Snarky Brides

Unpopular Opinions

Re: Unpopular Opinions

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:bf5c5ba4-347c-41dd-a85f-30462203b779">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]There was a really bad accident around here recently where a truck tboned a van full of farm workers and 11 people ended up dying. I saw an article today and it said the first responders were horrified by the amount of people pulling over and taking pics and videos. I think thats sickening and I think laws should be put in place that if you are caught doing something like that you would get a hefty fine. I cant even express how disrespectful I think it is to gawk and need to document for your own purposes someones death. Gross.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]
    What's sad is most people probably do it so that they can sell it to the news companies who didn't get there yet.  And I totaly agree.  All that does is cause MORE danger on the roads.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:bf5c5ba4-347c-41dd-a85f-30462203b779">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]There was a really bad accident around here recently where a truck tboned a van full of farm workers and 11 people ended up dying. I saw an article today and it said the first responders were horrified by the amount of people pulling over and taking pics and videos. I think thats sickening and I think laws should be put in place that if you are caught doing something like that you would get a hefty fine. I cant even express how disrespectful I think it is to gawk and need to document for your own purposes someones death. Gross.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

Ditto this.  When the 35W bridge collapsed back in 2008 (do you all remember hearing about that?), I lived about 2 blocks away from one end of the bridge.  I could never get to my apartment, because so many cars were parked (illegally) on the street from people going to watch. FFS, people were still trapped in their cars underwater at that point. People were DEAD in the water and you're gawking? WTF is wrong with you?

I mean, I used to intentionally drive by months later, because it was fascinating to watch the removal of all the steel/concrete and the construction of the new bridge. But everyone was rescued and bodies were 'recovered' at that point.
  • When I was a server, we had an employee ask to reduce his hours because it was cutting into his welfare check. 

Not kidding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:083aaf03-afd3-4753-b673-ec549f5d7a01">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think any mother who doesn't vaccinate her kids (I mean the basic ones,  not a flu shot) should have to alert everyone about it so that people can avoid her and them. And I do not want to invite a close family member's child to my wedding because she won't be vaccinate against things like measles and Whooping cough which are now making a comeback. I swear if my grandma gets measles and dies because of this...  (Rant over)
    Posted by Rummi302[/QUOTE]

*high five*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:4f15e014-e799-4dd4-bbaf-91f756e7a6da">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : Are different people doing the same jobs getting a different % of COL?
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

Nope. Basically everyone who works in the school gets a 3% COL raise. It's mostly just semantics, but it irks me that it's to cover "cost of living" but is such a different dollar amount based on the person's salary. Some of the higher ups (who make the most) were actually pushing to have it changed to a graduated raise so those who made the least salary wise got a bigger increase to cover for inflation than those who made over $80k.

I think all people just need to feed their kid in the healthiest way they can and stop cricitizing others. I will never say boo about a formula fed baby, because it's perfectly healthy and the decision of the parents, but ffs people (not you guys, people in general) get off my ass about me chosing to breastfeed my baby. It's not gross, weird, or something I do to "get my rocks off".

Bec - I may have written down your "took away her door" story for when my (then) hypothetical and now real child gets older.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:db99a1c5-f45c-43d8-b28d-4877314dd648">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Along with nebbs, I think the papparazi should be illegal and they should go to jail or be heavily fined for harassment. I don't care for the argument that the celebrities bring it on themselves for choosing that lifestyle. It's a job, same as mine or yours, and if you (general you) go to the movies then you utilize that service. So why are you okay knowing these people are harassed for your pleasure? I mean, people talk about boycotting stores for the way they treat their workers, so why are celebrities different?
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]
    I dont give a crap about celebrities walking around doing normal people things like shopping, walking their dogs, or eating. Its stupid that the is an INDUSTRY founded on harassing these peoples and photographing it. I dont need to see celebrities, they can make their shows and movies and I will be happy. I sorta judge the people who support the papparazi by buying those magazines or reading those sites. 
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:da6f118b-bf07-4c5a-8b1a-8da79845d89b">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : See, I choose not to be friends with catty girls, of course. But every girl should be able to find a good girlfriend, and I just think it's important to cherish those friendships. I guess I just don't believe it when there are girls who say they can't keep girlfriends because they just don't like girls.
    Posted by jennamarie10[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree I think I used to have a lot of self - esteem issues in the past that I have worked on a lot.  I used to hate every girl I met.  I also did A LOT of growing up and it took my now best friends (non-catty) to help me get over my issues and realize the ladies aren't that bad and I can at least keep my friends! Ha!</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA:  Let me take a moment to say HOLY "LOL"  I have issues ... deleting them.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:20a6e4b1-18ec-48b6-9ef4-16b7a5b5719f">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]MY UO is that I agree with the dad who shot his daughter's computer. I'm sorry, shot HIS computer that his daughter was using, that he paid for and was about to buy batteries and accessories for after she demanded them. Disrespect me using MY stuff, and I'll do whatever I want with that stuff. Should he broadcast it to the world? No, but he originally posted it on her FB wall and it went viral.  Manda had a bad habit of texting horrible things about me and J for a few weeks, and I ended that by taking MY phone back from her, breaking it in 1/2 and telling her to buy her own phone/plan by getting a job. She slammed MY door to her bedroom in my face a few times when she was out way past curfew, so I took it off the hinges. These were my things, and I did what I wanted to them after she used them to disrespect me. If that makes me a moron or a shitty parent, so be it. 
    Posted by BecW2be[/QUOTE]

I agree with him too Bec.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:004a059d-d877-4e13-87e5-14c360661283">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : Changes nothing about my argument that they shouldn't cover contraceptives just because they cover Viagara, but whatever. Especially since I referenced that I'm referring to prescriptions being used as birth control and not for medical conditions. 
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]
    Both are relative it sexual health. I think that's important. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Oh, I should add that I don't care if other people choose to breast feed.  It doesn't bother me to see it, it just isn't for me.
  • Along with tenure and unions, I'm torn on my feelings of salary schedules.

I think teachers should be judged like any other job when it comes to raises. If I'm doing a good job, then I should get a raise. If I'm not, then I don't deserve one. I don't think it should be test scores to determine that but I'm going to go out on a limb and say my principal knew which teachers were doing a good job and which teachers weren't just from observations.

On the other hand, I know that the money a school or district has is based on funding and if there wasn't a salary schedule in place, teachers could NOT get raises because "there is no funding." However, my county that I taught for hasn't given a salary schedule raise in 3 years and just approved that there will be no raises until 2015. So the salary schedule doesn't even matter.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • JennaMarie - My mom is one of those women who claims she can't make many friends with women because women are bitches.  She's actually said before that it's because she thinks other women view her as a threat because she's so attractive, and she's told my sisters and I that because we are also attractive, we are going to have trouble making friends with women too.

Actually, mom, it's hard for you to make friends with women because you're a bitch, not because you're beautiful.  No one has ever not wanted to be friends with me because of how I look.  FFS.
    panther
  • Breast feeding, formula feeding, I don't care. I understand that women may need to breastfeed in public. But have a little modesty. Yeah, it's a natural thing. But so is having sex and going to the bathroom and I sure don't want to see you doing either of those things! Cover up, there is no reason I need to see your boob flopping around.

• Sparky is about 60% formula fed now. I feel really guilty, but I can't do anything about it. The boy has to eat. To be judged for that by people who have the luxury of a good supply just pisses me off. 
  • I know this comes off as jealous or bitter, but its not really that, but I think its extremely unrealistic that unions negotiate for their members to receive regular raises on a yearly basis. Most normal people dont get guaranteed raises, so why the hell should they! Maybe it would be nice if everyone alive got a raise, or there was a standard merrit system, but I dont think it should be a guarentee for some people and not others.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:da8f7671-73aa-447c-98d4-cecbefb87ff6">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : <strong> For a lot of women, birth control is used to control a medical condition they didn't choose to have (PCOS, etc).</strong> As a former employee of a self-insured Catholic institution, I saw first hand the embarrassment that a woman had to go through to get her BC pills covered by our insurance, because they were used to treat a horribly painful condition. She had to get a note from her doctor and give it to the Bishop so he could call the insurance administrator company and authorize her to have them EVERY 6 MONTHS. I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd want to have to do that.  So the argument may be apples to oranges for you, but its not for everyone. How would you feel if you had to approach your bishop and explain your girly part issues in detail? 
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

She even said in her post about the exemption if it's purpose is non contraceptive (ie for a reason out of your control). 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:3ddbe6ab-c146-42fa-8753-9870353c7249">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Breast feeding, formula feeding, I don't care. I understand that women may need to breastfeed in public. But have a little modesty. Yeah, it's a natural thing. But so is having sex and going to the bathroom and I sure don't want to see you doing either of those things! Cover up, there is no reason I need to see your boob flopping around.
    Posted by NicoleSahara[/QUOTE]

<div>You go eat your lunch with a blanket over your head and I'll cover my son's. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:01f88641-88af-44d3-a751-53be0661aed9">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : She even said in her post about the exemption if it's purpose is non contraceptive (ie for a reason out of your control). 
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]
    I just don't think a woman should have to explain her reasons. Its embarrassing and no one's damned business why she wants to take it. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:db99a1c5-f45c-43d8-b28d-4877314dd648">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Along with nebbs, I think the papparazi should be illegal and they should go to jail or be heavily fined for harassment. I don't care for the argument that the celebrities bring it on themselves for choosing that lifestyle. It's a job, same as mine or yours, and if you (general you) go to the movies then you utilize that service. So why are you okay knowing these people are harassed for your pleasure? I mean, people talk about boycotting stores for the way they treat their workers, so why are celebrities different?
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

In cases where papparazi are encroaching on people's personal and private property, fuckyes they should be prosecuted - but as a journalist myself, I know what kind of information I can get legally.  Here, I can take photos of you inside your house if you have your windows open and I'm standing on the sidewalk, since the sidewalk is public property.  If the papparazi is obtaining their information legally I have no problem with it whatsoever.  Being a famous person and in the public eye makes you interesting to the public, and the public wants to know stuff about you.  Doesn't make it "right," but it's kind of a reality of being famous.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:01f88641-88af-44d3-a751-53be0661aed9">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : She even said in her post about the exemption if it's purpose is non contraceptive (ie for a reason out of your control). 
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

<div>But erectile dysfunction means that a man cannot have an erection long enough for successful sexual activity. So both are based on sex and choosing to have sex. </div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:c7147a16-1092-4daa-ab8b-9b181e231220">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : You go eat your lunch with a blanket over your head and I'll cover my son's. 
    <p>The thing that bothers me about statements like this is that its not like your son (or anyones kid) is doing much. He is sucking. For an adult to eat there is picking up, moving around and actual activity involved so it isnt even a logical comparison.</p><p> </p><p>I still remember when I got reamed out for saying tampon in front of someones kid. Its ok for me to have to look at some strangers tit, but its not ok for me to say tampon? Fuckk that noise.</p>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:6f00e221-92f6-4aee-81de-15797a8b3e1f">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : I just don't think a woman should have to explain her reasons. Its embarrassing and no one's damned business why she wants to take it. 

That I agree with.  But I disagree with BC being a necessity for contraceptive purposes like it is for women with medical conditions.  I don't see contraception as a "sexual health".  There are PLENTY of women out there that use zero contraception (for wahtever reason) and are still perfectly healthy.  Honestly, I think this situation would be much more acceptable if employees working for Catholic employers still had the OPTION for coverage, but had to pay whtever extra it costs to have it covered (if they weren't using it for medical purposes).  That way the coverage is still there, but nobody is being forced to go against their religious beliefs to pay for it for them.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:da6f118b-bf07-4c5a-8b1a-8da79845d89b">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : See, I choose not to be friends with catty girls, of course. But every girl should be able to find a good girlfriend, and I just think it's important to cherish those friendships. I guess I just don't believe it when there are girls who say they can't keep girlfriends because they just don't like girls.
    Posted by jennamarie10[/QUOTE]

Sure every girl "should"  find a good friend but thats not always possible. I have a really hard time making friends, so you just take what you can get.  If its someone of a different gender then who cares.

I have found some good girlfriends who are people I enjoy but its not for everyone. Sometimes you just can't find
    ETA: friend
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:f9064005-875b-4ecd-87f9-2f33ae72f22d">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : In cases where papparazi are encroaching on people's personal and private property, fuckyes they should be prosecuted - but as a journalist myself, I know what kind of information I can get legally.  Here, I can take photos of you inside your house if you have your windows open and I'm standing on the sidewalk, since the sidewalk is public property.  If the papparazi is obtaining their information legally I have no problem with it whatsoever.  Being a famous person and in the public eye makes you interesting to the public, and the public wants to know stuff about you.  Doesn't make it "right," but it's kind of a reality of being famous.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

I understand the sidewalk is public property thing (probably why celebs have huge gated homes), but what about when a celeb is walking down the sidewalk and being stalked by 15 papparazi with huge flashing cameras and they are being told repeatedly to go away? Or when tehy are in their car and people are sticking cameras in the window?

If that was you or me, we could call the cops and say these people are stalking and harassing me. Why do celebs not get that same respect?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:c7147a16-1092-4daa-ab8b-9b181e231220">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : You go eat your lunch with a blanket over your head and I'll cover my son's. 

I'm curious here, I don't know any moms that nurse in public without covering up, it's only strangers I've seen do it. Do you really feel comfortable with that? I know my dad has mentioned how awkward and uncomfortable he felt being around a woman when she wasn't covered up, not that there was anything sexual about it, but that we didn't want to inadvertently look the wrong way or for her to think she was looking at her, stuff like that.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:2be06571-c938-442c-9ce1-56f7167128cb">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : The thing that bothers me about statements like this is that its not like your son (or anyones kid) is doing much. He is sucking. For an adult to eat there is picking up, moving around and actual activity involved so it isnt even a logical comparison.   I still remember when I got reamed out for saying tampon in front of someones kid. Its ok for me to have to look at some strangers tit, but its not ok for me to say tampon? Fuckk that noise.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]
    But it is. He hates having a blanket onhis head. It makes him hot and he feels like he's suffocating. He likes to look at me while he nurses. It makes him just as uncomfortable as it would make you, and he won't eat that way, which means he would go hungry. I agree with being discreet, and not taking your whole shirt off. When I nurse in public, you see less of my boob (and no nipple, since its in his damned mouth), than most women show in cleavage at work. 
  • In regard to viagra/birth control, I think it's nice that men can have their penis issues covered by insurance, but I do think it's unfair that birth control isn't covered.  FFS, so men get to go out and plow you and you don't get a break on something that will prevent him from getting you pregnant?  Just seems dumb to me since they both relate to personal sexual health and I agree with SarahP that it's a private matter and why a woman takes birth control is no one's business but hers and her doctor's.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:a80bbca4-d3f7-42f0-937b-22fe62238181">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In regard to viagra/birth control, I think it's nice that men can have their penis issues covered by insurance, but I do think it's unfair that birth control isn't covered.  FFS, so men get to go out and plow you and you don't get a break on something that will prevent him from getting you pregnant?  Just seems dumb to me since they both relate to personal sexual health and I agree with SarahP that it's a private matter and why a woman takes birth control is no one's business but hers and her doctor's.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with this 100%</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Hi, can I play?

My UO: I'm totally for universal healthcare.  I know people were all "OMG OBAMA'S A SOCIALIST" but it blows my mind that I have educated, 20-something friends who are spending $500 or more PER MONTH for health care because their job doesn't provide insurance, or who are going without healthcare altogether because they can't afford the out-of-pocket expenses.

My best friend just got diagnosed with hodgkin's lymphoma, she's 29 and thankfully DOES have insurance.  But my God, imagine if she didn't?  She'd never have found it.  How many other young people are out there with undiscovered illnesses because they can't afford healthcare?
  • My unpop op (or maybe pop op?)  is that I don't need to see images of skinned alive, burned, beaten, blown up animals on a daily basis to know what animal abuse is OR looks like.  If people really care they will donate whenever they please and not just because a picture of a beheaded dog pops up on their computer screen.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards