Wedding Woes

Bedroom Design

Jstump2Jstump2 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited November 2021 in Wedding Woes
Speaking of my house and it's ongoing renovations. I am trying to get design game plans together so design isn't a hold up once we get around to things. I am stuck on design for our bedroom. We know we want a sliding barn-type door for the walk-in closet. We also want to do a faux-fireplace with an electric insert.

Here is an example of what I'm thinking. I am stuck on overall colors. I was thinking grey for the door and fireplace but not sure if I want to do white walls, I just don't know

Re: Bedroom Design

• Tbh, I am so over grey for wall colors so, for me, if you didn't want to do color of the walls, I would do white. Especially if there is going to be kind of an accent color where the fireplace is going like in your example picture.

Fwiw, I love your room now. It looks very relaxing. 
  • This is going to sound cray cray, and it might be - but lavender.  I have grey and lavendar in my room and love it!

• Sorry guys, I wasn't clear, that is an inspiration pic not my room! Here is my room now, needs a lot of help! Lol
  • I would do pale blue walls
  • I had considered blue, I am going to have to get some swatches, I just don't want it to look like a nursey color, lol.
  • I like to look at Farrow & Ball for inspiration and then google dupes from less extravagant companies. 

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2021
    Jstump2 said:
    I had considered blue, I am going to have to get some swatches, I just don't want it to look like a nursey color, lol.
    I think you can definitely get away with that.  To me "baby blue" is a pretty specific color range of blue that can easily be avoided.

Blue with gray tones or, inspired by @CharmedPam, blue with lavender tones.

I love the idea of a fireplace wall!  I really like electric fireplaces that give off heat.  I have one in my own living room, but it just sits boring on the floor, lol.  I never thought about how easy it would be to create that look.

We actually have plans to create a floor to ceiling bookshelf around it.  With a rolling ladder (squee!), because our ceilings are high.

Edited to add:  I also love barn doors!  We've been thinking about putting one in our next door rental unit.  In that unit, there is an opening between the living room and the first bedroom, but there isn't a door or even the framing for one because it is a shotgun house layout.  I think a barn door in that opening would be eye catching and also help separate the living room from the rest of the house.  Here's a pic of that opening, so you can see what I am talking about.

I also just noticed that my color is just about baby blue, lol.  But I like it and it doesn't have a nursery feel to me.  My tenant who has been renting it for the last 3 years also likes it.  He's the one who also rents it out on AirBnB and, when he furnished it, chose colors and accents that work really well with that wall color.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You could do a cool grey-blue tone. I'm always pro grey tones and I tend to like cool grey {warm grey feels more brown}
  • We went with Sherwin-Williams First Star in our house last year.  It's a cool grey with definite blue tones.  Pick up some paint chip and see what looks best in your light.
  • Also, get paint soon! Apparently they’re predicting a shortage in that soon too. 

• @CharmedPam oh no! Thanks for the heads up. We got the living room paint already, I will see if I can narrow the bedroom color down soon!
  • MNNEBride that color looks similar to what I picked for our living room!
  • Jstump2 said:
    @CharmedPam oh no! Thanks for the heads up. We got the living room paint already, I will see if I can narrow the bedroom color down soon!
    Those sources came from 2 different people.  My admin’s son is a professional painter and someone told my parents the very same thing, who worked at home depot. 

• Also, get paint soon! Apparently they’re predicting a shortage in that soon too. 
    Wait ... what
  • Jstump2 said:
    I had considered blue, I am going to have to get some swatches, I just don't want it to look like a nursey color, lol.
    I think you can definitely get away with that.  To me "baby blue" is a pretty specific color range of blue that can easily be avoided.

I love the idea of a fireplace wall!  I really like electric fireplaces that give off heat.  I have one in my own living room, but it just sits boring on the floor, lol.  I never thought about how easy it would be to create that look.

We actually have plans to create a floor to ceiling bookshelf around it.  With a rolling ladder (squee!), because our ceilings are high.

Edited to add:  I also love barn doors!  We've been thinking about putting one in our next door rental unit.  In that unit, there is an opening between the living room and the first bedroom, but there isn't a door or even the framing for one because it is a shotgun house layout.  I think a barn door in that opening would be eye catching and also help separate the living room from the rest of the house.  Here's a pic of that opening, so you can see what I am talking about.

I also just noticed that my color is just about baby blue, lol.  But I like it and it doesn't have a nursery feel to me.  My tenant who has been renting it for the last 3 years also likes it.  He's the one who also rents it out on AirBnB and, when he furnished it, chose colors and accents that work really well with that wall color.
    Full disclosure:  I hate barn doors.  HATE and I think they're a trendy option that will make houses start looking outdated very soon.  They were neat when they were used for their original purpose, which was to try and save space.  Now, it's just stylish.  Also, with that info, please don't cover up a beautiful arch with a barn door! 

I also dislike fire places with TVs over them.  Your TV is supposed to be at eye level for multiple reasons and I think it's just setting up for discomfort over the long run to have them high up.  I also think this is a trend that will end and make homes look dated.

I feel like I have quite a different design style than most people here (and IRL).  I have key big bold pieces and colors, with an eye towards minimalism and post modern.
  • VarunaTT said:
    Jstump2 said:

Full disclosure:  I hate barn doors.  HATE and I think they're a trendy option that will make houses start looking outdated very soon.  They were neat when they were used for their original purpose, which was to try and save space.  Now, it's just stylish.  Also, with that info, please don't cover up a beautiful arch with a barn door! 

I also dislike fire places with TVs over them.  Your TV is supposed to be at eye level for multiple reasons and I think it's just setting up for discomfort over the long run to have them high up.  I also think this is a trend that will end and make homes look dated.

I feel like I have quite a different design style than most people here (and IRL).  I have key big bold pieces and colors, with an eye towards minimalism and post modern.
    I appreciate the input!  We were thinking about putting a barn door there for the functionality of it, since we can't put in a normal doorframe because of the shape/size of the opening.

We offered it to our current tenant back when he was first took the property.  He was thinking about it, but decided not to.

On the one hand, I think it's a negative for the property that the living room is open (to an extent) to the first bedroom.  If someone is trying to sleep while someone else is watching tv, there is nothing to block the noise.  When I've previously had rental ads up, I know that has turned some people off.  Especially roommates or families (it's a two-bedroom house).  But, on the other hand, we also don't have that much trouble renting it to couples looking for more space.  That's the typical demographic of my renters who have lived here.

So, at the end of the day, we'll probably never do it.  But it's nice to know that option is in our back pocket, if the rental market changes and that opening becomes too much of a detraction.

For my own space, that's a similar wall to where I want to put my floor to ceiling built-in bookcase!  Except my first two rooms are totally open to each other and the back wall has the window and opening on opposite sides.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy what about folding doors (nice ones not ones that go on a closet) or french doors? Of course my preference is a pocket door but those can be tricky with electrical and such.

@Jstump2 that was my bad, thinking the first pic was your current room. I know accent walls can have a bad reputation but that is always a way to bring in some color if you are going back and forth. Also a lot of great wall paper these days.
  • Jstump2 said:
    @CharmedPam oh no! Thanks for the heads up. We got the living room paint already, I will see if I can narrow the bedroom color down soon!
    Those sources came from 2 different people.  My admin’s son is a professional painter and someone told my parents the very same thing, who worked at home depot. 
    Our builder, who is doing our bathroom reno, said the same thing!
  • @CharmedPam, thanks for the paint shortage warning!  We are about to put a house back on the market that we haven't rented in a long time.  It needs three bedrooms painted.  So I'm going to jump on getting the paint.  

All our rentals are painted the same color (except for my personal duplex), so it probably wouldn't hurt to get a gallon of that, just to have handy for potential touch-ups.

"Paint all your rentals the same color" was a tip I got from my real estate investing forum.  I have gotten a lot of great advice from that forum over the years, but this painting tip has been a huge one!  No more, "Oh no!  Which color did we use for that house?"  They're ALL Dolphin Fin Gray, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker