Wedding Woes
Options

It doesn't sound like she's moving in with you...?

Dear Prudence,

I am a young woman who will soon be moving in with her girlfriend. We are both recent college graduates and just starting our careers. She is currently in the workforce and is seriously considering taking another better-paying job. The only problem is, this new job is over an hour away by car, and she would need to move if she didn’t want a grueling daily commute. But, her best friend and their spouse live 20 minutes away from the new job. On top of that, her BFF works at the new job, referred my girlfriend, and was very enthusiastic about having my girlfriend temporarily move in since the area has a very high cost of living. My girlfriend briefly lived with her BFF during the height of the pandemic, which is chiefly why they are so close to this day; my girlfriend frequently refers to that time as the best time of her life.

I get along very well with these friends of hers, too. They have invited the both of us to take trips with them and are very supportive of our relationship. I bounced the idea off my girlfriend of asking them if they would be willing to house me alongside her, just until I found a decent job and saved a bit of money (it would also be nice to make large payments on my loans). I simply asked if my girlfriend could have a discussion about it, nothing more. I don’t think it would be appropriate for me to ask, but my girlfriend could, because she is much, much closer to them. However, my girlfriend got miffed at the suggestion and told me we shouldn’t freeload off her friends for the sake of convenience. I insisted that it isn’t freeloading, we would help with the mortgage and groceries and whatever they wanted us to pay, but split between the four of us, it would be so much cheaper than the two of us paying for an apartment (this area does not have studios below $2.5k a month, for reference).

My girlfriend really struggles with asking for and accepting help because she is always scared of being a burden. I worry this may be factoring into her refusal to have a discussion about this.

Since we’re so young and have so few assets (I actually have a negative net worth), living with her friends for 6-to-12 months would be invaluable in how much I’ll be able to save/pay down my loans with a minimal cost of living. Plus, I really think they’d be open to it. But my girlfriend won’t even ask. Should I push for this or let it go?

— Lesbian Looking for Lower Cost of Living

Re: It doesn't sound like she's moving in with you...?

• Options
    I think you need to have the discussion with the GF about what is actually happening.  
  • Options
    You need to sit down and have a serious talk with your girlfriend without any distractions around. Find out what's going on - is it an issue with the friends? Does she feel that having you move in with them too is asking too much? Does she feel like you are using her because she's in a better place financially/career-wise than you are? Is she having doubts about moving in with you, regardless of the exact circumstances?

It may be a painful discussion, but it has to happen. Prudie can't answer any of this for you.
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2022
    6 to 12 are two different time frames IMO.  I’d understand 4-6 months while you work things out and then GET out… but if you’re leaning on the 12 month mark it’s kinda asking for a lot. 

• Options
    I'm confused how LW thinks they're moving in with GF and now GF is moving 40 min away and in with their BFF.  Or does GF think they're going to live with BFF during the week and come home on weekends?  Y'all need to start there because I don't think you're on the same page regarding the immediate future. 

I wonder how long LW and the GF have been together since GF lived with this friend in the last two years and sounds like they met after GF moved out of there. 
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm left wondering what the LW's girlfriend's long-term plan is.  She would "temporarily" live with her BFF and the spouse..like for a couple of weeks?  A couple of months?  Does she plan to at some point move closer to the better-paying job?
    That said I get the girlfriend's hesitance to ask to move in along with LW for 6-12 months. LW sounds a bit delusional stating they can both move in and help out with the mortgage and groceries, etc...if the couple already owns a home in a HCOL area they probably don't need the financial help of two roommates. 

Although I think the whole strain could be avoided by sucking it up and commuting.  The first school I worked at was an hour and a half each way.  And before that my very first early-20s, post-college pre-grad school job, the commute was a good hour each way.  Lots of 22-yr-olds can't afford to live right near the city they work in.
  • Options
    Agreed @short+sassy, I have a lot of questions about LW's approach to any of this. 

Also if LW is going to get a job in the city where GF is moving to, there's no reason for GF to move in with BFF since LW will be there and they can move in together in that city?  Also, there's no compromise on area? Why can't LW and GF find a living situation closer to GF's job but in a lower cost of living area than right in the city? 

But yeah, the 'omg we can live way rent-reduced and I can use this to my advantage' is not a good look when you're trying to invite yourself into a situation. It's not about you and highlighting how it may benefit you looks sus.   Honestly, LW sounds like they have FOMO on this friendship and are possibly jealous since when GF lived with BFF, it was the 'best time' of their life.  

Again, I wonder how long they've been together.  It reeks of early 20's-just-starting-real-life-insecurity.  Which is totally normal, but moving in with GF's BFF  (or pressuring GF to ask if LW can tag along) isn't the answer. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    Agreed @short+sassy, I have a lot of questions about LW's approach to any of this. 

Also if LW is going to get a job in the city where GF is moving to, there's no reason for GF to move in with BFF since LW will be there and they can move in together in that city?  Also, there's no compromise on area? Why can't LW and GF find a living situation closer to GF's job but in a lower cost of living area than right in the city? 

But yeah, the 'omg we can live way rent-reduced and I can use this to my advantage' is not a good look when you're trying to invite yourself into a situation. It's not about you and highlighting how it may benefit you looks sus.   Honestly, LW sounds like they have FOMO on this friendship and are possibly jealous since when GF lived with BFF, it was the 'best time' of their life.  

Again, I wonder how long they've been together.  It reeks of early 20's-just-starting-real-life-insecurity.  Which is totally normal, but moving in with GF's BFF  (or pressuring GF to ask if LW can tag along) isn't the answer. 
    I'm curious about the rental price points for the "halfway" mark.

If it's affordable, they could move in together in that area.  The g/f would be 30 minutes from the better paying job and the LW could keep their own job and only be 30 minutes away also.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think GF is planning on them moving in together at all. 

It's time for a real conversation, but I'm getting the impression that either LW is taking a vague someday conversation and turning it into right now plan or GF is on the way out. 
  • Options
    I don't think GF is planning on them moving in together at all. 

It's time for a real conversation, but I'm getting the impression that either LW is taking a vague someday conversation and turning it into right now plan or GF is on the way out. 
    Wondering this too….