  But it isn't.  I think it's a data mining company that sells the info to apps/websites designed for typical retail shoppers.

"Taking inventory" would be counting all the "like items".  For example, counting all the 24-packs of Red Bull that were in stock on the floor.  We didn't do that at all.  That would take way longer and they would need to pay me way more money, lol.

Instead, I'd scan one of the bar codes off one of the 24-packs of Red Bull.  Enter the price from the Costco tag above them.  Hit Save.  Move on to the next item.  So the whole thing only takes 10-20 seconds per item.  Unless it takes you longer to find the UPC code or it's on a crinkly bag that's hard to pick it up on.

Darn you to hell, manufacturers who put your UPC code so it doesn't naturally lie flat or is bent across the corner of your box.  What is wrong with you?  Never mind me.  Now you're holding up the whole line while a cashier is forced to manually enter your stupid code.

But I also discovered some companies use the shape of their UPC code to match their "brand".  For example, Mission tortillas have a UPC code that is shaped like a Spanish mission.  Black Forest gummy bears have a UPC code shaped like the tops of trees.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The tonsils thing is kinda weird.  I wonder if it's also more of a regional thing as well as age b/c of allergies/strep throat?  I'm 44, and I was unusual in not having them out until I was 16 here in the Midwest.  I had strep throat all the time due to drainage from allergies and lots of people have allergies here.  I've had a small handful of adult friends who have had them out in their 30s/40s and that apparently really sucks.  
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

That's interesting.  

Yeah, I know of very few people who have had their tonsils out.  It wasn't done unless there was a medical need like repeated strep throats.  

So @short+sassy DH and I were watching a documentary on the Sherman brothers who are famous for composing many of the hits we know and love from Disney movies.  Robert Sherman had kids after WWII and one of them described getting the polio vaccine in school and on a sugar cube. 

That's so interesting!  This was before the current pandemic.  But I was talking to two coworkers I did a lot of work with at the time.  We were talking about anti-vaxxers and wth is wrong with them.  They were both old enough to be in elementary school toward the end of polio.  They both remember kids from their class who caught polio and never came back to school.  At the time, polio was a terrifying word.  Especially because it is primarily only contracted by infants and children.  When the polio vaccine came out, they remembered their parents were desperate to make sure they got it.  I just looked it up and it sounds like polio is asymptomatic for about two weeks when a person first gets it, but that is also the timeframe when it is the most contagious.

One of those coworkers caught rubella when he was about 12.  That vaccine didn't exist yet.  He was in the hospital for something like 9 months!

Needless to say, they were both very pro-vax.  Because they lived through what the other side of that door looks like.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    banana468 said:

I didn’t read that.  I sang that. 

• Options
    VarunaTT said:
    The tonsils thing is kinda weird.  I wonder if it's also more of a regional thing as well as age b/c of allergies/strep throat?  I'm 44, and I was unusual in not having them out until I was 16 here in the Midwest.  I had strep throat all the time due to drainage from allergies and lots of people have allergies here.  I've had a small handful of adult friends who have had them out in their 30s/40s and that apparently really sucks.  
    Maybe!  He grew up in rural Oregon, but I can't really speak to that.

I grew up in So. CA, which is a pretty dry place and doesn't have much foliage for people to be allergic to.  At least it seems like people complain more about allergies where I live now than when I lived there.

It could also be a child's faulty memory, lol.  I vaguely remember some of the kids in my classes having their tonsils removed here and there.  It didn't seem like that many.  But the only thing of concern to me would have been how much ice cream did they get to eat.  Because that was the rumor.  Tonsils out=lots of ice cream.

As a child, I didn't have allergies.  I have never had strep throat.  I never had a sore throat, unless I was already sick.  So I definitely was not a candidate for a tonsilectomy (sp?).

Yikes, one of my mom's friends had strep throat when she was 20.  But the infection got into her kidneys and ruined them.  She spent the rest of her life either on dialysis or with a kidney transplant.  The bad stuff that can happen to people over what started out as a minor condition!  She lived a pretty good and healthy life.  She was a runner and participated in the Transplant Olympics for years.  But her condition seemed to catch up to her in her late 50s.  Her health started to go downhill and never really stopped.  She had ups and downs for a few years, but was never well.  She passed away in her early/mid-60s.  She was a nice woman.  I always liked her.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    banana468 said:

That's interesting.  

Tonsils are definitely hit or miss with my age group here {I'll be 34} I did get them out at a fairly young age - which was uncommon as is - but mine was medically necessary.
    My nana passed at nearly 93 with her tonsils

Vaccines are interesting as the years go by. I didn't get chicken pox vax but my coworker's daughter {who is now 12} has it. So we don't know when that started but tbh I'm kinda glad. I know it doesn't cancel it, but low chance of shingles later.
  • Options

Tonsils are definitely hit or miss with my age group here {I'll be 34} I did get them out at a fairly young age - which was uncommon as is - but mine was medically necessary.

Vaccines are interesting as the years go by. I didn't get chicken pox vax but my coworker's daughter {who is now 12} has it. So we don't know when that started but tbh I'm kinda glad. I know it doesn't cancel it, but low chance of shingles later.
    I Googled it.  The chicken pox vaccine was available in the US in 1995.  I assume it was the same/near that year for Canada.

Way too late for me, lol.  I had chicken pox in the early 80's.  Along with almost everybody else in my 3rd grade class.

Here's a blurb from the CDC website about chicken pox, under info about Shingrix (shingles vaccine).  My H took the shingles vaccine last year:

Studies show that more than 99% of Americans 40 years and older have had chickenpox, even if they don’t remember having the disease. Chickenpox and shingles are related because they are caused by the same virus (varicella zoster virus). After a person recovers from chickenpox, the virus stays dormant (inactive) in the body. It can reactivate years later and cause shingles.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I Googled it.  The chicken pox vaccine was available in the US in 1995.  I assume it was the same/near that year for Canada.

Way too late for me, lol.  I had chicken pox in the early 80's.  Along with almost everybody else in my 3rd grade class.

Here's a blurb from the CDC website about chicken pox, under info about Shingrix (shingles vaccine).  My H took the shingles vaccine last year:

Studies show that more than 99% of Americans 40 years and older have had chickenpox, even if they don’t remember having the disease. Chickenpox and shingles are related because they are caused by the same virus (varicella zoster virus). After a person recovers from chickenpox, the virus stays dormant (inactive) in the body. It can reactivate years later and cause shingles.
    Interesting! I had chickenpox in 1999 I think?
    Google says the vax came in 1998 to Canada, but wasn't added to the vax list until 2000

I remember my bff got chicken pox and my mum never had it so she sent me over to get chicken pox {lol "pox party"!}
    I know my dr has said there is a bit of concern because I didn't get it very much. My mum actually has been told not to get shingles vax - idk, but my dr told her it wouldn't be a good idea.
  • Options

AND incidence of shingles - especially shingles in someone young is linked to cardiovascular issues and cancer.  If that vaccine was available when DH and I were kids he likely would not have had shingles 8 years ago and we would not be wondering if his case is statistically significant.  
  • Options
    I got chicken pox the year before the vaccine came out. Ugh. It was miserable. A mom brought their (known) sick kid to my birthday party because “it’s not a big deal.” One of the moms at the party was 8 months pregnant. She had a still birth. Another dad at the party was so sick he ended up in the ICU for a week. It’s not an innocuous disease. 

Re: tonsils, I had mine out at 21 in the mid 2000’s. Not a super common procedure any more. I wish they had done it earlier. I used to get confirmed strep throat 8-12 times a year. I would beg them to take them out. Once I ended up in the hospital for over a week with sepsis related to tonsillitis. After that they decided it was okay to take them out. 🙄 I haven’t had strep throat since. 

• Options

That's so interesting!  This was before the current pandemic.  But I was talking to two coworkers I did a lot of work with at the time.  We were talking about anti-vaxxers and wth is wrong with them.  They were both old enough to be in elementary school toward the end of polio.  They both remember kids from their class who caught polio and never came back to school.  At the time, polio was a terrifying word.  Especially because it is primarily only contracted by infants and children.  When the polio vaccine came out, they remembered their parents were desperate to make sure they got it.  I just looked it up and it sounds like polio is asymptomatic for about two weeks when a person first gets it, but that is also the timeframe when it is the most contagious.

One of those coworkers caught rubella when he was about 12.  That vaccine didn't exist yet.  He was in the hospital for something like 9 months!

Needless to say, they were both very pro-vax.  Because they lived through what the other side of that door looks like.
    I tell people all the time that my family is pro-vaccination b/c my grandmother, who is still alive and kicking, nearly died of the measles as a child and has a scar on her skull where they cut into it to help with brain swelling.  My primary told me that my grandmother was lucky to even have access to a medical system that knew that needed to happen and could perform it.  When we were talking about that recently, both her and my grandfather could remember days that their schools were closed down b/c of an outbreak of measles.

And here we are again.  It's so exhausting.