Options

"Sheet Music" advised medical exam?

2»

Re: "Sheet Music" advised medical exam?

• Options
    LadyArkhamLadyArkham member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_sheet-music-advised-medical-exam?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:08406d7e-3773-44e3-9785-0e53bcca295bPost:b4b52289-e7d3-4606-af4e-41a6fff6b38a">Re: "Sheet Music" advised medical exam?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Sheet Music" advised medical exam? :   I would ask again, how do you know for certain that a partner has no sexual history?  One can only be certain of their own history. [/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>If I wasn't certain, there would be serious issues with my marriage in addition to the possibility of STDs.</div><div>
    </div><div>[QUOTE]<div> So once a person becomes sexually active, yes, I think pap smears are necessary. [/QUOTE] </div><div>
    </div><div>Me too.</div><div>
    </div><div>[QUOTE]  Also, I'm pretty certain that most doctors would tell a woman, as you said ""You should have a pap smear, if <conditions />" anyway.  That's all I would ever assume a doctor to tell a patient.  [/QUOTE]</div><div>
    </div><div>The fact that several doctors have told me the exact opposite, and one nurse practictioner actually performed one on me after I had explicitly told her, "I don't feel I need this. I am not sexually active at all. I do not want this. I do not want a pap smear," seems to say otherwise. Doctors [i]have[/i] to assume you may be dishonest about your sexual activity, or not understand what risky activity is. When I complained to the practice I went to about the procedure I had, the doctor assured me that it is good to have a pap smear "to get into the habit" of having one yearly.</div><div>
    </div><div>[QUOTE]So are we agreeing or disagreeing?  This is just the Internet and obviously no one has changed anyone else's mind.  So there's no point to banter back and forth.  I hope LadyArkham got her question answered and that she will always take her sexual health seriously.</div><div>Posted by louieblue[/QUOTE]</div><div>
    </div><div>I think we're agreeing, but I felt like I needed to stop and defend my position from attacks, especially when aspersions were cast on my future pharmacy practice. I only mentioned that to back up that I know what I'm talking about with regards to myself. It's something I've done some research on, especially after my negative experience, and it makes me so sad that a lot of abstinent Christian women don't understand the basic facts about pap smears and HPV. Weighing the risks vs. the benefits is a personal decision, yes - but the medical world is offering information aimed at a sexually active society, and not at people for whom abstinence is normal. </div></div>
    Visit Purple.weddings.com
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't blame you for being angry that a medical procedure was performed when you specifically asked that it not be; I'd be angry too.  I think the bigger picture issue here is that you need to find a dr you are comfortable with!  As many of us have stated, not all drs, PAs or LNPs are the way that you've experienced.  I adore my dr and don't mind my yearly physical at all because she's very gently and communicative.  I know what she's doing and why, and I trust her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards