Wedding Etiquette Forum

Is it too early for FFF?

Re: Is it too early for FFF?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_early-fff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6d8c0c9a-5b9c-4183-a036-54735f6ecf8fPost:a6c2eaa1-b608-493f-bf40-c42bb7698d2f">Re: Is it too early for FFF?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nugget beat me to it :) And thanks for explaining - I see what you meant now and genuinely didn't understand before.
    Posted by emilyinchile[/QUOTE]

Why do you and your 90's bangs always have to be so nice and reasonable.  You're f*cking it up for the rest of us.  KNOCK IT OFF.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_early-fff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6d8c0c9a-5b9c-4183-a036-54735f6ecf8fPost:0b32198d-5f78-4a81-b9ed-5eb3cc1e4d24">Re: Is it too early for FFF?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it too early for FFF? : We're aiming to do it when I'm ABD, so in about 2.5/3 years. We figure at that point I'll just be doing diss research and writing, so I'll have the most flexible schedule ever. We have some friends who did that and it worked great for them. And if it takes me an extra year to write my diss, oh well. I'm also in the humanities, so it isn't like I need to be at a lab 60 hours a week. It's more like doing archives a lot, which is really just like going to the library.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

You do history right?I think I saw that in your bio or a previous post or something. I just finished my MA in Modern European history this August and thought I wanted to go for a PhD in Medieval or Early Modern.

I never though about doing in that way and having kids when you are done with coursework, but that sounds like a good plan. It wouldn't have worked as well for me since archives I need are mainly on the other side of the Atlantic.

Overall though I don't have geographic flexibility for academia. There are a lot of places I am not willing to go, even for tenure. And I am an archivist now and I am happy doing that. I might go for an MLS later. And I might even change my mind and go for a PhD. Good luck with the applications!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_early-fff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6d8c0c9a-5b9c-4183-a036-54735f6ecf8fPost:c9763b93-c692-40a8-b19b-7352d98a2bea">Re: Is it too early for FFF?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it too early for FFF? : Thanks! I wish she'd let me get more pictures of her. I just get tired of people twisting what I said into whatever they deem convenient for the purpose of the conversation. The question was, does kps change the way you feel/post/something and I responded yes. <strong>That doesn't mean I'm going to validate bad ideas, ignore blatant bs, and hand out cotton candy and balloons.</strong>
    Posted by marriedfilingjointly[/QUOTE]

For sure, but tangentially related - most of us didn't feel Kiki was doing anything wrong or being hypocritical in any way, which is where the WTFness comes in.

On another note, I had a dream that I had a hedgehog named Charlotte, and I thought of you. I'm not sure how my cats would deal with a hedgehog. In the dream I was carrying her around in my purse.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • stellaella - thank you for flaming my cousin.  He and his wife should be flamed for at least a couple more years.  I flame your cousin as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_early-fff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6d8c0c9a-5b9c-4183-a036-54735f6ecf8fPost:03c5c796-8e0f-4d9f-baef-753e89657b5b">Re: Is it too early for FFF?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it too early for FFF? : Why do you and your 90's bangs always have to be so nice and reasonable.  You're f*cking it up for the rest of us.  KNOCK IT OFF.
    Posted by NuggetBrain[/QUOTE]

I tried to get her cute bangs at my last haircut. I have a cowlick at my temple and my bangs being that short ain't workin so hot for me. I wonder how those Jessica Simpson clips would work.

• LOL Bang clips.
  • I made the mistake of trying for those bangs once.  Stupid heifer cut my sh*t halfway between my scalp and forehead.  It looked like a drunken cat had attacked my hair.   NEVAR AGAIN.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_early-fff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6d8c0c9a-5b9c-4183-a036-54735f6ecf8fPost:03c5c796-8e0f-4d9f-baef-753e89657b5b">Re: Is it too early for FFF?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it too early for FFF? : Why do you and your 90's bangs always have to be so nice and reasonable.  You're f*cking it up for the rest of us.  KNOCK IT OFF.
    Posted by NuggetBrain[/QUOTE]

Me and my hair come from an after school special. We might get in a little tiff, but we hug it out by the end of the half hour.
  • I always like bangs the day I get them - and then never again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had bangs like that during the summer but it would get really humid and they would curl up and I looked like I had a duck bill.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_early-fff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6d8c0c9a-5b9c-4183-a036-54735f6ecf8fPost:464183d3-7ba0-41f0-a3ca-8d7784718aea">Re: Is it too early for FFF?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it too early for FFF? : You do history right?I think I saw that in your bio or a previous post or something. I just finished my MA in Modern European history this August and thought I wanted to go for a PhD in Medieval or Early Modern.  I never though about doing in that way and having kids when you are done with coursework, but that sounds like a good plan. It wouldn't have worked as well for me since archives I need are mainly on the other side of the Atlantic. Overall though I don't have geographic flexibility for academia. There are a lot of places I am not willing to go, even for tenure. And I am an archivist now and I am happy doing that. I might go for an MLS later. And I might even change my mind and go for a PhD. Good luck with the applications!
    Posted by annakb8[/QUOTE]

Oh, eff that. I don't want to learn 3-4 languages, lol. Especially with Medieval. My minor field right now is in Middle Eastern history and my professor literally knows at least a little of 6 different languages - French, German, Arabic, some Farsi, some Hebrew and I think she's learning either Aramaic or Turkish. I study American history and I've been lucky because aside from a week-long trip to Mississippi, all the archives I've needed (film history) have basically been in LA. I'm applying to programs in SoCal, Boston and NC. So worst case scenario I have to travel to LA and DC to do research.

I'm finishing up my MA in History this year. I'm fairly flexible with where I'd go, though obviously I like some cities better than others. I'd prefer a city to a small town, but some college towns are nice. I'm also willing to do something aside from teaching, like Library of Congress or a major historical society or something. My husband does need to be near a major city, but if he can get a job where he can work from home (likely) he'll be fine. PS, my brother works in historic preservation. Not archival, but he works for the NY state parks and rec department which oversee the historic landmarks. Specifically he works at an 18th century fort. He loves it and he'd like to work for them in Albany, too, someday.

I have friends doing PhDs now. There's no way the first two years would be flexible enough to fit in kids. I'm assuming it will be hell, actually. But I've been doing my MA program 2/3 time vs. full time while I work full time, so I'm at least happy about being able to be in school full time without working.

Edit: And thanks! I need luck. If I don't get in, I'll have to decide if I want to apply again next year, probably to other programs, or if I want to apply to a teaching credential program, or if I want to stay at my job, or try to get a different job with my MA.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Mery - my cousin got her MA in Historic Preservation and works for the government going to all kinds of crazy countries and working on US Embassies there.  That plus your brother working at afort makes me want to get into that! :)
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_early-fff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6d8c0c9a-5b9c-4183-a036-54735f6ecf8fPost:1d643201-2553-4715-b02b-02d273e4393e">Re: Is it too early for FFF?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mery - my cousin got her MA in Historic Preservation and works for the government going to all kinds of crazy countries and working on US Embassies there.  That plus your brother working at afort makes me want to get into that! :)
    Posted by FutureMrsTR[/QUOTE]

OMG I want this job. Except I kind of hate historic preservation. When ever we talked about it in class (I also did some public history coursework) I thought it was a total snoozefest.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_early-fff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6d8c0c9a-5b9c-4183-a036-54735f6ecf8fPost:1d643201-2553-4715-b02b-02d273e4393e">Re: Is it too early for FFF?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mery - my cousin got her MA in Historic Preservation and works for the government going to all kinds of crazy countries and working on US Embassies there.  That plus your brother working at afort makes me want to get into that! :)

The fort's pretty cool. They basically do a bunch of camping and dressing up in the summer. It's called "reenactments." they have some French and Indian War and War of 1812 reenactments. And he does a bunch of office work, writing and grunt work too.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Anna - she is constantly traveling to countries I've never heard of and comes back with awesome pictures.  I'm kind of jealous, but I don't know if I could travel that much.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_early-fff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6d8c0c9a-5b9c-4183-a036-54735f6ecf8fPost:f682c18d-3ae9-4231-be54-4ffcad6333ec">Re: Is it too early for FFF?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anna - she is constantly traveling to countries I've never heard of and comes back with awesome pictures.  I'm kind of jealous, but I don't know if I could travel that much.

Study European history and you can rationalize all sorts of trips. Most of my pics are from when I lived in Germany during the summer of 09 to study German for school. It was such a sacrafice, but my education comes first, you know?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_early-fff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6d8c0c9a-5b9c-4183-a036-54735f6ecf8fPost:71f78fba-8514-4cc7-ad84-6f6b02a7b62a">Re: Is it too early for FFF?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just realized the "Is she from MS" makes it sound like I am making fun of MS lol. I am in MS. as well, so I wasn't. I love my state.
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]

Haha, I'm not gonna lie, I WAS thinking that's what you were going after lol. But now that you say you're from here too, I think I remember you saying that once before =)
  • Okay, so, forgive me for being new, but what the hell is "FFF"? 
  • Hey, I'm down for a fish fry any time.  Friday, not Friday, Friday not during Lent, whenever. 
  • I like fried halibut, I'll take it if you have it.  Or grouper.
  • I'm kind of new to this still, and most of the time I think I've figured out what some of the acronyms are but others (like FFF) I am lost! 
  • Free Flame Friday
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Dang. I'm allergic to fish.
  • dnb- I finally had some time to get on FB (I can't get to it at work) and I'm stalking all my new friends. I might have to do a roll call. I'm not sure I know who all of them are! LOL!
  • Flame Free Friday but it's never FF and that is the beauty of it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_early-fff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6d8c0c9a-5b9c-4183-a036-54735f6ecf8fPost:c9763b93-c692-40a8-b19b-7352d98a2bea">Re: Is it too early for FFF?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it too early for FFF? : Thanks! I wish she'd let me get more pictures of her. I just get tired of people twisting what I said into whatever they deem convenient for the purpose of the conversation. The question was, does kps change the way you feel/post/something and I responded yes. That doesn't mean I'm going to validate bad ideas, ignore blatant bs, and hand out cotton candy and balloons.

I gotcha and I shouldn't have made assumptions anyway because I think I missed something that happened with KiKi? I'm not trying to drudge it up but you & Nebb mentioned Kiki dishing it out and I clearly missed all of that hooplah. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Holy crap, how come when I'm at work FFF is dead?  Then I take a day off and it blows the F up??  WHAT?  I WAS DRINKING GLOGG!

MFJ, the part I don't understand is what you think was blatant BS in my post?  Do you mean where Nebb said "Didn't you say your H makes 50k more than you?" and I said "No"?  Because I was being literal, not lying.  I was answering her question, and the answer was no.  That's not BS.  (I may have been being a bit of a brat, but not BS'ing.)

Anyhoo, I like you too Stella!  :)  I'm sweet like... 75% of the time.
  • I'm not going to argue semantics with you.  It was funny and I said "ha."  The end.

Now I really want fish and chips and malt vinegar. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_early-fff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6d8c0c9a-5b9c-4183-a036-54735f6ecf8fPost:8dfbb391-bf22-4273-8d34-7e9638a63049">Re: Is it too early for FFF?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not going to argue semantics with you.  It was funny and I said "ha."  The end. Now I really want fish and chips and malt vinegar. 
    MALT VINEGAR!! I love you!.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_early-fff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6d8c0c9a-5b9c-4183-a036-54735f6ecf8fPost:94ea3b37-58c6-4e19-b22f-bbba0debe963">Re: Is it too early for FFF?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it too early for FFF? : I think the implication was that it was ironic for Emily to be bravo-ing J&K for reading posts without bias, when the second quote was Emily doing just that. Or at least, that's how I took it.
    Posted by Anysunrise[/QUOTE]

Super late to this, but I just got home. But yes, this is exactly how I meant it, and I thought Emily and I had talked it out. I posted it with a "hmm" because to me it was contradictory, I felt the posts spoke for themselves and that it was a more inquiring way to bring it up, rather than yelling about crates of hippos or hurling accusations.

Also, as anyone who read the thread can see, I said absolutely nothing about Kiki or her finances, Nebb, OR the actual topic being argued, so I'm confused at whoever said I was "backing up" Nebb (I think it was Smokey?). I think it's lame when things get reduced to a "one side or the other" mentality just because someone decides to talk about some other potentially controversial aspect of the discussion.

ETA: Oh and Emily, the bangs get a "hot!" and not a "hmm." ;)

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards